Two related questions about making and posting lists

Rexorcist

Question

OK, first, a little subtext.  On the last metal board I joined, I planned on surprising them with a top 100 metal albums list, and the mod who invited me there from Movieforums said I could maybe get the list featured on another mod's blog.  However, that place isn;t really working out.  The few active people there don't actually wanna talk metal, getting completely off-topic, and the mods don't wanna do anything about it.  So my two questions are simple:

1. Is there a special subforum for posting top 100 lists or lists of any kind?

2. I really doubt this, but is there a Metalforum blog where users can post lists with commentary, and what does it take to get it featured?

16 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

We must be speaking up to different fans then, don’t worry though I think by now every metal genre has reached its creative peak.

If you truly believe every metal genre has reached it's peak then I feel sorry for you. I feel even more sorry that you feel that way but keep listening to it. Maybe you'll get more satisfaction from Taylor Swift?

16 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I fixed it for ya again mate. No charge!  😘

If one is delusional then the denial they live in does not actually exist.

6 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Haha...obviously I can't stand Watchtower either, and I've never been a huge fan of AJFA except for Harvester. It was all progressively downhill after they peaked with Ride the Lightning as far as I'm concerned. Don't see AJFA as particularly proggy though, just bloated and chuggy and boring. 

I hate to agree about Justice, but here I am, agreeing. :(

Just gonna say it.  The last forum I was on wasn't that great because, unlike this place which answered my questions, the last thread's users went brutally off-topic right from the get-go.  But I got y answers and I'm really enjoying this conversation.  Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Also, on the subject of whether or not certain thrash songs are good, let me admit that I kinda like this song from an otherwise meh album.

6 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

If you truly believe every metal genre has reached it's peak then I feel sorry for you. I feel even more sorry that you feel that way but keep listening to it. Maybe you'll get more satisfaction from Taylor Swift?

If one is delusional then the denial they live in does not actually exist.

Unless the denial itself IS the delusion.

hey-day: the period of a person's or thing's greatest success, popularity, or vigor.

Alright you stubborn old coot. Let's say for the sake of argument that maybe you prefer modern day thrash over the old 80's stuff. And I can say for sure I definitely prefer modern day death & black metal over their old 90's counterparts, as well as preferring blackened thrash over the old non-blackened variety. But we're just two old dudes and this does not mean that these sub-genres' periods of greatest successes and popularity are not in the past. They've peaked.

No one is saying that your music sucks or that thrash metal's shit. No one is saying there's not gonna be any good music coming out anymore. There will probably always be some bands to keep these old traditional sub-genres alive even after we're dead. But sub-genres have been mixing together quite a bit over the last 20 years, and this has created new hybrids and new sub-sub-genres and that's where the excitemnt lies for a lot of younger people.

Now me I'm more of a purist that likes modern bands' takes on established sub-genres. A lot of people these days seem to prefer music that does new things and goes new places and is not afraid to stray outside of traditional sub-genre boundaries. Not me, I like bands that stick to the template for the most part. And I find lots of black and death metal new releases that do just that. So I'm quite happy with the current state of metal, but still I'm aware that these genres' hey-days are in the past. 

27 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Perhaps plateaud would be A more accurate description. either way I can still enjoy the genre plenty without considering anything that’s happening to be particularly groundbreaking.

Plateaued, peaked, pinnacled, call it whatever you like but for me if I thought there was not something to look forward to then I wouldn't bother looking forward.

5 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Unless the denial itself IS the delusion.

hey-day: the period of a person's or thing's greatest success, popularity, or vigor.

Alright you stubborn old coot. Let's say for the sake of argument that maybe you prefer modern day thrash over the old 80's stuff. And I can say for sure I definitely prefer modern day death & black metal over their old 90's counterparts, as well as preferring blackened thrash over the old non-blackened variety. But we're just two old dudes and this does not mean that these sub-genres' periods of greatest successes and popularity are not in the past. They've peaked.

No one is saying that your music sucks or that thrash metal's shit. No one is saying there's not gonna be any good music coming out anymore. There will probably always be some bands to keep these old traditional sub-genres alive even after we're dead. But sub-genres have been mixing together quite a bit over the last 20 years, and this has created new hybrids and new sub-sub-genres and that's where the excitemnt lies for a lot of younger people.

Now me I'm more of a purist that likes modern bands' takes on established sub-genres. A lot of people these days seem to prefer music that does new things and goes new places and is not afraid to stray outside of traditional sub-genre boundaries. Not me, I like bands that stick to the template for the most part. And I find lots of black and death metal new releases that do just that. So I'm quite happy with the current state of metal, but still I'm aware that these genres' hey-days are in the past. 

What if the delusion is that others are simply on a different planet...oh hang on that might not be a delusion

The thing is we are in a circular conversation where no one can be right or wrong. There is nothing incorrect with you suggesting thrash peaked 30 odd years ago because for you it did. But to say definitively that all thrash for all people peaked at the same time isn't correct.

Putting an exact year on this so called peak also doesn't do much because while it's still entirely correct that for you thrash peaked with X album in X year, a thousand other people could counter with a heap of other albums from year Y or Z.

So back to the stubborn old coot bit, I might also be stubborn with technicalities, and opinions, even when shared by multiple people are not always hard and fast facts.

There’s plenty to look forward to though Ku, it’s not mutually exclusive to both believe metal has plateaued and that there are new bands making music I might enjoy, or Albums I haven’t heard from Bens who were making music in what I perceive to be the golden age for each individual sub genre. Help just this week I discovered probably 20 new albums from 1999 I’m on…

40 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Plateaued, peaked, pinnacled, call it whatever you like but for me if I thought there was not something to look forward to then I wouldn't bother looking forward.

What if the delusion is that others are simply on a different planet...oh hang on that might not be a delusion

The thing is we are in a circular conversation where no one can be right or wrong. There is nothing incorrect with you suggesting thrash peaked 30 odd years ago because for you it did. But to say definitively that all thrash for all people peaked at the same time isn't correct.

Putting an exact year on this so called peak also doesn't do much because while it's still entirely correct that for you thrash peaked with X album in X year, a thousand other people could counter with a heap of other albums from year Y or Z.

So back to the stubborn old coot bit, I might also be stubborn with technicalities, and opinions, even when shared by multiple people are not always hard and fast facts.

I know you're technically a fruit who kills, but do you speak English? The sub-genre known as thrash metal had its hey-day over 30 years ago. This is a fact. How you or I or anyone feels about the quality of various thrash albums or the sub-genre's prospects for longevity and success is neither here nor there. Could thrash metal have a resurgence of popularity and reach unforseen new heights of commercial success in the future? Sure it could, anything's possible. And if that happens we can reassess. But as of right now this evening August 7th 2022 at 11:18 pm EDT its hey-day remains in the past.

21 minutes ago, LightningRider said:

Hey, I've seen this movie before: Grumpy Old Men.

Oh shite. I did dun go away for my afternoon nap an' plum forgotted I was in a heated debate about when the music died.

Oh well, I'll just assume the other parties were nutjobs and didn't put forward a convincing argument.

11 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Oh shite. I did dun go away for my afternoon nap an' plum forgotted I was in a heated debate about when the music died.

Oh well, I'll just assume the other parties were nutjobs and didn't put forward a convincing argument.

This is just two elderly dudes shootin' the shit. I only have my heated debates with Surge or Deadovic because I know from experience they won't take anything personally. Although Surge can get defensive sometimes. 

And for the 10th time, no one said the music died. Only that its period of greatest popularity and success was many moons ago back when it was the only extreme metal sub-genre in town. 

Fuck you! I was in a heated debate, I got worn out in time for my usual afternoon nap. I woke up and the debate is over because it's not as hot any more. If you can't handle the facts as they stand you need to start making your own up to suit a purpose. Oh that's right,you did!!! :P

And they were singing,

Bye Bye, Thrash music has died.

It happened in the 90's, I just can not deny

All metal fans now praise corpse paint and dye

So I'm just gonna fuck off quietly and die!

Now it's time for another nap!

18 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Fuck you! I was in a heated debate, I got worn out in time for my usual afternoon nap. I woke up and the debate is over because it's not as hot any more. If you can't handle the facts as they stand you need to start making your own up to suit a purpose. Oh that's right,you did!!! :P

And they were singing,

Bye Bye, Thrash music has died.

It happened in the 90's, I just can not deny

All metal fans now praise corpse paint and dye

So I'm just gonna fuck off quietly and die!

Now it's time for another nap!

Sounds like someone's really really super duper upset that 'the facts as they stand' are that thrash metal's hey-day was over 30 years ago, and apparently he's not yet willing to accept this fact. Either that or he just can't get a grasp on what 'hey-day' means. But no one's making anything up Vic. I get that thrash is still near and dear to your heart, but convincing yourself that thrash metal is still as popular and as successful and as dominating as it ever was in its hey-day back in the late 80's doesn't make it so. 

But don't blame me man, I'm just the messenger! I didn't invent these other more extreme and very popular metal sub-genres to split up and dilute thrash metal's fan base. I was banging my head to thrash metal back in the 90's just like you were. It wasn't until well after all 3 of these totally terrific sub-genres' hey-days had waned that I finally got into death & black metal. And I have two beloved sub-genres whose hey-days have passed me by to your one, so by rights I should be twice as upset as you are. Except that I can accept reality. 

Alrighty then, this has taken a DeviantArt forum turn...

OK, since I share at least a little responsibility for making the thread, I should throw my two cents in.  It's true that thrash metal is still being made, but there really isn't much of a scene beyond independent artists just carrying something strong on, not like there was in 80's Cali or in Canada.  Thrash isn't hated, it's just that the classics have rarely been replicated.

37 minutes ago, LightningRider said:

Alrighty then, this has taken a DeviantArt forum turn...

OK, since I share at least a little responsibility for making the thread, I should throw my two cents in.  It's true that thrash metal is still being made, but there really isn't much of a scene beyond independent artists just carrying something strong on, not like there was in 80's Cali or in Canada. Thrash isn't hated, it's just that the classics have rarely been replicated.

Replicating classics or the perceived relative quality of the albums from the different eras is not the point. That's completely irrelevant and an entirely separate argument. It's the relative popularity we're talking about here. The business end of things. I guess maybe some people when they really like something, they want to imagine that it's more popular than it actually is.

A sub-genre's hey-day is the period of time when they're selling the most albums, and packing the most venues, and it has the highest visability, and is forming the most bands, and is generating the most record company interest and its making the most money. For thrash metal that time is not right now.

There was a brief period of time for about 5 years in the 80's when thrash metal was the only extreme sub-genre in existence. Its polularity and dominance of the scene was at its peak then. The highest it has ever been. Metalheads couldn't get enough of it. That was a long time ago. By about '90 or '91 death metal had taken over as the hottest selling metal sub-genre with the most buzz. The exact date isn't important. Death metal was the new bandwagon to jump on and many thrash fans jumped.

Thrash still has many loyal and dedicated fans, and has garnered many new fans. It's certainly not dead, there is a scene, but it's not like it used to be back in the mid to late 80's when thrash was king. Kuke knows this. There are more death and black metal bands being formed these days than thrash metal bands. Doesn't mean thrash is dead, thrash is still alive and well it just ain't the only game in town anymore. It has to share musicians and fans/consumers with all the other extreme metal sub-genres now, as well as with all the new commercial metal sub-genres that didn't exist yet in the mid 80's and a few that did. And it's not coming out on top.

According to M-A as of January 31, 2022 the number of currently active bands in each of the 4 main sub-genres of metal was:

Death: 28,169
Black: 25,862
Thrash: 14,476
Heavy: 10,983

In 1987, thrash's hey-day, those numbers would have looked a lot different.

2 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I’m a doom metal fanboy as well GG shouldn’t I be thrice as upset? Oh wait four times for trad. Doom… am I winning yet?

Ah but if you're a doom metal fanboi then clearly you're a masochist and you welcome the pain. You crave it, no you need it. So that negates any sympathy you might've gotten for being gutted over doom metal's hey-day being long gone, because it turns out that was your true hidden goal all along.