Two related questions about making and posting lists

Rexorcist

Question

OK, first, a little subtext.  On the last metal board I joined, I planned on surprising them with a top 100 metal albums list, and the mod who invited me there from Movieforums said I could maybe get the list featured on another mod's blog.  However, that place isn;t really working out.  The few active people there don't actually wanna talk metal, getting completely off-topic, and the mods don't wanna do anything about it.  So my two questions are simple:

1. Is there a special subforum for posting top 100 lists or lists of any kind?

2. I really doubt this, but is there a Metalforum blog where users can post lists with commentary, and what does it take to get it featured?

I'm not sure if the blog feature is open to regular forum members right now, but it's not really much of a draw here either way... stuff pretty much gets seen and responded to no matter where it is. We do have several threads for different lists by genre, by year, "desert island", what have you.

If your list is a general metal top 100, just start a thread for it in General Chat, I'm sure it'll draw some comment from the list-crazed and even the list-curious.

Just now, LightningRider said:

OK, first, a little subtext.  On the last metal board I joined, I planned on surprising them with a top 100 metal albums list, and the mod who invited me there from Movieforums said I could maybe get the list featured on another mod's blog.  However, that place isn;t really working out.  The few active people there don't actually wanna talk metal, getting completely off-topic, and the mods don't wanna do anything about it.  So my two questions are simple:

1. Is there a special subforum for posting top 100 lists or lists of any kind?

2. I really doubt this, but is there a blog where users can post lists with commentary?

We do have threads for top 100 black metal & top 100 death metal albums. We also have a thread entitled top 10 albums of any given year where some of us have been posting lists the last week or two. Blivvie started us off with his 1990 list and we're up to 2000-2001 now. I posted a huge list of all my favorite albums year by year on that same thread some months back. Lots of list threads to be found here and they'll give you some latitude as to where you post your list if you can't find a topic heading which exactly matches your list title. Use the search feature up at the top right it works pretty well for finding threads about whatever you're looking for.  

Sweet.  Thanks for the links, everyone.  But just so you know, when I post it I'm gonna do it Movieforums style.  I'm gonna go from 100 to 1, posting only five at a time and seeing what people have to say.  I might post two groups of five a day, maybe three until it's done.  But I've gotta get it right.  Right now the top 100 list I have is loaded with albums I haven't heard in a long time, so I gotta reevaluate a few of them.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

That's the problem with top 100 lists. They go out of date too quickly. You only post 5 at a time, 10 a day, by the time you're done you'll have already changed your mind about albums 50 - 100.

Not the way I've got it sorted.  Believe it or not, unless I'm already reevaluating the albums in the top 100, it stays consistent.  I've got a master list on my computer that I've been working on since late-2012: every album I've ever heard from best to worst.  It started with only about 30 alums and I've been working my way up ever since.  It's an autism thing, but it's fun.  Plus, no one's done that before.  It's too large to upload at once, though.

And if I do update it, I might make it a yearly thing, depending on how much it changes.

I take it you were borrn in the 90's or something? I'm an old man, I couldn't list all the albums I've ever heard going back to the 60's & 70's, my hard drive's not big enough. I have enough trouble ranking the albums I really like a lot, don't see the utility in ranking every album I've ever heard, like even the shitty ones. What's the point?

And what does this mean, "unless I'm already reevaluating the albums in the top 100, it stays consistent" because it sounds like it means that it stays consistent except when it doesn't.

A: I like making lists in general.  It helps me keep track, and comes in handy when I'm making custom lists for years or genres or other things.

B: It doesn't happen very often, but one a year or so I learn something new about music which helps me re-evaluate my standards on metal, so I go through my top 100 again.  However, it's rare that the whole list changes, and most times I reevaluate an album it stays right where it was before.  In this current update, I've already got that new outlook, but it would only really apply to a few albums on the top 100.  Also, I'm going back to a few albums I haven't heard in years.  Only a few.  The rest is fine.  Basically, it all comes down to one thing: gut instinct.

3 hours ago, LightningRider said:

I like making lists in general.

I think you will fit in well here with 'the list crazed and the list curious.' 

The 'list crazed' will quibble, but if you are one of them - which you must be since you came here for lists - you will enjoy an exchange of quibbles I should think.

13 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Or just posts lists of thrash music and your list is like a worker in a high vis shirt, totally invisible to all those around.

It's 2022 Kuke. The small percentage of kids who are into metal listen to shit like deathcore and metalcore and tech death and djent and prog metal and symphonic type shit now. Good old fashioned thrash metal has become something of an anachronism, especially to those under 30 like I suspect our new list loving friend is.

And as far as us older guys are concerned, I think the type of person who is drawn to join a music forum is likely looking to find some new music, they're not just content to wallow in a comfortable sub-genre whose heyday was over 30 years ago. Not saying there's anything wrong with thrash metal. But we've done the thrash thing, what else ya got?

24 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

And as far as us older guys are concerned, I think the type of person who is drawn to join a music forum is likely looking to find some new music, they're not just content to wallow in a comfortable sub-genre whose heyday was over 30 years ago. Not saying there's anything wrong with thrash metal. But we've done the thrash thing, what else ya got?

I've heard Sinatra's debut album just to say I did.  And my username is a direct reference to a Metallica album.  That ain't even my number one album.  My number one's from the 70's, but that's all I'm saying in the event I wanna put my top 100 albums of all genres and all time up here.

8 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

I like it when people say thrash had it's hey day 30 years ago.

I said over 30 years ago Kuke. By '92 it had already been on the decline for a couple of years. It was no longer cutting edge and it was supplanted by both death and black metal as the hottest state of the art extreme metal sub-genres around. Not dead mind you, there will always be the thrash faithful who will carry the torch for it. But by the late 90's it was passé. The mid 2000's re-thrash revival was a bad joke. Nowadays thrash metal is an anachronism. Doesn't mean you can't still listen to it and bang your head, but as time goes on and more and more younger people will begin to dominate metal forum populations, you have to predict they're bound to be less and less interested in thrash metal. Unless it's been blended with other superior sub-genres.

Same thing will happen to black and death metal sooner or later as well. These sub-genres have largely become 'dad rock' as a good portion of the crowd I see at shows are over 35 or 40 or 45 with kids of their own they left at home because they don't share their appreciation of the music. I see a lot more grey haired old men like us out there at shows & festivals 'n shit now than I do 18 - 25 year olds. Plenty of dudes I'd put as being older than me in their 60's at that Overkill show I went to in March. Back in the 80's everyone at a thrash metal show was under 30 unless they worked at the venue.

23 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Personally I can't stand Vektor so I try to forget about them as much as possible. 

Also like I said, bands like Vektor have blended their thrash with other sub-genres, in their case prog, they're not pure 80's style thrash.

Metallica had a few proggy songs in the 80's, especially from And Justice for All where every song had a fair share of progginess.  Don't forget Watchtower.

Thrash in its purest form peaked by ‘91 Ku, the genre diversified from there with the only revival bands I find noteworthy being Ritual Carnage, Ares Kingdom, and the debut EP from Mastery. Vektor, Black Fast and their contemporaries have blended thrash with other genres, to varied degrees of success.

As for lists changing over time I feel like for the most part the top two or three places seem to stay fairly consistent for me I.e Hammerheart seems to feature prominently in my 1990 at least every time I try to make it.

1 hour ago, LightningRider said:

Metallica had a few proggy songs in the 80's, especially from And Justice for All where every song had a fair share of progginess.  Don't forget Watchtower.

Haha...obviously I can't stand Watchtower either, and I've never been a huge fan of AJFA except for Harvester. It was all progressively downhill after they peaked with Ride the Lightning as far as I'm concerned. Don't see AJFA as particularly proggy though, just bloated and chuggy and boring. 

53 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

It's not a deep insight, it's hardly an insight at all. But for someone to suggest a genre that had its hey-day over 30 years ago had its hey-day over 30 years ago is barely surprising.

Please let me fix that post for you.

It's not surprising because it's the truth as far as most of the rest of the metal world is concerned. LIke I said, I'm not bashing thrash the way you like to bash black metal all in good fun. I'm not even saying there isn't any good thrash anymore. If you happen to really like modern takes on 80's thrash that's marvelous. But still even you must realize that the sub-genre had it's hey-day over 30 years ago. This is unarguable Kuke! Unless we have completely different definitions of the word "hey-day" in our different hemispheres or something.