Metal festivals have become ridiculous

Dead1

On 11/25/2022 at 5:07 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

That's 4 festivals.  Do you mean that you choose just two of them based on who's playing each year?

Yes, we always pick a festival or two in our erea (Europe) and go there.

Luckily for me last year it was the first year of a festival tjat is in my walking distance, main act last year was Harakiri for the sky, this year the first confirmed is 1914. It's 300 meters from my house which I manage on all fours 😀

11 minutes ago, BLAMO said:

Yes, we always pick a festival or two in our erea (Europe) and go there.

Luckily for me last year it was the first year of a festival tjat is in my walking distance, main act last year was Harakiri for the sky, this year the first confirmed is 1914. It's 300 meters from my house which I manage on all fours 😀

At that distance, can't you just get up on your roof with a pair of binoculars and enjoy it for free?

10 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Given at most large concerts & festivals you need a set of binoculars and a raised platform to see the band anyway.

It's in the woods, I never thought forest can damp (I don't know if this is correct term) the sound so much. 

I was hearing the drums last year from my home but even those not too much. 

It's really a small venue, around 300 people max, a picnic place in the woods but it has really great feeling to it. 

I am getting sick of those big festivals. 

Here in Slovenija the biggest festival was Metaldays and 2022 was supposed to be the last one and the one to remember. The only thing I remember is all the overpricing. Festival in Slovenija made for German/Scandinavian people. 

On Saturday we have Nile/Krisiun in Ljubljana and Groza in Zagreb...hard to chose which one to atend 😀

14 hours ago, BLAMO said:

Here in Slovenija the biggest festival was Metaldays and 2022 was supposed to be the last one and the one to remember. The only thing I remember is all the overpricing. Festival in Slovenija made for German/Scandinavian people. 

That's like any major event here in Tasmania - they are for rich mainlanders, not the locals.  Eg when Tom Warrior played in Hobart.

Some of these events now charge like $12 a beer!  Very often even the big alternative arts events exclude local performers, charge mega dollars for tickets and mega dollars for drinks.

In fact for something that's meant to kind of be working class, metal and punk have become exorbitant cash cows and live concerts increasingly out of reach.  

I am originally from Croatia.  My brother lives in Zagreb though I don't think Nile would appeal to him much these days (Rammstein's probably the heaviest he goes).

Drinks and merch prices have been out of hand for years though. Metallica AJFA tour 89, shirts were $15 and a tour guide $15. Megadeth RIP tour 92, $30 for a shirt and $25 for the tour book. Maiden FOD tour, same price. By 2000 shirts had gone up to $40, then to $50 and tour books were upwards of $30.

Beer at the tennis centre or like in Melb has always been around $10 for a shitty plastic cup. But those prices are in line with cafes and restaurants. I was at a Chinese restaurant last week and they wanted $9 for a local beer, $11.50 for imported or craft and $11.50 for a cider in a 330ml bottle. A JD and coke was only $8!

It's far from just a metal or punk thing though, it's across the board for all music/entertainment events. When promoters can pretty much write their own ticket prices without any rhyme or reason to make things affordable, and all other services go out to the highest bidder, the customer/concert goer is always going to pay the price. But the thing is the prices are totally justified by the fact that concerts are sold out, bars are crowded and people are still spending money whether they can afford it or not.

16 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

But the thing is the prices are totally justified by the fact that concerts are sold out, bars are crowded and people are still spending money whether they can afford it or not.

One of Australia's greatest economic asset is that it's people are essentially financially illiterate morons without any clue on managing their finances and get into debt without much thought (Australians are indebted at 120% of GDP second only to Switzerland (130%) and well above 75% average for OECD).

Personally it pisses me off to pay anywhere up to $250 a ticket and then $12 for a drink. 

Oh and that shit hole Hobart charging average of $226 per night for accommodation.

Though it's interesting that everyone I know has stopped going to Hobarts for gigs.   Seeing even a no-name band with a $5 cover charge in Hobart is now like a $300+ trip - accommodation average is $226 and fuel is around $100 (especially as most of road is permanently slowed down due to permanent roadworks). 

I'm with you totally on pricing, it's one of the reasons I stopped going to concerts, that and the long drive I can't be fucked doing any more. And while I agree that some people in the country don't have financial literacy and will therefore pay $250 to see a band, there is also a lot of people who do earn enough money for it to be financially viable to spend that kind of cash on a concert. While both people exist concert crowds increase and therefore prices do as well.

2 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

I'm with you totally on pricing, it's one of the reasons I stopped going to concerts, that and the long drive I can't be fucked doing any more. And while I agree that some people in the country don't have financial literacy and will therefore pay $250 to see a band, there is also a lot of people who do earn enough money for it to be financially viable to spend that kind of cash on a concert. While both people exist concert crowds increase and therefore prices do as well.

That's what I mean - rock/metal at that upper echelon is becoming a thing for either the ultra rich or the fiscally irresponsible.

Local bands are still the way to go.  I'm off to King Parrot tonight - $30 entry plus beer at pub prices ($9 a pint instead of $12 for a stubby like the bigger events).

Just a shame most Aussie bands don't tour much.

24 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

I'm off to King Parrot tonight - $30 entry

The Parrot are the goods. It'll be a great show and that's a great price.

I too wish more Australian bands toured like them. I think it's partly that most metal bands are not full-time jobs and it's hard to tour when you have a day job.

4 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

The Parrot are the goods. It'll be a great show and that's a great price.

I too wish more Australian bands toured like them. I think it's partly that most metal bands are not full-time jobs and it's hard to tour when you have a day job.

I think you've nailed it on the head.  And travelling in Australia is expensive and far more expensive than Europe or even USA!

Third time seeing King Parrot.  Been great both times so hoping number 3 is good.  They've got 3 supports too:

- High as Hell - stoner metal

- Mountains of Madness - stoner metal

- Pulverised Cranial Matter - brutal death/goregrind - basically members of Intense Hammer Rage minus the drummer (drum job filled by Nosce Teipsum drummer)!

Yeah but it happens at all music festivals. not just rock and metal. When so many mid 20's people earn $1000 a week or more spending $500 on a weekend is nothing to them because they don't look to the future. At the other end of the scale there is many aging rockers who earn well over $1000 a week, they own or near own their home and $500 on a weekend is not a concern for them.

The pub/club gigs are more regulated in price, partly due to deals signed back in the 90's regarding ticket prices and Aussie bands, but mainly because pubs and clubs rely heavily on walk in traffic, even for advertised events. People walk the street looking for somewhere to spend a few hours drinking are less likely to pay a $50+ cover charge just because they heard some music playing. Keeping the cover charge lower and still giving the bands money was a key attribute of keeping the Australian music scene as lively as it is. Metal might still be under represented in some areas but when you can walk around places like Melb, or catch a tram, and have 20 venues playing live music either for free or a cover charge of less than $30 the music scene is much more lively than making bands play only designated venues and relying on ticket promoters and PR rats to sell gigs to the masses.

16 hours ago, Dead1 said:

I am originally from Croatia.  My brother lives in Zagreb though I don't think Nile would appeal to him much these days (Rammstein's probably the heaviest he goes).

Which part of Croatia if I may ask? I have relatives in Bjelovar and we visited ZAgreb often, it's really nice city.

I would recomend Groza to your brother, they are playing at Močvara tomorow, 3rd, and the price is 12€ :)

The prices in Slovenija almost doubled for everything, it's getting ridicoulus.

I enjoy the club gigs more but it seems all the big bands avoid Slovenija :D

On 12/3/2022 at 2:08 AM, BLAMO said:

Which part of Croatia if I may ask? I have relatives in Bjelovar and we visited ZAgreb often, it's really nice city.

I would recomend Groza to your brother, they are playing at Močvara tomorow, 3rd, and the price is 12€ :)

The prices in Slovenija almost doubled for everything, it's getting ridicoulus.

I enjoy the club gigs more but it seems all the big bands avoid Slovenija :D

I am originally from Zadar, though in Australia now!  I would love to move back to Europe but family commitments and difficulty of getting work that offers same pay and conditions.  

How close is Vienna to where you are?  Could be alternative place for gigs?

Uf the last time I was in Zadar was the Prodigy show few year ago :) Really nice city!

We attend most of the shows in Vienna or Graz but during the week it's a long drive if you need to work in the morning.

From Škofja Loka, where I live, to Vienna is 5 hour drive.

I assume pay is a lot higher in Australia than in Croatia?

12 hours ago, BLAMO said:

Uf the last time I was in Zadar was the Prodigy show few year ago :) Really nice city!

We attend most of the shows in Vienna or Graz but during the week it's a long drive if you need to work in the morning.

From Škofja Loka, where I live, to Vienna is 5 hour drive.

Those are long drives!  I struggle with those - eg I didn't go to Blood Incantation and Dead Congregation cause it's a 3 hour trip in the day to Hobart or 4-5 hours at night if you have fog.  Lots of semi permanent road works so speed often down to 40-60 kph.

I assume pay is a lot higher in Australia than in Croatia?

Cost of living is high in Australia too.  Eg median income is €40,528 per annum but median house price is €564,000.  Median rent is €332 per week or €17,264 per annum.  Everything else is expensive even stuff Australia has an abundance of (eg beef mince €8-€10 per kg depending if lean or fatty compared to €3-€5 in Zagreb or gas or whatever).

As such Australians have second highest level of private debt after Switzerland (170% of GDP).

I am lucky - my salary is €71,000 and my wife is on €42,000.

However our skills don't translate easily into Europe due to language and qualification issues.  We also have a small child and all my wife's extended family is here.  Oh and the dog!

Znam da govorim Hrvatski ali ne znam tehnički jezik sto se tice moje struke.

Škofja Loka

Also your town looks stunning!  I would love to visit!

cappuchin_bridge_30706076020.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2022 at 3:47 AM, Dead1 said:

Those are long drives!  I struggle with those - eg I didn't go to Blood Incantation and Dead Congregation cause it's a 3 hour trip in the day to Hobart or 4-5 hours at night if you have fog.  Lots of semi permanent road works so speed often down to 40-60 kph.

Cost of living is high in Australia too.  Eg median income is €40,528 per annum but median house price is €564,000.  Median rent is €332 per week or €17,264 per annum.  Everything else is expensive even stuff Australia has an abundance of (eg beef mince €8-€10 per kg depending if lean or fatty compared to €3-€5 in Zagreb or gas or whatever).

As such Australians have second highest level of private debt after Switzerland (170% of GDP).

I am lucky - my salary is €71,000 and my wife is on €42,000.

However our skills don't translate easily into Europe due to language and qualification issues.  We also have a small child and all my wife's extended family is here.  Oh and the dog!

Znam da govorim Hrvatski ali ne znam tehnički jezik sto se tice moje struke.

Also your town looks stunning!  I would love to visit!

I love concerts that happen on Friday or Saturday and I don't mind driving then because my brother has the same music taste as I do and we usually spend a whole weekend in the city where the show is happening. We attend shows that are 5 hours away from home during workdays but I realized I am getting too old for that kind of stuff :)

When we were younger we went to school next day and after school we were drinking whole day and went to an evening local show. But now the next day I am just tired. I feel like if I don't get my 5 hours of sleep it really shows the next day.

I understand Croatian and I can also speak it but I hate it when someone who speaks it perfectly makes fun of you if you make some grammar mistake so outside Slovenija I'm usually quiet :D

You watch football? The team from Croatia is really killer, although I am a Messi fan I wouldn't be mad if Croatia won :D

It's a nice place, it was voted as one of 10 most beautiful cities in Alps.

Has anyone seen the hellfest 2023 eddition?

39 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Metal Festivals have become ridiculous?

Hellfest 2023 announces 170 bands on the bill.

179. They listed the top 25 on the Hellfest home page and there were 0 bands I had any interest in seeing. 4-day passes start at $636 US ($1,027 AUD) without camping, $686 with. Which is still a lot less than the 70,000 tons cruise tickets which are $960 US ($1,437 AUD) 

I can handle about 30-35 bands at a fest max. I'd still pay more for 70K just for the luxury of sitting down, having a clean place to shit/shower, and a mostly quiet place to sleep. 30-35 works out to 7-10/day which is more than I can process enjoyably. And that's about the limit my feet can take too. Besides, there's not 179 bands I want to see, much less slog it out in the French countryside to watch.

15 hours ago, BLAMO said:

You watch football? The team from Croatia is really killer, although I am a Messi fan I wouldn't be mad if Croatia won :D

I have no interest in sport whatsoever!  

I really would love to got Slovenia (closest I got to was a train ride from Rijeka to Rome back in 1991).

13 minutes ago, navybsn said:

just for the luxury of sitting down, having a clean place to shit/shower, and a mostly quiet place to sleep. 

These are critical for me too.

What I've noticed is Wacken and Hellfest are getting more and more commercial.  Now I know a lot of bands on older Wacken Open Air line ups are big now but in the early 2000s it was mainly true metal stuff that had become very uncool during the nu-metal era.

Eg 2002

https://www.setlist.fm/festival/2002/wacken-open-air-2002-bd6bda6.html