madmick666

If someone is joining a forum they know to be an echo chamber fair enough, go your hardest, get banned and blame the moderation team for being dicks. Echo chambers exist for two reasons, one for the dickheads who like to feed them and two for the dickheads who like to think they're opposing opinion means something to the echo chamber. Only a fool would be put themselves in either party.

M-A certainly has tyrannical moderators, they also have moderators who's method of reply leaves a lot to be desired but as a part of signing up for the forum the rules are clearly stated, at least they used to be. If a person can't agree with them they shouldn't sign up. Most other forums are the same, but who reads rules and conditions of use anyway.

However none of that takes away from the fact that in joining a forum, this one for example, would a potential new member not read through some posts, lurk around for a little bit, see what's being discussed, how it's being discussed and then choose whether or not the forum is right for them. Or is it more sense to just jump in balls and all, tell people you're ready for a fight, that moderators are power hungry fools and then start analysing the members based on a few posts?

We can all make individual points against hundreds of forums and how fair they are on aren't but most of this thread is not about other forums, it's about how tightly wound "some" members are.

I'd argue you're missing a certain perspective here, and that's, with some exceptions, rarely do forums start out as echo chambers. Again, going back to MA for an example, most people there were already long time members many of whom remember when the board wasn't a near police state. What happens, and this is the point I was making earlier, is that as certain perspectives change, as certain people who are more aligned with those perspectives get into roles of moderation, the "out" group, so to speak, either leaves or gets driven off until only the pure remain. Then it just becomes a crabs in a bucket situation where they slowly start to pick off the members who remain....again, this is why that place is a shell of itself. No one is signing up who isn't either already aligned with the thinking or there to stir shit up.

As for this board, I'm not going to defend how things progressed, but the original comment wasn't "I'm here for a fight" it was more "I hope this place isn't full of ideologues and people can just agree to walk away and let it be". Not really the most controversial statement...especially given the climate of a lot of other message boards

10 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

who reads rules and conditions of use anyway.

in joining a forum, this one for example, would a potential new member not read through some posts, lurk around for a little bit, see what's being discussed, how it's being discussed and then choose whether or not the forum is right for them?

Apparently only us dumb old boomers and sad acts would do some silly outdated shit like that Kuke. You want busy people with actual lives to waste their precious time poking around to check out a few threads, and read a few posts to see what the general climate of a forum is before posting? What are you kidding me? That could take 15 or 20 minutes. Who's got time for that shit?!?

7 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

As for this board, I'm not going to defend how things progressed, but the original comment wasn't "I'm here for a fight" it was more "I hope this place isn't full of ideologues and people can just agree to walk away and let it be". Not really the most controversial statement.

You're absolutely right Surge. But on the other hand...can't you see how someone who's either part of the mod team or a regular on said forum might read that post as "I hope this place isn't full of asshole sanctimonious ideologues and cowardly weak minded fools." Not to belabor the point but regardless of what someone's past experiences on another forum might or might not have been, it is probably not a winning strategy to put yourself at odds with people who inhabit the forum you are wanting to join and become a part of right from go. People who would have had absolutely nothing against you and no expectations or preconceptions of you whatsoever are now left wondering what your malfunction is. A post like that puts a target on yourself. Now they'll be watching you. Why not just come in and say "Hi my name is so and so, I like this and that kind of music, and I hope to find some cool people here to talk metal with." That way everyone's at ease, no suspicions are raised. We all reply hi and welcome new guy and you're in the clear.  If down the road you should come to have a difference of opinion with someone then there will always be time to give the let's agree to disagree and just move the fuck on speech. 

34 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

But on the other hand...can't you see how someone who's either part of the mod team or a regular on said forum might read that post as "I hope this place isn't full of asshole sanctimonious ideologues and cowardly weak minded fools."

Like I said previously, it's not how I would have personally handled an introduction on a new forum, but I also didn't read it in the aggressively negative light like you all did, either. I basically just took it at face value...dudes trying to avoid forums where wrong think is seen as a problem. I've seen too many of them myself to at least not understand mindset. Even then, why would I care if someone came in and said "Boy, I sure hope this place isn't full of overly sensitive dickheads, I don't get along with them"? I'm not an overly sensitive dickhead (if I do say so myself 😁) so it sure as hell isn't directed at me.

Now if someone wants to start out like that, and it puts them on the mods radar, that's on them. Either they'll find a way to settle in, and it becomes a moot point, or they'll say something to get booted, and problem solved

13 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Arguing the semantics of words seems kind of pointless. As GG said, and as I have been saying as well, it's the attitude displayed.

Again...I didn't interpret the original post as some major offense. As far as I could tell, hackles didn't seem to go up until after Zack said he thought this was Nokturnal Boredom, at which point yeah...it definitely got weird

6 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Like I said previously, it's not how I would have personally handled an introduction on a new forum, but I also didn't read it in the aggressively negative light like you all did, either. I basically just took it at face value...dudes trying to avoid forums where wrong think is seen as a problem. I've seen too many of them myself to at least not understand mindset. Even then, why would I care if someone came in and said "Boy, I sure hope this place isn't full of overly sensitive dickheads, I don't get along with them"? I'm not an overly sensitive dickhead (if I do say so myself 😁) so it sure as hell isn't directed at me.

Now if someone wants to start out like that, and it puts them on the mods radar, that's on them. Either they'll find a way to settle in, and it becomes a moot point, or they'll say something to get booted, and problem solved

Again...I didn't interpret the original post as some major offense. As far as I could tell, hackles didn't seem to go up until after Zack said he thought this was Nokturnal Boredom, at which point yeah...it definitely got weird

Clearly Zack's comment was meant as a joke, but then I totally understand why the new dude couldn't be expected to know that.

Anyway I'm done talking about this now. I have death metal to listen to.

Wouldn't it be funny though if we devoted a couple of pages to this utter nonsense of dissecting this poor guy's introductory post and what each word means and then the dude never even comes back again as has been the M.O. for so many others on the intruduce yourself thread. You couldn't really blame him if he were to disappear into the Aussie wind though. We are all acting prettty foolish. All except for Surge of course, he's proven he's no overly sensitive dickhead. 

5 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Speak for yourself dude, I'm laid back!

At least you're going to listen to death metal and not that shitty black metal stuff you rabbit on with!

That's why I'm working on my big year by year death metal list now while the window is open. I've really been craving death metal in this heat and not having much appetite for black metal lately. This disturbance in the force won't last forever so I have to take advantage now while I can. Once the weather cools down some you know I'll be back on the black.

4 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Wouldn't it be funny though if we devoted a couple of pages to this utter nonsense of dissecting this poor guy's introductory post and what each word means and then the dude never even comes back again as has been the M.O. for so many others on the intruduce yourself thread

As I read through all this, those were exactly my thoughts. The dude seems to have disappeared already.

Wow, I certainly got people to have deep discussion here, and all from what I thought was a quite innocuous post lol.

Only thing I can say is that I do things my way. And as we've clearly seen, some people understand me immediately and others thought I had some kind of angle. So its not a case of whether I was 'right' or 'wrong', its merely subjective perspectives at play. If you think I might have an angle or agenda, then time will tell right?

Regarding 'KillaKukumbas' suggestion that the reason for me being kicked off forums is due to my attitude, have to completely and utterly shut that down. As 'SurgicalBrute' suggested, the online environment is not an easy going place anymore, you toe the line or you get kicked. Which means, you better go with the crowd and not question the popular thought of the day or you get cut.  

My view is, people who are not used to dealing with confrontation or aggression in their lives, can be sensitive to anything which even hints at such a thing. Evidence being that certain people interpreted my first post as being akin to a convict on his first day in prison, signaling to the other inmates that he isn't to be fucked with. I don't see it that way and it certainly wasn't my intention, but I cannot stifle my method of communication in the hopes of taking into account every persons individual personalities and life experiences who may not understand my ways.

So the best thing to do is, do what I do and if anyones feathers are ruffled, then I'm happy to make the effort to try and come to an understanding if they could be bothered to talk but if they want to skip to the judgement and insult phase, well then they can kindly fuck off.

Bottom line is this, 'SurgicalBrute' completely understood my perspective and has explained it concisely so if you have any other questions, then if I'm not available you could probably just ask him as he seems to know what I'm all about lol.

13 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

As I read through all this, those were exactly my thoughts. The dude seems to have disappeared already.

Sorry dude, still here.

5 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Apparently only us dumb old boomers and sad acts would do some silly outdated shit like that Kuke. You want busy people with actual lives to waste their precious time poking around to check out a few threads, and read a few posts to see what the general climate of a forum is before posting? What are you kidding me? That could take 15 or 20 minutes. Who's got time for that shit?!?

I have an answer for that (you should know me by now, I have an answer for everything lol). I disagree with your suggestion of laying in wait, seeing what the general climate is and then wading in. Because that suggests I would have to change myself to fit in and I have too much self-respect for that.
If that is how YOU do things, then go for it, I don't care how YOU do things. 
Funny thing about people is they think their way of living and doing things is the 'right' way. We all do, I do aswell, I'm not saying I'm any better than you etc. I'm just saying, try to take this into account before you judge others.
Nah, my view is, you present yourself as you are and whatever happens, happens ;)