madmick666

3 hours ago, madmick666 said:

Nah GG, I'm too old to be lurking around like a kid on the first day of school. Its not mystery to me at this stage, things only go one of two ways; everyone is on the same level and doesn't give a fuck about offending sensitive people OR I invariably upset someone and get a permaban.

I guess time will tell how it ends. Aren't you excited? ;)

Excited? Not even a little bit. I've seen dozens of people sign up and introduce themselves and make a post or two and then never post again. It's gotten to where I'll wait til someone's made at least 5 or 10 posts before I'll start paying much attention to them. But I do hope you stick around because we could always use more black metal discussion. 

Not sure where you're coming from that you're so self conscious about the possibility of offending people and agreeing to disagree and moving the fuck on because none of that shit ever enters my mind, and I reckon I'm probably more confrontational than most. Surely you can understand that most people don't lead with shit like that, so right off the bat you've set off some of our radar. But as far as I've seen in 15 months you have to be a pretty big dickhead to get the boot here. You're not a big giant dickhead are you? No, I didn't think so. So you'll have nothing to worry about.

If you want my advice (and it sounds like you probably don't but I'll give it to you anyway) I think you should let this thread lie for a minute and maybe jump in and make an innocuous post or two about metal or something somewhere on one of the zillion threads the board here and let's see what you've got to offer. Up at the top of the page there's an 'acivity' button which when clicked will diplay all the most recent posts in descending order that I found very helpful when I was learning to navigate this place.

12 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Not sure where you're coming from that you're so self conscious about the possibility of offending people and agreeing to disagree and moving the fuck on because none of that shit ever enters my mind, and I reckon I'm probably more confrontational than most.

But as far as I've seen in 15 months you have to be a pretty big dickhead to get the boot here. You're not a big giant dickhead are you? No, I didn't think so. So you'll have nothing to worry about.

I have a rich history of being kicked off all the main social media platforms for daring to question popular thought, so its not about being self-conscious, more about being acutely aware that there always seems to be some weak minded fool, drunk with the power of being a mod that brings down the hammer on me. You're not a weak minded fool are you? No, I didn't think so. So I'll have nothing to worry about, right? ;)

18 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Surely you can understand that most people don't lead with shit like that, so right off the bat you've set off some of our radar.

Huh? It was an intro post, what did you expect, a 'hey guys' like I'm Chachi or something? lol

46 minutes ago, madmick666 said:

I have a rich history of being kicked off all the main social media platforms for daring to question popular thought, so its not about being self-conscious, more about being acutely aware that there always seems to be some weak minded fool, drunk with the power of being a mod that brings down the hammer on me. You're not a weak minded fool are you? No, I didn't think so. So I'll have nothing to worry about, right? ;)

I'm not a mod and I hold no power whatsoever here to get drunk with. I certainly can't ban anyone, I'm just some guy with a big mouth. I'm on the same level as you or anyone else here so you're talking to the wrong guy. Now as it happens I'm personally unoffendable, and if it was up to me literally anything would fly. I'm an older guy who comes from an era when people could speak freely. I'm not scared of hearing anyone else's opinions whether I happen to agree with them or not. But I don't know if I can say the same for anyone else here, I can really only speak for myself. 

But I will say that if "daring to question popular thought" means posting a lot of stupid shit intended to provoke then yeah, I'd imagine that you'll likely run afoul of the mods here within a short time and have a problem. They do have standards here. So it probably depends on which specific popular thoughts you were planning to question. If you've honestly been kicked off "all the main social media platforms" (there's a red flag if I've ever seen one) I see no reason to think the same thing won't happen to you here as well.

But why go that route? Did you join a metal forum to find some cool people to talk metal with, or just to push the boundaries and see just how far you can question popular thought before you get some pushback? If the answer is the latter then they've made it pretty clear they don't want that here. They don't put these things to a vote, you'll get a warning or two and then it's their way or the highway.

I've heard/seen a lot of people over the years say they were kicked off a particular platform for questioning popular thought. However they rarely see that it's not the questioning, or the topic that gets them kicked off, it's the way they go about it.

3 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I can really only speak for myself.

That's because you speak in an old man's voice and everyone else here is below the age of ancient!!

21 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

I've heard/seen a lot of people over the years say they were kicked off a particular platform for questioning popular thought. However they rarely see that it's not the questioning, or the topic that gets them kicked off, it's the way they go about it.

That's because you speak in an old man's voice and everyone else here is below the age of ancient!!

You couldn't be more than a couple of years younger than me, could you? All that touring and shit you said you did back in the 80's, you'd have to be well into your 50's by now at least. Your kids are all grown, right? And don't forget Doc is 5 years older than me. And just the other day some new dude said he was 63. 

24 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Totally understand your point about the way someone approaches something, but lets just say that I don't insult people or resort to such nonsense when discussing anything. I could give you an example of the types of discussions I have had which led to permabans but then I'm fairly certain that would lead to a heated discussion on here and invariably a permaban, so would rather avoid that haha.
This is a metal forum so I don't expect any political or activist type discussions, unless someone decides to comment about a band I Iisten to that may or may not be accused of or have links to what is considered 'far right'.
As long as no one does that, then I can't see any of my interactions on here being a concern.
You seem pretty laid back, don't know about that GG guy though, he seems a bit tightly wound lol

8 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

You couldn't be more than a couple of years younger than me, could you? All that touring and shit you said you did back in the 80's, you'd have to be well into your 50's by now at least. Your kids are all grown, right? And don't forget Doc is 5 years older than me. And just the other day some new dude said he was 63. 

I'm not going to tell you I'm the same age as you because then I look silly (sillier) when I make all the old man jokes about you!

I'm not sure I can pick on old Doc yet though, it's like you said on page one, don't just jump in balls and all, feel the water first!

30 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Actually I've been kicked off a wargaming forum run by a NZ based wargame company called Battlefront because I questioned some of their design rules.  Did it in a civil enough way too and put down my reasoning.

But I wasn't the only one to get banned - a lot of people were banned because the company was doing lots of stupid things and didn't like seeing all the negativity on their forum.  Best to stick one's fingers in their ears.  Low and behold they went from being biggest WWII miniature game to getting lost in the mire.  No one even plays those rules locally because they turned to shit yet there used to be a very healthy payer base.

Oh and I did get banned from Metal Storm where I was an actual contributor when I clashed with one of the administrators.  Apparently misogynistic comments about how some women deserved to be raped or should shut up if raped were fine  but questioning government policy on immigration or discussing causes of terrorism was not.  They also tolerated certain pet posters harassing and bullying other people whilst slamming others for minor infringements.  I reported the bullying and the misogyny a few times but they did nothing and in the end had a fight with one of the admins who perma banned me including my IP.

5 minutes ago, madmick666 said:

You seem pretty laid back, don't know about that GG guy though, he seems a bit tightly wound lol

I am laid back, totally! I don't give a fuck about anything, especially on the internet. If I was any more laid back I'd fall off.

2 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Actually I've been kicked off a wargaming forum run by a NZ based wargame company called Battlefront because I questioned some of their design rules.  Did it in a civil enough way too and put down my reasoning.

But I wasn't the only one to get banned - a lot of people were banned because the company was doing lots of stupid things and didn't like seeing all the negativity on their forum.  Best to stick one's fingers in their ears.  Low and behold they went from being biggest WWII miniature game to getting lost in the mire.  No one even plays those rules locally because they turned to shit yet there used to be a very healthy payer base.

Oh and I did get banned from Metal Storm where I was an actual contributor when I clashed with one of the administrators.  Apparently misogynistic comments about how some women deserved to be raped or should shut up if raped were fine  but questioning government policy on immigration or discussing causes of terrorism was not.  They also tolerated certain pet posters harassing and bullying other people whilst slamming others for minor infringements.  I reported the bullying and the misogyny a few times but they did nothing and in the end had a fight with one of the admins who perma banned me including my IP.

We've all be kicked off forums and we were all right when it happened, but some of us can also look back and admit, even if it's just to ourselves, that the fault didn't entirely lie with the useless, brainless mod with too much power.

6 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

We've all be kicked off forums and we were all right when it happened, but some of us can also look back and admit, even if it's just to ourselves, that the fault didn't entirely lie with the useless, brainless mod with too much power.

Agreed, I did end up getting right up the admin's nose at Metal Storm. He was a shit admin  and I was pissed off and really rude.  I don't regret it one bit though.

1 hour ago, KillaKukumba said:

I'm not going to tell you I'm the same age as you because then I look silly as fuck when I make all the old man jokes about you!

Better watch out Kuke, I'm "tightly wound" don'tcha know. Hahaha. Actually I've never been kicked off of any forum or "platform" or anything so I must be a big pussy.

1 hour ago, KillaKukumba said:

I'm not sure I can pick on old Doc yet though, it's like you said on page one, don't just jump in balls and all, feel the water first!

I can be picked on, and usually I won't care.

I did tell Angry Metal Guy to fuck himself before I self-exiled myself from that forum.

17 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Better watch out Kuke, I'm "tightly wound" don'tcha know. Hahaha. Actually I've never been kicked off of any forum or "platform" or anything so I must be a big pussy.

A pussy and tightly wound. Makes me wonder how your survived past 20.

3 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I can be picked on, and usually I won't care.

I did tell Angry Metal Guy to fuck himself before I self-exiled myself from that forum.

Well you do have a sense of humour because you go for NSW in the SOO!!

Can't say I've ever been banned from comment section (though Im pretty sure I've been permanently shadow banned from Metalsucks...lol), but I will say, I think some of the people here who are kind of questioning the OP, maybe aren't aware of just how much message boards have changed over the years. Places like this are kind of a rarity. This is a dying form of social media, and as a result a lot of them are becoming insular echo chambers where being in lockstep with the over-arcing opinions is the only thing that matters. Even small questions against the determined narrative will get hostile responses coming at you at 100 mph, and if you get on the radar of a mod, you may as well start looking for a new board sooner rather than later. It's one of the biggest reasons the Metal Archives board has become such a wasteland. They either banned or ran off pretty much everyone else.

You're right forums are becoming a dying form in favour of shitty Facebook comment sections and the like where people get instant gratification for their comments. But I think you'll find the questioning of the OP has more to do with the way he's gone about things not the platform itself. It's been pointed out in multiple posts that his attitude is unwarranted, possible even the reason he's come across brick walls on other forums, yet he still shit talks his way into things like it's everyone elses fault. As GG said maybe the guy needs to take a breath, step back, and start again in a few other threads and show that he can talk metal (or whatever other shit is being spoken) rather than being defensive, blaming others and labelling people he couldn't possibly know.

But then what do I know I'm laid back, it's GG that's wound tighter than a drum and could go off at any time!

I wasn't so much trying to say it was the platform itself, but rather the way a large number of these platforms have evolved into one-sided, "with us or against us" style thinking regarding certain topics....something that's come about because of the shrinking user base. As I said, in my experience a forum like this, that basically just requires users to maintain a minimum level of civility but otherwise doesn't try to police things too hard, is a much rarer thing now. I see a lot of heavy handed "wrong thought, wrong board" type moderation happening these days under the guise of supposedly making everyone feel welcome*. So while I can't say I would have approached an introduction the way OP did, I kind of get where they were coming from.

..but maybe you guys have seen different on the messages boards you've visited

*I'm not talking about outright attacks, so much as people just having different outlooks about situations

Some Days I Flip My Lid: Learning to Be a Calm, Cool Kid: Bailey, Kellie,  Hannah Bailey: 9781683732518: Amazon.com: Books

Seriously though, I'm sure Mickey's a lovely bloke. He just came in with a chip on his shoulder which raised a few eyebrows because we don't know where he's from or who he is or what his agenda might be. The phrase "question popular thought" could be taken many ways so I guess we just got off on the wrong foot. It's a damn cool little metal forum we've got here and we'd all just like to keep it that way and avoid any unneccessary bullshit. But I don't think anyone's gunning for him or anything, seems like we're all giving him the benefit of the doubt unless he gives us a reason not to. Several of us have assured him that no one's gonna jump down his throat for posting the 'wrong' band, unless he types out some kooky Nazi manifesto to go along with it or something. He'll be fine here. It's always good to see new people signing up and he's just what we need, another Aussie from down under. He'll fit right in.

2 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

But I don't thik anyone's gunning for him or anything, seems like we're all giving him the benefit of the doubt unless he gives us a reason not to.

Never thought otherwise...but I know the board tends to skew a bit older in our age demographic, and I wasn't sure how many people on here were on other boards as well. Given my other hobbies, I tend to visit more than a few even if I don't post on them, so I thought I'd just throw out my perspective on things

I see that occasionally, in fact several forums I use have a zero tolerance for swearing and arguing, claiming that they are "family friendly". There is also forums with virtually no rules, where an OP like this one would have been smashed hard for such an attitude. The one thing both types of forums have in common is that people get upset and leave, or get kicked, blaming everyone else for what happened, never themselves. These days I rarely see someone kicked off a forum for simply thinking differently it's usually because of the way they handle themselves in pointing out that difference.

Sure you'll always get the fool who, for instance, joins a forum dedicated to one brand of car and bounds in bragging about another brand and how shit the forum's subject it. Those sort of people are just looking to start shit because they get some perverse pleasure out of it. But joining a general topic forum and having different views I rarely see punished. Usually punishment happens because the person with different views tries to insert themselves with silly comments about power hungry moderators and people who can't handle opposing thought, rather than having a discussion.

3 minutes ago, Karambit said:

Sliced is the way to go man!

Ouch!

9 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

These days I rarely see someone kicked off a forum for simply thinking differently it's usually because of the way they handle themselves in pointing out that difference.

If you ever have a day to kill, get yourself a bottle of something strong, and search up RPG.net. Supposedly one of the largest table top rpg forums on the net, I've seen bans on there for some of the most absolutely milquetoast reasons you can imagine. It's probably the one place on the internet that truly and legitimately pisses me off

I agree with Surge. 

It's become a very violent world on social media. Very often mods tolerate bullying and harassment if it fits their narrative.

There's a lot of bullying.  I as well as another poster on a supposedly respectable defence blog  recently got a tirade of "fuck off Nazi" or "fuck off Russian troll" from multiple posters for merely stating that the US has not faced an advanced enemy air defence system in decades (which is true).  The mods accepted this as reasonable behaviour.

And I am seeing this more and more everywhere.  Difference of view is not accepted anymore.  

Like Surge said, the aim is to be echo chambers where only comments are in line with the editorial slant of that social media.  And sadly usually these comments are just shit memes or people trying to be funny.  Serious discussion against the grain is frowned upon and mods allow their sycophants to bully the shit out of anyone they don't approve of.

So social media now seems to come in two flavours:

1. Totally sanitised where discussion of anything "topical" is banned.  And by topical I mean whatever is viewed as topical in that particular topic as well as broader topical issues.

or

2. Total free for all's where bullying, harassment and banning of people who have different view points is the norm. 

There is precious little in between.

Morrigan from M-A is a total tyrant by the way.  She really would ban people for putting up comments she didn't agree with regardless of topic.