how big is your CD collection??

eternalcrypt

At the moment I have a rather unimpressive (in comparison to others) collection of 25 CDs, all metal. If you wanna call Radiohead metal. Moving on, how many CDs do u own and what are your thoughts on the matter? CDs or Spotify/Youtube? I personally prefer CDs for the authenticity, plus its just awesome knowing that your actually adding to the bands record sales, as many will know that Spotify and Youtube don't exactly pay the artists which pisses me off. But that doesn't mean I wont ever use free online listening, because, well, its free, and online. 

I use every available means to listen to music. I know some of the streaming platforms can cause controversy, but I don't listen to Led Zepplin or Neil Young or CCR etc. enough to purchase their music. So streaming is fine for that stuff (things I don't intend to own but still listen to once in a while). Also convenient for stuff you own but don't have handy (not ripped/not accessible). Otherwise, the CD collection is reasonable. Don't have a firm number as I haven't counted recently. Somewhere around 400. I donated a couple of boxes a few years ago of stuff I didn't want to hang on too in order to thin the herd some. I have a buddy who runs a small local distro and sells used CDs/tapes at merch tables for local shows. He uses it to supplement his income and I didn't need a bunch of stuff taking up space I didn't care about.

That said, I buy CDs over vinyl these days predominantly. Vinyl is just too expensive and I don't have time to listen to the 500+ I already have. 95% of my listening is digital via my home server and phone. That probably won't always be the case, but for now I have enough vinyl. I buy the CD when either 1) it's something I really want a physical copy of, or 2) the price is close enough to the digital download that it makes sense. My only issue with buying CDs is having the time to sit down and rip them to the server.

Not sure if these questions haven't been posed in other threads, I know the Spotify v CD's one has.

I've lost count of my CD's, the drawers I made was designed to hold about 1000 and they are over 80% full by the look of them. Not all of them are metal, and most of them are just dust collectors these days because I generally don't listen to music in the lounge where the CD player and stereo is. I don't buy vinyl any more because of the outrageous prices here in Oz and because I don't visit too many second hand stores, but everything I have on CD, cassette, and vinyl are all ripped and digital music is generally just easier for me to listen too, because everything these days from the computer to the car, to the phone, even the tractor has either USB or SD and I can put a heap of albums on a single card and listen to it for weeks.

Excluding magazine comp CDs I have 426 CDs and 47 vinyl, of which about 95% is metal and rest is hard rock, hardcore or punk other than Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds.

I have probably sold or given away qt least  another couple of hundred CDs as well as a small number of vinyl over the years, many of which I regret getting rid of (note: don't sell your extreme metal collection when your future wife says she doesn't like wall of noise- just listen to it when she is not around).

I love physical media and wish I had more money for more music.  Alas that is not my lot in life - since start of November I have brought one measley CD for $10 due to extreme financial distress.  

3 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Excluding magazine comp CDs I have 426 CDs and 47 vinyl, of which about 95% is metal and rest is hard rock, hardcore or punk other than Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds.

I have probably sold or given away qt least  another couple of hundred CDs as well as a small number of vinyl over the years, many of which I regret getting rid of (note: don't sell your extreme metal collection when your future wife says she doesn't like wall of noise- just listen to it when she is not around).

I love physical media and wish I had more money for more music.  Alas that is not my lot in life - since start of November I have brought one measley CD for $10 due to extreme financial distress.  

i know how you feel....as a teenager i dont have a job and ive spent roughly all my birthday money, im just glad i have internet access and some decent speakers tho, even if they do tell me to turn it down....ill never give away or sell my collection, i know that for sure

5 hours ago, eternalcrypt said:

i know how you feel....as a teenager i dont have a job and ive spent roughly all my birthday money, im just glad i have internet access and some decent speakers tho, even if they do tell me to turn it down....ill never give away or sell my collection, i know that for sure

And then you get married and have kids and you still don't have any cash for music!  :D

45 minutes ago, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

I have about 300 CD’s, 38 of which are Motörhead CD’s 😂😂

Sadly my Motörhead collection is a measly 10 - mainly the period 1979-91, with only 1 of their more modern albums (Inferno).

I have 30 Iron Maiden CDs/vinyls.  If I really had it my way I would have far more - there's still all the reissued singles on vinyl I need to get and a couple of boxsets.

21 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

And then you get married and have kids and you still don't have any cash for music!  :D

Sadly my Motörhead collection is a measly 10 - mainly the period 1979-91, with only 1 of their more modern albums (Inferno).

I have 30 Iron Maiden CDs/vinyls.  If I really had it my way I would have far more - there's still all the reissued singles on vinyl I need to get and a couple of boxsets.

We all start somewhere dude! :P I have all their 23 studio albums and 14 Live albums and their one cover album.

They are my biggest collection with Judas Priest coming in 2nd with 16 Studio albums and 4 live (I still need Rocka Rolla and British Steel lol)

Saxon coming in 3rd with 18 Studio albums and 1 live album Killing Ground is on the way in the post :D got Dogs of War today, Just need their "Def Leppard" albums now(Innocence is No Excuse, Destiny) 🤐 Never been big on late 80's Saxon, also need Power and the Glory and Forever Free

Then we have Iron Maiden in 4th with 14 Studio albums and 1 live album, and also a live bootleg with Blaze Bayley called "Tel Aviv" (Last albums I need from them are No Prayer For The Dying, Iron Maiden and Killers).

I've got all the Motorhead albums, mostly on CD but some on vinyl. I've also got 3 of the 5 Headcat CD's, the Hawkwind albums Lemmy appeared on and the Robert Calvert CD Captain Lockheed And The Starfighters which Lemmy appeared on.

I don't own all the JP albums, but I do own all the Maiden albums and a number of box sets. I'm pretty sure Motorhead is the largest collection I have by one band

9 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

I've got all the Motorhead albums, mostly on CD but some on vinyl. I've also got 3 of the 5 Headcat CD's, the Hawkwind albums Lemmy appeared on and the Robert Calvert CD Captain Lockheed And The Starfighters which Lemmy appeared on.

I don't own all the JP albums, but I do own all the Maiden albums and a number of box sets. I'm pretty sure Motorhead is the largest collection I have by one band

Woww! I don't have any Headcat stuff, i'll have to change that, no Hawkwind either, or Robert Calvert CD Captain Lockheed And The Starfighters (What a mouthful) Motorhead are and have been for 15 Years my fave band of all time so I had to get all their albums, I'd love to get al their Live albums but some are so rare and expensive :(

Do you have many Saxon albums? They have become one of my top 5 bands since i've seen them live and finally decided to dive in to their full discogrgaphy, also I picked up Thin Lizzy's full discography, thoughts on Thin Lizzy?

What the hell is Headcat?!?!?!  

My problem is other than Iron Maiden, I tend to get rid of albums I don't like.  Eg I've sold more In Flames and Arch Enemy albums than I currently own.  Got rid of a quarter of my Dark Tranquility collection etc etc.  Oh and got rid of most modern Metallica, Cradle of Filth and Blind Guardian whilst keeping older albums.

My top 6:

Iron Maiden - 30 (all studio albums, tons of other stuff)

Megadeth  - 16 (all studio albums other than Risk which I got rid of, 1 live album, 1 comp - Hidden Treasures)

Slayer - 11 - missing or got rid of some their albums I don't like (World Painted Blood, GHUA, RepentlesS)

Iced Earth - 11 - much like Slayer, missing or got rid of stuff I didn't like 

Anthrax - 10 - again got rid of stuff I didn't like ala We've Come For You All

Motörhead - also 10.  Only got into these guys much later in life.  Growth area!  :D

Plenty of other bands at up to 8-9: Carcass, Edge of Sanity, Bathory, Black Sabbath, Kreator, Testament etc

According to wiki The Head Cat is an American rockabilly supergroup formed by vocalist/bassist Lemmy (of Motörhead), drummer Slim Jim Phantom (of The Stray Cats) and guitarist Danny B. Harvey (of Lonesome Spurs and The Rockats).

Sadly I don't get rid of albums I don't like. I rip then, put them on a hard drive and just store the physical copy. I'd have a lot less clutter if I just learnt to give shit away :)

35 minutes ago, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

Woww! I don't have any Headcat stuff, i'll have to change that, no Hawkwind either, or Robert Calvert CD Captain Lockheed And The Starfighters (What a mouthful) Motorhead are and have been for 15 Years my fave band of all time so I had to get all their albums, I'd love to get al their Live albums but some are so rare and expensive :(

Do you have many Saxon albums? They have become one of my top 5 bands since i've seen them live and finally decided to dive in to their full discogrgaphy, also I picked up Thin Lizzy's full discography, thoughts on Thin Lizzy?

The Robert Calvert CD is pretty funny, it reminds me a lot of those old 50's (and earlier) radio shows like the Goon Show and stuff like that. The whole CD tells a story, I bought it because of Lemmy, but I love it because of the silliness.

Saxon aren't a band I got into, probably because they weren't prominent here in record stores and back in the 80's and 90's when my collection really started to grow ordering from overseas was just not worth it.

I don't mind Thin Lizzy, but again don't have much of their stuff.

10 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

What the hell is Headcat?!?!?!  

My problem is other than Iron Maiden, I tend to get rid of albums I don't like.  Eg I've sold more In Flames and Arch Enemy albums than I currently own.  Got rid of a quarter of my Dark Tranquility collection etc etc.  Ph and got rid of most modern Metallica.

My top 6:

Iron Maiden - 30 (all studio albums, tons of other stuff)

Megadeth  - 16 (all studio albums other than risk, 1 live album, 1 comp - Hidden Treasures)

Slayer - 11 - missing or got rid of some their albums I don't like (World Painted Blood, GHUA, RepentlesS)

Iced Earth - 11 - much like Slayer, missing or got rid of stuff I didn't like 

Anthrax - 10 - again got rid of stuff I didn't like ala We've Come For You All

Motörhead - also 10.  Only got into these guys much later in life.  Growth area!  :D

All I really know about Headcat is they are a Rockabilly supergroup and Lemmy is in the band as the singer and its ace.

Interesting collection mate! I only have 2 Megadeth (Rust In Peace and Dystopia) 1 Slayer(Reign In Blood) and 1 Anthrax (Stomp 442 and I know thats a sin hahaha)

have to ask though, are the Glorious Burden and Framing Armageddon among your Iced Earth CD's? Ripper Owens is one of my fave vocalists of all time and the Glorious Burden is easily my fave IE album, (especially the Gettysburg Trilogy) also the IE albums I own are The Dark Saga (Which is kinda awesome to me since I love Spawn who is on the cover) Crucible of Man, and those 2 ripper albums

That's a hard question for me to answer. The vast majority of collection are CDs with a smattering of Bandcamp purchases. I have most everything ripped and I use Sonos as a server. It doesn't give an album count, but dumping most of my metal genres onto one of my speaker/rooms queues, I come up with 7,481 songs. So, divided by 12 as an average , I come up with 623 albums. I'll throw in another 20-50 albums or so unaccounted for.

The Bandcamp purchases don't get tagged with a genre. I've got 188 BC purchases.  

I've got 6087 rock songs some of which are misclassified as metal so that's a little over 500. 

If I look at things more conservatively and divide that entire track count 15, I get 917 albums which doesn't account for genre classifications such as punk, hardcore, indie, alternative,  electronic, etc. and I'm not even bothering with classical and jazz. 

42 minutes ago, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

have to ask though, are the Glorious Burden and Framing Armageddon among your Iced Earth CD's? Ripper Owens is one of my fave vocalists of all time and the Glorious Burden is easily my fave IE album, (especially the Gettysburg Trilogy) also the IE albums I own are The Dark Saga (Which is kinda awesome to me since I love Spawn who is on the cover) Crucible of Man, and those 2 ripper albums

I do have The Glorious Burden, Framing Armageddon and The Crucible of Man.  Glorious Burden is good and Gettysburg trilogy awesome.  Framing Armageddon and The Crucible of Man have odd great songs but aren't as good overall.  I also have Dystopia.

My favourites would  be Night Of The Stormrider, Dark Saga and Something Wicked This Way Comes.  Alive in Athens is absolutely phenomenal.

34 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

I do have The Glorious Burden, Framing Armageddon and The Crucible of Man.  Glorious Burden is good and Gettysburg trilogy awesome.  Framing Armageddon and The Crucible of Man have odd great songs but aren't as good overall.  I also have Dystopia.

My favourites would  be Night Of The Stormrider, Dark Saga and Something Wicked This Way Comes.  Alive in Athens is absolutely phenomenal.

Good stuff, I need to give those other albums a listen. As well as re listen to Dark Saga

I mostly buy via bandcamp these days if possible, I mean they still let you d/l flac instead of mp3s and I am a nerd enough to care.   All my 3,000+ CD (probably more in the mid 4ks) got ripped (as flac) to LAN and that plugs into my DAC that can be controlled by various UI device such as a tablet.  That said, since I tend to also listen to a shitton of new stuff, that I typically first go to Spotify or elsewhere thereafter.   But if I see myself spinning something again and again it is a buy.

For LP, which I do have a collection, I am pretty strict.  It has to be top of my list of albums I love as it takes up way too much space and costs way too much, but I've already spent a shitton on my vinyl setup in my questionable audiophile days.  For vinyl, I think thinned it to ~300-400, but probably will only keep ~100, and these days mostly metal.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2022 at 1:17 AM, JorKid said:

I mostly buy via bandcamp these days if possible, I mean they still let you d/l flac instead of mp3s and I am a nerd enough to care.   All my 3,000+ CD (probably more in the mid 4ks) got ripped (as flac) to LAN and that plugs into my DAC that can be controlled by various UI device such as a tablet.  That said, since I tend to also listen to a shitton of new stuff, that I typically first go to Spotify or elsewhere thereafter.   But if I see myself spinning something again and again it is a buy.

For LP, which I do have a collection, I am pretty strict.  It has to be top of my list of albums I love as it takes up way too much space and costs way too much, but I've already spent a shitton on my vinyl setup in my questionable audiophile days.  For vinyl, I think thinned it to ~300-400, but probably will only keep ~100, and these days mostly metal.  

Hello jorkid. Does it make much difference download on flac. I  get music from bandcamp, Amazon music for more mainstream bigger label albums. I have only about 400 at the moment. Every so often I trade in all the stuff I don't like. If I hadn't done that my collection would be probably double this size. No vinyl at the moment. I used to buy second hand stuff from a good local shop. Very economical it was as didn't have much money at the time. As I listen mostly on headphones these days probably no point in listening to records just yet.  I prefer the sound I get from headphones too 🎧