Maryland DeathFest XVIII 2022

JorKid

So whose going?

I'm pretty fucking stoked to be going!  I haven't been to MDF before, in fact I've never been to Baltimore before except to drive through it.   With all the COVID bullshit these past years, I am seriously itching for some live music and no better way that a fest with a killer lineup!  I'll be traveling alone because my friends are into this heavy of metal shows, but who cares.

What band are you itching to see the most?  For me it is quite a list as there are plenty I have never seen before.    Bloodbath, Carcass, Necrophobic, Sacrementum, Enforced, etc, etc.

http://www.deathfests.com/event/mdf-xviii

Man, I wish. I've never had the chance to go to MDF. I'd be excited about at least a dozen of those bands - Demilich, Necrophobic, Nocturnus AD, Sacramentum, General Surgery, Blood Incantation, Atheist, Immolation, Suffocation, Coroner, Ruins Of Beverast, Triptykon, Deicide playing my favorite album of theirs in full, a Hellhammer show of sorts, Obituary, Bloodbath... heck, that's 16. Ah well. Hope you have an awesome time.

This makes MDF number 11 for me, if I'm counting right...and yeah, think last time I looked  there was like 20+ bands I'm hoping to catch

(For the record, as fun as it is, ...it's a goddamn slog as well, and you won't catch every band you want to see. It's usually around day 3 that the concessions start as you begin to value sitting down more than watching certain bands)

Mortiferum

Skeletal Remains

Funerus (know they've played a time or two before, but we've still never seen them)

Carcass

Graveyard

Massacre

Monstrosity

Obituary

Akhlys

Panzerfaust

The Ruins of Beverast

Spite

Cancer

Cerebral Rot

Coroner

Dismember

Triptykon

Vircolac

Avslut

Necrophobic

Nifelheim

Throaat (weird he's at Soundstage)

Sacrilegia

Nocternus A.D. (who hopefully won't suck this time)

Blood Incantation

Profanatica

Sacramentum

Antichrist Siege Machine

Imprecation

...guess it's closer to 30 bands 😁

30 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

(For the record, as fun as it is, ...it's a goddamn slog as well, and you won't catch every band you want to see. It's usually around day 3 that the concessions start as you begin to value sitting down more than watching certain bands)

This man MDF's. It usually takes me half a bottle of ibuprofen to get through the weekend and even then I generally don't want to stand up for a week after. Bring 2 pairs of shoes so you can alternate. Most of us aren't used to standing for 4 days straight 12 hours a day. It takes me longer to recover from MDF than it ever did from any of the marathons I ran. Doing the 5 day this year with the preshow, so I expect to be fully crippled for most of June.

It's actually a lot of fun. You had better be prepared though if you're going to try and catch everything you want to see. I will not try. I tried the first time I went several years ago. I had a good time, but my feet, legs, and lower back took a major beating. As Surge mentioned, you learn to compromise early. Whether that's conflicting set times or conserving your body to make it all the way through. Especially with the venues being rather a good distance away from each other this year, it's all about the planning. Definitely not unique to MDF though. Any 3+ day fest with 12 hour days is going to get tough as it goes along. Pacing and planning.

I wish I was half as enthused about this year's lineup as Surge is. But I'm not. With Archgoat dropping out I don't really even care about MDF anymore tbh. Except for Imprecation and Coroner maybe ASM. But I have already paid the $250 for my ticket and it's only about a 3.5 hour drive for me so I'll go and when I see the boys after nearly 3 years that'll charge me up. I'm not too worried about standing up for 4 days straight, or 3 days straight as it usually ends up being or 2 days straight as I'm thinking it will probably be for me this year. Yeah my feet and legs do get tired toward the end of the night, but then I go lie down at 3am and sleep till noon then grab a couple of bloody marys and I'm good to go again for the next day. These young guys just have no staying power.

2 hours ago, navybsn said:

COVID is over dude. Doesn't she know. I saw it on TikTok so it's true 😆

Man, I so wish, as I'm typing this from work still wearing a freaking mask. The county where I work everyone wears masks in stores. They just dropped the mask mandate in the county but the school system hasn't made the move yet, but it may be eminent. While up closer to B'more and Frederick some 30 miles N where I live, majority go mask free.

On 2/24/2022 at 7:00 AM, Megatokyo said:

I would've gone if Archgoat was still there. No longer.

I can't say I am a huge fan but I was disappointed.  I can't say Profanatica is a good substitute.  Anyway though, there is plenty here for me at least.   

This is already a pretty niche music festival eschewing all the nu-metal, pop metal and butt rock names that bring in crowds.  If they pandered only to goat metalists then it probably wouldn't survive as a festival.  Got to have some meat and potato death metal or stalwart old brigade names to bring in some semblance of a crowd.    I am not a goat metalist, although I like a bit and look forward to seeing some of those names live, so I am happy with a pretty solid lineup as I see it.   

As with any festival, I wish there were names on the bill that aren't.   I see this kind of festival as a chance to see a bunch of names that typically only tour Europe.  The cancelled 2020 Pyscho Las Vegas, which I had tickets, airfair and hotel room for, was one such festival.  

I think there's a few thing that need to be kept in mind as far as black metal goes at the festival, particularly when it comes to the rougher, uglier side of things

1) How many of those bands actually tour/play live/are something other than one-man studio bands?

2) It's still a festival, underground or not. That means they're going to pull as many "name" bands as they can, which means even when they do bring in some black metal bands, chances are they're going to be the more well-known established bands anyway. There's only so many of those that still get the grim and kvlt stamp of approval.

3) This is just a personal observation, but I'm pretty sure they've made a conscious effort over the last few years to move things back towards being a more death metal-centric festival...at least to some degree at fan request.

4) No Archgoat is bad, but it also means that shit-tier band Valkyrja, who they always seem to tour with for some reason, won't be there either, which is good

5) The way our current cultural climate sits, I've got to wonder how much does MDF actually want to chance things blowing up into their face if they asked the wrong band to play. I've also got to wonder how many black metal bands may think it's just too much trouble to come over to the U.S. right now and play?

1 hour ago, SurgicalBrute said:

5) The way our current cultural climate sits, I've got to wonder how much does MDF actually want to chance things blowing up into their face if they asked the wrong band to play. I've also got to wonder how many black metal bands may think it's just too much trouble to come over to the U.S. right now and play?

This reminds me of a story from a couple years back about some dude getting thrown out of MDF for having NSBM patches on his vest...

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/goatmoon-patch-gets-guy-kicked-out-of-maryland-deathfest-show-he-says/

2 hours ago, zackflag said:

This reminds me of a story from a couple years back about some dude getting thrown out of MDF for having NSBM patches on his vest...

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/goatmoon-patch-gets-guy-kicked-out-of-maryland-deathfest-show-he-says/

Yeah, was there. It was at Soundstage. A bit of overreach by the hired security if you ask me, but they were probably just trained to look for certain things. Funny thing is that guy had probably been in and out of there half a dozen times before they spotted the patch. Goatmoon is pretty questionable, but I think more than a few people who listen to them have no idea they're nazi-sympathizing fascist assholes.

Never had any issues at MDF. People are always super chill. Definitely one of the better run festivals I've been to.

That was actually at the Ottobar during the pre-fest, which is technically it's own thing with it's own security staff. More of an "endorsed by" than "A part of" type situation, which is why the ticket is always separate. MDF got way more careful about who they hire for security after all the shit that went down during, I want to say it 2011, but it might have been 2013...it's been awhile. It was definitely while they were still using the Sonar though. Security brawling with the attendees...bunch of people getting maced...it was nasty

• 2 months later...

It is getting so close I can already smell sweaty balls.   I am stoked for this get away.  I need it in a bad way given life's recent events (apartment fire and it wasn't even Varg's doing).  

Whitey, if you are still coming drop me a pm, I'll send you my deets.  

Too bad on some of the the last minute cancellations, but that always happens and I am a newb and going for the experience as much an any particular band however I do have some must sees like Demilich.

1 hour ago, JorKid said:

It is getting so close I can already smell sweaty balls.   I am stoked for this get away.  I need it in a bad way given life's recent events (apartment fire and it wasn't even Varg's doing).  

Whitey, if you are still coming drop me a pm, I'll send you my deets.  

Too bad on some of the the last minute cancellations, but that always happens and I am a n00b and going for the experience as much an any particular band, however I do have some must sees like Demilich.

I was perusing the running order the other night and it seems that even with the overall low number of must see bands this year, I still have some conflicts. Like 2 of the bands I most wanted to see this year, Cadaveric Incubator and Coroner both playing at the same exact time at two different venues. Cadaveric wins that battle of course because Coroner are old men and CI had my #1 death metal album last year. But damn I really wanted to see Coroner too. I'll have to really go over this schedule closely and figure out my game plan for each day and decide which bands I'm going to prioritize. Don't give a shit about Demilich so that's one band I won't have to worry about, but like you Josh all my buddies are stoked as fuck for Demilich. I'll probably walk back to the hotel and take a shit or grab a bite or something during their set.

So yeah I'm still coming Josh, but I'm not coming Thursday, I'll be coming down Friday. So save that extra bed for me!! I'll bring you cash for my end. Assuming American money will be alright? It'd be good to have some US cash on you just in case you want to buy some merch or beers or goat tacos or whatever. Maybe you could tell them at the front desk that your dad is coming so I can get a key and put my shit in the room and you won't have to worry about waiting around for me in case I hit traffic on my way down and some band you want to see is going onstage in 10 minutes. Wouldn't want you to miss out on the experience. Apparently MDF is going on hiatus after this year so it might be your only chance.