Is it rare for girls to be thrash metal fans?

Miss_Teala

10 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I must've missed this post back in February. I am confused. You say there is no underground anymore, but then you say stuff outside of the sub-mainstream is difficult to find. So if it's hard to find unless you have a pretty good idea what you're looking for, then wouldn't that make it the underground?

Which begs the question, what does 'underground' actually mean to you? To me it's the stuff outside of the 'sub-mainstream' as you call it. Or let's say two stratum below, because I think there is some stuff that lives in between the sub-mainstream and the really obscure kvlt stuff which even most metalheads don't bother with. I think sub-mainstream is a good phrase because when I say mainstream what I usually really mean is the sub-mainstream. And that's because I'm already assuming that as rabid metalheads we are completely disregarding the true mainstream to begin with because there's nothing there of any value for most of us.

Very valid points.

I too really like the concept of the submainstream.

I agree with your definitions too.

I don't think anything is hard to find anymore, I think the issue is more of how to get a band's name known in the sub mainstream.   I mean if I look at say this Youtube channel (New Wave of Old School Thrash Metal) there is so much stuff there. 

https://www.youtube.com/c/NewWaveOfOldSchoolThrashMetal

and same thing but by country

https://www.youtube.com/c/NewWaveOfOldSchoolThrashMetal/playlists

So how does a band step into that realm of submainstream and how do fans discover what is decent without trawling through hundreds of very similar sounding albums on an almost industrial scale?

I mean who seriously wants to trawl through 111 Brazilian thrash albums or even 48 Spanish ones?  You could apply this to any genre - black, death, power, grind etc.

Back in the pre-internet days, most of these bands never would have released anything save a demo on a cassette!  

So now the submainstream is aware of the underground but it's a lot of work to figure out what's worth listening to.  And on the other hand it's harder for an underground band to get noticed by the submainstream.

---

I've been trying to find good hardcore and metallic hardcore acts.  It's really hard finding stuff outside of things like Black Flag or Agnostic Front?  There's so much and it all mainly sounds the same!

I know of no other way to find the good stuff. Granted it's a huge time sink. Totally understand and sympathize that most working people with families really don't have time to sift through even a small fraction of what's out there to be found today, especially if they like to get a little sleep sometimes. I imagine it'd be easy to throw your hands up in despair and just quit looking because it's not worth the time you're spending.

I just happen to be a fairly insane person who for many years has chosen to forgo sleep most nights in favor of sifting through metal albums to find the good shit. I've gone to work many days on 2 or 3 hours sleep or even less. Tired all day, dragging ass, feeling like shit but then come midnight I get my second wind and I'm wide awake hunting for metal albums again. Wouldn't recommend this lifestyle for anyone else.

The other way to find music is to join a forum and let some other people do some of the legwork for you. No shame in that if you just don't have the time or the patience. Personally I just can't leave something this important to others because I have to assume their taste won't be as blindingly spectacular as my own so I know they'll likely miss a lot of stuff I would have really wanted. So I feel like I have no choice but to do it myself. But even I have people whose taste I've learned to trust like Marko for example, so I've gotten a lot of stuff from him especially in the hardcore - crust - punk area.

It's true that when you listen to a bunch of hardcore and metallic crust type stuff it can start to sound very similar. Most of it shares that infamous 'D-beat.' But the more of it you listen to over time, the more the differences will make themselves apparent. Btw I use the term "crust" to mean stuff that to me sounds like a marriage of hardcore and death metal. Is that what you're looking for? Or am I missing something?

Black Flag and AF are harcore bands from 40 years ago. AF is still active today, even though Vinnie Stigma is 66 years old now. Roger Miret (vox) might have left the band in recent years though, I'm not sure. You must've heard Cro-Mags and other 80's crossover stuff, right? But that's not what you're looking for.

You want to find more recent stuff? Don't worry there have been boatloads of great hardcore and crust albums over the last 40+ years though, I wish I knew exactly which stuff you were looking for. I'll have to think about it and make you up a list. I know I've posted lists of this kind of stuff before (you must have seen at least one of them) but it's been awhile and I do like to update them from time to time with new stuff I've found.

But right off the bat when you say 'metallic hardcore' the band Integrity pops into my head. And Tragedy. Check them out. I'm assuming you think a lot of the old-time hardcore's production was low budget so some of the really old hardcore records can sound kinda thin and anemic, while when experienced live those bands had a lot more energy and sounded way heavier. So when you say 'metallic' you mean the heavy stuff, right? By the 90's most hardcore and crust records sounded much heavier and more metallic to me anyway. We'll find you some good stuff. Just tell me are you wanting stuff that leans more toward hardcore or more toward metal or 50/50 or just some of each?

Thanks Goatmaster.  Was more referring to more modern bands as I am well aware of the 1980s and early 1990s stalwarts.

Much like modern metal scene there is a lot cookie cutter stuff in the modern hardcore scene.

The big downfall in hunting for hardcore punk is that there are bands that play stuff closer to emo or pop punk that get lumped in as hardcore!  It's like looking up thrash, expecting Slayer level extreme and getting some really poncy folk or power metal.

Oh and crust punk can have bits of thrash eg Amebix who predate death metal for most part.

• 1 month later...

Hey, hey! Actually, I enjoy thrash metal myself (I am a female) -- I just listen to metal music of all types, and thrash metal happens to be one of the genres I enjoy. I'm 17 (turning 18 soon), but a lot of the thrash bands I listen to are from the 80s and 90s. I don't really know many current thrash bands, but I'd honestly love to check more out -- probably get myself into the genre more.

On 8/25/2022 at 1:02 AM, VixenRaves said:

Hey, hey! Actually, I enjoy thrash metal myself (I am a female) -- I just listen to metal music of all types, and thrash metal happens to be one of the genres I enjoy. I'm 17 (turning 18 soon), but a lot of the thrash bands I listen to are from the 80s and 90s. I don't really know many current thrash bands, but I'd honestly love to check more out -- probably get myself into the genre more.

Would you like a few recommendations to get you started? Bear in mind my interest in thrash leans on the more extreme end of the spectrum.

9 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Would you like a few recommendations to get you started? Bear in mind my interest in thrash leans on the more extreme end of the spectrum.

I would love to hear some recommendations! I don't mind the extreme end, though it depends. But that doesn't stop me from being interested in checking out new stuff.

Extreme thrash, can't get much better than Metallica!!

Alternatively go to Metal Archives, do an advanced search for thrash. From there you can add things like country of origin, release year, format, etc. The list will be huge but you'll figure out ways to weed out things so you get more of what you like. You can also use MA by looking at the bands you current like and clinking on the 'similar artists' link. It's not 100% accurate all the time and not every band has artists listed but it's often a good source.

5 hours ago, VixenRaves said:

I would love to hear some recommendations! I don't mind the extreme end, though it depends. But that doesn't stop me from being interested in checking out new stuff.

Modern stuff first then, Vektor play an interesting blend of progressive thrash, Black Future is a good starting point for them. Ritual Carnage fit the bill as a heavy death/thrash band, Every Nerve Alive being my favourite from their albums.

General recs now: Swallowed in Black by Sadus, Finished with the Dogs by Holy Moses, Crossover by DRI, Annihilation of Civilization by Evildead, and Hobbs Angel of Death for something from my neck of the woods., 

1 hour ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Modern stuff first then, Vektor play an interesting blend of progressive thrash, Black Future is a good starting point for them. Ritual Carnage fit the bill as a heavy death/thrash band, Every Nerve Alive being my favourite from their albums.

General recs now: Swallowed in Black by Sadus, Finished with the Dogs by Holy Moses, Crossover by DRI, Annihilation of Civilization by Evildead, and Hobbs Angel of Death for something from my neck of the woods., 

All right, cool! I'll check them out.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's awesome to see that you're into thrash!  It's my second favorite style of metal, just behind groove, which often gets lumped in with thrash - often, there's a nice blend of those two styles.

For the more modern thrash bands, my favorite is from Spain - a band called Angelus Apatrida.  They have 5 albums out as of now, and they're all incredible.  After that, Evile, Havok, Warbringer, freaKings, Battalion, Traitor, Hatchet, Harlott, Bonded by Blood, Dust Bolt, Game Over, Terrifier, Total Annihilation, Anialator, Alkoholizer, Chemicide, and Nervosa (all-female band) are just a few off the top of my head.  Plenty of great stuff to check out!