Rugby

Fraser

They say size matters but it doesn't really. When we last played about 25 years ago the smallest guy on our team was 6'3" and the youngest was 22 and we got decisively whooped by a team of 13 years olds who were no taller than 6'.  Little turds shouldn't have been playing in the adult competition anyway!!

On 6/12/2022 at 3:40 AM, KillaKukumba said:

Isn't ice hockey just an excuse for 20 odd blokes to go out beat the shit out of each other? There is no game is there?

The hockey players are skilled skaters almost balletic I reckon with all those stops and backwards skating and yes they do spend most of the match having fights from what I've seen. It's almost become an expected thing to have these well it was when I last watched a game a few years ago. I've seen a couple of live NHL games which was cool including the Anaheim ducks on there  title winning season. I expected them to suck but actually they were excellent. I spoke briefly to one of there players before the game which was cool. The massive bag with the pads was a giveaway ☺️more padding than rugby

41 minutes ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

The hockey players are skilled skaters almost balletic I reckon with all those stops and backwards skating and yes they do spend most of the match having fights from what I've seen. It's almost become an expected thing to have these well it was when I last watched a game a few years ago. I've seen a couple of live NHL games which was cool including the Anaheim ducks on there  title winning season. I expected them to suck but actually they were excellent. I spoke briefly to one of there players before the game which was cool. The massive bag with the pads was a giveaway ☺️more padding than rugby

At the speeds they're skating net result is they hit a lot harder than rugby, even with the paddng they're bruised all to hell. Same with US football, at the speeds these behemoths are moving they couldn't even have a 16 game season without the pads, they'd all be in the fucking hospital. Not taking anything away from rugby, as Kukey said it's just a more civilized contact sport. Seems Americans aren't happy unless they see black eyes, blood, broken bones and concussions.

1 hour ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

The hockey players are skilled skaters almost balletic I reckon with all those stops and backwards skating and yes they do spend most of the match having fights from what I've seen. It's almost become an expected thing to have these well it was when I last watched a game a few years ago.

Yeah.... uhhhh no. Fighting in Hockey has diminished greatly in the last 15 years or so, both though stringent new rules that have been implemented and newer, younger players smartening up and realizing that breaking your hand or jaw in fight puts you at a missive disadvantage lol. It's actually almost rare to see a fight in an NHL game nowadays. And I'm saying this as someone who watches A LOT of Hockey (and has played it a lot in my youth).

Our games are more heavily regulated (i.e made into fairy games) from outside the sport than inside at a player level. There is plenty of players and supporters saying "bring back the biff", but doctors, and experts off the field are saying no one, even sports people, should be subject to physical harm in the workplace. Once football fields, race tracks, even basketball courts became defined as workplaces everything changed.

The leagues that run the competition here know they are liable for any and every injury as a result of the sport, just as any boss/manager of a company hiring staff is responsible for their well being in the workplace. The big difference is that the leagues can be held responsible for the entire life of the player whereas most employers duty of care finishes when the worker quits, (except with cases like asbestos poisoning etc that can be easily traced back decades). This country may not be as litigious as America but the codes running sport do everything they can to protect their arses from it happening.

On 6/14/2022 at 12:49 AM, zackflag said:

Yeah.... uhhhh no. Fighting in Hockey has diminished greatly in the last 15 years or so, both though stringent new rules that have been implemented and newer, younger players smartening up and realizing that breaking your hand or jaw in fight puts you at a missive disadvantage lol. It's actually almost rare to see a fight in an NHL game nowadays. And I'm saying this as someone who watches A LOT of Hockey (and has played it a lot in my youth).

Things have changed since I last watched hockey then. I was ignorant to why the fighting was taking place in the first place.  Its a sort of rough justice as far as I can tell. Your right the fights are way down in total  numbers now. Most teams are not having the line of enforcers players in there's team but having more players likely to score.  Even the old school enforcers are saying it's not a thing so much for the junior players coming through. They claim it's finished but unless the rules are changed I cant quite believe fighting will just stop at all  hockey matches. It's surprising though as I assumed it would not change. I stand corrected that fighting takes place much less👍

Also now I know why when they fought all that gear would be lobbed away out the way. I did wonder about that. Now I know it's to do with making it a fairly fair fight. 

Out of interest what's your team. Winnipeg/ Montreal/ Toronto?

2 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Things have changed since I last watched hockey then. I was ignorant to why the fighting was taking place in the first place.  Its a sort of rough justice as far as I can tell. Your right the fights are way down in total  numbers now. Most teams are not having the line of enforcers players in there's team but having more players likely to score.  Even the old school enforcers are saying it's not a thing so much for the junior players coming through. They claim it's finished but unless the rules are changed I cant quite believe fighting will just stop at all  hockey matches. It's surprising though as I assumed it would not change. I stand corrected that fighting takes place much less👍

Also now I know why when they fought all that gear would be lobbed away out the way. I did wonder about that. Now I know it's to do with making it a fairly fair fight. 

Out of interest what's your team. Winnipeg/ Montreal/ Toronto?

The Colorado Avalanche are actually my favourite team. They were very dominant in the late 90's/early 2000's and I hopped on the bandwagon then and stuck with them since. I hate Toronto with a burning passion haha.

You are correct that fighting originated in Hockey as a form of self policing. Particularly as a way for teams to protect their teammates, like if an opposing player takes a run (hit or body check) at a star player than that guy probably gonna get some punches thrown his way. So it's a deterrent more than anything. But the NHL implemented what's known as the instigator penalty, meaning that whoever is perceived to have started a fight on the ice gets an extra 2 minutes on top of his 5 minute fighting major. So anytime a fight occurs in most instances one of the two teams will be on a powerplay afterwards, and it's not in a players interest to knowingly make his team kill a penalty haha. The league also made it a rule that you cannot take your helmet off when you drop the gloves. These rules have proven to be quite effective in reducing fighting in the game.

On 6/17/2022 at 2:01 AM, zackflag said:

The Colorado Avalanche are actually my favourite team. They were very dominant in the late 90's/early 2000's and I hopped on the bandwagon then and stuck with them since. I hate Toronto with a burning passion haha.

You are correct that fighting originated in Hockey as a form of self policing. Particularly as a way for teams to protect their teammates, like if an opposing player takes a run (hit or body check) at a star player than that guy probably gonna get some punches thrown his way. So it's a deterrent more than anything. But the NHL implemented what's known as the instigator penalty, meaning that whoever is perceived to have started a fight on the ice gets an extra 2 minutes on top of his 5 minute fighting major. So anytime a fight occurs in most instances one of the two teams will be on a powerplay afterwards, and it's not in a players interest to knowingly make his team kill a penalty haha. The league also made it a rule that you cannot take your helmet off when you drop the gloves. These rules have proven to be quite effective in reducing fighting in the game.

Interesting what you say about why there's less fights in hockey. Tbh my opinion is those massive hits are not needed. Still amazing how couple of rule changes have resulted in much less fights. 

Colorado avalanche were very good around that time.  I started watching some nhl games around 2000 as it was on alot on free to air tv. I'd seen some highlights videos when visiting family in USA that summer which got me interested as I'm from England. Who were your favourite players for Colorado.  I remember the goaltender Patrick Roy being rather excellent especially at not conceding many goals.(shutouts) Joe sakic, Peter forsberg were other  players I liked alot for there attacking play and goals. 

Why do you dislike the maple leafs. They have not won Stanley cup since 1967 so it's not like they win much anymore or are that amazing. Is it there arrogant fans who keep boasting about those Stanley cups they won ages ago