Rugby

Fraser

4 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Your Brummies should have spent those 80 minutes building a bigger lead then they wouldn't have lost by a point to the Kiwis. My theory is you're just cross because the Blues and the Crusaders are better than all the Aussie clubs put together. Must be because they're sponsored by Black Sabbath.

Ha, could be.

But I'm not cross. NZ teams own us in the RU and the Brumbies gave them the game by turning over possession in the last minute and by generally not being good enough.

Now the real thing, the RL, is another matter.

7 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Do we really have those laws? I haven't followed the media laws that closely. I know there is all sorts of caveats in the media contracts that state a certain number of football games must be made available to FTA, but I didn't realise test cricket was also included.

I'm not a huge fan of what other channels have done to the cricket. I know things had to change and I'm no fan of channel 9's commentators since we can't have the Bill and Tony tag team any more, but C9 knew how to film cricket. Kerry Packer might have ruined cricket for the traditionalist when he created the World Series but he created a tv experience that was honed over the years and mastered, the other channels just don't have that.

I think it is the law. And I agree that the cricket ain't the same since the other lot got the rights. But I only think that because I am old and like what I am used to.

On 5/21/2022 at 10:40 PM, Thatguy said:

We have laws to keep Test cricket on free to air TV so it's there if we want it, and so we take it for granted. This won't last forever, of course.

I watched a good game of RU last night (Brumbies vs Blues, Brumbies pipped after the 80 minutes by a field goal) and it did not hold my interest as much a regular RL game between a couple of loser clubs.

The loss to a golden point field goal is the worst feeling in the world. It's only one point but it nullifies  >80 minutes of blood sweat and tears.

Yeah I kinda assumed test cricket would remain on licence fee TV as it's not very popular in the UK compared to football(soccer)I was shocked when it was lost. Watch it while you can. One thing I'd like to see in test cricket is a change in rules so that positive batting gets more reward and runs removed from batters if they block too much😉 

Re the rugby. That's so typical. The match being won by a drop goal. Thats so rugby union. Yeah good man. even a poor rL game is better the recent brumbie blues match👍 course occasionally union is fantastic. 

On 5/21/2022 at 10:51 PM, KillaKukumba said:

Do we really have those laws? I haven't followed the media laws that closely. I know there is all sorts of caveats in the media contracts that state a certain number of football games must be made available to FTA, but I didn't realise test cricket was also included.

I'm not a huge fan of what other channels have done to the cricket. I know things had to change and I'm no fan of channel 9's commentators since we can't have the Bill and Tony tag team any more, but C9 knew how to film cricket. Kerry Packer might have ruined cricket for the traditionalist when he created the World Series but he created a tv experience that was honed over the years and mastered, the other channels just don't have that.

A very popular cricket match commentator and summariser in UK was Richie benaud even if he was an aussie. Murray walker for F1 was also brilliant and well worth a YouTube if you've not heard of him with all that enthusiasm. Buck Martinez is a baseball commentator I thinks good too. He keeps me interested in watching the game even when it's not so great. 

Ritchie was a legend, no other commentator I can remember had the effect on fans that Ritchie did. Murray was of course a legend but I don't remember hordes of fans dressing up like Murray and heading to a race the way they did for Ritchie. Ritchie was also a great bloke, always had time for the fans and enjoyed a guy like The Twelfth Man taking the piss out of him. (Not suggesting Murray wasn't a nice guy, I think he probably was but I never met the guy.)

Bill Lawry and Tony Greig as a tag team in the cricket commentary box were also unbeatable, the way they both seemed to disagree with each other while actually agreeing was brilliant and virtually unmatched. The biggest problem we had in this country was some of the more recent ex players as commentators. Adam Gilchrist was a good crickets but a terrible commentator. Mark Taylor was a good test cricketer but he dribbled so much shit in the box that his commentary was as boring as his ODI batting.

On 5/23/2022 at 9:46 PM, KillaKukumba said:

Ritchie was a legend, no other commentator I can remember had the effect on fans that Ritchie did. Murray was of course a legend but I don't remember hordes of fans dressing up like Murray and heading to a race the way they did for Ritchie. Ritchie was also a great bloke, always had time for the fans and enjoyed a guy like The Twelfth Man taking the piss out of him. (Not suggesting Murray wasn't a nice guy, I think he probably was but I never met the guy.)

Bill Lawry and Tony Greig as a tag team in the cricket commentary box were also unbeatable, the way they both seemed to disagree with each other while actually agreeing was brilliant and virtually unmatched. The biggest problem we had in this country was some of the more recent ex players as commentators. Adam Gilchrist was a good crickets but a terrible commentator. Mark Taylor was a good test cricketer but he dribbled so much shit in the box that his commentary was as boring as his ODI batting.

Yeah in UK there was always people with Ritchie b gear with the mask of course. It was surreal site. I kinda assumed it was just what the England fans did. Apparently Google tells me that iconic look was suggested by Kerry packer as a way to stand out. It sure worked and Google never lies 😉. It's cool Ritchie had time for the fans that certainly beats the rude ones. My cousin spoke to Mike gatting at Trent bridge once. I was too drunk to notice who he was talking too 😁. I hope my cousin didn't call him a barrel as that would not have gone down well. Although my cousin would probably have thought taking a hook from mike would have been good. 🥊

Google could be right, Kerry was a very clever business man, he might not have always been the most honourable person but he was very clever and if it meant more money in his pocket he'd definitely have done or said it.

I think Gatting was doing commentary down here in the summer at one stage. I know we've had Flintoff and Boycott and of course Mr Boat-ham, but it's only fair because we send some of out useless ones over to the UK when it suits us :)

On 5/25/2022 at 12:04 AM, KillaKukumba said:

Google could be right, Kerry was a very clever business man, he might not have always been the most honourable person but he was very clever and if it meant more money in his pocket he'd definitely have done or said it.

I think Gatting was doing commentary down here in the summer at one stage. I know we've had Flintoff and Boycott and of course Mr Boat-ham, but it's only fair because we send some of out useless ones over to the UK when it suits us :)

Beefy boat ham ☺️Your right there are some dull commentators out there. Mark Taylor can be very dull like you said😴another block by Taylor makes 400 in a row 😉. Which  ex England player commentators get you to sleep😴

• 2 weeks later...

Phil Tufnell. . He can really talk from what I remember. He could talk all day to no one I'd imagine. Quite a skill that most of my managers at work have😁. I do like his commentary mostly.kind of funny and quirky. 

Is he for you in the mark Taylor category where he could send you to sleep with his commentary. Phil Tufnell joins for the 2nd test.hello everyone ...🥱😴

Qualification for being a good commentator probably is being able to talk with your head in a bucket of water and a mouth full of marbles, but there is a difference between talk and waffle. They all waffle from time to time but being able to keep an audience interested and talking for so long takes a good story teller.

No one can send the world to sleep like Mark Taylor!! Taylor has been doing commercials for air conditioners here in OZ for decades. It could be the middle of summer, sweltering heat, the humidity is up around 100% and the floor tiles are sweating then Mark Taylor comes on TV and tries to sell an air conditioner. It should be an easy sell, but instead he's so boring you can't help but nod off during the ad. I doubt anyone gets to the end of the ad and actually knows what company he's selling for, let alone if the box he's pointing at does anything.

On 5/13/2022 at 5:43 AM, Thatguy said:

When we went to see Midnight Oil my son pointed out that my speaking voice is very similar to Peter Garrett's. Pete has the accent of a Sydney boy who went to a private school then took up rock and roll. I have the accent of a Westie who got an education...

As for the sherbets, doctors are culturally heavy drinkers here, but even more so in England I discovered, but I am older and wiser now.

That's cool you got a good education. My grandmother had no money but got a degree through nightschool at the London school of economics. It was free for employees. She worked in the day and studied at night. All worked out as she became a solicitor.

I'm sure we are all whingers at some time especially with sports, but having watched SOO for twenty odd years with no favourite team I've just witness more coming from Sydney based fans. But to be fair the forums I am talking about are not sports forums and the Sydney people do spend a lot of the time whinging about everything other states do, forum nerds probably are not a fair representation of Sydneysiders in general.

It's essentially soccer on ice with fisticuffs encouraged because soccer without fisticuffs is way too fucking boring to watch. I don't watch hockey because the puck is so damn small I can't pick up where it is on TV. Going to a game is much better though, I've enjoyed the handful of Rangers games I've been to.  Main problem I have is that hockey season coincides with basketball season and I couldn't possibly follow two sports at the same time especially when NY has 2 basketball teams and 3 hockey teams. So I watch basketball. The finals are happening this week, Boston vs San Francisco. Just 2 or 3 games to go and then I'll get a little break until football season starts in late August. Baseball runs from April to October but that's too fucking boring to watch 162 games of dudes spitting, striking out and scratching their balls so I just ignore baseball.