Rugby

Fraser

1 hour ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Would a change to the point scoring system make a difference to encourage more tries and less kicking points. Is 12 points for a try with one point for try conversion kick t and 1 point for penalty kicks too radical. It certainly be more exciting

I don't know about 12 point tries, but penalties should certainly only be one point.

1 hour ago, KillaKukumba said:

Getting any points for a try is like getting points for participation :P

Spoken like a true Victorian.😉

As a casual observer I would say at 5 points tries are undervalued. I think a 6 point try with a 2 point conversion might be enough to discourage teams from settling for heaps of field goals. Hard to believe that before 1992 tries were only worth 4 points and before 1971 only 3!

I've gotta say that as a Yank I hate the word 'try' for a goal, makes it sound like they tried but couldn't get it over the goal line. As in "Bloody good try dickhead, better luck next time." But now I see the origin of the word was because at one time apparently a try was worth no points at all, grounding the ball over the line only earned your team the opportunity to try to kick a goal. These must have been the rules way back before 1890 when Kuke learned the game as a young lad.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

These must have been the rules way back before 1890 when Kuke learned the game as a young lad.

The evolution of football follows a straight line from medieval combat ball games to Association Football, to primitive rugby - that is, rugby union - to the apotheosis of the evolutionary process -  rugby league.

Along the way an evolutionary deadend now known as AFL developed. That's what Kuke grew up with I think and as a Mexican he is happy to poke the Northern bear.😉

I grew up with VFL, just like my wife from WA grew up with WAFL (not Women's AFL). When they changed to AFL they lost me and I'm more than happy to throw shit at both new codes. Both codes have over paid meatheads who get paid to cuddle each other in front of thousands of people every week. Good luck to them but that's not my entertainment.

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I've gotta say that as a Yank I hate the word 'try' for a goal, makes it sound like they tried but couldn't get it over the goal line. As in "Bloody good try dickhead, better luck next time."

That was what I was shitting on. I don't care what they call it but the word try definitely makes it sound like a participation prize like the kids get these days just for turning up.

On 2/15/2022 at 12:18 AM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

As far as rugby is concerned, I do have seeing the All Blacks play a match on my bucket list and one day I will damn well tick that box off or I'll die trying. Wouldn't know the difference between RU & RL, (I Googled the difference one time a few years back but I've since forgotten. I think it had something to do with having to put the ball down and then sorta flip/kick it back to someone behind you or something, Doc explained it to me once) To me it all just looks like a bunch of dudes running back and forth and jumping on whomever has the ball, and dudes trying to kick it forward downfield before the other dudes get to them.

I'm hoping that when I finally get to see a match in person one day some local blokes can explain the finer points to me. I did that with cricket back in Jan 2017 when Australia tested Pakistan I think it was. One of the Metal-Fi guys Carlos met me at the train station in Sydney with his son and we spent the whole day at the cricket test where he explained it all to me as we drank beer and ate shitty burgers with beetroot on them and got sunburnt all to fuck even though we had purposely shifted our seats to a shady spot in the stadium.

Alcohol and test cricket go together well from my experience. Watched one game sober. Never again. Watching paint dry would have been more fun than seeing Alistair cook block ball after ball in that tedious one day match against Australia.🥱

14 minutes ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Alcohol and test cricket go together well from my experience.

I'll go one step further, alcohol and SPORT go together, I need to be drunk to give more than a passing shit about any sport! Strangely enough I can watch it sober but I have zero care who wins or losses or how many times the umpire made the wrong call.

14 minutes ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Watching paint dry would have been more fun than seeing Alistair cook block ball after ball in that tedious one day match against Australia.🥱

To be fair we had to put up with Mark Taylor doing the same thing in the late 80's and too many now he's a legend of the sport.

I used to when I was a kid (and everyone was in black and white :P ). I had renewed interest when ODI's came into the game because my old man ran the scoreboard at AFL park and we got in for nothing.

I used to play cricket, I wasn't great so then I moved to indoor cricket and was even worse, so I became a kids coach!!

But these days I don't watch cricket and I think the ACB were as weak as piss with the cheating scandal. However my niece plays in one of the women's leagues here so I do follow that a little bit.

Same niece also plays in one of the women's soccer leagues here and her response to footballers since she was 13 is "at least we know what shape a ball is"

2 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

I used to when I was a kid (and everyone was in black and white :P ). I had renewed interest when ODI's came into the game because my old man ran the scoreboard at AFL park and we got in for nothing.

I used to play cricket, I wasn't great so then I moved to indoor cricket and was even worse, so I became a kids coach!!

But these days I don't watch cricket and I think the ACB were as weak as piss with the cheating scandal. However my niece plays in one of the women's leagues here so I do follow that a little bit.

Same niece also plays in one of the women's soccer leagues here and her response to footballers since she was 13 is "at least we know what shape a ball is"

Have to admit I’ve always felt the entire XI should have been banned and all coaches fired, you can’t tell me no one involved with the team didn’t know what was being planned with the sandpaper. As for soccer at least something actually happens in the other codes… typical retort I know

Yeah I tend to agree the players and coaches got off lightly. And to think only a few years after it happened both Smith and Warner had a chance to captain the side again. It might have only been a slim chance due to other players being out, but it was fucking atrocious to think they even had the chance. (Actually I'm just thinking now that Smith might have even got it back for one match due to players with covid, not sure.)

Some would say a nill all draw actually shows how good and evenly matched both teams are, but I doubt those people would be AFL or Rugby followers :)

He did, and I refuse to watch that test on principle, I think in cricket the problem is the governing body of the entire sport doesn’t have harsh penalties for cheating like that, by comparison the penalties received by Warner, Smith, and Bancroft send harsh but in any other sport everyone involved in the team would likely have been banned for life. Certainly in cycling that rider who was caught with a small electric motor in their bike got a lifetime ban. That sport has entirely it’s only problems with cheating though. 

Compared to the other shit that goes on in cycling I'm not even sure a motor is illegal :)

Our main sports codes are all as weak as piss when it comes to the rules. NRL's meat head, macho, image was more important than certain team players harassing women. Alcohol and drug abuse was barely even hidden with some players. NRL took ages to create a drugs policy and when they did it was a based on a ridiculous strike system which resulted in little more than two pats on the back and a few weeks off. Then down south the AFL has thought they were a rule unto themselves for decades, especially in Victoria. They told governments how things would happen, they investigated their own people even on crimes of a police matter and their drug policy was just as much a joke as the NRL. I don't know that much about the Soccer league but with the dipshit who may as well have been shamed out of NRL's top job running the show I can't see it being a huge improvement.

3 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Yeah I tend to agree the players and coaches got off lightly

I will say to you and Relentless - with a smile on my face - get over yourselves. When the sandpaper flew I discussed it with an English mate (who is a member of the MCC whose brother played County cricket) and his take was - yeah, whatever, everyone does it, they were just dumb enough to get caught. It's a bit like pushing the envelope about what you can get away with in the ruck in RL or RU...everyone does it. Is it cheating? Well, yeah.😉

On 2/25/2022 at 12:08 AM, KillaKukumba said:

I'll go one step further, alcohol and SPORT go together, I need to be drunk to give more than a passing shit about any sport! Strangely enough I can watch it sober but I have zero care who wins or losses or how many times the umpire made the wrong call.

To be fair we had to put up with Mark Taylor doing the same thing in the late 80's and too many now he's a legend of the sport.

I'd say Mark Taylor and Alistair cook are legends of the game even with all that blocking. . Cook scored twelve thousand plus runs which I reckon  is incredible. My best mates uncle made cook his bats which was cool, they was well made and that had nothing to do with all that blocking, it was just his approach😂 my mate  got a signed cook bat too which was cool,

Another big blocker I remember being Michael Atherton.

Not to show my age or anything on but my interest in cricket started around the time Steve Waugh retired, and I recall him being quite a Dower and dull cricketer to watch as well. To me it seems like that is how you score consistent runs with Ricky Ponting being the exception, Steve Smith kind of proves my point averaging what mid-60s in test cricket and one of the least entertaining players to watch if you ask me. 

Steve Waugh is dull in real life too :) The idea of test cricket has never been to score fast unless you're in a run chase in the closing stages. But guys like Taylor and Cook took it to the level of boring. Taylor was a great opener in that he often held his ground and remained at the crease, but he needed to score more than 1 run an hour. Cricket can be entertaining without high scores but a batter who blocks 4 balls an over and lets the other 2 go through to the keeper is not that entraining, even Steve Waugh wasn't that boring.

On 2/23/2022 at 12:01 AM, Thatguy said:

I don't know about 12 point tries, but penalties should certainly only be one point.

Spoken like a true Victorian.😉

Cool were in agreement over One point for penalties and conversion kicks. That would hopefully encourage less kicking fest's such as springboks win in 1995 and 2007 cup final where no tries were scored.

What rule change would help bring about more tries.

Have you read about some rule changes that are being trialled in international and domestic rugby at the moment.  

5 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

What rule change would help bring about more tries

Oh, I dunno...how about getting rid of the loose forwards, line-outs and contested scrums.😉

I have not been following the rule change debate. To me -  if RU is not going to give up and admit the superiority of RL - an obvious starting point is to change ruck infringement penalties to line kicks only rather than goal kicks and to make goal scoring penalties perhaps only for dangerous play. Contested scrums are a blight on the game and clearly unsafe except at elite level and still unsafe there.

I know I am being a bit of a dick about this and derailing the thread but I am a Sydney Westie by origin and so RL is in my blood.

On 2/19/2022 at 11:19 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

2nd row looked that up.   Cool you played for county. Do you still get caps for that. My great grandfather played for Yorkshire and I've got the cap in the loft at my parents house. You played against Italy. You mean the national team. 

Re the injuries yeah not good and reason to stop. I know people who did not and they can't walk like an uncle.  Do you have any effects from the knocks to the head. My cousin says he gets headaches as result of various fights he's been in but not all started by him. My cousin😁

Eddie Jones is amazing coach overall his record is top,3 world cup finals if I'm not mistaken. His salary is crazy though. How many millions a year. 

Euan Murray. What a powerhouse.very  Impressive muscular physique. Hes had very interesting life with stopping playing on Sunday for his faith and being a vet.  

That's cool naming your kid Euan after Mr murray

I will take your word on France winning. Do you reckon South Africa will join 6 nations. There's talk of it and Italy getting booted out. 

Sorry for late reply. 

I did not receive any caps for playing for Dorset no, would have been cool if that was a thing. And no I did not play the National Italy team as such, it was the Benetton Treviso Club with a selection of the National academy players also. Extremely hard game which even made the local papers. The hospitality was the best we experienced anywhere in Europe. Amazing to play on a pitch with an idyllic clubhouse at one end and snow capped mountains on the other. Stunning. 

On 2/28/2022 at 12:57 PM, Fraser said:

Sorry for late reply. 

I did not receive any caps for playing for Dorset no, would have been cool if that was a thing. And no I did not play the National Italy team as such, it was the Benetton Treviso Club with a selection of the National academy players also. Extremely hard game which even made the local papers. The hospitality was the best we experienced anywhere in Europe. Amazing to play on a pitch with an idyllic clubhouse at one end and snow capped mountains on the other. Stunning. 

Maybe caps are only awarded for club and country now Frasier. Mind you what use is a hat with a silly tassle anyway. I'm guessing that not all as impractical as the one my great grandfather got.   😁

Sounds amazing that Italian match. What a setting. The team you faced sound like they had some good players in there. What an experience. 👏👏

In interview Will carling said Jonah lomu was one of the best and most powerful he's played against. He said he threw everything at Jonah in the semi final for one of his tries but he just bounced  off Jonah. 

On 2/23/2022 at 3:43 AM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I've gotta say that as a Yank I hate the word 'try' for a goal, makes it sound like they tried but couldn't get it over the goal line. As in "Bloody good try dickhead, better luck next time." But now I see the origin of the word was because at one time apparently a try was worth no points at all, grounding the ball over the line only earned your team the opportunity to try to kick a goal. These must have been the rules way back before 1890 when Kuke learned the game as a young lad.

As an English dude I'd never thought of why a try is called a try. I googled it. It's called a try as you get a try to kick the ball between the posts and get some points.  Originally grounding the ball down in the try zone counted for nothing without making the conversion kick. Hope that clears things up for you goat master