Rugby

Fraser

It was that alternate footy code that turned me to League. League hadn't made the same mistakes the VFL did at the time, but it didn't take them long and like all sporting codes it became about money not the sport. I would have turned to Union, but it had shit coverage on TV and it just wasn't entertaining enough to stay up late for.

2 hours ago, Fraser said:

Yeh sorry mate but fuck League! Still baffles me how its even considered Rugby. We used to use league as a training practise as it excluded the proper contact so avoiding injury. Good fitness aid but Union is the one for me! 

I was going to politely ignore this thread but you have provoked me. I played RU at school and RL at the weekends when I was a kid. But I grew up in the Western Suburbs of Sydney and I did not go to a private school, so it's RL for me.

Here RL players go to RU to wind down and have a quiet life playing a much less physically demanding and less extreme contact sport. RL distills the essence of rugby and excludes the boring shit. RU is fun to play but goddam boring to watch.

Go the mighty EELS in 2022.

Hate me.

2 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

I know what hate is, I was living in Adelaide the year Melbourne took the Grand Prix and I was living in Sydney the year Storm took the NRL trophy! :)

Yeah fuck Melbourne, Mynhier Formula One isn’t what it used to be so maybe they can keep that after all.

mind you Formula One isn’t what it used to be so maybe they can keep that after all.

I’m in 90s kid, I’ve never known a time before AFL and even that’s not what it used to be though I’m still absolutely mad for my team.

I love the hate NSW has for Storm, it's not as bad as the hate some idiots in Adelaide had when they lost the GP. Fuck that was bad, my truck got graffitied with all sorts of shit because it had Vic plates on it, people would abuse the Vic drivers, I mean it's kind of funny to think about it now, but it's also really sad.

When I grew up I was a mad keen VFL fan, had all the team colours, photos, I was a member, we had a long family history with the game and team, I just lost respect for the sport when it became more about money. But there is no denying that it is our one true sport, a game that was invented here and a game that most Aussies are passionate about.

On 2/10/2022 at 1:06 AM, Fraser said:

Being a big Rugby fan and longtime ex-player I feel a topic is needed! 

Six Nations is currently being played out and being a proud Scotsman I could not be happier with the start. 

Any Rugby fans? 

Fraser good discussion.hope you doing good.  The six Nations. Well done on beating the English. I don't know what happened to us  😱 beaten by a better team. Can Scotland win it this year?

Ex England player Chris Ashton is related to my brother's wife. It was good for my brother's father in law as he got free tickets when Chris was at Northampton saints. I think this is cool but most people are not as excited as I get. 

Talking about rugby league. My best friend lives in Leeds and he's seen a rugby league match.classy cas Castleford Vs can't remember 😂 not sure how they got the knickname but it's bit of an ear worm. 

As far as rugby is concerned, I do have seeing the All Blacks play a match on my bucket list and one day I will damn well tick that box off or I'll die trying. Wouldn't know the difference between RU & RL, (I Googled the difference one time a few years back but I've since forgotten. I think it had something to do with having to put the ball down and then sorta flip/kick it back to someone behind you or something, Doc explained it to me once) To me it all just looks like a bunch of dudes running back and forth and jumping on whomever has the ball, and dudes trying to kick it forward downfield before the other dudes get to them.

I'm hoping that when I finally get to see a match in person one day some local blokes can explain the finer points to me. I did that with cricket back in Jan 2017 when Australia tested Pakistan I think it was. One of the Metal-Fi guys Carlos met me at the train station in Sydney with his son and we spent the whole day at the cricket test where he explained it all to me as we drank beer and ate shitty burgers with beetroot on them and got sunburnt all to fuck even though we had purposely shifted our seats to a shady spot in the stadium.

On 2/10/2022 at 6:32 PM, RelentlessOblivion said:

Yeah fuck Melbourne

In general, and most especially the Melbourne Scum - salary cap cheats and inventors of every cheating tactic of the last 15 years - 'a parcel of maggots and a blight on the game.' They stole our Premiership...

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I'm hoping that when I finally get to see a match in person one day some local blokes can explain the finer points to me.

I'll take you to see the Eels at Bankwest Stadium if ever the opportunity presents and explain what is going on and why it is better than RU. There will be thousands of screaming Westies in Eels jumpers. Lovely.

In Aussie literature (and TV and movies) it is a characterisation short-cut to let the reader know the character is an Eels supporter. It is short-hand for 'Westie loser.' Well, fuck youse all is what I say.

Oh, and a RU anecdote. Years ago I took my son to ACT Brumbies vs UK Lions. We walked past some Scots wearing kilts and the son - being a mouthy teenager - said something about dudes wearing skirts. I had to look him in the eye and seriously tell him that he was lucky they didn't hear him and that if he valued his front teeth he should never say that again.

10 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Fraser good discussion.hope you doing good.  The six Nations. Well done on beating the English. I don't know what happened to us  😱 beaten by a better team. Can Scotland win it this year?

Ex England player Chris Ashton is related to my brother's wife. It was good for my brother's father in law as he got free tickets when Chris was at Northampton saints. I think this is cool but most people are not as excited as I get. 

Talking about rugby league. My best friend lives in Leeds and he's seen a rugby league match.classy cas Castleford Vs can't remember 😂 not sure how they got the knickname but it's bit of an ear worm. 

Was very happy to beat the English and secure the Calcutta cup for a second year in a row. Very unhappy with the performance against Wales as I thought it should be an easier task than the English. I think it Is Frances to loose now this year. 

No rugby this week but back the week after. 

On 2/15/2022 at 10:06 AM, Fraser said:

Was very happy to beat the English and secure the Calcutta cup for a second year in a row. Very unhappy with the performance against Wales as I thought it should be an easier task than the English. I think it Is Frances to loose now this year. 

No rugby this week but back the week after. 

Frasier good to hear from you. 

I will take your word on France being favourites to win it now. 

What position did you play in rugby 🏉 when you used to play. I played till I was 11 but quit because I was lazy😁 main job I did was tackling people. I was quite good at that. Can't remember the position name. 

I'm no expert on rugby but I was surprised Eddie Jones kept his job after England's last six nations showing. Were you surprised? You was probably happy England did so bad. 😁

have you got a favourite player? Martin Johnson I always thought was phenomenal. Plus my best mate knows his dad which I think is cool too. What a player Johnson captaining England to world cup glory. Probably you don't want to be reminded of that again

11 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Frasier good to hear from you. 

I will take your word on France being favourites to win it now. 

What position did you play in rugby 🏉 when you used to play. I played till I was 11 but quit because I was lazy😁 main job I did was tackling people. I was quite good at that. Can't remember the position name. 

I'm no expert on rugby but I was surprised Eddie Jones kept his job after England's last six nations showing. Were you surprised? You was probably happy England did so bad. 😁

have you got a favourite player? Martin Johnson I always thought was phenomenal. Plus my best mate knows his dad which I think is cool too. What a player Johnson captaining England to world cup glory. Probably you don't want to be reminded of that again

France seem to have that ability like New Zealand to turn another gear on when needing to step up and win a game, playing very good rugby at the moment so would be surprised if they now do not win the Six Nations. 

I played Second Row (number 5) for Wimborne RFC (Dorset) and played for the County of Dorset for a short period. We travelled all over Europe even playing the Italian boys team who were undefeated in two years before our rabble turned up. I played for about 15 years, I now have the bad back and knee to show for it, along with some amazing memories. 

Eddie Jones is a good leader, he has a very young England team this year and they haven't gelled as well as other years yet. Cant say I mind haha

Favourite player back in the day when I was young was Gavin Hastings, Then Euan Murray, My first born son is called Euan because of him. And now would be Hamish Watson. 

On 2/18/2022 at 9:31 AM, Fraser said:

France seem to have that ability like New Zealand to turn another gear on when needing to step up and win a game, playing very good rugby at the moment so would be surprised if they now do not win the Six Nations. 

I played Second Row (number 5) for Wimborne RFC (Dorset) and played for the County of Dorset for a short period. We travelled all over Europe even playing the Italian boys team who were undefeated in two years before our rabble turned up. I played for about 15 years, I now have the bad back and knee to show for it, along with some amazing memories. 

Eddie Jones is a good leader, he has a very young England team this year and they haven't gelled as well as other years yet. Cant say I mind haha

Favourite player back in the day when I was young was Gavin Hastings, Then Euan Murray, My first born son is called Euan because of him. And now would be Hamish Watson. 

2nd row looked that up.   Cool you played for county. Do you still get caps for that. My great grandfather played for Yorkshire and I've got the cap in the loft at my parents house. You played against Italy. You mean the national team. 

Re the injuries yeah not good and reason to stop. I know people who did not and they can't walk like an uncle.  Do you have any effects from the knocks to the head. My cousin says he gets headaches as result of various fights he's been in but not all started by him. My cousin😁

Eddie Jones is amazing coach overall his record is top,3 world cup finals if I'm not mistaken. His salary is crazy though. How many millions a year. 

Euan Murray. What a powerhouse.very  Impressive muscular physique. Hes had very interesting life with stopping playing on Sunday for his faith and being a vet.  

That's cool naming your kid Euan after Mr murray

I will take your word on France winning. Do you reckon South Africa will join 6 nations. There's talk of it and Italy getting booted out. 

Eddie Jones should - of course - have been the Australian coach, but he didn't go to the right school and rubbed up against the inbred numties who run the tiny minority sport of RU here in Oz. RU wouldn't be hanging on here at all if not for Islanders.

Good for you though Fraser and I can see why you love the game.

23 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Eddie Jones should - of course - have been the Australian coach, but he didn't go to the right school and rubbed up against the inbred numties who run the tiny minority sport of RU here in Oz. RU wouldn't be hanging on here at all if not for Islanders.

Good for you though Fraser and I can see why you love the game.

You mean Eddie jones getting the Aussie coach job again. He did get the team to the 2003 final where England won 🌹🏉💪

21 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I don't rate us at all. RU remains a tiny minority sport led by morons. 

I'm thinking that applies to rugby union in England. From my experience it's mostly a private school sport in England.  

Run by morons. On discussion sites re rugby union alot of Aussies say that 

Would a change to the point scoring system make a difference to encourage more tries and less kicking points. Is 12 points for a try with one point for try conversion kick t and 1 point for penalty kicks too radical. It certainly be more exciting