Gripe

Fraser

What annoys you? I like a rant and a moan. Im sure many of you do as well

Il start with an easy one that winds me up! The LOL, FML anagram bullshit. Ive even heard people saying LOL in place of normal language or expressions of laughter. I dont text any of it, let alone say it and any adult that does makes me cringe. 

(who will be the first to reply to this topic with one?)  

Fucking everything annoys me.  Sometimes merely being alive annoys me. 

Though people at work, bad government decisions, shit drivers, stupidity, crumbs on kitchen benches, flies, strong wind, hayfever, birdshit, not being in control of my own destiny, some family occasions, dysfunctional justice systems,  people being unable to stick to a plan, most reality TV shows, ignorance, groups of tourists, things breaking in the house or car, making mistakes and loud motorbikes irritate me more than other things.

At times I also find my own personality really irritating.  I literally have no idea how other people stand me cause I sure as fuck can't a lot of the time.

Id say my most infuriating and classed as a genuine phobia which i fully believe in is Misophonia 100%. Mainly people eating but generally anything! Tapping, whistling, humming etc. I can get so genuinely angry I will leave the room. 

The eating one gets me bad, sorry but its just manners, no one needs to hear you eat. Or dragging food off your fork/spoon with your teeth. I put it down to bad upbringing. Poor manners simply! Feel bad for my kids as it was a daily thing, but they both now at 11 & 7 eat perfectly. A positive quality to have in my book.

I do get a bit of that irritation listening to people eat.  People eating with their mouths open really pisses me off.

Forgot to mention, every parent blaming their kid's lack of discipline and misbehaviour on autism and/or ADHD also pisses me off to no end.

It's down to the point where some parents I've met will drop how their kid is autistic/ADHD/fucked in the head within 5 minutes of meeting them.  It's like they are trying to pre-empt any bad behaviour by their kid with a disclaimer. 

My wife suffered from misophobia. After being married for some time I had no more tolerance left for it and I wanted to strangle her. Because it was just every fucking thing all of the time. Landscapers mowing lawns 2 blocks over, dogs barking late at night miles off in the distance, the lady downstairs playing her drum and bass music in her kitchen softly, but not quite softly enough. The audacity I had of breathing, coughing or sniffling in her presence. Her constant complaining about the noises no one else noticed or cared about was a million times worse for everyone around her (mainly me) than the stupid noises themselves.

But the best story was the time we were on a cross country road trip together from SF to NY before we were married, and one night we stopped in Denver. We had made no reservations anywhere on this trip, we were just playing it by ear, driving each day until we felt like stopping. So there were no rooms available in downtown Denver, the hotel even called all over the place for me. After much consternation and strife in the car I finally got on the phone and started calling various large hotel chains' toll free numbers and after a few minutes I managed to landed us a room at the Sheridan Hotel in Lakewood Colorado, about 30 minutes from downtown. So we GPS'd our way over there and checked in I guess around 8pm. Asked the desk clerk and she recommended a nice restaurant within walking distance. We ate a fantastic dinner and then went back up to the room around 10, tired from driving all day and we went to bed early around 11. 

She woke me up from a sound sleep sometime after 3am, "Do you hear that noise?" "What noise?" I replied. "Shhhhh just listen." she said. I listened. Heard nothing. "It sounds like something's dripping" she said. "Nope, don't hear anything." "Listen harder!" she hissed. I listened as hard as I could. Still nothing. "Come here" she said, and took me by the hand into the bathroom. "Now listen." I stood there and listened. "Up here" she said pointing at the ceiling. Still nothing. Then she got angry with me. Clearly she thought I was just being difficult and feigning not being able to hear her phantom drip so I could go back to bed. "We can't stay here, call the front desk, we have to switch rooms" she said. "You're out of your mind" I said, "we're not switching rooms at 3:30 in the fucking morning. They probably wouldn't even let us switch rooms if we asked." So 30 minutes later I got dressed and went down and brought the luggage trolley up from the lobby and we packed up all our tremendous amount of shit that she wasn't comfortable leaving in the car overnight, and we switched rooms, even went to another floor. Obviously being on the top floor would aleviate all our noise problems. Now it's 4am and I'm wide awake. She goes right to sleep in the new room and I lied there awake for the rest of the night. To this day I still don't think there was actually a dripping noise at all, she was just completely fucking insane.

2 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

My wife suffered from misophobia. After being married for some time I had no more tolerance left for it and I wanted to strangle her. Because it was just every fucking thing all of the time. Landscapers mowing lawns 2 blocks over, dogs barking late at night miles off in the distance, the lady downstairs playing her drum and bass music in her kitchen softly, but not quite softly enough. The audacity I had of breathing, coughing or sniffling in her presence. Her constant complaining about the noises no one else noticed or cared about was a million times worse for everyone around her (mainly me) than the stupid noises themselves.

But the best story was the time we were on a cross country road trip together from SF to NY before we were married, and one night we stopped in Denver. We had made no reservations anywhere on this trip, we were just playing it by ear, driving each day until we felt like stopping. So there were no rooms available in downtown Denver, the hotel even called all over the place for me. After much consternation and strife in the car I finally got on the phone and started calling various large hotel chains' toll free numbers and after a few minutes I managed to landed us a room at the Sheridan Hotel in Lakewood Colorado, about 30 minutes from downtown. So we GPS'd our way over there and checked in I guess around 8pm. Asked the desk clerk and she recommended a nice restaurant within walking distance. We ate a fantastic dinner and then went back up to the room around 10, tired from driving all day and we went to bed early around 11. 

She woke me up from a sound sleep sometime after 3am, "Do you hear that noise?" "What noise?" I replied. "Shhhhh just listen." she said. I listened. Heard nothing. "It sounds like something's dripping" she said. "Nope, don't hear anything." "Listen harder!" she hissed. I listened as hard as I could. Still nothing. "Come here" she said, and took me by the hand into the bathroom. "Now listen." I stood there and listened. "Up here" she said pointing at the ceiling. Still nothing. Then she got angry with me. Clearly she thought I was just being difficult and feigning not being able to hear her phantom drip so I could go back to bed. "We can't stay here, call the front desk, we have to switch rooms" she said. "You're out of your mind" I said, "we're not switching rooms at 3:30 in the fucking morning. They probably wouldn't even let us switch rooms if we asked." So 30 minutes later I got dressed and went down and brought the luggage trolley up from the lobby and we packed up all our tremendous amount of shit that she wasn't comfortable leaving in the car overnight, and we switched rooms, even went to another floor. Obviously being on the top floor would aleviate all our noise problems. Now it's 4am and I'm wide awake. She goes right to sleep in the new room and I lied there awake for the rest of the night. To this day I still don't think there was actually a dripping noise at all, she was just completely fucking insane.

Damn mate thats a harsh story and I can only sympathise with you. And i thought mine was bad. I think your last statement was true, completely insane!

you still married?  

2 minutes ago, Fraser said:

Damn mate thats a harsh story and I can only sympathise with you. And i thought mine was bad. I think your last statement was true, completely insane!

you still married?  

Widowed.

No, I didn't kill her, I swear. It was cancer that got her. She died thousands of miles away in New Zealand because of the US healthcare system's refusal to perform her liver surgery unless we paid them the entire $116,000 up front. She was only 33.

16 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

The sound of someone chewing while on the phone

As long as they're not chewing on the phone itself.

18 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Widowed.

No, I didn't kill her, I swear. It was cancer that got her. She died thousands of miles away in New Zealand because of the US healthcare system's refusal to perform her liver surgery unless we paid them the entire $116,000 up front. She was only 33.

As long as they're not chewing on the phone itself.

Damn man, so sorry to hear that. 

19 minutes ago, zackflag said:

"Bro". The word itself and the people who say it a lot, usually men around my age or younger. That shit drives me nuts.

I'll admit I've said it a lot ironically, just my little way of making fun of the 'Chad bro' frat boy douche crew who don't often seem to catch on that I'm just fucking with them. Problem is I've done this for so long that I'll occasionally slip and catch myself saying it for real. And believe me my friend, I fucking hate myself for it.

37 minutes ago, Fraser said:

Damn man, so sorry to hear that. 

Thanks, but no worries. It's been a little over 4 years now so I've come to terms with it. 

9 hours ago, Fraser said:

Id say my most infuriating and classed as a genuine phobia which i fully believe in is Misophonia 100%. Mainly people eating but generally anything! Tapping, whistling, humming etc. I can get so genuinely angry I will leave the room.

Hah, I wrote my thesis on the neighbouring phenomena of hyperacusis. There was a huge overlap between the two conditions, some even argued that it's symptoms of the same underlying cause.

On 2/3/2022 at 3:51 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

She woke me up from a sound sleep sometime after 3am, "Do you hear that noise?"

My wife had a problem with cats in the roof space in a hotel in Vanuatu...

But so did I. There were cats living in the roof and - as cats will - they got frisky at night. My wife had to try to explain this to reception in French.

My gripe is business who fucking lie. I went to the concrete recycling center to get rid of a tandem trailer full of bricks today and I'd already checked on their website that they took domestic loads free if they were in manageable sizes (smaller than 800mm). But when I get there the guy tells me it's $20. Of course I question it and tell him the website says otherwise but he says trucks are free trailers are not and it's his choice. I don't mind paying $20 to get rid of what was probably 3 tonne of bricks and the prices at the council tip would have been higher, but to put something on you're website and then not follow it sucks!

• 4 months later...

my gripe is my schools one way system in the hallways. you could reach just outside your classroom and a teacher will show up out of nowhere, and youll have to walk literally around the entire school when your classroom was 2 meters away from you... extra gripe points if you get a late mark, mega gripeshite points if you get a detention

What would they do if you walked 2 meters in the wrong direction to get to your class? Would they kick you out? Take you down to the basement and have the math teachers work you over? They would have to kick me out. They tried that one-way shit here in the supermarkets in 2020. Put decals on the floor indicating the intended direction for that aisle which everyone basically ignored. That didn't last too long. 

On 2/9/2022 at 9:50 PM, KillaKukumba said:

My gripe is business who fucking lie. I went to the concrete recycling center to get rid of a tandem trailer full of bricks today and I'd already checked on their website that they took domestic loads free if they were in manageable sizes (smaller than 800mm). But when I get there the guy tells me it's $20. Of course I question it and tell him the website says otherwise but he says trucks are free trailers are not and it's his choice. I don't mind paying $20 to get rid of what was probably 3 tonne of bricks and the prices at the council tip would have been higher, but to put something on you're website and then not follow it sucks!

Yeah OK Karen. 

Generally I can tell, but this time I have absolutely no idea if you're being sarcastic here as usual or you're dead serious Kuke. 

I'd have to pay at least $400 US to dump 6,600 pounds of bricks, probably more. Throwing the dude a $20 for his trouble (and an Aussie $20 at that which is a mere pittance at $13.60 US) seems too good to be true. That is essentially dumping your 3 tons of bricks for free and then just tipping the guy a small token amount as a courtesy. I know the act of tipping is a foreign concept to your mob over there, but I have a hard time believing that bloke didn't demand at least $50.