What metal albums do you listen before going to sleep?

SteamPunker

10 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

James t I'm impressed you've given that I recommendation I mentioned a go. that's great you like it. It's bit niche but I sure like it. I've listened to  saturnus and it sounds very similar to the one I recommended  for first half of albumt. Veronica decides to die was name of album.Thanks for recommendation. Not heard others yet

Lamb of God are touring UK in December. I like them but not enough for £50 tickets. They cost half that when I saw them last almost 10 years ago. They may have more e elaborate show now. 

Have you ever seen an arena/stadium show. Never been to one myself although may go to machine head/ amon amarth co tour later this year 

Oh yeah, I love new recommendations!  It's a blast discovering new music.  Really glad you liked Saturnus.  "Veronica Decides to Die" is my favorite album of theirs and one of my favorite metal albums, period.  The opening track alone is worth the price.  

That's really cool that Lamb of God is touring the UK at the end of the year.  I understand what you mean about the price, though.  I just saw Overkill live last weekend here in the States, and the ticket cost me $126.  But they're my favorite thrash band of all time, so I was more than happy to pay it.  But if it had been a band I wasn't especially crazy about, I wouldn't have made the purchase.  

I've been to 1 arena show, and it was Metallica back in January of 2019.  The place holds 19,000 people, just in the seats.  But with the standing room only tickets on the floor, I bet there were about 21,000 total.  It's my dream to see AC/DC in an arena/stadium setting, but I can't imagine how much tickets will cost when they finally do go on the PWR UP tour.  I'm keeping it in mind, though!  

21 hours ago, JamesT said:

Oh yeah, I love new recommendations!  It's a blast discovering new music.  Really glad you liked Saturnus.  "Veronica Decides to Die" is my favorite album of theirs and one of my favorite metal albums, period.  The opening track alone is worth the price.  

That's really cool that Lamb of God is touring the UK at the end of the year.  I understand what you mean about the price, though.  I just saw Overkill live last weekend here in the States, and the ticket cost me $126.  But they're my favorite thrash band of all time, so I was more than happy to pay it.  But if it had been a band I wasn't especially crazy about, I wouldn't have made the purchase.  

I've been to 1 arena show, and it was Metallica back in January of 2019.  The place holds 19,000 people, just in the seats.  But with the standing room only tickets on the floor, I bet there were about 21,000 total.  It's my dream to see AC/DC in an arena/stadium setting, but I can't imagine how much tickets will cost when they finally do go on the PWR UP tour.  I'm keeping it in mind, though!  

I'd like to see Mettalica live. Ive got to just pay the money. Last time they toured UK tickets were £100 and I said no. However when they next tour I may just buy some tickets anyway. What was they like live did they have lots of props and special effects. Obviously they've got the amazing music. 

New music from unexpected places is great. Iron maiden xfactor was last surprise purchase I got from a metal forum recommendation. It was a case where I got it because I liked it and was something a bit different. I don't know about you but if I listen to the same style of metal non stop I just get bored and sick of it. At those points I put my other styles of metal on. Keeps things fresh. With Veronica decides to die. The early tracks were my favourite and was very much music I listen to alot of the time. Produced by Flemming Rasmussen who Mettalica fans know who that is😉

For a band you like alot why not. I've spent similar money on watching some sports events in the United States and it was not worth it as the match was boring but that's the risk. Even bands have off nights. It makes the great concerts even more memorable. 

Good luck with getting tickets for acdc show

If you want to see a real AC/DC show you should wait to see Dale Evans, he was only part of the band for about 12 months and he hasn't been in the band in nearly 50 years but he still thinks he's part of the band.

I read this morning that he's releasing a cover of Heartbreak Hotel because he and AC/DC recorded it way back in 74 or thereabouts and it was never released, but he really feels a new version needs to be out there to show fans what the old version might have sounded like. Honestly things don't get more AC/DC that seeing Dale Evans at your local retirement village where no one remembers anything and his set includes 14 versions of Can I Sit Next To You Girl!

Oops this is the sleep thread, not the nightmares thread!

3 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

I'd like to see Mettalica live. Ive got to just pay the money. Last time they toured UK tickets were £100 and I said no. However when they next tour I may just buy some tickets anyway. What was they like live did they have lots of props and special effects. Obviously they've got the amazing music. 

New music from unexpected places is great. Iron maiden xfactor was last surprise purchase I got from a metal forum recommendation. It was a case where I got it because I liked it and was something a bit different. I don't know about you but if I listen to the same style of metal non stop I just get bored and sick of it. At those points I put my other styles of metal on. Keeps things fresh. With Veronica decides to die. The early tracks were my favourite and was very much music I listen to alot of the time. Produced by Flemming Rasmussen who Mettalica fans know who that is😉

For a band you like alot why not. I've spent similar money on watching some sports events in the United States and it was not worth it as the match was boring but that's the risk. Even bands have off nights. It makes the great concerts even more memorable. 

Good luck with getting tickets for acdc show

Thanks!  Hopefully, I can make it to a show!

Metallica was awesome live!  I wasn't a fan of any of their 90's albums (including the Black Album), but I enjoyed "Death Magnetic", "St. Anger", and "Hardwired...to Self-Destruct" quite a bit.  They played a great mix of some of their 80's classics and some newer stuff as well.  It was a 360-stage, so the whole band rotated to different microphones and faced different parts of the arena throughout the show, so it was a really cool idea.  There were some pretty cool pyrotechnics during a few songs as well.  I'm guessing they're paying more attention to safety these days, since Hetfield was accidentally burned on stage during a live show several years back.  But yes, it was a great show and one I'll never forget!

I think the Maiden albums with Blayze are really good.  A truly pleasant surprise.  Always good to mix up different styles for sure.  My favorite style is groove metal, with thrash, traditional heavy metal, and straight-up rock 'n roll following closely behind.  

I'm just glad live music is happening again! 

On 3/21/2022 at 2:20 AM, JamesT said:

Thanks!  Hopefully, I can make it to a show!

Metallica was awesome live!  I wasn't a fan of any of their 90's albums (including the Black Album), but I enjoyed "Death Magnetic", "St. Anger", and "Hardwired...to Self-Destruct" quite a bit.  They played a great mix of some of their 80's classics and some newer stuff as well.  It was a 360-stage, so the whole band rotated to different microphones and faced different parts of the arena throughout the show, so it was a really cool idea.  There were some pretty cool pyrotechnics during a few songs as well.  I'm guessing they're paying more attention to safety these days, since Hetfield was accidentally burned on stage during a live show several years back.  But yes, it was a great show and one I'll never forget!

I think the Maiden albums with Blayze are really good.  A truly pleasant surprise.  Always good to mix up different styles for sure.  My favorite style is groove metal, with thrash, traditional heavy metal, and straight-up rock 'n roll following closely behind.  

I'm just glad live music is happening again! 

Thanks for info James t. 

Man that's so cool your a blaze fan. There's not enough of us😁

Mettalica live would be amazing. That's good the 360 degree thing works, I was never convinced it would work but it's one where it works better live I bet. My mate says there amazing live with the selection of songs like you say. It's cool to hear another  good review re this. Seeing them and maiden is on my bucket list. All that pyro and stage props will make an amazing spectacle for both bands. 

Yeah cool not just me who likes a variety of metal. That's why I rarely listen not to metal. That's quite a selection you got. Do you listen to ambient stuff. I've got in to that more recently.

ITS good we've got live music back for now at least. I'm seeing magnum Monday. 2 years after they were scheduled to play because of you know what. Hopefully it won't get cancelled again

3 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Thanks for info James t. 

Man that's so cool your a blaze fan. There's not enough of us😁

Mettalica live would be amazing. That's good the 360 degree thing works, I was never convinced it would work but it's one where it works better live I bet. My mate says there amazing live with the selection of songs like you say. It's cool to hear another  good review re this. Seeing them and maiden is on my bucket list. All that pyro and stage props will make an amazing spectacle for both bands. 

Yeah cool not just me who likes a variety of metal. That's why I rarely listen not to metal. That's quite a selection you got. Do you listen to ambient stuff. I've got in to that more recently.

ITS good we've got live music back for now at least. I'm seeing magnum Monday. 2 years after they were scheduled to play because of you know what. Hopefully it won't get cancelled again

Agreed!  Not enough Blayze fans!  

It's interesting you mentioned ambient stuff, because I really love it!  I enjoy depressive, atmospheric doom and/or black metal on occasion.  There's something about the trance it puts me in - it just takes me to another world entirely.  But yes, I think ambient stuff is fantastic.  I can kick back with the headphones on, close my eyes, and be whisked away.  Do you have any recommendations for ambient music?

Excellent!  I really hope you get to go to the live show!  I look forward to hearing how it went. 

On 3/23/2022 at 1:21 AM, JamesT said:

Agreed!  Not enough Blayze fans!  

It's interesting you mentioned ambient stuff, because I really love it!  I enjoy depressive, atmospheric doom and/or black metal on occasion.  There's something about the trance it puts me in - it just takes me to another world entirely.  But yes, I think ambient stuff is fantastic.  I can kick back with the headphones on, close my eyes, and be whisked away.  Do you have any recommendations for ambient music?

Excellent!  I really hope you get to go to the live show!  I look forward to hearing how it went. 

James t good to hear from you. Hope your doing good. Yeah I agree not enough blaze fans especially of the X factor and virtual 11  which I like alot. 

Mettalica played last year in UK and maiden are only doing download festival. I don't fancy 3 day festival, especially the mud fest that often happens at UK download festival. 

Cool you like ambient stuff. Slows deeper in the space.......album  is worth a listen. Kind of eerie but very atmospheric and interesting to listen to.   Actually most of the stuff I considered ambient are just long doom tracks i.e 45 mins and up. Out of interest what ambient stuff do you recommend. 

On 3/26/2022 at 5:53 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

James t good to hear from you. Hope your doing good. Yeah I agree not enough blaze fans especially of the X factor and virtual 11  which I like alot. 

Mettalica played last year in UK and maiden are only doing download festival. I don't fancy 3 day festival, especially the mud fest that often happens at UK download festival. 

Cool you like ambient stuff. Slows deeper in the space.......album  is worth a listen. Kind of eerie but very atmospheric and interesting to listen to.   Actually most of the stuff I considered ambient are just long doom tracks i.e 45 mins and up. Out of interest what ambient stuff do you recommend. 

Doing great!  Just started a new job this week, so I haven't been on here in a few days.  Hope you're doing well, too!

There's an ambient project called How to Disappear Completely, and their 2019 album "Seraphim" has been my go-to lately for that style.  I also enjoy some depressive piano-driven atmospheric music by Nights Amore.  I believe it's only one person, but I can't swear to it.  A lot of those pieces are just haunting.  

21 hours ago, JamesT said:

Doing great!  Just started a new job this week, so I haven't been on here in a few days.  Hope you're doing well, too!

There's an ambient project called How to Disappear Completely, and their 2019 album "Seraphim" has been my go-to lately for that style.  I also enjoy some depressive piano-driven atmospheric music by Nights Amore.  I believe it's only one person, but I can't swear to it.  A lot of those pieces are just haunting.  

That's great you started a new job. Hope that works for you. I was moved areas in my work but now I'm back in my previous area because of the lack of work in my new area. I'm pleased to have work tbh so I'm good. 

How to disappear completely seraphim is easy listening and relaxing so could easily catch some zzzzz's to this😁 Sounds like it could be music for a modern murder mystery program I've been watching. I'm liking it. Thanks for the suggestions.im yet to hear the others but will let you know when I hear them.  Also Did you get to hear that slow deeper in the space higher in the ocean album that I recommended. What did you think. Did you like it

On 3/31/2022 at 6:40 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

That's great you started a new job. Hope that works for you. I was moved areas in my work but now I'm back in my previous area because of the lack of work in my new area. I'm pleased to have work tbh so I'm good. 

How to disappear completely seraphim is easy listening and relaxing so could easily catch some zzzzz's to this😁 Sounds like it could be music for a modern murder mystery program I've been watching. I'm liking it. Thanks for the suggestions.im yet to hear the others but will let you know when I hear them.  Also Did you get to hear that slow deeper in the space higher in the ocean album that I recommended. What did you think. Did you like it

Thanks, I appreciate it!  It's been great so far.  Looking forward to building a nice career there.  Glad to hear you have work and are content!

That's great that you're enjoying the "Seraphim" album.  I had the same thoughts you did about it.  It's very relaxing and a bit haunting at the same time.  And yes!  "Deeper in the Space, Higher in the Ocean" has been a very enjoyable experience.  Thanks for the recommendation!  It transports me to another world, which is always a welcome characteristic of a new musical discovery. 

What else have you been diving into lately?  I've been on a rock 'n' roll binge, myself.  AC/DC, Krokus, and Hardbone have been getting some serious rotation, especially during my workouts. 

On 4/2/2022 at 7:27 PM, JamesT said:

Thanks, I appreciate it!  It's been great so far.  Looking forward to building a nice career there.  Glad to hear you have work and are content!

That's great that you're enjoying the "Seraphim" album.  I had the same thoughts you did about it.  It's very relaxing and a bit haunting at the same time.  And yes!  "Deeper in the Space, Higher in the Ocean" has been a very enjoyable experience.  Thanks for the recommendation!  It transports me to another world, which is always a welcome characteristic of a new musical discovery. 

What else have you been diving into lately?  I've been on a rock 'n' roll binge, myself.  AC/DC, Krokus, and Hardbone have been getting some serious rotation, especially during my workouts. 

James t good luck with building that career. My job is finite and I'm enjoying it at the moment. Working with good people helps alot. 

Fantastic you liked the slow album. Seraphim I liked too. I've had a few albums I wanted to buy but lack of green held me back😞no iron maiden Virtual 11 just yet although I did get a fantastic magnum t shirt when I saw them last week. There a hard rock band but they were excellent live. 

new conjurer(doomy metal ) album looks promising but I need to hear more than 1 track. 

Cool Rock n roll binge. Why not listen to what you like. I've been listening to latest wolves in the throne room album again which I'm liking. Very atmospheric.theyve got a bit of a sound going on from the last album  on this and I like it. 

Out of interest What other bands are you listening to when your not working out. 

Not heard of krokus or hard bone. Will Google them. 

On 4/4/2022 at 6:08 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

James t good luck with building that career. My job is finite and I'm enjoying it at the moment. Working with good people helps alot. 

Fantastic you liked the slow album. Seraphim I liked too. I've had a few albums I wanted to buy but lack of green held me back😞no iron maiden Virtual 11 just yet although I did get a fantastic magnum t shirt when I saw them last week. There a hard rock band but they were excellent live. 

new conjurer(doomy metal ) album looks promising but I need to hear more than 1 track. 

Cool Rock n roll binge. Why not listen to what you like. I've been listening to latest wolves in the throne room album again which I'm liking. Very atmospheric.theyve got a bit of a sound going on from the last album  on this and I like it. 

Out of interest What other bands are you listening to when your not working out. 

Not heard of krokus or hard bone. Will Google them. 

Awesome!  I'll have to check out the new Conjurer album.  I don't listen to a ton of doom, but when I'm in the mood for it, I really appreciate it deeply.  The latest release from Wolves in the Throne Room is absolutely incredible!  Might be their best album yet.  I'll have to give it a few more spins.

As for some other bands I've been jamming lately, it's been a lot of southern-influenced groove metal in the vein of PanterA (my favorite band of all time).  Betzefer, Caustic Method, Hell's Fire, Black Inhale, Monster Coyote, and Mourning Tide are all bands I've been rocking out to lately.

Let me know what you think of Krokus!  I've only just recently discovered them, but I've listened to them almost non-stop lately.  Hardbone is a rock 'n roll band I've been loving for about 6 years now, and I have all of their releases.  Can't go wrong with any of them.  I'd also recommend a band called Overdrivers, if you're not familiar with them already.  They're just pure high-energy rock 'n roll - no frills, just straight-ahead steam!  Happy listening! 

On 4/8/2022 at 2:48 AM, JamesT said:

Awesome!  I'll have to check out the new Conjurer album.  I don't listen to a ton of doom, but when I'm in the mood for it, I really appreciate it deeply.  The latest release from Wolves in the Throne Room is absolutely incredible!  Might be their best album yet.  I'll have to give it a few more spins.

As for some other bands I've been jamming lately, it's been a lot of southern-influenced groove metal in the vein of PanterA (my favorite band of all time).  Betzefer, Caustic Method, Hell's Fire, Black Inhale, Monster Coyote, and Mourning Tide are all bands I've been rocking out to lately.

Let me know what you think of Krokus!  I've only just recently discovered them, but I've listened to them almost non-stop lately.  Hardbone is a rock 'n roll band I've been loving for about 6 years now, and I have all of their releases.  Can't go wrong with any of them.  I'd also recommend a band called Overdrivers, if you're not familiar with them already.  They're just pure high-energy rock 'n roll - no frills, just straight-ahead steam!  Happy listening! 

James t hello again. 

Overdrivers  do very catchy music. It reminds me of mostly acdc, vocals of aerosmith a bit(Joe Tyler),airborne. Considering first two albums they recorded themselves they sound amazing. The mechanic I work with will like this. Well probably 😉

That new wolves in the throne room album I like alot. Very catchy. I like the videos. Very interesting. Have you seen the videos.  Another album that I liked more than I thought after another play was Mettalica st anger. I enjoyed it most out of any of there albums since the black album was today's impression, that energy was fantastic to hear, it's repetitive and the drums sound I don't like so much.  I think it was you I spoke to about this album. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

Not heard of the other bands you mentioned but I will give them a listen

17 minutes ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

James t hello again. 

Overdrivers  do very catchy music. It reminds me of mostly acdc, vocals of aerosmith a bit(Joe Tyler),airborne. Considering first two albums they recorded themselves they sound amazing. The mechanic I work with will like this. Well probably 😉

That new wolves in the throne room album I like alot. Very catchy. I like the videos. Very interesting. Have you seen the videos.  Another album that I liked more than I thought after another play was Mettalica st anger. I enjoyed it most out of any of there albums since the black album was today's impression, that energy was fantastic to hear, it's repetitive and the drums sound I don't like so much.  I think it was you I spoke to about this album. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

Not heard of the other bands you mentioned but I will give them a listen

Yes, that's right!  We did speak about "St. Anger".   I really like that album, and I know I'm in the minority with that opinion.  After the very disappointing releases of the mid-90's (Load and Reload), it was refreshing to hear Metallica go heavy again.  There aren't any guitar solos on "St. Anger", but there are some brutal moments throughout.  They were a band trying to find their way again after some terrible flirtation with mainstream, radio-friendly music.  Glad you liked it!  I'll be flying the flag for "St. Anger" until the day I die.  

I haven't seen the videos from Wolves in the Throne Room, but I'll have to check them out.

Overdrivers are one of my favorites these days!  I just love the high-octane sound, and the guitar work is very impressive.  

I'll be curious to hear what you think of some of those groove metal bands.  Happy listening! 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Before I go to sleep, I find that I listen to a lot of songs from Jinjer's Wallflowers (2021) album. 

I also listen to either Thoughtless, Coming UndoneMy Gift to You, or Throw Me Away by KoRn. I'm a pretty big fan of Korn, and I find that their "slowish" songs can be pretty calming at night, especially after a long day at school. I remember last year in my algebra class, I didn't really get much sleep one night, so I fell asleep in the class listening to KoRn songs. My friends thought it was funny that I fell asleep to KoRn songs, let alone metal music! And I was out -- it took them quite a while to wake me up.

But it's nothing abnormal to me, I listen to metal music during a lot of times of the day, because I find when I listen to metal, I actually feel less stressed and more relaxed. Music is like a calming mechanism for me, and metal, for some reason, has always been something that I find helps me if I need to get rid of any anxiety before a test or a presentation I may have in class (I hate speaking in front of the classroom).

If I really feel the need to listen to a song that will take my mind off any anxiety or stress I'm having so that my mind feels more clear before going to sleep, I'll listen to a few Electric Callboy songs in the shower because a lot of their songs are just so upbeat, and I feel like with those positive vibes, they can help me to sleep better if I'm not worrying about anything at night.

Rosemary by Deftones is also a very relaxing song to listen to at night! Also, interestingly, I find Blackwater Park by Opeth to be pretty relaxing too! 

Also, a lot of Nightwish songs are pretty relaxing to listen to at night too.

• 3 months later...