What metal albums do you listen before going to sleep?

SteamPunker

On 1/21/2022 at 7:50 AM, SteamPunker said:

I've been listening to Crack the Skye by Mastodon and alot of Black Metal recently, and for some reason they help me go to sleep. 
What are some albums that make you doze off?

Hi steampunker. Slows deeper in the space and higher in the ocean has done so. I do like the album when I'm not so sleepy.ambient dream like with  doomy bits

Which black metal bands sends you off for some zzzzz's 😴 steam punker. You just mentioned black metal. 

Dark Ambient stuff for me, such as

AUN, Barn owl, Cryobiosis, Lustmord etc. 

To be honest I usually fall asleep to Only Fools and Horses or Porridge on the TV but I do on occasion like to fall asleep to some Dark Ambient music, usually leads to some weird dreams. 

2 hours ago, Fraser said:

Dark Ambient stuff for me, such as

AUN, Barn owl, Cryobiosis, Lustmord etc. 

To be honest I usually fall asleep to Only Fools and Horses or Porridge on the TV but I do on occasion like to fall asleep to some Dark Ambient music, usually leads to some weird dreams. 

Rodney you plonker!! And Granville fetch your cloth

love Porridge and Only Fools 😂😂 and open all hours aswell great shows, I love how Arkwright can never get his words out properly and how he is so stingy. Ronnie Barker was brill in Porridge as was David Jason, I love the episode with the ping pong ball i think it was

also Mr Mackay is class

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Bogey079 said:

Testament, Overkill and Annihilator, thrash metal in general as I find that kind of music most relaxing

Love all 3 of those bands.  Great choices!

I've been falling asleep to "Ashes of the Wake" by Lamb of God more than anything.  Tonight, it'll be "Taking Over" by Overkill, since I've basically had that album on repeat for 2 days now.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/17/2022 at 2:07 AM, JamesT said:

Love all 3 of those bands.  Great choices!

I've been falling asleep to "Ashes of the Wake" by Lamb of God more than anything.  Tonight, it'll be "Taking Over" by Overkill, since I've basically had that album on repeat for 2 days now.

I used to fall asleep to metal but the amount of headphones I broke put me off carrying on. It's been a few years so I can't remember what sent me off but I suspect burn my eyes machine head, wintersun forest seasons etc and both I love.  Now I just put on ear defenders as any small noise keeps me awake. Not so easy to break too. Lamb of God I should give them more of a listen. I got sacrament cd when I saw them live few years ago. Me and my future wife went to that gig. but I should give them another listen. Is ashes of the wake worth a listen. What do you like about it. 

I used to break headphones in bed so then I moved to ear buds. I really only listen to music when I go to sleep (as opposed to falling asleep while music is on in the car, or in the room), when it's really windy. The noise of the house banging in the wind shits me so I put music on. For going to sleep I don't give a crap about quality, I use a $10 MP3 player and some $2 ear buds. I'm over any fears of falling asleep and strangling myself with the cord, or doing any damage to my ears because I know the buds fall out pretty easy.

3 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

I used to fall asleep to metal but the amount of headphones I broke put me off carrying on. It's been a few years so I can't remember what sent me off but I suspect burn my eyes machine head, wintersun forest seasons etc and both I love.  Now I just put on ear defenders as any small noise keeps me awake. Not so easy to break too. Lamb of God I should give them more of a listen. I got sacrament cd when I saw them live few years ago. Me and my future wife went to that gig. but I should give them another listen. Is ashes of the wake worth a listen. What do you like about it. 

Yes, definitely recommend giving Lamb of God another listen!  They're one of my favorite bands.  To me, "Ashes of the Wake" is their best album, followed closely by their 2020 self-titled release.  The main thing about Lamb of God is they have a perfect blend of thrash-y elements and groove metal reminiscent of PanterA (my favorite band of all time).  Plus, I believe Randy Blythe is one of the best and most unique vocalists in metal these days.  

"Ashes of the Wake" is just a flawless album.  It has speedier numbers, as well as some sick grooves.  The production is top-notch, and the album never gets boring.  You can play it from start to finish at any time.  If you end up giving it a shot, let me know what you think!

LOG put me to sleep as well, but not because I enjoy listening to them. Last time I gave them a chance I couldn't get through their discography, I got up to Wrath and just couldn't find anything interesting enough to keep going. Maybe they are good and my old timers ears are missing something I'll regret but I guess I'll have to live with it because I've tried multiple times and always had the same result.

On 3/14/2022 at 3:10 AM, JamesT said:

Yes, definitely recommend giving Lamb of God another listen!  They're one of my favorite bands.  To me, "Ashes of the Wake" is their best album, followed closely by their 2020 self-titled release.  The main thing about Lamb of God is they have a perfect blend of thrash-y elements and groove metal reminiscent of PanterA (my favorite band of all time).  Plus, I believe Randy Blythe is one of the best and most unique vocalists in metal these days.  

"Ashes of the Wake" is just a flawless album.  It has speedier numbers, as well as some sick grooves.  The production is top-notch, and the album never gets boring.  You can play it from start to finish at any time.  If you end up giving it a shot, let me know what you think!

Thanks for the info. I will let you know how I get on 

On 3/13/2022 at 11:58 PM, KillaKukumba said:

LOG put me to sleep as well, but not because I enjoy listening to them. Last time I gave them a chance I couldn't get through their discography, I got up to Wrath and just couldn't find anything interesting enough to keep going. Maybe they are good and my old timers ears are missing something I'll regret but I guess I'll have to live with it because I've tried multiple times and always had the same result.

Sure, everyone has different taste.  Lamb of God is one of my favorite bands, so I enjoy all of their stuff.  Blythe is a fantastic vocalist and really gives the music an extra dimension.  But of course they're not for everyone.  Personally, I find absolutely nothing enjoyable about the black metal genre, but I would never call it "garbage" just because it's not my taste.  Lamb of God will always be near the top for me.  Regardless of what you enjoy, happy listening! 

On 3/14/2022 at 3:10 AM, JamesT said:

I've enjoyed ashes of the wake more than sacrament. It's got more variety which helps. However I've not heard any stand out tracks in the red neck, walk with me in hell calibre but I still like ashes more.  Thanks for recommending. 

Have you seen them live. I thought they was excellent live including Randy's vocal performance. He's quite funny from what I remember about some of the between tracks comments. I'd see them again

Tbh I listen to more blackened death/doom. Some fantastic stuff out there.  Whilst you can't get enough of the groove I can't get enough of a doomy melody.aphonic threnody the drowning is perfect example. 

24 minutes ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

I've enjoyed ashes of the wake more than sacrament. It's got more variety which helps. However I've not heard any stand out tracks in the red neck, walk with me in hell calibre but I still like ashes more.  Thanks for recommending. 

Have you seen them live. I thought they was excellent live including Randy's vocal performance. He's quite funny from what I remember about some of the between tracks comments. I'd see them again

Tbh I listen to more blackened death/doom. Some fantastic stuff out there.  Whilst you can't get enough of the groove I can't get enough of a doomy melody.aphonic threnody the drowning is perfect example. 

I was actually set to see Lamb of God live back in June of 2020 (I had purchased the ticket in February of 2020), but of course it ultimately got shut down due to the pandemic.  And it was eventually announced that the particular tour package for the show I was going to attend (Lamb of God, Megadeth, In Flames, Trivium) wasn't going forward, so I was issued a refund.  I'd love to see Lamb of God live one day, though!

That's really cool that you've enjoyed "Ashes of the Wake".  It came out in 2004, which was the year I turned 14, so I feel like I've grown up with these guys.  

And hey, that's really cool, too, that you're into doom.  I really love Candlemass and My Dying Bride quite a bit.  Solitude Aeturnus and Saturnus are a couple of others I enjoy.  I'll check out the Aphonic Threnody that you mentioned!  

7 minutes ago, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

I listened to Razor's Shotgun Justice the other night before bed, wasn't a great idea because I was so pumped with adrenaline I couldn't get to sleep!

Very cool!  "Violent Restitution" is one of the most underrated thrash albums ever released, in my opinion. 

10 minutes ago, JamesT said:

Very cool!  "Violent Restitution" is one of the most underrated thrash albums ever released, in my opinion. 

That is a fantastic album, I think Shotgun Justice is the best Razor album though, maybe even the best Thrash album ever made, its certainly one of the most insanely fast and brutal thrash albums.

7 hours ago, JamesT said:

Sure, everyone has different taste.  Lamb of God is one of my favorite bands, so I enjoy all of their stuff.  Blythe is a fantastic vocalist and really gives the music an extra dimension.  But of course they're not for everyone.  Personally, I find absolutely nothing enjoyable about the black metal genre, but I would never call it "garbage" just because it's not my taste.  Lamb of God will always be near the top for me.  Regardless of what you enjoy, happy listening! 

I'd call black metal garbage, although to be fair I'd only do it for the reaction of black metal fans telling me I'm wrong. Kind of like you did when someone else used the words garbage and LOG in the same sentence.

30 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

I'd call black metal garbage, although to be fair I'd only do it for the reaction of black metal fans telling me I'm wrong. Kind of like you did when someone else used the words garbage and LOG in the same sentence.

Haha fair enough!  I'm obviously not in the band, so it's no skin off my back if someone doesn't like them.  I just like to hear everyone's taste without demeaning the bands they're talking about.  Rock on!

On 3/16/2022 at 6:00 PM, JamesT said:

I was actually set to see Lamb of God live back in June of 2020 (I had purchased the ticket in February of 2020), but of course it ultimately got shut down due to the pandemic.  And it was eventually announced that the particular tour package for the show I was going to attend (Lamb of God, Megadeth, In Flames, Trivium) wasn't going forward, so I was issued a refund.  I'd love to see Lamb of God live one day, though!

That's really cool that you've enjoyed "Ashes of the Wake".  It came out in 2004, which was the year I turned 14, so I feel like I've grown up with these guys.  

And hey, that's really cool, too, that you're into doom.  I really love Candlemass and My Dying Bride quite a bit.  Solitude Aeturnus and Saturnus are a couple of others I enjoy.  I'll check out the Aphonic Threnody that you mentioned!  

James t cool to hear from you. When I hear candlesmass epica doomicus album I hear similarity between Phil Anselmo vocals and this album. It's only the high pitch stuff squeals. Apparently Phil is big doom fan so maybe he was inspired for those. Have you ever made that connection. 

Ashes of the wake. I'm going to listen again to it. It's cool to have those memories attached to it. Your right youve grown up with lamb of god

You will see log live before too long.  They tend to be on amazing tours. They've played with obituary, slayer and megadeth recently including the one that got cancelled. Sorry to remind you again about that. 

Thanks for the doom recommendations and definitely check out the one I mentioned. It's amazing 

1 hour ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

James t cool to hear from you. When I hear candlesmass epica doomicus album I hear similarity between Phil Anselmo vocals and this album. It's only the high pitch stuff squeals. Apparently Phil is big doom fan so maybe he was inspired for those. Have you ever made that connection. 

Ashes of the wake. I'm going to listen again to it. It's cool to have those memories attached to it. Your right youve grown up with lamb of god

You will see log live before too long.  They tend to be on amazing tours. They've played with obituary, slayer and megadeth recently including the one that got cancelled. Sorry to remind you again about that. 

Thanks for the doom recommendations and definitely check out the one I mentioned. It's amazing 

That's an interesting connection!  I hadn't thought of that before.  But I have heard that Phil is a huge fan of slower types of metal, such as doom and sludge.  He was always a big proponent of one of my top 5 favorite bands of all time - Crowbar.  He would routinely wear Crowbar shirts during music video shoots and during live shows.  

Great call!  You can never listen to too much Lamb of God, so I know you'll enjoy it.  

I'm really digging this stuff from Aphonic Threnody!  Very well executed.  Appreciate the recommendation! 

On 3/16/2022 at 3:40 PM, KillaKukumba said:

If by 'someone else' you mean me, I believe what I actually said was that 'Blythecore' was garbage. I think with a different vocalist they could have had been redeemable to a certain extent, but it sure didn't help them any when their best musician left the band.

As far as black metal fans telling you that you're wrong, well that's just silly. How could you be wrong? If you think something's garbage, then that's what you think. Right or wrong have nothing to do with it, it's your opinion, subjective to your taste. As a black metal fanatic I'm totally used to the hate and resistance it often gets from mainstreamers. And it doesn't phase me, I've even come to expect it. I'll never understand why some people can seem to take it quite personally when someone badmouths some music they happen to like. Different people are simply looking for different things from their music.

Funny how there doesn't seem to be much of a problem when people disagree about other subjective things in life, like films, books, food or a painting or something. No one would ever take it personally as blatant disrespect if someone told them they hated a film or a book or a vegetable or a flavor of ice cream that they happened to like. To each his own. Nobody likes everything, which means everyone won't like something. People need to loosen up, it's OK not to like stuff and to say so. Especially on a forum where we all come primarily to talk about music. As long as you keep it about the music. I certainly bear no ill will toward Blythecore fans or Anselmoshers just because I can't stand those bands' music.

Not singling out a person, right or wrong, was the point of the post. The whole post was tongue in cheek just like every post where I'd said I'm going to shit on black metal. But it's good that it prompted a response, after all that's what forums are all about, one person comments another responds, the more this happens the more active a forum is. But hey that's stating the obvious, kind of like saying black metal sucks!

On 3/18/2022 at 12:53 AM, JamesT said:

That's an interesting connection!  I hadn't thought of that before.  But I have heard that Phil is a huge fan of slower types of metal, such as doom and sludge.  He was always a big proponent of one of my top 5 favorite bands of all time - Crowbar.  He would routinely wear Crowbar shirts during music video shoots and during live shows.  

Great call!  You can never listen to too much Lamb of God, so I know you'll enjoy it.  

I'm really digging this stuff from Aphonic Threnody!  Very well executed.  Appreciate the recommendation! 

James t I'm impressed you've given that I recommendation I mentioned a go. that's great you like it. It's bit niche but I sure like it. I've listened to  saturnus and it sounds very similar to the one I recommended  for first half of albumt. Veronica decides to die was name of album.Thanks for recommendation. Not heard others yet

Lamb of God are touring UK in December. I like them but not enough for £50 tickets. They cost half that when I saw them last almost 10 years ago. They may have more e elaborate show now. 

Have you ever seen an arena/stadium show. Never been to one myself although may go to machine head/ amon amarth co tour later this year