Tips or songs for me being all new to metal

Daiena

Question

Hi everyone!

So im new to metal and i have some questions and sorry if it sounds stupid but i have to start somewhere to learn.

I never ever listened to metal before and never could imagine that i would. But just a few days ago i was really curious to listen and see what metal is.

People gave me recommendations to start with. Metallica, Judas Priests, Black Sabbath and some more. I tried this and it was okey. But i wanted to explore more so i was thinking about what death metal is. I thought that all heavy metal is death metal, so i google and found some bands like Canibal Corpse, Morbid Angel and Black Dahlia Murder. For me this sounded better than the ones i was recommended, but there was a growl like gutteral or how you say in english that i did not like very much. I was surprised that i did listen a full day because this is soo heavy sound for me. I think for my mood and focus this gave me some help, this is why i didnt feel like i wanted to stop.

I start look on spotify and youtube and search everything, listen to playlists, getting recommendations and all that. I want to have songs on my playlist but i have only found a few that i really like and can play on repeat super loud. This is the ones i found and like so far:

Bathotry - A fine day to die

Dimmu Borgir - In deaths embrace

Mayhem - Deathcrush

Darkthrone - Transilvanian hunger

Burzum - Det som en gang var

Behexen - A distant call from the darkness

Behexen - Blessed be the darkness

Satanic Warmaster - The vampiric Tyrant

Satanic Warmaster - Carelian Satanist Madness

This is not as many as i want it to be, so maybe anyone have some recommendations of more metal like this (or death metal like this) i be happy.

I think i have gone crazy little because i could not even dream i would like metal. Maybe this have been in my soul always but never knew about it, i dont know. But im not gonna tell anyone i know about what im listening to, im gonna keep this for me only.

I be happy for any advice or suggestions you might have for me.

15 answers to this question

Ah cool. You're a black metal fan and you didn't even know it. Fun! I think the first thing you should do is listen to the full albums all those songs came from. Might take a few listens through before the other songs start to click, but I bet they will. And then maybe try some other albums by the same bands. The best music doesn't always reach out and grab you immediately, it can take some patience, especially when you're starting off.

8 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Ah cool. You're a black metal fan and you didn't even know it. Fun! I think the first thing you should do is listen to the full albums all those songs came from. Might take a few listens through before the other songs start to click, but I bet they will. And then maybe try some other albums by the same bands. The best music doesn't always reach out and grab you immediately, it can take some patience, especially when you're starting off.

Oh yes I see in my Spotify that it have been black metal essentials not death metal. Thank you for telling me.

Okey I will listen to the full albums, trying to think what to start with 🤔

I look on Spotify they have not Satanic Warmaster so can only listen on youtube annoying. 

Forgot to say that I have heard this almost same low growl in Darkthrone that was sound from death metal. I want more the angry screaming you know what I mean? 

Definitely listen to complete albums. Sounds like your going through some black metal basics. 

Check out:

• Emperor, 'Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk and In the Nightside Eclipse
  • Immortal/At the Heart of Winter, /Pure Holocaust, and Sons of Northern Darkness
  • Bathory, Under the Sign of the Black Mark & Blood Fire Death

• Satyricon/Nemesis Divina & Dark Medieval Times

• Gorgoroth/Under the Sign of Hell, Pentagram, Antichrist and Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam

• Darkthrone/Under a Funeral  Moon and A Blaze in the Northern Sky 

• Enslaved/Frost (early classic) and later progressive black metal such as Isa, Ruun and Axioma Ethica Odini

l

I'll work you up a list Daiena because it just so happens that angry screaming/shrieking is my thing. I like death metal vocals too, but for me black metal is way better. The vocals not being quite right is probably the biggest deal-breaker for me in black metal, I like them just so.

On your little list there I'd say Behexen would probably be the best choice if you want angry screaming, like the real raw throated larynx shredding shrieking, their vocals are one of the best examples of what I look for from black metal vocals. You'll want to start with their debut, Rituale Satanum.

If you like Behexen and Satanic Warmaster then you might try some more Finnish bands: Azaghal, Baptism, Horna, Sargeist, Havukruunu, Sielunvihollinen, Hautakammio, Malum, Marras, Aegrus, Oath, Lathspell, Forgjord...they have tons of albums between them. There are more good Finn bands as well but those are some of the better known ones and that should keep you busy for awhile. 

25 minutes ago, markm said:

Definitely listen to complete albums. Sounds like your going through some black metal basics. 

Check out:

• Emperor, 'Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk and In the Nightside Eclipse
  • Immortal/At the Heart of Winter, /Pure Holocaust, and Sons of Northern Darkness
  • Bathory, Under the Sign of the Black Mark & Blood Fire Death

• Satyricon/Nemesis Divina & Dark Medieval Times

• Gorgoroth/Under the Sign of Hell, Pentagram, Antichrist and Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam

• Darkthrone/Under a Funeral  Moon and A Blaze in the Northern Sky 

• Enslaved/Frost (early classic) and later progressive black metal such as Isa, Ruun and Axioma Ethica Odini

l

Thank you for your suggestions 🙂

Yeah...you're going to want to look more into black metal if it's the raspy, screechy vocals you like. Death metal is primarily known for it's "growled" vocal style. That being said, don't give up on death metal completely. There's a lot of variety in that genre, and I'd be surprised if you didn't find something you liked....maybe give some of the Swedish Death Metal bands like Dismember or Entombed a try, just to see how you feel about them. I'd also recommend something like Incantation or maybe Autopsy from the U.S. 

When you're first getting into things, it's really about just trying different bands and different styles and seeing what clicks for you personally, there's no real other way to do it...and don't be afraid to go back to bands later on down the road and try again. As your preferences develop they also tend to evolve and what sounds terrible to you now may be something you really enjoy later on.

For black metal, you have so many bands still ahead of you...and that's a good thing. Discovering this stuff is half the fun of listening to metal. I'm going to try and recommend bands who are pretty solid with all their releases, so you can listen to something at random without getting a bad impression of the band.

So try out Emperor, Horna, Marduk, Sargeist, Mgla, Baptism, Azaghal and Immortal and see what you think of any of those.

For Darkthrone specifically, it really depends on which albums you listen to..they've gone from playing Death Metal on their first album (Soulside Journey), to really locking in the blueprint for what black metal sounds like, and then moved to a more traditional metal/punk style of music. For now, I'd stick with the albums A Blaze in the Northern Sky, Under a Funeral Moon, Transilvanian Hunger, and maybe Panzerfaust just because those will probably be more in line with what you want.

...if you want more recommendations, we can definitely do that...we'll give you bands for days. I just don't want to overload you with a thousand bands right from the start

12 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I'll work you up a list Daiena because it just so happens that angry screaming/shrieking is my thing. I like death metal vocals too, but for me black metal is way better. The vocals not being quite right is probably the biggest deal-breaker for me in black metal, I like them just so.

On your little list there I'd say Behexen would probably be the best choice if you want angry screaming, like the real raw throated larynx shredding shrieking, their vocals are one of the best examples of what I look for from black metal vocals. You'll want to start with their debut, Rituale Satanum.

If you like Behexen and Satanic Warmaster then you might try some more Finnish bands: Azaghal, Baptism, Horna, Sargeist, Havukruunu, Sielunvihollinen, Hautakammio, Malum, Marras, Aegrus, Oath, Lathspell, Forgjord...they have tons of albums between them. There are more good Finn bands as well but those are some of the better known ones and that should keep you busy for awhile. 

When I’m listening to album from a band that I liked 1 or 2 songs, it can come suddenly slow music just like a ballade or songs with low growl so I think I by mistake have changed album genre to death metal band. I not like so much. But i respect people who like death metal growl and music and the artists, it’s just not for me but i don’t mean to trash other peoples taste. 

Today I listened much to Satanic Warmaster and i like it really. I get feelings of anger to everything but i have always felt that so this just makes me ventilate. 

Thank you so much for your song suggestions, i will see now if i can find them all on Spotify. I can’t find Satanic Warmaster there, or i have found something but when i try play it says something is wrong and it won’t play. I think they delete artists that they don’t want so i need find on youtube 😡

4 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Yeah...you're going to want to look more into black metal if it's the raspy, screechy vocals you like. Death metal is primarily known for it's "growled" vocal style. That being said, don't give up on death metal completely. There's a lot of variety in that genre, and I'd be surprised if you didn't find something you liked....maybe give some of the Swedish Death Metal bands like Dismember or Entombed a try, just to see how you feel about them. I'd also recommend something like Incantation or maybe Autopsy from the U.S. 

When you're first getting into things, it's really about just trying different bands and different styles and seeing what clicks for you personally, there's no real other way to do it...and don't be afraid to go back to bands later on down the road and try again. As your preferences develop they also tend to evolve and what sounds terrible to you now may be something you really enjoy later on.

For black metal, you have so many bands still ahead of you...and that's a good thing. Discovering this stuff is half the fun of listening to metal. I'm going to try and recommend bands who are pretty solid with all their releases, so you can listen to something at random without getting a bad impression of the band.

So try out Emperor, Horna, Marduk, Sargeist, Mgla, Baptism, Azaghal and Immortal and see what you think of any of those.

For Darkthrone specifically, it really depends on which albums you listen to..they've gone from playing Death Metal on their first album (Soulside Journey), to really locking in the blueprint for what black metal sounds like, and then moved to a more traditional metal/punk style of music. For now, I'd stick with the albums A Blaze in the Northern Sky, Under a Funeral Moon, Transilvanian Hunger, and maybe Panzerfaust just because those will probably be more in line with what you want.

...if you want more recommendations, we can definitely do that...we'll give you bands for days. I just don't want to overload you with a thousand bands right from the start

Thank you so much! 

Yes this is really good feeling to go from something i know nothing about and not interested, to start knowing little by little and interest wake to life.

12 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Somehow, I intuited this would be a goat general's call of duty. After all, when in hell, do as the goats do....

I will admit it's hard to resist someone saying that they just discovered metal two days ago and they think black metal's the sub-genre for them, could anyone recommend some bands? Of course I could reco some black metal bands with shrieky vocals! How often does that happen? It's just so much better than I heard an album with a skull on the cover 25 years ago that went da da da da da da da da dum dum dum da da da does anyone know what band it could be? Get the fuck outta here with that weaksauce.

9 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Hey Daiena...make sure to come back every once in awhile and let us know how things are going with your search

Absolutely i will!

5 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I will admit it's hard to resist someone saying that they just discovered metal two days ago and they think black metal's the sub-genre for them, could anyone recommend some bands? Of course I could reco some black metal bands with shrieky vocals! How often does that happen? It's just so much better than I heard an album with a skull on the cover 25 years ago that went da da da da da da da da dum dum dum da da da does anyone know what band it could be? Get the fuck outta here with that weaksauce.

My english is not the best so i dont understand. Im sorry.

I got so many exciting suggestion so i wrote down everyhing you guys gave me so it would be more easy to get a overview.

Right now im listening to one of your suggestion Sargeist and already like it. When i look at my playlists there are a few songs from every black metal bands i so far going through, so i dont know why i pick some here and there, i would want to like full albums and save them to my library.

So today I have listened to Satanic Warmaster and Sargeist. I downloaded on Spotify the album Let the devil in by Sargeist. Satanic Warmaster I can’t find on Spotify and also not on Apple Music which makes me more and more angry, because I have to listen on youtube and can’t lock the screen on my phone or it will stop playing. 

I have written down all your suggestions and I will go through them. For me if I try listen to more than 2 artists I get stressed and jump from one to another and lose focus 😈