Finally signed up

SurgicalBrute

I guess I'm supposed to come here first and say hello

...so, hello

Not sure what all to say. I'm a late arrival from the Metal-fi board where most of these other recent trouble makers came from. Took me awhile to finally sign up, just because I got busy with life and kind of forgot everyone else said they were migrating over here, but when Whitenoise, or whatever the hell he's calling himself now, made a recent mention of the place, thought I'd come finally check it out.

My tastes tend to run more to the underground and extreme side of things. Wasn't really a conscious thing, just kind of fell in that direction, so when i pop up it will probably be posting some kind of rough sounding death or black metal band. Doesn't mean I'll turn my nose up at a good traditional band though, or even some cheesy sounding power metal if I'm in the right mood. I even like a little doom or grind on occasion.

I can be kind of quite on a board, depending on what's being discussed or how busy I am with other shit, but I usually pop into whatever forum I'm on fairly frequently, even if it';s just to lurk around like a creeper.

Other than that, there isn't a whole lot to say. I'm sure you'll get a feel for my personality pretty quick, and If I screw something up by posting in the wrong section, just let me know

6 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Mark...good to see you man

Father A...I'll try not to crap up your forum too much

No way for that to happen. You exercise the rare gift of restraint. WN was the first one here and the rest of us are relative newcomers anyway. You know I like to follow what you're listening to and posting as your contributions are never generic and usually find them to be compelling listens often ending up in my collection. As TG would say, Crack on!

No, actually Johnny-5 (JohanV) was the first one of us M-Fiers to sign up here. Then he came back and told the rest of us metalforum could be our next destination. So then I made an account and it seemed legit so I figured since he had done the leg work it'd be easiest to just go with that and spread the word, because I didn't know how long we would have til Alex would shut us down. Figured we had nothing to lose and could at least give it a shot, because then if it sucked we could always keep looking for a new home, but at least we'd be able to get in touch with everyone.

As it turned out I believe this forum is clearly better than M-Fi with the lone exception of not being able to embed Bandcamp links. Which is something I'd like to request, but it's really not that important and since I'm already enough of a loudmouth troublemaker at times I wouldn't want to push my luck. This place isn't perfect, the site navigation and thread grouping is far from intuitive and the moderation does seem a wee bit heavy handed at times compared to what we're used to (which was minimal at best because Jay was such a cool cat) but I've been trying to get with the program and toe the line.

The bottom line is I'm just happy to have a place like this to hang out, the Activity tab makes this place very usable for me. I do already have a circle of 10-12 metalhead friends spread out across America that Surge and I are both a part of that we interact with daily via group text message (along with good ole BAN who was a former mod here but left before we arrived, and ironically he has turned off his notifications and essentially dropped out of our little text group last year now as well because he said the pressure of feeling like he had to keep up with all our hundreds of texts every day was wearing on him) there's someone posting something almost round the clock. And I am glad to have those guys as friends, but personally I just really prefer the forum format over text. And this is a pretty good forum.

I've tried to get some of those dudes to sign up here, keep telling them they have nothing to lose because it's not like it costs anything, but I have received less than enthusiastic responses. Some of them stubborn bastards have very specific musical tastes which run the gamut and I think they're worried that they won't have anything in common or much to talk about with anyone here. Which annoys me because I figure the more different perspectives you can bring to a forum the better it'll be. I think some of them would be willing to join a forum if it were just gonna be us 12. But I much prefer having outsiders to interact with, love to see new people join up, the same 12 guys posting pretty much the same shit year in and year out for over a decade now gets stale.

Don't get me wrong I love those guys, I've met all of them but one in person, been to many of their homes and I've met their families. We went from forum friends to real life friends. But I find myself posting with them on the text thread less and less because as time goes by I find that I really don't care about and don't have much to add to most of the music discussion that goes on there. I feel like the odd man out much of the time because they think my narrow-minded obsession with the current year's black metal is stupid (which I can totally understand) while I think their obsession with 90's vintage death metal of the Floridan variety, other vintage types of metal and various forms of prog is boring. I've grown tired of being seen as the cranky old man who seemingly hates everything they like. I suppose maybe some people find it confusing when everyone in their little group doesn't like all the same shit that they do? But I do enjoy the comraderie so I jump in and contribute more these days when they're talking about other stuff besides metal. So thank fuck I have this forum.

Alright what was the question again? I think I've lost my train of thought here, don't remember what the fuck I was even talking about when I started typing this so I'll just say one more time that I'm glad Surge has joined us here and leave it at that. 

When I am off on a tangent but I tell the person I am talking to that where I am going does relate to the point I will be making, people I don't know well often politely seem interested - my family just roll their eyes. I am no longer allowed to praise apricots...that is a very long story best heard, or ignored, in person.

Anyway, the point is I got what you were getting at GG. I think.

Is that what happened with the bearded wookie from Utah? That sucks to hear, I miss that dude, though I understand it to a degree too. I just decided that if Beirne wants to spam the thread with a 100 texts about getting another goddamn Macabre vinyl in the mail or if Ric wants to send 50 texts to himself at 4 in the morning...whatever, that's why my phone has a silent mode. I won't lie though, there is only so much Florida death metal/Dim Mak/Cannibal Corpse talk I can handle myself before I just full-on start ignoring the conversation...

...but thanks everyone for the warm reception.

9 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

As it turned out I believe this forum is clearly better than M-Fi with the lone exception of not being able to embed Bandcamp links. Which is something I'd like to request,...This place isn't perfect, the site navigation and thread grouping is far from intuitive and the moderation does seem a wee bit heavy handed at times compared to what we're used to (which was minimal at best because Jay was such a cool cat) ...

I think it is fair to say that our development roadmap is non-existent.  Tait keeps the plugs in the right sockets in the background and turns the power back on when the fuses trip but he just doesn't have a lot of time to invest in the site in all honesty.  Likelihood is that Bandcamp links won't be a thing at any point.

Always interested to hear ways the forum / moderation could be improved though so keep the feedback coming.