Listmania 2021

navybsn

First thing that caught my eye was I did not know that Hell's Coronation had a new one out this year. That's awesome news, I love those guys. Really glad you found time to make a list for us Hungarooni, I know that damn US Govt is working you to death. I'm also in love with that Satanism release, nice to see I'm not the only one, Marky Mark damn near ripped me a new one for posting that shit! Several things on there I already have, a bunch of other shit there that looks vaguely familiar, and quite a bit that's new to me, so now I can have some fun checking out all these demos and EP's which are often some of the best things I hear each year.   ☠️ 🤘🐐🤘☠️

9 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

First thing that caught my eye was I did not know that Hell's Coronation had a new one out this year. That's awesome news, I love those guys. Really glad you found time to make a list for us Hungarooni, I know that damn US Govt is working you to death. I'm also in love with that Satanism release, nice to see I'm not the only one, Marky Mark damn near ripped me a new one for posting that shit! Several things on there I already have, a bunch of other shit there that looks vaguely familiar, and quite a bit that's new to me, so now I can have some fun checking out all these demos and EP's which are often some of the best things I hear each year.   ☠️ 🤘🐐🤘☠️

Thanks General, it has been a crazy year, which is true for everyone I suppose. I definitely found more good EPs than usual this year, not sure if full lengths were just missed or bands are putting out more EPs, but they are easy to digest and I have no problem with shorter listening experiences. I also seemed to constantly be finding blackened death/thrash variations, which is great, but have a bad handle on the trve kvlt black metal landscape, so as usual I will be waiting on your list to get some ideas. I also need to practice embedding the images for album covers in my threads. Gotta see the art!

Dude it's easier than ever over here, you don't even have to get a link and embed it or anything all you have to do is literally find the image you want, right click on it, click copy image, and then paste it right into your post wherever you want, no stupid url's to mess with. There, I just right clicked on your avatar and pasted him right into my post. I've actually been meaning to ask you for the longest, who the fuck is that anyway? I don't have any built in corpsepaint recognition software.

Hungarino

I've given up separating full lengths from EP's. With so many goat metal releases landing in the 20 to 30 minute range these days it seems kinda silly to differentiate between them and penalize some albums by calling them just EP's when there are plenty of full lengths just a few minutes longer. Unless you come across one of those 2 track 11 minute jobbies and then yeah, that doesn't seem like a full length. 

Oh man, I feel foolish. Let me try:

QRIXKUOR.jpg.ac9af89c675d99e10c3a66783b565875.jpg

Yup, pretty darn easy. I need to go edit my post just for fun now.

The pic is me in my annual Halloween get up. I need a wig and more detail on the corpse paint. It is really fun though, I always rock out and act generally ridiculous. I have some more good pics, since I can post them now, I will!

3 hours ago, Hungarino said:

Full-Lengths

And the list of Hungar-0-awesomeness ensues.

My man! Good to see you. You and the GG always upend the beginning of the new year with bestial homework, and if you have to do homework, it might as well be laced with Satanic fury. Who will be my Profane Order of 2021....time will tell but Hangarino will summon it from the dark depths of hell. 

26 minutes ago, markm said:

My man! Good to see you. You and the GG always upend the beginning of the new year with bestial homework, and if you have to do homework, it might as well be laced with Satanic fury. Who will be my Profane Order of 2021....time will tell but Hangarino will summon it from the dark depths of hell. 

Haha thanks Mark Happy New Year to you! Can you kayak in the winter? Sounds like a cold proposition! I have another buddy Josh Tracy who is also from VA and big into river kayaking. Who knows maybe you have crossed paths?

As far as the lists go I debated the Outre-Tombe and Hooded Menace, but who knows why I left them off. And I recognize some more and will check out the black metal list specifically. You definitely have a good representation of darker stuff - you keep moving in the direction of the infernal order of the goats. Maybe you are the goat herder? 

Man I recognize almost none of @Hungarino picks. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing! I do like that you gave some love to SexMag though! Those guys really channel the sleazy vibe of 80's eastern europe black/thrash. Have you heard Hexenbrett of the same label (Dying Victims)?

Hexenbrett - Intermezzo dei quattro coltelli nudi

@Hungarino hails brother goat! Thanks for the list dude. Lots to check out and evaluate. I don't even recognize half of those releases. That's the thing I love about list season. Finding out about all of the things I missed along the way. I know many don't get much from these lists, but I certainly do. I think it comes down to "knowing" you guys for a while and knowing who's tastes align with my own. I can look at the M-Fi crew's lists and can figure out things I will enjoy. I'm learning the regulars here fairly quickly too and starting to see when I should pay attention to certain recommendations. I don't get much out of the blog list on various sites, but guys like Neil Jameson, our old buddy Surge, and a few others always come through with some excellent gems. 

Anyway, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post. I hope folks are finding this thread enjoyable. Even if you're not trying to run down any of these releases, maybe reading along is somewhat entertaining.

BTW - I just found out about that Desaster on NYE. It is indeed excellent.

11 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

First thing that caught my eye was I did not know that Hell's Coronation had a new one out this year. That's awesome news, I love those guys. Really glad you found time to make a list for us Hungarooni, I know that damn US Govt is working you to death. I'm also in love with that Satanism release, nice to see I'm not the only one, Marky Mark damn near ripped me a new one for posting that shit! 

Nah, I just didn't think it was very good LOL-and you know I have to give you shit for spending hours on the net for that one piece of black gold and I'm expecting, what I don't know?---goat-bsetial-war metal je ne sais quoi I guess. And they are out there! Then again, you'd no doubt hate Amenra's De Doorn (post doom/atmo-sludge) Imma bout to pick up. I see however Satanism is on Surgical Brute's list last night on  NCS. With Hungus, it becomes a triumvirate and my mockery is humbled as being incorrect. It must rule but I lack the abilities of war metal discernment. 

So this doesn't completely devolve into an inside conversation, the gentleman who posts as Surgical Brute and GG are good mates and he used to post at Metal-Fi. The GG kindly initiated me, "the casual" into Maryland Death Fest where I met said Brute whose a very unbrootish nice dude, of course. MDF was awesome. 

9 hours ago, Hungarino said:

Haha thanks Mark Happy New Year to you! Can you kayak in the winter? Sounds like a cold proposition! I have another buddy Josh Tracy who is also from VA and big into river kayaking. Who knows maybe you have crossed paths?

As far as the lists go I debated the Outre-Tombe and Hooded Menace, but who knows why I left them off. And I recognize some more and will check out the black metal list specifically. You definitely have a good representation of darker stuff - you keep moving in the direction of the infernal order of the goats. Maybe you are the goat herder? 

Yeah, thanks for asking man. Are you surfing much these days? With What'sApp I'm able to connect with a broad section of paddlers like never before and I have the cold water gear. I can get to some fun but safe spots on the Potomac here in D.C. easily. My cut off is about 40 degrees if it's not too windy.  It's been insanely warm-eerily so in the MId-Atlantic with many 50-60+ days, so I'm getting out about once a week.

I still need to pick up that Outre Tombe-it's time I give them some money.

2 hours ago, navybsn said:

@Hungarino hails brother goat! Thanks for the list dude. Lots to check out and evaluate. I don't even recognize half of those releases. That's the thing I love about list season. Finding out about all of the things I missed along the way. I know many don't get much from these lists, but I certainly do. I think it comes down to "knowing" you guys for a while and knowing who's tastes align with my own. I can look at the M-Fi crew's lists and can figure out things I will enjoy. I'm learning the regulars here fairly quickly too and starting to see when I should pay attention to certain recommendations. I don't get much out of the blog list on various sites, but guys like Neil Jameson, our old buddy Surge, and a few others always come through with some excellent gems. 

Anyway, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post. I hope folks are finding this thread enjoyable. Even if you're not trying to run down any of these releases, maybe reading along is somewhat entertaining.

BTW - I just found out about that Desaster on NYE. It is indeed excellent.

Thanks Navy I realize putting so many is a cop out. Another year, another promise to cull it down next time to like 20-25. But I reached the point where I just had to post it and move on with my life!

I will typically take January into March to peruse everyone's lists so apologies for not shouting out the other stand outs yet! 

6 hours ago, Sheol said:

Man I recognize almost none of @Hungarino picks. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing! I do like that you gave some love to SexMag though! Those guys really channel the sleazy vibe of 80's eastern europe black/thrash. Have you heard Hexenbrett of the same label (Dying Victims)?

Hexenbrett - Intermezzo dei quattro coltelli nudi

Cheers mate yeah the SexMag was new to me and honestly haven't heard much like that recently. Rocking this Hexenbrett now and its fun and definitely sleazy! I could definitely explore this vibe more.

1 hour ago, markm said:

Nah, I just didn't think it was very good LOL-and you know I have to give you shit for spending hours on the net for that one piece of black gold and I'm expecting, what I don't know?---goat-bsetial-war metal je ne sais quoi I guess. And they are out there! Then again, you'd no doubt hate Amenra's De Doorn (post doom/atmo-sludge) Imma bout to pick up. I see however Satanism is on Surgical Brute's list last night on  NCS. With Hungus, it becomes a triumvirate and my mockery is humbled as being incorrect. It must rule but I lack the abilities of war metal discernment. 

So this doesn't completely devolve into an inside conversation, the gentleman who posts as Surgical Brute and GG are good mates and he used to post at Metal-Fi. The GG kindly initiated me, "the casual" into Maryland Death Fest where I met said Brute whose a very unbrootish nice dude, of course. MDF was awesome. 

Yeah, thanks for asking man. Are you surfing much these days? With What'sApp I'm able to connect with a broad section of paddlers like never before and I have the cold water gear. I can get to some fun but safe spots on the Potomac here in D.C. easily. My cut off is about 40 degrees if it's not too windy.  It's been insanely warm-eerily so in the MId-Atlantic with many 50-60+ days, so I'm getting out about once a week.

I still need to pick up that Outre Tombe-it's time I give them some money.

Water temp of 40?? Or Air temp? 40 degree water would be waaaay to cold for me. At about 50 I tap out. In the winters I wear hooded 4mm and can always add booties or even gloves, but it starts to be more about survival than fun at some point. Surf in the winter here is definitely part of the program, but I do not like any coldness and am often tempted to migrate to warmer climes. 

52 minutes ago, Hungarino said:

Water temp of 40?? Or Air temp? 40 degree water would be waaaay to cold for me. At about 50 I tap out. In the winters I wear hooded 4mm and can always add booties or even gloves, but it starts to be more about survival than fun at some point. Surf in the winter here is definitely part of the program, but I do not like any coldness and am often tempted to migrate to warmer climes. 

Air temps 40 and above, but I'm a cold wimp, so I'd much rather wait until the mid upper 50's. Water temps around 40 now which is pretty darn cold. 

55 minutes ago, markm said:

Nah, I just didn't think it was very good LOL-and you know I have to give you shit for spending hours on the net for that one piece of black gold and I'm expecting, what I don't know?---goat-bestial-war metal je ne sais quoi I guess. And they are out there! Then again, you'd no doubt hate Amenra's De Doorn (post doom/atmo-sludge) Imma bout to pick up. I see however Satanism is on Surgical Brute's list last night on  NCS. With Hungus, it becomes a triumvirate and my mockery is humbled as being incorrect. It must rule but I lack the abilities of war metal discernment. 

Funny, I had just finished posting a link to Surge's NCS list on the notable lists thread when I opened this page and saw your post. I too noticed that he had the Satanism EP on his list, I'm thinking he probably got it from me cuz I had posted the youtube vid of it on our text thread for the guys as well that day after I'd posted it here. I know you don't particularly care for it and that's totally fine my friend, I have learned never to expect the rest of the world to appreciate my music, and to be pleasantly surprised when I get any kind of positive response. I was really just joking around with that "Marky Mark ripped me a new one" comment I made to Hungaloogie hoping you'd see it. I'm a shit stirrer but i hope you know by now never to take me literally.

Ironically, I don't actually have Satanism on my list right this minute but that's only because their records were so short, the one EP is 11 minutes and the other is just over 13. But since I haven't posted my black metal list yet it has just occurred to me that if I were to combine the two EP's into one single entry on my list, the 8 songs total 24:26 and in my book that's close enough to be considered a full length. I'll just treat them like they're side 1 & side 2, I always play them together as a unit anyway.

Regarding Amenra - De Doorn, what can I say? Have it playing now and even though I keep getting interrupted by phone calls and texts I'm 38 minutes in now, 8 to go. It's not like it's bad or horrible or grating or offensive or anything like that and I guess as background noise this could be tolerable but as actual music it's just sooooo fucking boring. I keep waiting for it to do something, but it's not doing anything. I like music that does something more than just a shriek or two every ten minutes. Give me riffs, give me a back beat, give me crunchy guitar tones, give me aggression, give me a wall of sound, get my blood pumping and my head bobbing a little. This is why I've all but completely given up on funeral doom, and all that post stuff, it's just too slow moving, quiet and boring for me. I just don't have the patience for these types of subtle quiet mellow sounds that last more than a few seconds. I apparently have adult ADHD so my brain requires more intense stimulation I guess. But I realize some other people really like this kind of long slow drawn out mellow boring stuff so I say have at it, knock yourselves out.

Record just finished now, I've made it to the end. Now I can put on something good like I dunno, maybe some black metal. It was 16°F at 8am this morning, it's all the way up to 30°F now at 12:30, but I don't think it's going much higher today and I need something to warm me up. Pellet stove is going full blast 15 feet away from me but without any insulation the heat just gets lost on the way here. Here I have a free day to work on my black metal list but it's 49° here at my computer desk and I can't feel my feet. We were scheduled to have our framing inspection today but the inspector called in sick. So now we have to push the insulation guys we had scheduled for tomorrow back indefinitely as well as the sheetrockers that were going to come Friday because we have no way of knowing how long the inspecdtor might be out sick. Fuck! I was really counting on finally having insulation tomorrow so we can be warm. But it's out of our control, nothing we can do about it now.  In other news the carpet guy stopped by to measure upstairs, saw my Afterbirth hoodie and we got to talking. Turned out he's a metalhead, claims he used to be in some band back in the 90's with Billy Milano on bass. We started talking about the NY metal club scene back in the day and all the bands we've seen. I mentioned Overkill and he said he did the carpet at Bobby Blitz's house, who apparently lives just about 12 minutes away from me over here in Pleasant Valley Lakes. Small fucking world.

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

It was 16°F at 8am this morning, it's all the way up to 30°F now at 12:30

Lol, damn only -1°C? Man, I'd happily be outside in a long sleeve T having a BBQ and playing fetch with the dog If I were you. It's a frigid -31 where I'm at and going down to -40 tonight. Fuck January.

1 hour ago, zackflag said:

Lol, damn only -1°C? Man, I'd happily be outside in a long sleeve T having a BBQ and playing fetch with the dog If I were you. It's a frigid -31 where I'm at and going down to -40 tonight. Fuck January.

Hahaha yeah well more power to you brother Zack and I hope you have reliable heat where you are. But fuck that noise! At - 10°F I'd probably throw my shit into the nearest hefty bag and just drive south til the flat spots on my tires popped back out.

I have found though that somehow the cold just feels different to you when you're outside from when you're inside. When you go outside in the wintertime you have an expectation that it will be cold and your body is somehow ready for it. When you're inside your house you have an expectation of warmth, and when the indoor temp falls below about 12°C (53°F) and you're just sitting around being inactive what will happen is that after awhile your feet and hands will start to feel cold as ice. Even if you're bundled up. When you run your hands under hot water it stings. I've never minded the cold too much generally speaking because it's rare that it will fall below about 5°F (-15°C) here and I do actually prefer winter to summer. It's the heat & humidity I can't take. But I also prefer when the indoor temps stay above 60°F (15.5°C) especially for the kid's sake. When I went in the bathroom to take a shower this morning it was 44°F in there (6.66°C) and I was alright while I had the warm water spraying on me but it was not pleasant when I turned the water off, even though the steam from my shower had raised the room temp up to 47°. So it wasn't so much the 16° outside that I minded, but the 44° inside.

Most people at parties: If you stab a man in winter, steam will rise up  from the wounds. - )

6 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Funny, I had just finished posting a link to Surge's NCS list on the notable lists thread when I opened this page and saw your post. I too noticed that he had the Satanism EP on his list, I'm thinking he probably got it from me cuz I had posted the youtube vid of it on our text thread for the guys as well that day after I'd posted it here. I know you don't particularly care for it and that's totally fine my friend, I have learned never to expect the rest of the world to appreciate my music, and to be pleasantly surprised when I get any kind of positive response. I was really just joking around with that "Marky Mark ripped me a new one" comment I made to Hungaloogie hoping you'd see it. I'm a shit stirrer but i hope you know by now never to take me literally.

Ironically, I don't actually have Satanism on my list right this minute but that's only because their records were so short, the one EP is 11 minutes and the other is just over 13. But since I haven't posted my black metal list yet it has just occurred to me that if I were to combine the two EP's into one single entry on my list, the 8 songs total 24:26 and in my book that's close enough to be considered a full length. I'll just treat them like they're side 1 & side 2, I always play them together as a unit anyway.

Regarding Amenra - De Doorn, what can I say? Have it playing now and even though I keep getting interrupted by phone calls and texts I'm 38 minutes in now, 8 to go. It's not like it's bad or horrible or grating or offensive or anything like that and I guess as background noise this could be tolerable but as actual music it's just sooooo fucking boring. I keep waiting for it to do something, but it's not doing anything. I like music that does something more than just a shriek or two every ten minutes. Give me riffs, give me a back beat, give me crunchy guitar tones, give me aggression, give me a wall of sound, get my blood pumping and my head bobbing a little. This is why I've all but completely given up on funeral doom, and all that post stuff, it's just too slow moving, quiet and boring for me. I just don't have the patience for these types of subtle quiet mellow sounds that last more than a few seconds. I apparently have adult ADHD so my brain requires more intense stimulation I guess. But I realize some other people really like this kind of long slow drawn out mellow boring stuff so I say have at it, knock yourselves out.

Record just finished now, I've made it to the end. Now I can put on something good like I dunno, maybe some black metal. It was 16°F at 8am this morning, it's all the way up to 30°F now at 12:30, but I don't think it's going much higher today and I need something to warm me up. Pellet stove is going full blast 15 feet away from me but without any insulation the heat just gets lost on the way here. Here I have a free day to work on my black metal list but it's 49° here at my computer desk and I can't feel my feet. We were scheduled to have our framing inspection today but the inspector called in sick. So now we have to push the insulation guys we had scheduled for tomorrow back indefinitely as well as the sheetrockers that were going to come Friday because we have no way of knowing how long the inspecdtor might be out sick. Fuck! I was really counting on finally having insulation tomorrow so we can be warm. But it's out of our control, nothing we can do about it now.  In other news the carpet guy stopped by to measure upstairs, saw my Afterbirth hoodie and we got to talking. Turned out he's a metalhead, claims he used to be in some band back in the 90's with Billy Milano on bass. We started talking about the NY metal club scene back in the day and all the bands we've seen. I mentioned Overkill and he said he did the carpet at Bobby Blitz's house, who apparently lives just about 12 minutes away from me over here in Pleasant Valley Lakes. Small fucking world.

Hey man, kudos for giving it a shot. I think we both know each other pretty well by now even thought mostly online and respect we're wired quite differently. All good and hope you get the insolation resolved. I'll be checking some of your recos. And yeah, Satanism isn't all that bad. I was mostly-what do the Ausies say-taking the piss out or whateves. 

On 1/4/2022 at 12:49 PM, Hungarino said:

QRIXKUOR - Poison Palinopsia (Avant/DM – UK) ***** I just want Thatguy to think I am worthy with this one because it might just be weird enough for him. This is immersive, challenging, dark, heavy af and brilliant. I am so glad this exists and it is truly superlative avant garde black death abyss worship.

Fuck me, I missed this. Yep, you are probably worthy just for bringing this to my attention - and the rest of your lists are awesome. Crack on.

• 2 weeks later...

As usual, I grab way more albums at the end of the year/January of next and end up with 50-60 albums especially with non metal stuff and not even touching jazz and classical. I've lived with them long enough to separate the men from the boys and think I can rank them pretty well. Now's the fun part-they go into my 2021 playlist and that's what I'll be listening to for quite a while. 

• 2 weeks later...