Upcoming Albums/New Releases, 2022 Edition

Dead1

Golgothan Remains - new full-length "Adorned In Ruin" coming out on April 1st. Somewhat riffy, headbangable blackened dissodeath. The promo track isn't really grabbing me right now, but I remember liking "Perverse Offerings To The Void"... looking forward to at least hearing what they've been up to.

https://golgothanremains.bandcamp.com/

Huh, I actually quite liked that Golgothan Remains track. Sounds like what I was hoping last year's Suffering Hour album would be.

Non Est Deus - Impious (Melodic BM, Germany)

Project from the guy behind Kanonenfieber, an album that everyone and their dog went crazy over last year. This one's more straight forward melodic bm. Fairly polished and modern sounding but still pretty good.

Downcross - Hexapoda Triumph (Black Metal, Belarus)

Fourth album in three years from these guys. Pretty consistent band in terms of quality, but I've always put them in the "pretty good, but not great" category. That might change with this new full length though, this is very impressive and certainly the best thing they've done thus far.

Deathspell Omega just announced a new full-length called "The Long Defeat" for release next week. They're saying it's "the first emanation of the third era" of DSO... whatever that means. I liked the second era. Don't know if I'm ready for a whole new era. Guess I'll find out next week.

https://deathspellomega.bandcamp.com/album/the-long-defeat

Literally just came here to post that Blut Aus Nord album. Sounds like they've gone back into the Avant-garde/industrial spectrum with this new one. I heard some mutterings throughout the web that their next album would be Memoria Vetusta pt. IV, which of course had me very excited. New track is very cool though and still an instant pre-order for me.

40 minutes ago, zackflag said:

Literally just came here to post that Blut Aus Nord album. Sounds like they've gone back into the Avant-garde/industrial spectrum with this new one. I heard some mutterings throughout the web that their next album would be Memoria Vetusta pt. IV, which of course had me very excited. New track is very cool though and still an instant pre-order for me.

I'm really looking forward to hearing the album in full. Interested to hear if there's some kind of arc to it, or the sort of variety they had on the 777 albums. I like the choral vocals in this context and I want to hear even more of them. Digging that sharp industrial-esque drum sound too. But man, a worthy MV4 would be a real event.

8 hours ago, zackflag said:

Deathspell Omega - The Long Defeat

New DsO album for the people who care about such things. There's gotta be at least one person on this forum who does...

This really feels like a whole new phase for DsO, just like they promised. The music is a lot less confusing, and more streamlined. Dare I even say catchy at times? The production is very crisp, with great bass guitar. And I do believe there's at least two vocalists, one is def. Arioch/Mortuus, and on the last track I think it's M from MGLA. No idea if Aspa is still around, since I can't remember what he sounds like. But Rostén is such a unique vocalist I could pick him out immediatly.

Call me poser, but I think this is one of my favourite DsO albums based just on the immediacy of it. Time will tell if it will hold up as well as Si, or Fas.

I'm looking forward to conjurer's nuclear blast debut album. They got alot of coverage in kerrang and metal hammer mags UK for there debut the mire. Nearly every band hailed as best new UK band  I generally don't like but conjurer I do. It's exactly the sort of melancholy atmospheric metal I listen to all the time anyway which reminds me a bit of opeth at there best in places. It's also cool there a UK band and they hail not that far away from my hometown. The preview track on bandcamp I'm liking alot.

5 minutes ago, Hungarino said:

New one from Bloodrain is pretty good. Russian Black thrash. Much more on the thrasher side. Will post a link but its on BC. A little tipsy too open the CPU right now.

Bloodrain - Сон Длиною В Жизнь-☠(TRACK PREMIERE 2022)☠

Bloodrain - Цепи Религии

Even going by just these two tracks I'd say this is mandatory. NYP to boot, you can't go wrong.

Thrash til Death!!  🤘☠️🤘

• 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies