Upcoming Albums/New Releases, 2022 Edition

Dead1

4 hours ago, Dead1 said:

The Halo Effect - Shadowmind

Out 2022 on Nuclear Blast.

Features a ton of ex-In Flames guys including Michael Stanne and Jesper Stromblad- sounds like less fuzzy Dark Tranquillity. 

This was a lot better than anticipated. Mainly because current In Flames is garbage. I just have two objections; 1) Stanne isn't that great a growler, he's much better clean singer. Daniel Svensson should've done the growls. 2) More melodies please, preferably twin harmonies.

It's just so incredibly commercial and watered down. And yes bland. I find it very hard to believe sometimes that I was such a big Dark Tranquility fan in the 2000's up til 2007. Although this particular song was much blander and unmemorable than early/mid 2000's DT. This is why I rarely find much to like on major labels anymore. Not because only the most obscure kvlt bands will do but because commercially viable music is just so completely devoid of substance, like empty calories. The whole time I'm thinking I could be listening to something good right now.

Cult of Luna - The Long Road North

Out February 11.

New track here.

An interactive video and computer game(?) is scheduled to drop tonight here:

My first impression is that this sounds a hell of a lot more engaging than A dwarf to fear, closer to the mood of The Raging River. Love the Hans Zimmer horns in the beginning and the groovy drums.

On 11/15/2021 at 10:36 PM, Dead1 said:

The Halo Effect - Shadowmind

Out 2022 on Nuclear Blast.

Features a ton of ex-In Flames guys including Michael Stanne and Jesper Stromblad- sounds like less fuzzy Dark Tranquillity. 

Sounds ok to me, not that great in my opinion. I believe it's like a "comfort zone" for all those well-known musicians: nothing to improve, but nuthin' to lose. Guess the videoclip is fine.

My two cents: for people who like Avant-garde Black Metal with a classy touch, Pensées Nocturnes announced their new album "Douce Fange", out January 21st 2022. What can I say? I love bands who take some risks.

PN.jpg.c86f8c0cc61ef249930a0981b77c2408.jpg

14 hours ago, Dead1 said:

I am disappointed I missed Author and Punisher play here in Tassie a couple of years ago.  Would have been an interesting experience.

That song is boring though.

Never had a cruller - looks delicious!

Yeah, that song was not his best, but my god the video was gorgeous. I especially liked the allusion to William Blake's Red Dragon at 6:16

Immolation - Acts of God

New song from the upcoming new album and it crushes, as expected. No release date yet from what I can find but I imagine that'll get announced very soon.

Definitely sounds like modern Immolation and follows the path of their last handful of albums. I think it's fantastic and couldn't be more excited for the album. 

EDIT: Release date is Feb 18. Here's the bandcamp link if you care about that sort of thing

https://immolation.bandcamp.com/album/acts-of-god

7 hours ago, zackflag said:

Immolation - Acts of God

New song from the upcoming new album and it crushes, as expected. No release date yet from what I can find but I imagine that'll get announced very soon.

Definitely sounds like modern Immolation and follows the path of their last handful of album. I think it's fantastic and couldn't be more excited for the album. 

Ditto. I think this is the song I heard them play live a few months ago. Immolation never disappoints.

I think Overkill's building days are over. Now that they're in their 60's and have learned how to go through the motions and churn out records in DD's home studio they're just trying to hang on and stay relevant enough to sell a few records and play a couple of gigs to keep the lights on, food on the table and gas in the Harley. I know Bobby's wife has a chocolate shop over here in Nanuet NY. Don't know how successful it is, but I guess he could always learn to be a chocolatier if the thrash band thing doesn't work out. I think I remember him saying in an interview one time that he had a side business, that he imports stuff and sells it. He didn't say what kind of stuff though so naturally the mind comes up with all kinds of interesting possibilities. Could be electronics or some kind of food or consumables or maybr sex toys, cigars, men's skin care products or beard oil...who fucking knows?

Overkill haven't built much for about 30 years, that's why they are still popular. Their fan base isn't looking for something earth shattering, they are looking for another Overkill album.

When you've been in the business that long it doesn't take as much to keep the lights on so making a quadruple platinum album doesn't really matter. Overkill haven't strayed far from the idea of release, tour, rest, write, release tour rest, write for years and it works well for them. Look at bands like Anthrax. They've had a new album coming out since 2018, they've dodged questions about it, they've avoided it, the pandemic gave them excuse after excuse not to do it, now they claim they'll have something next year, but it's not written yet and the fans they managed to keep are getting sick of them.

Unlike Anthrax who only want to play mid-list on festival gigs with bigger bands Overkill will get out there if they can and play to their fans. They might only be small gigs but Overkill have continually taken their music to the fans over the years. So their new albums might not be breaking any ground but they don't have to. It will be a first day buyer for me no matter when it's released. (that's if they let us poor Aussies have it, Exodus's latest album was still not available here in psychical formats last I checked)

I really like Overkill, based on total lifetime hours listened I would certainly have to name them as one of my top 10 all time favorite metal bands, maybe top 5. Obviously my musical tatses have swung quite a bit towards filthy punky black metal these last 15-20 years, but still I genuinely enjoyed pretty much all of their releases throughout the 80's, 90's and into the early 2000's. Killbox 13 was their last great album imo and then RelixIV was meh and then they completely shit the bed with the awful Immortalis in '07.  I haven't bothered more than a quick youtube peek at anything they've done since the hugely (to me) dissapointing Ironbound in 2010. They saw that they'd struck a nerve with fans when they picked up the tempo and started playing fast again even though on balance the songs weren't very good. They got such a good response to Ironbound that they've now made that their 'formula' and are dead set on riding this wave of renewed interest as long as they can. I don't really resent or blame them for this course they've chosen and who knows maybe I'd do the same thing if I were them. We all have bills to pay. But as one of the O.G. NY Kill fans from the early 80's I am well past the point of caring about any new Kill albums. I already have more than enough of their old records to keep me happy if and when the urge to "donate" arises. Not gonna bother checking out the new Exodus effort either and Slayer's run ended for me in 1990 full stop - and even that very popular record was just so-so. I guess being the grey-haired ancient decrepit geezer that I am, that whole 80's thrash thing almost seems like it happened in another lifetime or something. But as always it goes without saying, to each his own. No offense meant to you or JimmyT or any other White Devil Armory, Grinding Wheel or Ironbound fans who might be lurking out there. You do you as the Zoomers like to say.

I was probably at this show.

Never really got into Overkill or Exodus. The one Overkill album I have is one of those meh 2000's efforts. I bought it to see why people liked them and decided that they were not for me. Still have it somewhere but not really interested in digging it out. Same for Exodus. I have Bonded by Blood and it's ok, but I think I was too late to that party. They are fun live. My thrash days were the big 4 plus Testament, Suicidal, Sepultura, Sacred Reich, Destruction, DRI, Coroner, Demolition Hammer, Kreator, Sodom, Flotsam, Forbidden, and maybe a few others I'm forgetting. Exodus and Overkill weren't very popular down here with my friends in the sticks. May have something to do with the Florida Death Metal scene blowing up around the time we got old enough to spend money on multiple records and take more chances.

Slayer - full stop at Seasons although that cover album they did was entertaining.