How it is to quit from metal?

Electromecanichal_machine

Question

22 answers to this question

There's a huge sense of drama to the is thread that points to some underlying problems.  I mean if you have stepped away from metal and your friends have turned away from you then it strikes me that they weren't good friends in the first place.  Taken at face value your posts suggest you were sick of your life given the theatre around the language you used (guessing English isn't your first language though so may appear more dramatic then you intend).

But it sounds like you're happy with your musical tastes now and you should never feel bad about evolving your listening habits.

This happenned to me many times, I used to love metal and encourage it's ways more than others, until one day I got sick of everything and everybody, friends who used to be called as that, left me on my way. I tryied many times to open my way as a vocalist and my projects vanished in quick sand no matter how i tried. Now they see me progress on other genres, as they saw me progress on metal, and they care a damn about me. And I'm not a bad vocalist, I find my voice intresting and capable of complex things, and I'm an even better song writter, I had a couple of lyrics in metal that were good.
I regret not have learnt to play  guitar on those days, it would surely have helped, however nowadays that I know to play a little guitar  and years passed I don't feel like listening to old school metal in any variation, or dressing as a headbanger,

I 've got decepted by the scene and the music went repetitive and senseless, I still enjoy of distortion and speed but not strictly metal, I find Igorrr for example far more original than many metal bands. Respecting to living as a headbanger, many things of metal marked me and I still think almost the same about society, and how to behave in life, it's just that I don't feel all the violence and anger any more.

I know how it is, I know how many of you would feel about me, I've been that side, I was able to register this site at last without googling. It's still difficult to talk about this and I don't do it openly where my old pals can identify me, I just get past by that and sometimes manifest my actual musical taste: country and world music, better if heavy sounding (too much to ask) but never ever I will listen to pop or music too quiet.

3 minutes ago, NokturnalBoredom said:

I've never really quit, just gone through periods where I listened to more hardcore, post-punk, or electronic music. I don't think I could actually quit metal if I wanted to. As Mr. Lahey (Trailer Park Boys) would say "I am the metal, rand"

I got permanently burnt out of metal. I could listen to hardcore, trouble is I got tired of rock music in general, just always the same roots. I'd wish that there would be a genre similar to rock with different roots, may be that tell more about my country's traditions, but it's what it is, the genre I like doesn't exist yet, thoiugh i sometimes listem to some folk metal, just not the viking stuff. One thing it's sure and I'm never listening to pop music.

3 hours ago, Electromecanichal_machine said:

know how it is, I know how many of you would feel about me

Truth be told, I really don't care what kind of music a person listens to. They can listen to mumble rap for all I care, caring about what music people enjoy is some 7th grade shit.

3 hours ago, Electromecanichal_machine said:

I got permanently burnt out of metal.

I occasionally go through periods where I don't listen to metal. My vinyl collection is widely varied. I have some stuff in there by country artists like Neko Case and Johnny Cash, some electronic stuff like Merx and Daft Punk, and a whole lot of punk, hardcore, and post-punk/gothic rock. I even have a little bit of hip-hop, I used to have more but I am burnt out on hip-hop for the most part. The only albums I have left in that genre are The Roots, Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, and The Sugarhill Gang. I used to have stuff by Wu-Tang, Common, Fugees, Notorious BIG, and KRS-One but I got burnt out on hip-hop much in the way that you got burnt out on metal when I quite smoking weed.

@NokturnalBoredom I also got injured my ears twice, once while doing crazy chemistry experiments at home (you dont ignite hidrogen and cloride together), and more recently on the mosh (the last one I've been like ten years from now), I fell to ground and my head hit my ear with a bottle I was holding, basic kids stuff that you forget when you are drunk (don't run with a bottle), may be that's a part of it, not enjoying high notes of metal as it used to be, but anyway I appreciate the basic structure of metal even withoput hearing eat, Goddamn one of the things i miss more is the mosh, I still like that I think and I was good at it.

I actually don't mosh anymore. I'm 35, way too old for that now and I don't even really go to shows anymore because there are never any good ones coming around the Tampa Bay area anymore. I also quit drinking like four years ago, so I don't have to worry about hurting myself when I am drunk (done that enough times in the past and broke some teeth doing it).

I don't listen to music that loud enough anymore but I think my hearing is already slightly damaged from the level I used to crank my car stereo to when I was younger. I wear a headset all day at work, so I always have people shouting right into my ear (I work fast food now, fell 16 feet off of a scaffold doing construction and can't really lift heavy objects anymore as a result). So I'm sure my hearing will go to shit eventually as a result.

I used to mosh quite a bit, but I went to a lot of hardcore and punk shows so it was mostly slamdancing rather than push-moshing or doing the shaolin monk routine. We all just sort of slammed around in a circle and bounced off of each other. I never got into push-moshing or pretending to be a ninja. But even when I did mosh, it wasn't an all the time thing, as I was way more interested in watching the bands play.

Can you really "quit"? I don't think it should be a rational decision. Personally, I just listen to whatever I want. Sometimes I do listen to more blues, jazz or classical or electro or whatever catches my ear, or peeks my interest, but metal is just more prevalent on my playlists and I keep returning to it even if I do stray for a while. There's stuff in metal that I'm emotionally attached to, and even if it gets boring to me, sooner or later I will want to relive the emotions some albums have imprinted on me. Also, metal is kind of the musical language that I understand the most when compared to other genres. I cannot quit it, it will always be a part of me.

On 11/18/2021 at 5:15 AM, PazaelSamuzu said:

Can you really "quit"? I don't think it should be a rational decision. Personally, I just listen to whatever I want. Sometimes I do listen to more blues, jazz or classical or electro or whatever catches my ear, or peeks my interest, but metal is just more prevalent on my playlists and I keep returning to it even if I do stray for a while.

Same here. I have a small collection of jazz and country records that I listen to at night when I am winding down (although some would argue that John Coltrane is not very good for winding down, but I disagree.) I have stuff like Neil Young, YES, Neko Case, and a lot of post-punk and goth stuff (Joy Division, the Cure, Siouxsie). But my primary collection of LPs and 7"s is metal, crust punk, and hardcore.

There's stuff in metal that I'm emotionally attached to

I'm emotionally attached to Nokturnal Mortum, Burzum, and Emperor. They remind me of a time when I had a lot more fun & actually had a social life. Now most of the time I'm either at work or sitting at home just listening to records. Lots of good times were had that those three bands provided a soundtrack for.

it will always be a part of me.

Same story here. The majority of LPs I have are metal LPs. It's just the music that provides the soundtrack to my life in the best way possible although like I mentioned, I do listen to other stuff.

Can't say I've quit metal before, but I've had "more" or "less" metal moments throughout months. I've been a metalhead for 25 years and I seriously doubt I'll stop listening completely to this genre. It's so damn good and addictive.

One aspect I truly enjoy from metal is its diversity and global transcendence. Metal has been reinvented and adapted countless times. Literally every country has at least one band, in a heap load of languages... yeah, I'm willing to believe even the freakin' South and North Pole has metal bands consisting of penguins, walruses, exiled souls, aliens and whatever creature lurks in there. That's how great this genre has become over the years.

Nowadays, I combine my regular metal playlist with any stuff that catches my ear: blues, rock, jazz, punk, "banda" music (very popular/traditional in my country), fusion/tropical (thanks, Cynic), Darkwave, EBM, Aggrotech, Industrial, folk, Dungeon Synth, Dark Ritual, classical, rap and so on.

I don't have pals who like metal as much as I do. I'm ok with that. Some of them can't stand Iron Maiden for more than five minutes, hahaha.   

I got into metal first half on the 80's, yes I'm old, it felt more like metal quit on me at the end of the 80's, so through the 90's and well into the 00's I really didn't listen much to metal. I know now there was some good metal during the 90's and 00's, this was pre internet though, at least for me, so I didn't have the opportunities we have now to look up other metal. I've always listened to other types of music though, so it wasn't a huge deal at the moment

When I started to listen to metal again it was mostly early 80's metal, I didn't really get properly back into metal until I heard Megadeths Dystopia in 2016 though, and from then I discovered both some old bands I didn't know of, other than their name perhaps, and some newer bands, and in my opinion metal is better than ever. I mostly listen to metal from the last decade now

I drifted away from metal in the 90's, never officially but my life wasn't set up to find new metal at that point after college and came back via the internet in the early 2000's starting with stoner, doom and post metal and moving on from there into various strains of extreme metal. 

Dissociative identity. Sometimes music is not immersive enough compared to a good tv show or specific video games that I have played repeatedly for years, listen to nothing for weeks. Sometimes country, Tom Waits, Cypress Hill/Eminem and a few Alternative bands, no metal at all. I don't understand that person that could listen to new metal releases, I currently have zero interest in checking out any new metal at all, just let me listen to all my favorite metal bands from years ago, plus the very few more recent ones from that other identity that was checking out new releases last year. 

I was deliberately becoming isolated but one friend followed me around, he hated Tom Waits, Country and Hip Hop, that was seriously all I could listen to for a long time, my last friend moved away. Back in the days of music shops I would be 100% convinced I would never listen to a bunch of records and cds ever again, wondering how the hell did I ever listen to that shit, trade them in for different music then later on that other personality would take over and the regret and loss was intense. 

When did you move down to Thames? I thought you lived way up by Kaitaia or Mangōnui or somewhere up there? Or was that your other identity?

I rode through the Coramandel when we took the bus from Auckland down to Tauranga and back 5 years ago. Pretty sure they stopped in Thames for 20 minutes to give us a chance to line up for wee and the option to walk across the road for some nasty fast food, which I of course declined. Was prettty looking out the window though. 

I too go through weeks where I'd just rather read a book or binge watch some tv series (last week was Colony) because I don't really feel like listening to too much metal. I might even choose to listen to some non-metal stuff for a few days now and then because we all get burnt out on shit sometimes, but fortunately it's never gotten to the point where I felt the need to disavow metal and start listening to hip-hop or country music or anything crazy like that. Not that I'm saying you're crazy for listening to that stuff or that you shouldn't listen to it or anything Luxi. It would be pretty crazy for me though.

I left Kaitaia for Thames 18 months ago to look after my grandparents who have dementia, they want to go on long drives every day, I take them twice a week, very bored with beautiful scenery and driving. I like boredom though, boredom is better than stress or expectations that can only result is disappointment.  

All problems solved. 

Understanding that life offers nothing. Only children find new and interesting things. Adults have seen, done and heard everything, there is no novelty left. Of course metal would turn out to be boring. 

Expecting to enjoy anything is the mistake. Expect everything to be boring, expect to be bored, expect nothing, then be pleasantly surprised that actually I am enjoying these sounds. 

Other than fresh black coffee, I don't use drugs any more. I am not in an altered state. I am committed to maintaining normal human consciousness. I did use drugs so that I could enjoy music, because I expected to enjoy, because I was taught that life is for enjoying, or enjoying is good and boring is bad. I was stupid, immature and a slow learner. A human adult is bored and unsatisfied. There is nothing special about consciousness. 

Negative thinking and negating pleasure is key. My mind is blown by metal music through no expectation. 

Headphones still suck. 

I know I’m going to regret this but… dude I think you need help. I understand that life can, at times, be a real drag. It can be monotonous and boring, that doesn’t mean there’s nothing more to life than that. It’s not healthy or accurate, to insist that becoming an adult requires the death of all excitement and joy.

as far as not finding modern metal to be at all exciting? I’m not as dedicated to tracking new releases as GG, Surj, and co but even I can think of three bands off the top of my head that dropped killer stuff last year. Even if you’re not interested in tracking down modern metal, there’s troves of bands from the 80s and 90s, just waiting to be discovered in the cavernous depths of the Internet. Anyway, that’s really all I’ve got to say so I’ll close with this: in life and metal you only get out of it what you put in.

7 hours ago, Sardonicist said:

All problems solved. 

Understanding that life offers nothing. Only children find new and interesting things. Adults have seen, done and heard everything, there is no novelty left. Of course metal would turn out to be boring. 

Expecting to enjoy anything is the mistake. Expect everything to be boring, expect to be bored, expect nothing, then be pleasantly surprised that actually I am enjoying these sounds. 

Other than fresh black coffee, I don't use drugs any more. I am not in an altered state. I am committed to maintaining normal human consciousness. I did use drugs so that I could enjoy music, because I expected to enjoy, because I was taught that life is for enjoying, or enjoying is good and boring is bad. I was stupid, immature and a slow learner. A human adult is bored and unsatisfied. There is nothing special about consciousness. 

Negative thinking and negating pleasure is key. My mind is blown by metal music through no expectation. 

Headphones still suck. 

Good on ya Luxi for getting off the drugs. Hopefully you're still young enough that your body can recover and you won't have lingering health issues when you get to be my age. My best buddy's a recovering alcoholic and cocaine addict. Been sober almost 20 years now, but he's a complete mess, he's got all kinds of health problems now. Young people think they can handle it no problem, but it's insidious, it catches up to you and takes its toll in the end. 

Blivvington is right, I think you do need some help. No shame in that, lots of us need help from time to time. Don't know what's available to you there in Thames but as a Kiwi medical care is free so you should take avantage if that and maybe find someone to talk to. Life isn't supposed to be so miserable all the time, that's not normal. No one's happy and content and satisfied and engaged and fulfilled all the time, yeah sometimes life can be boring. Sometimes life can really fucking suck. But it shouldn't be like that all the time, you've gotta learn to take pleasure from the little things sometimes. I'm no mental health professional so I should probably quit giving unsolicited advice. But it couldn't hurt to find a therapist or someone who might be able to help you have a better outlook on life. Worst that can happen is you don't get anything out of it and then you're right back where you started. Worth the trouble to find out I'd think.