Board Game

rohit789

• 3 months later...

I have a board game that's actually pretty fun called Tokaido. The premise is that you're a traveler in feudal Japan traveling the "East Sea Road" and the object is to have the richest cultural experience along the way. You get points based on what foods you eat, what panoramas you see, and the souvenirs that you collect along the way; whether you bathe in different hot springs & visit different temples, it's actually a really fun game and there is definitely a sense of strategy to it as you try to earn the most points during your journey.

53 minutes ago, NokturnalBoredom said:

I have a board game that's actually pretty fun called Tokaido. The premise is that you're a traveler in feudal Japan traveling the "East Sea Road" and the object is to have the richest cultural experience along the way. You get points based on what foods you eat, what panoramas you see, and the souvenirs that you collect along the way; whether you bathe in different hot springs & visit different temples, it's actually a really fun game and there is definitely a sense of strategy to it as you try to earn the most points during your journey.

I played that game a couple of games.  A lot of fun!  We used to call it Japanese Pervert Game cause we'd make up all these stories as to what was really happening at each locale (and suffice to say it was more of the kind of thing that happens in shady parts of Bangkok)!

3 hours ago, Dead1 said:

I played that game a couple of games.  A lot of fun!

I first found out about it because of a YouTube video with Will Wheaton, in that series he was doing for a while where he plays board games. I went out and bought it after watching because the concept & narrative of the game intrigued me, as it was a pretty original idea for a game and there is definitely a strategic element there. Only problem is that I rarely get to play it because I don't know anyone who plays board games.

However, there is another board game that I have (that sadly, is falling apart from many years of love) called Talisman. Talisman is quite possibly the coolest board game ever made and I cannot even begin to describe it here because it is so remarkably complex, but it's essentially like Diablo on a table top. I'd look into it if you don't already know about it. I have the second edition, I believe but now they've gone much farther with it and include plastic pieces in the current one, which are easier to keep and don't tend to get damaged as easily.

I am really into this RPG game called Dead of Winter. You are basically trying to survive a zombie apocalypse in the dead of winter lol. You have to go out of your compound and try to get supplies and avoid being wounded by zombies . Thing is there might be a traitor in the group or maybe not. It's pretty fun! 

8 minutes ago, NokturnalBoredom said:

I first found out about it because of a YouTube video with Will Wheaton, in that series he was doing for a while where he plays board games. I went out and bought it after watching because the concept & narrative of the game intrigued me, as it was a pretty original idea for a game and there is definitely a strategic element there. Only problem is that I rarely get to play it because I don't know anyone who plays board games.

However, there is another board game that I have (that sadly, is falling apart from many years of love) called Talisman. Talisman is quite possibly the coolest board game ever made and I cannot even begin to describe it here because it is so remarkably complex, but it's essentially like Diablo on a table top. I'd look into it if you don't already know about it. I have the second edition, I believe but now they've gone much farther with it and include plastic pieces in the current one, which are easier to keep and don't tend to get damaged as easily.

Played Talisman a lot.  Only problem is it goes on forever!  I've painted a ton of the figures too but then repurposed for Dungeons and Dragons.

I love really indepth ones like Talisman but also Arkham Horror, House on Haunted Hill, Zombicide, Battlestar Galactica etc.  

We play quite a lot of board and card games but wife is getting out of them so now it's simpler games like Coup, Llamas Unleashed (version of Unstable Unicorns), Throw Throw Burrito, Skulls etc.

I'm also an avid miniature wargamer - WWII but also Viking era and American Civil War.

Yep I am a total nerd.

8 minutes ago, vampyrvem said:

I am really into this RPG game called Dead of Winter. You are basically trying to survive a zombie apocalypse in the dead of winter lol. You have to go out of your compound and try to get supplies and avoid being wounded by zombies . Thing is there might be a traitor in the group or maybe not. It's pretty fun! 

That sounds like my kind of fun.

My brother ran a one session zombie apocalypse RPG using nothing but a jenga tower.  Each time a player made a choice, you pull a jenga block.  If the tower falls down, it has bad ramifications.  Being a bit drunk I collapsed the tower early on and got bitten!   Epic stuff. 

I am currently involved in a couple of Dungeons and Dragons campaigns (one as Dungeon Master)  and have also done Warhammer 40000 and Star War RPGs.

4 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Played Talisman a lot.  Only problem is it goes on forever!  I've painted a ton of the figures too but ten repurposed for Dungeons and Dragons.

I love really indepth ones like Talisman but also Arkham Horror, House on Haunted Hill, Zombicide etc.  

We play quite a lot of board and card games but wife is getting out of them so now it's simpler games like Coup, Llamas Unleashed (version of Unstable Unicorns), Throw Throw Burrito, Skulls etc.

I'm also an avid miniature wargamer - WWII but also Viking era and American Civil War.

Yep I am a total nerd.

That sounds like my kind of fun.

My brother ran a one session zombie apocalypse RPG using nothing but a jenga tower.  Each time a player made a choice, you pull a jenga block.  If the tower falls down, it has bad ramifications.  Being a bit drunk I collapsed the tower early on and got bitten!   Epic stuff. 

I am currently involved in a couple of Dungeons and Dragons campaigns (one as Dungeon Master)  and have also done Warhammer 40000 and Star War RPGs.

Yeah dude! Try playing DoW. Will Wheaton did a video on it on his YT channel that how I found out about it. 

That sounds like so much fun! 

Dude I've been trying to get into D&D but I find it so overwhelming. I have the starter 5e books. I have seen YT videos and also have read but I need help! 

3 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Played Talisman a lot.  Only problem is it goes on forever! 

I'm glad that someone else has finally heard of Talisman. The edition I have is a very old one from the 80s where all of the pieces were cardboard or paper. I'd love to get a new edition of it with miniatures, although I am not very good at painting miniatures due to the shakes.

3 hours ago, Dead1 said:

I really wanted to get into 40k. I had a Tau set back in the day but I only ever got to use it once because there was only one other person I knew of that played it and he ended up going off to college & forgot all about 40k, Magic: the Gathering and D&D. I was looking at trying to get into Warmachine as well, but again-- nobody around here plays. Most people are into video games rather than tabletop or wargames.

1 hour ago, vampyrvem said:

Dude I've been trying to get into D&D but I find it so overwhelming. I have the starter 5e books. I have seen YT videos and also have read but I need help! 

The rules are a little bit demanding but once you get it's not an issue.  

There might be clubs in your local area you can plug into.  

Do you have any specific areas you're struggling with? 

1 hour ago, NokturnalBoredom said:

I'm glad that someone else has finally heard of Talisman. The edition I have is a very old one from the 80s where all of the pieces were cardboard or paper. I'd love to get a new edition of it with miniatures, although I am not very good at painting miniatures due to the shakes.

I really wanted to get into 40k. I had a Tau set back in the day but I only ever got to use it once because there was only one other person I knew of that played it and he ended up going off to college & forgot all about 40k, Magic: the Gathering and D&D. I was looking at trying to get into Warmachine as well, but again-- nobody around here plays. Most people are into video games rather than tabletop or wargames.

My brother has the new set with all the minis and all the expansions.  Shame about the shakes - I find painting minis to be relaxing (gluing metal ones though drives me nuts).

I used to have a Tau force for 40K.  I sold them and all my other 40K stuff many years ago as I prefer history.

Shame you can't get anyone to play.  There might be clubs in your local area.  GW stores are a bit awkward as they are often all young uns.

I'm lucky average age at my gaming club is 30+.  

1 hour ago, NokturnalBoredom said:

Consider yourself lucky to have an OG older version. I promise you, the new(er) edition isn't nearly as good. There aren't nearly as many characters to choose from and it doesn't have anywhere near as many adventure cards or spell cards, so the gameplay gets far more repetitive than how I remember the older version. 

21 minutes ago, zackflag said:

Consider yourself lucky to have an OG older version. I promise you, the new(er) edition isn't nearly as good. There aren't nearly as many characters to choose from and it doesn't have anywhere near as many adventure cards or spell cards, so the gameplay gets far more repetitive than how I remember the older version. 

They ended up putting out a lot of expansions for revised Talisman, all with extra boards, adventure card, characters etc.

It's that new model of only selling half a product and then getting everyone to cough up more money to get the full game.

11 hours ago, Dead1 said:

It's that new model of only selling half a product and then getting everyone to cough up more money to get the full game.

Yeah that sounds about right. I've noticed that myself: you usually only get half the product and then "expansion sets" that you have to cough up money for in order to effectively play the whole thing.

We've been playing mostly card games here, but (as a sort of combination card/board game) my son made me a version of Sorry (for Father's Day of course) called "Sorry Dad". Played on a Sorry board but with a new deck of cards that have different moves. It's actually different and fun. I guess this pays me back for the time I made him an entire Scrabble set out of card stock when ours was in storage.

Not a board game, but I was really into Magic: the Gathering for a while despite being absolutely terrible at it an only having won a single tournament in my lifetime. The problem with M:tG was that it went downhill pretty quickly after Hasbro bought out Wizards of the Coast. Individual cards used to be worth money and hold their value, now a new expansion set is printed every four months and a lot of the cards are just recycled versions of cards that already existed with different names and artwork, so the old cards do not really hold their value anymore as you know that an analogue of them will be reprinted at least every year or so.

When I was first getting into M:tG n jr high, even the common cards were quality cards that you would put in a tournament deck. Now common cards are just filler to pad out the $4.75 you pay for a 15-card booster pack. They very rarely have tournament-level value, unlike back in the late 90s and early 00s. Of course, expansions only used to come out once a year back then because Wizards of the Coast did not have the workforce or budget to release a new expansion every four months, and expansions were painstakingly assembled for how they would affect the game itself. Cards were not usually simply re-printed with a different name and casting cost as they are now, so even the more valuable and useful of the common cards held their value to players and collectors. M:tG used to be a good hobby to invest money in, because your cards would hold their value. Not the case anymore, sadly.

The other problem with having expansion sets come out every four months is that in order to be allowed to play in most tournaments, you have to go out and spend hundreds of dollars on new cards every four months in order to have current cards to play with. Of course, this can be remedied by playing in a more casual format called EDH/Commander where all cards going all the way back to the beginning of the game in 93 are "legal" for play, but EDH decks generally tend to cost a lot of money to assemble as you MUST have 100 cards and a lot of the time, have to rely on expensive lands and multi-colored cards in order to build a decent EDH deck.

Sometimes I miss M:tG, but then I realize that like everything else, it's just not the same as it was when I was in jr high and that making-money has been prioritized over providing good gameplay.

A friend of ours buys board games like most people buy food, every time we go there she has a whole bunch of new board games. We don't play many of them because we don't have time but she got me hooked on Ticket To Ride. I actually ended up buying the game and multiple expansions on PC, it's obviously not the traditional way to play board games but with it on my laptop I can play it anywhere and I don't need any friends!

4 hours ago, NokturnalBoredom said:

Not a board game, but I was really into Magic: the Gathering for a while despite being absolutely terrible at it an only having won a single tournament in my lifetime. The problem with M:tG was that it went downhill pretty quickly after Hasbro bought out Wizards of the Coast. Individual cards used to be worth money and hold their value, now a new expansion set is printed every four months and a lot of the cards are just recycled versions of cards that already existed with different names and artwork, so the old cards do not really hold their value anymore as you know that an analogue of them will be reprinted at least every year or so.

When I was first getting into M:tG n jr high, even the common cards were quality cards that you would put in a tournament deck. Now common cards are just filler to pad out the $4.75 you pay for a 15-card booster pack. They very rarely have tournament-level value, unlike back in the late 90s and early 00s. Of course, expansions only used to come out once a year back then because Wizards of the Coast did not have the workforce or budget to release a new expansion every four months, and expansions were painstakingly assembled for how they would affect the game itself. Cards were not usually simply re-printed with a different name and casting cost as they are now, so even the more valuable and useful of the common cards held their value to players and collectors. M:tG used to be a good hobby to invest money in, because your cards would hold their value. Not the case anymore, sadly.

The other problem with having expansion sets come out every four months is that in order to be allowed to play in most tournaments, you have to go out and spend hundreds of dollars on new cards every four months in order to have current cards to play with. Of course, this can be remedied by playing in a more casual format called EDH/Commander where all cards going all the way back to the beginning of the game in 93 are "legal" for play, but EDH decks generally tend to cost a lot of money to assemble as you MUST have 100 cards and a lot of the time, have to rely on expensive lands and multi-colored cards in order to build a decent EDH deck.

Sometimes I miss M:tG, but then I realize that like everything else, it's just not the same as it was when I was in jr high and that making-money has been prioritized over providing good gameplay.

Some of my friends were into Magic when I was a teenager. I got to play a bit with borrowed cards but sort of missed the boat on getting started on my own. The card-based game I got hooked on was Rage, based on Werewolf: The Apocalypse. Used to play with a buddy of mine all the time. Eventually we outgrew it, but I've had my cards knocking around in a box ever since, and I recently got my son into playing it with me. He's super sneaky about swiping the best cards for himself. Long out of print, and the good cards are going for stupid money online now, so I guess we're stuck with what I've got.

3 hours ago, Dead1 said:

I've played Magic but it's a money pit.  You literally have to keep buying cards to stay relevant.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. It wasn't always that way, only when massive corporation Hasbro got into it & bought out Wizards of the Coast. Now a new expansion comes out three times a year and you have to keep dropping hundreds of dollars on the new cards to be able to play at anything resembling a competitive level and most people only play at a super-competitive level.

3 hours ago, Dead1 said:

ultra competitive types which we historical wargamers generally aren't.

That might be more of my scene. I just wish that there had been people around to play 40k with because I'm sure I would have gotten into it much more because the idea is just that much more interesting to me albeit Games Workshop stuff is also really expensive over here. I paid $90 for a small Tau force back almost twenty years ago, I cannot imagine how much it would cost now with inflation.

I'd be interested in getting into the historical thing though. Maybe like Germany versus Soviet tank battles or something, if they have stuff like that which exists, and I don't see why they wouldn't.

57 minutes ago, NokturnalBoredom said:

That might be more of my scene. I just wish that there had been people around to play 40k with because I'm sure I would have gotten into it much more because the idea is just that much more interesting to me albeit Games Workshop stuff is also really expensive over here. I paid $90 for a small Tau force back almost twenty years ago, I cannot imagine how much it would cost now with inflation.

Probably $90 for 1-3 minis now.  It's horrifically expensive.

I'd be interested in getting into the historical thing though. Maybe like Germany versus Soviet tank battles or something, if they have stuff like that which exists, and I don't see why they wouldn't.

Oh it exists and it's as addictive as crack cocaine.

Basically pick any war in history and someone makes minis or writes rules for it.

Bovington-07.jpg

678141d1397896167-superb-15mm-battle-kur

678136d1397896152t-superb-15mm-battle-ku

678139d1397896161-superb-15mm-battle-kur

17 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Closest I ever got to that sort of thing was as a kid, when we'd tag along while my dad did Revolutionary War reenactment. Tents, hasty pudding, britches, a musket I wasn't allowed to play with, triangular bayonets. Ah childhood.

I'd love to witness a re-enactment especially a Civil War one as they get quite huge by all accounts.

3 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Basically pick any war in history and someone makes minis or writes rules for it.

That sounds like something I could potentially get into if I could find other people around here who did it. There used to be four gaming/comic shops in this area, unfortunately all of them have closed down as far as I know. One of them sold a small amount of 40k and regular Warhammer stuff, supposedly people would play there too but I never saw anyone playing when I would go there to hang around.

Big problem with this area is that as far as independent businesses go, nothing really lasts that long. Generally only a few years, if that. Raw corporate power comes in and forces cool restaurants and shops to close down because they cannot hope to compete & it's a damn shame. I used to like to hang around those stores and play M:tG and occasionally have D&D sessions there. Going out to play games on Friday nights after work was a weekly ritual of mine for a while, but like all scenes, eventually people move on and they dwindle until there is nothing left.

I'm going to look into historical war games though, that might be something I can try to get into when I move to NY in another year or so. It might be a good way to meet people and maybe make some friends, because making friends is more difficult when you're in your thirties.

2 hours ago, NokturnalBoredom said:

I'm going to look into historical war games though, that might be something I can try to get into when I move to NY in another year or so. It might be a good way to meet people and maybe make some friends, because making friends is more difficult when you're in your thirties.

Historical wargames are more a club thing or between mates.  You might have to trawl some facebook stuff.

Popular rulesets for WWII include Bolt Action (28mm) and Flames of War (15mm scale).  You could try googling Bolt Action New York or BA whereever you live no.