In Memoriam - Metal/Rock Stars Passed Away Thread

On 7/27/2021 at 2:16 PM, Dead1 said:

Some sad news - Metal Church vocalist Mike Howe has passed away aged 55.  Cause is unspecified.

Be sure to crank Blessing In Disguise.

RIP

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metal-church-singer-mike-howe-dead-at-55/

Only just found out a memorial package for Mike has been released. It might be sold out now because of limited numbers but it's not a bad tribute to Mike.

meta:eyJzcmNCdWNrZXQiOiJiemdsZmlsZXMifQ=

On 11/6/2021 at 1:12 AM, Dead1 said:

Renowned metal journalist, Malcolm Dome passed away on 29 October.  He was a leading force in getting more extreme metal to the masses in the early 1980s.  He even coined the term thrash metal.

He wrote for Kerrang (when it was metal), Metal Hammer and Metal Forces and published quite a lot of books.

RIP

https://loudwire.com/malcolm-dome-journalist-dead-rockers-pay-tribute/

I met him a few times. He was a staple of the London scene and could be found holding up the bar at Crobar on Tottenham Court Road pretty much any night of the week, around the corner from Astoria and Mean Fiddler (at least when I lived close by and went to a gig once or twice a week in mid 2000s). Tin Pan Alley (Denmark Street - where all the guitar shops are and Regent Studios was - Paranoid was recorded) is also across the road. Probably all demolished now for Crossrail. Haven't been there for quite a while. 

Anyway. Malcome was very well respected, passionate about metal, and you'll see him interviewed on all kinds of metal history docs.

RIP

On 11/10/2021 at 3:44 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Jeff hannemann of slaayyyeeerrrr. 

Yeah it was weird when he died. He was not the one I was expecting to die first, I always thought it was going to be Kerry for some reason.

Though, I only really like very early Slayer anyway. Show No Mercy up through Hell Awaits is my period for Slayer. Reign in Blood did not do anything for me and I never really listened to anything that they did after that because I feel like they "toned it down" a lot in regard to how over the top they initially were.

Ex-Turbonegro singer, Hank Von Hell, passed away aged 49.  Kind of not surprising as he had battled heroin addiction before.

Not exactly metal but Turbonegro are cool and were kind of tangentially connected to Norway's black metal scene in that part of their schtick was to scare black metallers with overtly homosexual references but then a lot of BM guys loved the band!

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-turbonegro-singer-hank-von-hell-dead-at-49/

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, KillaKukumba said:

Almost 12 months to the day since his wife passed too.

Sad for their kids to lose both parents so close together and also at a relatively young age.

A lot of metalheads don't understand how some of the backstage players like Zazula, Slagel and though-he-may-be-an-asshat Digby Pearson played massive roles in the development of metal 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mark Lanegan's claim to brief rock fame came with being the singer for the grunge band, The Screaming Trees, of whom I own one album. But, he spent many more years working as songwriter and rock artist known for his gravely, dark vocals. I picked up a couple of his albums in recent years and enjoyed them quite a bit. Lanegan had a number of successful collaborations including working with QOTSA.

His style was rooted in the blues and veered into a kind of dark folk-noir that I've seen it described as dark roots rock, alternative singer songwriter and hard rock with a flair for gothic lyricism. By all accounts he had a lifetime of substance abuse with alcoholism and addiction. Apparently he nearly had his arm amputated while on tour in the late 90's due to a heroin infection in his arm. He had a powerful, almost haunting voice. IMO he was a gifted if tortured dude. He was 57.  I'm sorry to see him go. 

I own Blues Funeral  and Gargoyle 

5 hours ago, markm said:

Mark Lanegan's claim to brief rock fame came with being the singer for the grunge band, The Screaming Trees, of whom I own one album. But, he spent many more years working as songwriter and rock artist known for his gravely, dark vocals. I picked up a couple of his albums in recent years and enjoyed them quite a bit. Lanegan had a number of successful collaborations including working with QOTSA.

His style was rooted in the blues and veered into a kind of dark folk-noir that I've seen it described as dark roots rock, alternative singer songwriter and hard rock with a flair for gothic lyricism. By all accounts he had a lifetime of substance abuse with alcoholism and addiction. Apparently he nearly had his arm amputated while on tour in the late 90's due to a heroin infection in his arm. He had a powerful, almost haunting voice. IMO he was a gifted if tortured dude. He was 57.  I'm sorry to see him go. 

I own Blues Funeral  and Gargoyle 

I really liked that Screaming Trees song on the Singles soundtrack, but I admit I don't think I've heard anything else from them. They're widely acclaimed as one of the best grunge acts however along with Mudhoney.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/8/2021 at 9:39 AM, JonoBlade said:

I met him a few times. He was a staple of the London scene and could be found holding up the bar at Crobar on Tottenham Court Road pretty much any night of the week, around the corner from Astoria and Mean Fiddler (at least when I lived close by and went to a gig once or twice a week in mid 2000s). Tin Pan Alley (Denmark Street - where all the guitar shops are and Regent Studios was - Paranoid was recorded) is also across the road. Probably all demolished now for Crossrail. Haven't been there for quite a while. 

Anyway. Malcome was very well respected, passionate about metal, and you'll see him interviewed on all kinds of metal history docs.

RIP

Well said Jono.  I always liked reading his reviews in metal hammer magazine.  Apparently Mettalica got there name from a book Malcolm wrote about metal. Sort of like an encyclopedia. They invited him to the Grammy's but he preferred the cro bar. 

• 1 month later...

A fucking bummer indeed. 41 is WAY too young.

I lost interest in The Black Dahlia Murder some time ago but they were a pretty big part of my teenage years in the mid aughts. Caught them live a couple times and Trevor always seemed like a pretty damn cool dude. Lot's of witty, funny stage banter and could always be seen out in audience shaking hands and chatting with people. Never did meet him myself but everyone I know who has had nothing but good things to say.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Kirk Arrington who was Metal Church's drummer during their classic years  has passed away aged 61.  He had apparently battled with diabetes for many years which was the reason he stepped down in 2006.

RIP

https://www.metal-rules.com/2023/05/23/r-i-p-former-metal-church-drummer-kirk-arrington/?fbclid=IwAR38V7J7nSZ8JE0zhmSFb85aVo8bLCy9zcESetcwrRQi33ld9y0ULWgByv0

27 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Kirk Arrington who was Metal Church's drummer during their classic years has passed away aged 61.  He had apparently battled with diabetes for many years which was the reason he stepped down in 2006.

RIP

Dude take it easy. Yesterday you informed us that the dude from Tank who died was 63, and now today's dead MC drummer was 61. This is hitting a bit too close to home for me because I'm fucking 61 and I had records from both of those bands.

I've been dragging my feet on this because I'm a lazy bastard, but I really need to make my will and decide for sure who's gonna take this 9 year old and put it in writing just in case I cark it unexpectedly. I still feel pretty virile and healthy right now (except for my knees) but I'm sure most of the sick old people in the world right now once felt like they were pretty healthy too, until the day that they weren't.

• 5 months later...

RIP Steve Riley, drummer for WASP in their heyday in 1980s and LA Guns.  Only 67 but these guys partied hard!

I will be cranking some classic WASP tonight in memoriam.

https://www.metal-rules.com/2023/10/27/steve-riley-the-former-drummer-for-l-a-guns-and-w-a-s-p-has-passed-away-at-the-age-of-67/?fbclid=IwAR2u7MiRQaC4jO9D6c6BUT2DEbnqRig3j-NKGdxgEE1oiRKkDEn-hwGfsGY