In Memoriam - Metal/Rock Stars Passed Away Thread

• MacabreEternal changed the title to In Memoriam - Metal/Rock Stars Passed Away Thread
  • 4 weeks later...

Former Trouble singer Eric Wagner passed away from COVID related pneumonia

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-trouble-singer-eric-wagner-dies-after-battle-with-covid-pneumonia/

I'm not a doom metal fan and Trouble are often forgotten when compared to Black Sabbath, Pentagram and Candlemass but their influence was massive.  And Psalm 9 does rock!

RIP

Not real familiar with Trouble, tbh I had never even heard them until just a couple of years ago when a friend of mine just kept touting their 1990 self titled album and telling me how great it was until I finally broke down and gave it a go. I guess reading articles over the years in which they were labeled a Christian band with Christian lyrical themes was enough for me to skip over them and not pay them any mind, much like I did with Stryper. Turned out the record's pretty good and in 1990 I might have been all over it. But it's not 1990 anymore and rare is the day I get in the mood for some good ole fashioned hard rockin' anymore so I've only listened to it a couple of times. Dude was just a couple of years older then me. It has been hitting me a little harder the last few years as more of these rocker/metal dudes or actors around my age or even younger have started dying. Also kinda weird (for me, probably not for you) that he died on my birthday. RIP Mr Wagner.

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Sweet Sweet Connie Hamzy Famous Rock Groupie Dead at 66 

Was she eaten by crabs or something?

I wore out my tape of Trouble's Manic Frustration but oddly never delved into the rest of their catalogue. I was also put off by the rumour they were Christians, although that never bothered me with, say, King's X.

Anyway, Wagner had a great voice. RIP

6 hours ago, navybsn said:

Didn't know for years. King's X were always enjoyable enough, but their albums never really did it for me save for Gretchen Goes To Kansas. Doug Pinick is a monster on bass though.

Back on topic, RIP Charlie Watts.

RIP Charlie Watts indeed.  Sharp dresser and classy drummer in a vastly over-rated band.  

I'd lump King's X in with Type O Negative in the sense that its a totally unique band that no one else ever sounded like before or since. Wouldn't have called them prog...... in fact if King's X is prog then so is Type O. Come to think of it, both bands are grounded on a very characteristic bass tone.

The King's X Christian story has a nice twist at the end in that Doug Pinnick was gay and always felt marginalised by the "Christian scene" they were involved with. Last I heard he lost his faith. 

I am ashamed to say I have never heard a complete Rolling Stones record. What would be the mostest quintessential? The one with Sympathy for the Devil on it? That song is amaze-balls.

RIP Charlie.

BTW, all the old Trouble albums are on bandcamp https://troubleofficial.bandcamp.com/

I think its great that old acts are getting in on this, presumably because they have the rights back and can sell direct to fans. King Diamond and Mercyful Fate are also all there.

13 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

am ashamed to say I have never heard a complete Rolling Stones record. What would be the mostest quintessential? The one with Sympathy for the Devil on it? That song is amaze-balls.

RIP Charlie.

Neither have I.  Some good singles, plenty of dross, and the only thing worse than Jagger's fake working class speaking accent is his fake American singing accent.

13 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

I'd lump King's X in with Type O Negative in the sense that its a totally unique band that no one else ever sounded like before or since. Wouldn't have called them prog...... in fact if King's X is prog then so is Type O. Come to think of it, both bands are grounded on a very characteristic bass tone.

The King's X Christian story has a nice twist at the end in that Doug Pinnick was gay and always felt marginalised by the "Christian scene" they were involved with. Last I heard he lost his faith. 

I am ashamed to say I have never heard a complete Rolling Stones record. What would be the mostest quintessential? The one with Sympathy for the Devil on it? That song is amaze-balls.

RIP Charlie.

BTW, all the old Trouble albums are on bandcamp https://troubleofficial.bandcamp.com/

I think its great that old acts are getting in on this, presumably because they have the rights back and can sell direct to fans. King Diamond and Mercyful Fate are also all there.

I definitely hear Type O as having strong roots in progressive and psychedelic rock. It comes out more on their later stuff. They also went super Christian on the last album - I guess Pete got "saved" and went nuts trying to evangelize - but for some reason it doesn't bother me coming from them as much as it usually would. Maybe I'm just used to Type O being a personal confessional journey through the mind of a flawed and painfully self-aware weirdo? Love them, anyway. 

10 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

They also went super Christian on the last album - I guess Pete got "saved" and went nuts trying to evangelize - but for some reason it doesn't bother me coming from them as much as it usually would. Maybe I'm just used to Type O being a personal confessional journey through the mind of a flawed and painfully self-aware weirdo? Love them, anyway. 

Goddammit, don't say that! Dead Again is my favourite Type O album. Mainly because I played the others to death and it still seems "new".

Flawed is right. I saw Petrus live only twice, once with Type O (Life is Killing me cycle) and Carnivore (a reunion tour where they played the smallest venue in London you can imagine). He was drunk and "flawed" at both to the point I was uncomfortable; in the sense that I love the music so much but did not want the sub-par live experience to jade it. 

That is the only time I can recall that happening.

While I have practically nothing in common with Peter at all, for some reason his music perhaps has the most emotional connection of any band. Must be the self-a-weirdness.

Hey, this is a bona-fide "in memoriam" bit. 

8 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

Goddammit, don't say that! Dead Again is my favourite Type O album. Mainly because I played the others to death and it still seems "new".

Flawed is right. I saw Petrus live only twice, once with Type O (Life is Killing me cycle) and Carnivore (a reunion tour where they played the smallest venue in London you can imagine). He was drunk and "flawed" at both to the point I was uncomfortable; in the sense that I love the music so much but did not want the sub-par live experience to jade it. 

That is the only time I can recall that happening.

While I have practically nothing in common with Peter at all, for some reason his music perhaps has the most emotional connection of any band. Must be the self-a-weirdness.

Hey, this is a bona-fide "in memoriam" bit. 

I agree about the emotional connection. It's hard not to get drawn in by such personal lyrics. I've come around on Dead Again recently - I liked it ok but felt like it was a bit tepid for the longest time. Lately I've been listening to it a ton. Great vocals, and real drums, even! As far as their live shows, I know what you mean. I saw them two or three times on tour when I lived in the South and they weren't great - kind of a grudging performance, looked like they were just doing a job. It put me off them for a while. Then I saw them at L'Amour, and it was night and day. Pete was obviously way more comfortable and the whole band was more relaxed, and they were excellent. Great energy, and the crowd was all about it too. Lucky to have seen them three times at that venue.

I didn't take to Dead Again at first either (except for the song Tripping a Blind Man which I loved immediately) but now 14 years later I'd put it right up there with World Coming Down and October Rust as one of their top 3.

Type O hated touring, partly because all the early tours were disasters, everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong. But mostly because Peter hated being in the bus in close quarters with the rest of them, being 6'6" 280 pounds he couldn't ever be comfortable sleeping in the seat of a van or even later when they were more successful the tour bus bunk, he wanted a hotel room every night. His ideal vision of the band was just for them to make records in the studio and play the occasional local Brooklyn live gig but skip the touring. Makes sense that he enjoyed playing L'amour since he could be home and sleep in his own bed the nights before and after.

Go behind the scenes with TYPE O NEGATIVE with our stream of their 1998 DVD 'After Dark', including live footage of the band performing, back stage antics, music videos, and cynical humor. 

On 8/25/2021 at 4:37 PM, Thatguy said:

Neither have I.  Some good singles, plenty of dross, and the only thing worse than Jagger's fake working class speaking accent is his fake American singing accent.

This made me chuckle. I remember as a kid wondering how come this art school British dude was singing with such a pronounced American country twang. I will agree with you on this one Doc that they were vastly overrated. I do like a handful of their songs scattered across many different albums most of which were from the Mick Taylor era, '69 to '74. Gimme Shelter, Sympathy fr the Devil, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Monkey Man, Midnight Rambler, Heartbreaker, It's Only Rock & Roll...but then after Mick left they never released anything that I can even listen to again, much less anything I'd call good. Even though they had quite a bit of commercial success with the next four albums which got a lot of radio play in NY. I'm sure many of my old man Boomer peers would disagree with me but I really came to hate the Stones in the late 70's. 

If you really want the record with Sympathy on it Jon-O that'd be Beggar's Banquet from '68 you're looking for, the last Brian Jones album. While the Stones were considered quite edgy and controversial for their time in the 60's, looking back now past the hit singles that most everyone including you are likely familiar with, most of their records are actually filled with a bunch of country/folky/bluesy flavored songs. And while that might be alright for someone who's into that kinda thing it has literally no appeal whatsoever for me. Even as a young kid back in the late 60's early 70's I was looking for stuff much harder than that. You'll see if you listen to the album, side 1 & 2 openers Sympathy and Street Fighting Man are not at all representative of what the rest of the album sounds like.

I've never liked any Rolling Stone song I've heard, not really, genuinely liked. Hell, even Beatles has 1 or 2 songs I can listen to.

Trouble on the other hand I do like. I haven't kept up so I don't know if Wagner sang in any other bands after, but Manic frustration and Psalm 9 are great!

7 hours ago, Sheol said:

I've never liked any Rolling Stone song I've heard, not really, genuinely liked. Hell, even Beatles has 1 or 2 songs I can listen to.

Trouble on the other hand I do like. I haven't kept up so I don't know if Wagner sang in any other bands after, but Manic frustration and Psalm 9 are great!

I have to agree about the Stones. They have a few tunes I don't mind, but saying I like them is a little strong. Probably the closest is (Hey You) Get Off Of My Cloud.

Wagner was also in The Skull. Not much different than his work with Trouble.

For Those Which Are Asleep

• 2 months later...

I'd have to say David Bowie. He's not even close to metal but he's one of my favorite artists of all time & wish I was old enough to have been able to see him perform live.

Another recent one was Charlie Watts of the Rolling Stones. I'm a pretty big Stones fan as well despite them not being anywhere close to a metal band.

Chris Cornell. Another "not really metal" artist that I loved and was planning on going to see live until I learned that he died the day after I quit doing drugs forever.

As far as Metal goes: Chuck Schuldiner died way too young and it's already been twenty years since he died. Cliff Burton, one of my favorite bassists of all time, died in a terrible bus accident in 1986 (but we all know that already). It (Too evil to have a human name) of Abruptum died in 2017 and not a lot of people realize this. Quorthon died too young as well, only 38 of a congenital heart defect.

Lemmy

Janis

Mike Howe

and as an Aussie country kid it would be remiss of me not to mention Aussie Country Music legend Slim Dusty. His achievements might not have been worldwide but in this country they don't come bigger than Slim. A guy with only 5 years of primary school education who went on to record more than a hundred albums. From the early 50's when more than half the country was still unmapped sandy dirt roads that even today's four wheels drives struggle with, he toured the country relentlessly with his wife, family and a travelling band of entertainers all towing caravans and trailers behind family sedans. He was one of the very few white entertainers invited into aboriginal settlements at a time when the rifts between white and black were increasing, and he could tell a story about this country, it's people and it's harsh climate because he lived it. In many ways changed the way bands (all bands) of the future would tour this remote and unforgiving country side.

Renowned metal journalist, Malcolm Dome passed away on 29 October.  He was a leading force in getting more extreme metal to the masses in the early 1980s.  He even coined the term thrash metal.

He wrote for Kerrang (when it was metal), Metal Hammer and Metal Forces and published quite a lot of books.

RIP

https://loudwire.com/malcolm-dome-journalist-dead-rockers-pay-tribute/

On 8/24/2021 at 8:05 PM, Dead1 said:

Funny how that used to worry us!

It doesn't bother me. Christian "black metal" is cringe af though, I've listened to a lot of it and something about doing that style of music and essentially singing hymns just comes off as very desperate and sad. It's not the fact that someone is a Christian that bothers me, it's the fact that their music is compromised as a result and they can't do something original because they're just trying to be a "Christian" version of a secular band. There is an amazing Christian folk metal band that's essentially like a Christian take on Nokturnal Mortum (down to being from Ukraine) and I think that they're amazing.

There are some Christian bands that I legitimately like though. They're few and far between, and only one or two of them are metal bands, but Christians are capable of making good music when they want to be original rather than just trying to be an alternative to a notoriously un-christian genre of music.