Comics and Graphic Novels Miscellaneous

blaaacdoommmmfan

there's a marvel thread for films, graphic novels and comics what about having a thread for all the rest. 

please post what your reading now 

what are your favourite graphic novel/comic book/graphic novel film and why?

i know theres a few metal people who are in to this so why not have a good thread for this fine topic. 

i read swamp thing not far back by the famous author alan moore, it was amazingly drawn, just as i imagined it would look like, good story and intersting story which was good because sometimes comics can be bit predictable imo, amazing artwork, some of the best ive seen, volume 1 was very good. i got a good deal for it on amazon prime, volume 2 is much more expensive so may not rush to get that. the bad guy the fluronic man was interesting, so misguided imo, what a terror, 

what are others reading?

im reading the last ronin. its a teenage mutant ninja turtles 4part novel. its most excellent so far. three turtles area dead. one left. very exciting story so far. halfway through the 4 comic book series. first in a long time to have original creators Eastman and laird working on it. amazing story and drawings. 

what are others reading assuming its not this

Damn, that sounds depressing... TMNT was one of the first comics I got into and was at least a part of what kept me interested in drawing during those preteen years. I still love the first movie, too.

My first comics interests were Tintin, Asterix, and Calvin And Hobbes (which I still adore). When I got a little older I was big into X-Men and Wolverine, also a bit of the Venom and Carnage storylines in Spiderman, then followed Image Comics for a few years. Spawn and The Maxx were probably my favorites. I also really liked Usagi Yojimbo and a bit of Cerberus. Eventually I got into the Sandman comics, and a couple other graphic novels that I liked at the time but haven't really thought about much since. I've been meaning to reread Maus but I'm not quite ready for something that depressing at the moment.

It's a great format, the graphic novel. Wish it was easier to find that kind of thing nearby here. At one point I wanted to draw comics more than anything else... then it was tattoo design... then I wound up going to school for painting and moving away from all of that. A lot of it hasn't aged well. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2021 at 12:06 AM, FatherAlabaster said:

Damn, that sounds depressing... TMNT was one of the first comics I got into and was at least a part of what kept me interested in drawing during those preteen years. I still love the first movie, too.

My first comics interests were Tintin, Asterix, and Calvin And Hobbes (which I still adore). When I got a little older I was big into X-Men and Wolverine, also a bit of the Venom and Carnage storylines in Spiderman, then followed Image Comics for a few years. Spawn and The Maxx were probably my favorites. I also really liked Usagi Yojimbo and a bit of Cerberus. Eventually I got into the Sandman comics, and a couple other graphic novels that I liked at the time but haven't really thought about much since. I've been meaning to reread Maus but I'm not quite ready for something that depressing at the moment.

It's a great format, the graphic novel. Wish it was easier to find that kind of thing nearby here. At one point I wanted to draw comics more than anything else... then it was tattoo design... then I wound up going to school for painting and moving away from all of that. A lot of it hasn't aged well. 

i liked the first tmnt movie at the time. Re the last ronin arc i suppose it doesn't sound good although could have been worse as surviving turtle had a go at suicide after a big mission fails, its portrayed as way of preserving there honour rather than be caught which was hard to read at the time, i was thinking great there all going to be dead soon😲, fortunately he fails. Thats cool you were in to the tmnt graphic novels as a teenager. 🤘🤘🤘 would you read them again or are you done with the turtles. the first shredder roof fight is one i liked. out of interest which turtle storie arc did you like alot growing up?

asterix is classic. when i was young i read this alot. i read it so much i stopped liking it which is a shame. its cool asterix made it over to America. i assumed it was just a europe thing. how wrong was i? did you have any favourite asterix story.

im reading the original thomas the tank engine books to my young daughters, they love the expressive faces,also interesting to see how the drawings change with different authors too,(i got all the early ones for no money on ebay)  

i reckon i will have to look up maus, how depressing can the stories be. im guessing very very very😁 shame you didn't get to draw graphic novels professionally but the stories about dc and marvel bosses treatment of some of there star artists is terrible. 

not read spawn but always looked cool character imo

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got myself killing joke by Alan Moore. As had some birthday money left over. Deluxe edition was amazing as they'd recoloured drawings apparently. Not read original.  Interesting story too. The drawings looked amazing with just the classic look for all of them from Alfred, batman and joker and story was interesting too showing more about joker or was it. 😄 Definitely bit different compared to the usual marvel stuff I read. Good for a change. Would recommend. It's bit  shocking but was expecting worse. 

What are others reading?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 9:03 PM, NokturnalBoredom said:

The last Graphic Novel I read was Box Brown's "TETRIS", which was the story of how the game of TETRIS was created and became a cultural phenomenon from the now-nonexistent Soviet Union. It was pretty good and informative, because I've always been a Tetris fan.

Sounds good. I'm always interested in stuff like that. I was looking up history of tomato ketchup other day. It was interesting too imo.  Yeah I will see if Tetris book is on Kindle. I remember it was massive for a while Tetris. Was peak of its success because it was the free game with the Gameboy

3 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Sounds good. I'm always interested in stuff like that. I was looking up history of tomato ketchup other day. It was interesting too imo.

The art is not by any means really detailed or great, it's just a fascinating story that they happened to put in the format of a graphic novel. I haven't read a whole lot of graphic novels in my life. I read V for Vendetta, Watchmen, Persepolis, and this one. I would definitely check this one out though, it's very interesting.

On 10/20/2021 at 12:23 AM, NokturnalBoredom said:

The art is not by any means really detailed or great, it's just a fascinating story that they happened to put in the format of a graphic novel. I haven't read a whole lot of graphic novels in my life. I read V for Vendetta, Watchmen, Persepolis, and this one. I would definitely check this one out though, it's very interesting.

Nokturnal good to hear from you again and thanks for your words of explanation. I'm more likely to read it now. I may suggest it to friends and family as sample I read on internet make it a good read thats Definitely of general interest to alot of people however I've not read whole thing and I may be jumping to conclusions😁

If you've read v for Vendetta and watchmen by Alan Moore have you read swamp thing. I got it for no money on Amazon Kindle and it was a pleasant surprise. I've not read  watchmen but it is one I want to read. 

12 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Nokturnal good to hear from you again and thanks for your words of explanation. I'm more likely to read it now. I may suggest it to friends and family as sample I read on internet make it a good read thats Definitely of general interest to alot of people however I've not read whole thing and I may be jumping to conclusions😁

If you've read v for Vendetta and watchmen by Alan Moore have you read swamp thing. I got it for no money on Amazon Kindle and it was a pleasant surprise. I've not read  watchmen but it is one I want to read. 

I have not read Swamp Thing yet, no

I'll be perfectly honest & this is technically comic-related: I'm going back through Marvel's The Punisher Netflix series and wondering exactly why in the hell they canceled this show. Maybe because it was too violent for the sensibilities of weak-minded people? Because "The Punisher" generally has a bad rap now among comics fans as being a "right-wing hero" because certain shit-eating wannabe-tough guy cops put the skull on their patrol cars? (He's definitely not, he's fundamentally anti "law & order" because he kills bad people rather than bringing them to the justice system & his logo has absolutely ZERO place on a cop car for that reason)

This was the greatest show about the greatest Marvel character to ever grace Netflix's generally shitty line up of shows, but my sneaking suspicion as being the most likely reason why it was cancelled is because Netflix does not have any ownership stake in Marvel, that's all Disney so the chances of the show being revived on Disney+ does exist (and I hope that Disney doesn't wuss out and permanently keep it stuck in cancellation). Punisher season 2 was great even though the plot element about all of the bad guys being "Christians" & "Patriots" was unnecessary and stupid when you have better & more pertinent Punisher villains like Elite (a racist and a fascist) and General Kreigkopf (A war criminal) that they could have written for (To be completely fair though in my assessment of season 2: John Pilgrim was a great villain though and I hope that if they revive the show, they bring him back because he's based off of a real Punisher villain called "The Mennonite").

I hope that Disney+ revives the show. I don't normally watch shows or movies, but I'd make an exception for a third season of Marvel's The Punisher. Matter of fact, I might head down to the book store today and look for some Punisher trade paperbacks.

On 10/27/2021 at 4:30 PM, NokturnalBoredom said:

but my sneaking suspicion as being the most likely reason why it was cancelled is because Netflix does not have any ownership stake in Marvel, that's all Disney so the chances of the show being revived on Disney+ does exist (and I hope that Disney doesn't wuss out and permanently keep it stuck in cancellation).

Yeah, I think this is it, together with the fact that Disney probably wanted their IP license back in-house to have the freedom to do whatever they want in the future. It's worth noting that Netflix/Disney pulled the plug on all the shows simultaneously. Plus, Netflix famously don't release statistics so we don't know how well/bad the Marvel shows did. I think Daredevil and Punisher were generally well liked but Iron Fist was awful and Luke Cage kinda meh. I liked Jessica Jones but that was more a of a thriller/slowburn, then a typical comicbook spectacle.

3 hours ago, Sheol said:

I think Daredevil and Punisher were generally well liked but Iron Fist was awful and Luke Cage kinda meh. I liked Jessica Jones but that was more a of a thriller/slowburn, then a typical comicbook spectacle.

I only watched Punisher. I did not watch Daredevil despite Punisher being in it. I saw some of the scenes featuring the character, but I never sat down and watched the series. I did not watch Iron Fist, Luke Cage, or Jessica Jones at all. I was really stoked for more seasons of Punisher but like you said, Disney pulled the plug on it because they want to be able to do what they want with it in-house.

Season two was good and the villain John Pilgrim was based off of the Mennonite so he was a cool character, but the overall plot of season two was kind of weak compared against season one. I was hoping that for future seasons, they were going to bring in Vigilante Squad or Ma Gnucci, but I guess now we won't know until they decide to bring the show back (which there are apparently talks about resuming Punisher, just not on Netflix).

I'm having a remarkably difficult time finding Punisher collections/trade paperbacks though. My Books a Million does not carry them. They seem to only have Star Wars, Power Rangers, Iron Man, and Black Panther (basically anything connected to a big budget Marvel movie).

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2021 at 11:44 PM, KillaKukumba said:

My Archie comics are all just the Riverdale gang ones. Some are Archie, some are Betty and Veronica and some are just Jughead. I've got a few old ones like this, but most of them are newer ones from some time in the 80's

archie_cover.jpg

I've got loads of Beano and dandy up in the loft. It's similar to Archie I'm guessing. Dennis the menace, desperate Dan, bash Street kids, korky the cat. Many a fun hour reading those. 

I read thats theres a big statue in Paris of asterix mastermind goscinney. Don't know if you ever heard of asterix. Cool though .

which author of comic books should have a statue in your opinion? There's got to be others. Garth Ennis one in northern Ireland 😁

I love Asterix, I don't have too many of them any more but I do still have some. I tried to get my kids interested in them when they were young and they never found the same appeal as I did. Tin Tin was also another favourite, I preferred Asterix but I was always happy to take a Tin Tin if there wasn't a new Asterix floating around.

The other one I loved was Footrot Flats. Dog was such an iconic and loveable character. The rest of the gang were also great but Dog just had something about him. I'm not sure if there isn't a statue of Dog in New Zealand, he was a huge export for the country.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2021 at 11:34 PM, KillaKukumba said:

I love Asterix, I don't have too many of them any more but I do still have some. I tried to get my kids interested in them when they were young and they never found the same appeal as I did. Tin Tin was also another favourite, I preferred Asterix but I was always happy to take a Tin Tin if there wasn't a new Asterix floating around.

The other one I loved was Footrot Flats. Dog was such an iconic and loveable character. The rest of the gang were also great but Dog just had something about him. I'm not sure if there isn't a statue of Dog in New Zealand, he was a huge export for the country.

That's cool you like asterix. As a kid I was very keen on asterix. Don't like it as much as I used to. My kids like the characters alot. There not so keen on the books yet. Probably bit young. Too bad your kids didn't take to asterix. 

Not heard of footrot flats. One to Google. Yeah that's cool about the statue of dog. Beaats some of the statues you get these days

20 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Dog was the farm dog all farmers wanted to have :)

Sounds good. Snoopy is a cool dog too but would be annoying having a dog disappearing off and sneaking into school using the Joe cool alias. At least they might get the free school dinner 😁 

20 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Dog was the farm dog all farmers wanted to have :)

Sounds good. Snoopy is a cool dog too but would be annoying having a dog disappearing off and sneaking into school using the Joe cool alias. At least they might get the free school dinner 😁 

• MacabreEternal changed the title to Comics and Graphic Novels Miscellaneous