A World Without

AJoshWithout

Hey Josh, bienvenidos. I'm an old man, so keep that in mind and take my comments with a grain of salt because I'm probably not your targeted demographic for deathcore. Unlike most old men I mostly listen to a lot of black and death metal but the problem I have with so much deathcore I run across besides the chugginess and comical OTT br00tality is that it makes me laugh, and I have trouble taking it seriously. So when checking out new death metal I generally draw a subconscious line and I tend to stay away from whatever comes down on the deathcore side of it. I can enjoy the occasional slam or BDM record but I couldn't take a steady diet of that stuff. The biggest turn offs for me are usually the silly breeee breeee vocals and the djentiness/chugginess.

That said, I think your vocals are pretty good. I listened to your new song here and even took the liberty of checking out about half of the full length album you guys released last summer. No pigsqueals to be found anywhere. I really like your snarling higher register, can I ask are you the one doing those lower register growls as well? I see you're the only one listed on the band's M-A page as vocals so I'll assume that's you too. Wasn't feeling the cleans at all, not because they were bad or anything, that's just not my thing, I very rarely tolerate cleans mixed in with my extreme metal.

So the question I have for you now Josh is what the fuck are you doing in a deathcore band? You're too good for those guys. Shitloads of metal bands in Portland, why don'tcha find a black metal band to sing for? Of course that's my inherent bias showing as an older fan of "old school" death metal. I don't know, maybe to young dudes like you death metal and deathcore and slam are all just like slightly different shades of the same thing but to most old dudes like me deathcore and slam reside in an entirely different neighborhood from death metal, and the death metal bus line doesn't make any stops down that end of town. You could call me a death metal purist or even an elitist I suppose. And I can accept that.

I will give you guys credit though, you manage to avoid most of the worst and most annoying tropes of deathcore and I did not laugh even one time. So in conclusion I'll say that aside from a couple of those breakdowns I thought this song was actually quite good for deathcore, better than most even (in my limited exposure) there's clearly some talent in play here I'm just not a fan of the sub-genre. But good luck bro, I hope A World Without takes the entire deathcore world by storm with its next album. Just remember you're good, you have options.

Hey man! I appreciate the honest opinion! I dig most kinds of extreme metal and hardcore based genres, but I do find myself gravitating towards deathcore, metalcore, and symphonic black metal more than anything. I might be somewhat of a product of my time, as far as metal goes I feel like that’s sort of the most popular thing with people my age right now. That being said, I definitely agree that a lot of modern deathcore really overuses gutteral vocal styles. I love that kind of stuff when done right, but if that’s all you do it becomes monotonous. 
I really appreciate the kind words! Lately I feel like I’ve been kind off finding myself more as a vocalist, so who knows! I might look to branch out and start a new project at some point

Thank you for taking criticism so well Josh, always a good sign IMO.

I think I'm in the same boat as the Goatmaster, in that I have almost 0 interest in deathcore or metalcore, so our influences clearly don't really overlap there, but the musical and vocal skill was sharp. Like the GM said, it'd be interesting to hear you try different styles. From a compositional view I think the last break down at 4:30 was completely unnecessary, to the song was over by then and it didn't add anything. IMO you have to work really hard to keep any kind of death metal song interesting and intense for 5 minutes (unless it's some werid mish-mash like Opeth).

I think my general gripe with deathcore/metalcore's reliance on breakdowns is that it often kills the momentum of the song dead. Instead of adding brutality or heaviness it just becomes an exercise in start-stop.

I think one of my favorite breakdowns is this one, 1:27 and onward, because it keeps the song going while still being a heavy 4/4 breakdown.

Raised Fist - Back

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies