Looking for a new home

I'm an old man who really enjoys talking metal. Every metal forum I've ever been a part of for the last 15 years has ultimately shut down and come to an end at some point forcing me back out onto the streets to look for a new home. You don't realize how much you value and appreciate and take for granted having a place to connect with and interact with other metalheads until it's gone. I've made lots of good metal forum friends over the years, some of whom have transitioned to being good real life friends. I'm hoping that trend can continue. The metal forum I've been happily posting on for the last 5 years just gave our small group of remaining faithful a single week's notice of our impending demise yesterday so we're still processing this. Figured I'd look around and see if I could find a new place that's cool enough that maybe I could even get a couple of those dudes to come join me.

So hello. And please tell me, what kind of a metal forum is this?

I'm in the same seat as the Goatmaster, in fact we migrated from the same forum, and hopefully this is a place to stick my tentpoles in the ground (i.e. asshole-free but plenty of opinions!).

I'm from Sweden, main metal genre is by far black metal, but pretty much all genres has a place in my heart, though some may require more effort to win my love (prog, doom, grind need to be really fucking good to catch my attention).

How's the geographical distribution here, mostly USA or?

So firstly, welcome to you both.  Secondly, let's be honest here this forum isn't anymore lively than most others out there but we do have a strong community and you are more than welcome to join us and become a part of this.  You'll find me a bit abrupt probably but I am harmless enough - just my moderator role on here means I have to keep the place asshole free like @Sheolmentions.

Hope to see you around on the threads.  My only ask is that you check for existing threads before creating new (duplicate) ones as other wise lots of low activity threads appear and makes the place look even more dead.

We have a varied geography here with British (myself and a couple of others) American, Brazilian, occasional Australian and wider Europe also.

From the same boat.

Currently interested in new black metal and death metal. Recently acquired a taste for Slam. Have been experiencing some crust and sludge. 

I still listen to Megadeth, Slayer, Overkill, Anthrax, Black Sabbath, King Diamond, early Wasp, Merciful Fate, AC/DC, Pantera but have zero interest in New Wave Heavy Metal/Thrash Metal. 

4 hours ago, Thatguy said:

It's Thatguy.  Another refugee from the other place.  I remain the new improved Thatguy.  Australian.  Older than the Goatmaster which just means I have had more time to listen and to refine my taste.

Aha yes T-Doc you're a wee bit older than me, or so you claim, but that just means you have a little less time left on this earth to discover new music. And anyone can tell you all the best stuff is yet to come. Unless you're one of those super annoying health nut types who runs 5k every morning in which case I might cark it before you. That would suck. My dream has always been to be the last Boomer metalhead standing.

Is this you running out for a coffe Doc?

8b044efb2446a8642e030b3c6e0d8534.jpg

Okay, it's me. I'm another refuge too attached to these new wanks to not talk shit with them on the regular. I reside in the geographic sweatbox that is North Florida and travel as much as possible, mostly to watch live gigs.

I'm into all kinds of metal, love goats, Satan, and firmly believe Geddy Lee is in fact god. I am also very bad at introductions, so that will have to do. I do hereby solemnly swear to apologize whenever I'm an asshole, lend audio wankery intel whenever I can, and promise to be a responsible internet forum citizen. If not, I will sacrifice 53 virgins on the first full moon after my buffoonery.

Hey Navy, glad to see you made the trip! Wasn't expecting this big of a turnout to be honest. Although we're still missing Mark, Surge, Jon-0, Zach, Cornhole, Hungarino and Marko.  Who am I forgetting? Don't say Deadovic, I left him out on purpose. Not that I haven't enjoyed arguing with that stubborn Taswegian for the last 5 years, but I'm thinking they might not appreciate reading that shyte over here. If he comes he comes, but I'm not going to encourage him. I've already dropped my second post on the totally wrong and completely inappropriate thread, so now I reckon I'll have to try my best not to make any more of a bad first impression on the mods than I already have.

This is turning into the longest intro thread in years.  If I could change the title to "The Ellis Island Thread" I would but my moderator powers don't permit this - @FatherAlabaster am I being thick on that?

Anyway welcome all, can see you active across the boards already but if you need anything feel free to shout up.

10 hours ago, navybsn said:

Geddy Lee is in fact god.

You know, I think there's something to this.

4 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

This is turning into the longest intro thread in years.  If I could change the title to "The Ellis Island Thread" I would but my moderator powers don't permit this - @FatherAlabaster am I being thick on that?

You should be able to change it from a desktop browser while you're looking at the forum list. I know I've done it, but that was before recent updates. Try right clicking on the thread title.

Anyone looking for the "newest thread on top" view, just click on Activity or go to Activity>All Activity on mobile.

What's up. Yet another MetalFi migrant in checking in (I think that makes six of us now?? haha).

I reside in the grim, frostbitten wastes of northern Canada. I spend an inordinate amount of time listening to music as it's often too cold to do anything else up here. Connoisseur of most things heavy and extreme. Generally prefer my metal on the blackened side but I like a little bit of everything.

If it has riffs, then it has my attention.

9 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

Anyway welcome all, can see you active across the boards already but if you need anything feel free to shout up.

Not the biggest Megadeth fan tbh but I do now have an overwhelming urge to yell out "Ellis Island!" to the tune of the chorus of Devil's Island. 

I appreciate that you lot are being so cool about welcoming us strangers into the group like you have been because it occurs to me that it could be a bit overwhelming to have an unruly mob of new members dropping in en masse all at once like this. 7 of us Metal-Fi forum "refugees" have already made accounts here and blown up this introduction thread, and there are still another half dozen or so of our regulars who might or might not decide to come join us here in the coming days. I've reported back that the coast is clear and that we've been officially welcomed by the mods here at M-Fo so I guess we'll see what happens.

And don't worry we're harmless, just a bunch of (mostly) middle aged men who have been posting together for a few years and have bonded over takling about metal and about life. We're not ready to part ways, we'd just like the fun to continue. Guess I'm really the only loudmouth know-it-all obnoxious one of the bunch you'd need worry about, the rest of these dudes are all much more well behaved and housebroken than I, they play nice and won't give you any trouble. If I get out of line just smack me and tell me to shut the fuck up. I mean well, I really do, I just get carried away sometimes.

I was a metalfi lurker, so I followed these fine people here too. Just got back into metal a few years ago... listened to a lot of thrash and death in jr high but got way more into punk and garage rock for the next 25ish years. So it's drinking from the firehose really. These guys know their black metal so I really appreciate that along with their bandcamp embeds.

8 hours ago, ratpfink said:

I was a metalfi lurker, so I followed these fine people here too. Just got back into metal a few years ago... listened to a lot of thrash and death in jr high but got way more into punk and garage rock for the next 25ish years. So it's drinking from the firehose really. These guys know their black metal so I really appreciate that along with their bandcamp embeds.

Welcome Senor Fink! Glad you followed us over.

Hahaha we can't be responsible for which lurkers follow us over as we didn't even know they were there lurking in the shadows in the first place. 

Jay was our mod and he had taken on a more passive role these last few years as many of us had gone down the extreme black & death rabbit hole while he was into more like sleaze rock, hair metal and classic heavy metal. But we love Jay and are glad he decided to join us.

We still have our historically most prolific poster Marky Mark yet to make an apoearance because apparently he has some vague anxiety about signing up so he's been avoiding it and putting it off at all costs even though it takes literally 5 minutes tops. He is still posting on the other board by himself basically once or twice a day or so. He's been busy leading kayaking tours of the Chesapeake or the Potomac or whatever and teaching from home during the week but he promises he'll be along when he's ready. He can't live without us  

We also have Jon, "Monsterworks" a Kiwi ex-pat living in London who has said he'll be along soon as well. Mr Plant Based Judas Priest, Jon's a good dude and I wouldn't be happy if he doesn't show up.

And then there's Marko, he's an old forum friend from the Amazon days ('08 - '12) where I met BANerd. He just wandered into M-Fi out of the blue last year and started posting, I was quite glad to see him again after all those years. He stays somewhat aloof and keeps his distance, he'll post in spurts daily for a few days and then you won't hear from him for a couple of weeks. He told me he will come make an account here but who knows when that could be. I hope it's soon because he's probably more knowledgeable about heavy music and punk than all the rest of us put together.

And then there's Deadone. Deadly do Right. Deadovic as I call him, our Croatian/Aussie Tasmanian contrarian misanthrope. He has posted his formal goodbyes and it would seem for now that he has no intentions of following us over here. But he has left us before intending never to return and then shown up again months later because he missed having a group to interact with. So I would be willing to bet money that before 2021 is over he will show up here. Even if it's just to argue politics with me. 

Thats about all the regulars I can think of off the top of my head besides Cornhole, joined last year and I really thought he was gonna stick but now he hasnt posted in a few months. Regardless he's been PM'd. We had a bunch more regs 4 or 5 years ago but they've all since drifted away. Like I said, I have no idea how many lurkers there could be but I suspect most of them would probably sign up and post once or twice at best anyway.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Jay was our mod and he had taken on a more passive role these last few years as many of us had gone down the extreme black & death rabbit hole while he was into more like sleaze rock, hair metal and classic heavy metal. But we love Jay and are glad he decided to join us.

Jay can definitely stay.  I am polishing my Winger LP as we speak...