murder mystery thread

blaaacdoommmmfan

On 8/13/2021 at 12:22 AM, Sardonicist said:

Yeah it's a murder mystery with a haunted bridge, soft horror. 

Currently watching My Life Is Murder, light mindless entertainment. 

for my birthday i will download few episodes, haunted bridge and soft horror sound ok to me.

plus theres this American one that looks good. its sort of got comedy element to it. balor recommended it.

will you tube my life is murder too. see whats its about. 

On 8/13/2021 at 12:43 AM, KillaKukumba said:

Psych was stupidly fun and most of the time interesting.

I used to watch all the Midsummer Murders but I'm not a huge fan of the newer Barnaby, it's not that the new actor is that bad but I don't think he's had the best sidekicks.

Not sure if it's more a cop show or a murder mystery but there is a NooZuland show called The Brokenwood Mysteries which I quite like too.

a midsummer murders fan thats great. i used to watch fair few episodes. i used to get excited when i watched the early episodes. not so much these days but its still good. i used to work in the 3 counties where they filmed it which i thought was cool. re barnaby the original john nettles was the best imo. replacement was ok but not same presence imo. also have you seen Bergerac. a much much younger and thinner john nettles(original baranaby) is the star of that. apparently its bit like uk equivalent of miami vice. no idea as not seen that. id recommend that even though its not strictly murder mystery although some episodes are like the mason one. 

I tend to agree with you about the presence of the new guy (can't remember his name) not being the same as John Nettles. He's not a bad actor, he's just not the Barnaby that the show was grown on. But I liked Sgt Troy and DS Jones more than I liked the more recent guys too. I also think original Barnaby's wife did a better job at solving the cases for him that new Barnaby's wife does, the new one just doesn't come across as natural in the role of expert case solver and wife.

Bergerac was brilliant. We used to get a lot of first run UK cop shows on our local ABC but these days most of our free to air channels seem to cycle through the old classics. The Bill didn't need to be repeated it went forever anyway, but these days we still get regulars like Morse, George Gently, Rosemary and Thyme, Silent Witness, Foyles War, Endeavour, Lewis, Frost. I've seen a lot of them when they first aired, but still watch some of them when I'm channel surfing and find nothing else to watch.

I also liked the little more off beat ones like Wire In The Blood, Life On Mars, Jonathan Creek and New Tricks.

I like Neil Dudgeon but I agree Midsomer has a different feel to it without John Nettles. We've got the latest two or three seasons left to catch up on but haven't wanted to subscribe to yet another channel to get them just yet. I might cave soon though... I miss watching the show, my favorite televised murder mystery. 

My wife and I have been watching Bones lately. Used to watch this several years ago and picked it back up as an alternative to going to sleep on time during the past few months. I like it better now than I used to, even if it is highly stylized candy fluff with some pretty questionable story arcs. Legendary gore reveals. 

Another one I really liked was Cadfael, but I stopped watching it so I could get my hands on the books.

Through no fault of the cast I do think Midsummer got a little stale in the writing and production in the last series I saw which was S22. It's on our free to air TV here so no doubt I'll watch the latest series when it arrives but it's no longer a must watch show like it used to be.

Candy Fluff is about right with Bones. They should never have let Bones and Booth get involved romantically, once they had to start writing romantic parts into the story other parts of the show just fell away. It does happen a lot with all sorts of shows when they let two main stars become romantic but for me that was the downfall of Bones. Kathy Reichs books are much more readable than the last season or two of the series.

I don't know if the romance itself is the problem in Bones. It's more of a feature than a bug despite the eyerolling moments. There's definitely some strained writing around the "will they/won't they/why aren't they" axis, but the show is pretty heavy on intra-office romance in general. I like episodes better when things calm down a bit and they just have stable relationships without needing to make them the focus of everything. But then maybe that's why I can watch this show with my wife: something for everybody! The thing that's bothered me the most is the "omnipotent serial killer" plot idea that they keep going back to and dragging out and then resolving too easily. First it was the Epps guy, then the "Grave Digger", then the guy who killed the "Grave Digger", then the weirdo computer hacker murder genius. And then there was that whole massive conspiracy involving everyone in the government, blackmailed judges, military assassins, prison, etc etc... Over in three or four episodes. A lot of it feels like they got in over their heads with ideas and had to cram a bunch of action in to sketch out barely plausible conclusions that would let them get back to business as usual. What I wouldn't give for a humdrum self-contained detective story sometimes.

3 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I like Neil Dudgeon but I agree Midsomer has a different feel to it without John Nettles. We've got the latest two or three seasons left to catch up on but haven't wanted to subscribe to yet another channel to get them just yet. I might cave soon though... I miss watching the show, my favorite televised murder mystery. 

My wife and I have been watching Bones lately. Used to watch this several years ago and picked it back up as an alternative to going to sleep on time during the past few months. I like it better now than I used to, even if it is highly stylized candy fluff with some pretty questionable story arcs. Legendary gore reveals. 

Another one I really liked was Cadfael, but I stopped watching it so I could get my hands on the books.

I remember being very entertained by the gore in bones, but kind of cringing at things, or just not being quite braindead enough to be watching at the time. There was a black metal murder drama episode. 

For me when Bones and Booth eventually got together the writers tried too hard for personal parts of each story and it upset the flow of the eps. When they weren't an item those stories flowed better, there was sexual tension, there was just general tension, but as soon as the relationship became official it went from natural to forced. They had some good supporting staff too with just about all the characters, but even Angela and Hodgins relationship stories felt forced, although being supporting cast members theirs wasn't in the same focus, so it was better.

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2021 at 5:09 PM, Balor said:

Another good series: Monk.

An obsessive-compulsive detective solves improbably murders in San Francisco.  It is a comedy, but with a good sense of humor.

balor i got episode 1 of series 1 of monk. Thanks for recommending it. its good so far. its bit different but i like it. definitely comedy element of it i like too. 

out of interest have you got any favourite episode of monk. or are they all good.

Yeah I like Brokenwood.

Fern Sutherland is easy on the eyes and the German medical examiner has some great lines with her sometimes messy translations. There has been quite a few faces through the years that have appeared in other Aussie/NZ shows. It does have similarities to Midsomer but the accents are enough to remind you it's not the same show :)

Some of the stories are easy to pick the killer, but they are mostly all interesting and there is usually something entertaining even in the easy one.

Mike's car, although not as perfect as it looks, is a classic Aussie icon.

3 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

balor i got episode 1 of series 1 of monk. Thanks for recommending it. its good so far. its bit different but i like it. definitely comedy element of it i like too. 

out of interest have you got any favourite episode of monk. or are they all good.

Glad you like it!  Right, it is definitely a comedy, but a good one.  The series is pretty consistent, so they are good all the way through the end.

20 hours ago, Balor said:

Glad you like it!  Right, it is definitely a comedy, but a good one.  The series is pretty consistent, so they are good all the way through the end.

good to know balor thanks for information.  also thanks for recommending. very much liking it. 

i have family who live in the bay area so there are some landmarks ive seen when ive been over from the uk. its nice extra

1 hour ago, Natassja said:

My fave Midsomer is the one with Dennis Rainbird played by Richard Cant, peculiarly quirky entertaining character along with his mother :) think it was 'Killing at Badgers Drift' now i've had a quick scan..the characters made a re-appearance in 'Dead Letters' also..but he played his lookalike cousin or summit like that. 

That was the very first episode, and yeah, it was hilarious and one of their most memorable episodes.

On 8/11/2021 at 3:00 AM, Sardonicist said:

Top of the Lake

Top of the Lake: China Girl

Couple of interesting shows, that I remember being a little sick and twisted. 

One Lane Bridge, murder mystery with psychic policeman, pretty normal murder mystery but the main character keeps seeing ghosts.  

ive finally watched one lane bridge. well two episodes of season 1. brings back memories of my trip to new Zealand. there was no mountains on north island but places had similar feel to them i.e remote.    re the show. its good as most of the time its run of the mill kind of stuff which i like then the cop has a vision or sees a ghost or whatever. plus he never looks that happy to go back to one lane bridge  👍 thanks for recommending it. 

On 9/22/2021 at 12:38 AM, Natassja said:

My fave Midsomer is the one with Dennis Rainbird played by Richard Cant, peculiarly quirky entertaining character along with his mother :) think it was 'Killing at Badgers Drift' now i've had a quick scan..the characters made a re-appearance in 'Dead Letters' also..but he played his lookalike cousin or summit like that. 

only in midsommer murders can a character come back as his lookalike cousin 😂 definitely got to see those episodes. 👍thanks for sharing natassja