I'm new in metal. What bands should i listen to?

ScorpioG

Question

13 answers to this question

On 4/18/2021 at 8:35 AM, ScorpioG said:

Im new to metal, have started listening to slipknot and want to try other bands.

Depending on how heavy/extreme you want to go:

Thinking of things you might like that are around the sound you're currently listening to, you might be interested in:

Sevendust
Mushroom Head
Sepultura
(recent albums)
Devil Driver
Lamb of God

For heavier, more extreme stuff, I suggest:

Napalm Death
Suffocation
Morbid Angel
Abnormality
Miseration
Mgla
Earth Rot

There really is so much out there to check out, but these were just one's that came to mind at the moment. 

i recomend starting with the older stuff, like black sabbath, iron maiden, judas preist, death, slayer, anthrax, ect ect. then, once you find something you like, check out other bands from the genre it is from; eg. if i liked anthrax i would look at "thrash metal". dont know if this is amazing advice, but its what ive been doing..🤘

maybe it would be better if you search for information about metal bands in your area first, at least by knowing the metal bands in your country you will know what metal genres are the most popular there! because the genre of metal music is so broad, it's not necessarily the same taste even though we like metal music..

I was listening to a lot of Avenged Sevenfold's City of Evil/Waking the Fallen albums around the time I started listening to Slipknot many years ago. City of Evil is more pop like but the instrumentation is absolutely wild, Waking the Fallen is a bit heavier with metalcore elements.

Still listen to them this day, their latest album The Stage is an absolute masterpiece and I recommend it to absolutely anyone.

If you're listening to Slipknot, I cannot really give you any decent recommendations because Slipknot has for all intents and purposes, ceased to be a metal band from what I gather and are just doing the hard rock/Hot Topic-core thing now. Slipknot back in the day? Yeah they were still a metal band, so I can only recommend bands I know from back in that day: Kittie, Skrape, Devildriver, Gwar, Lamb of God, Arch Enemy...

It all depends on what type of metal you're interested in. If you like older Slipknot stuff (like the album with Surfacing, Prosthetics, and Wait & Bleed on it) then you might like stuff like Earth Crisis & Chokehold (both metalcore), Dying Fetus & Cannibal Corpse (death metal).

I primarily listen to black metal though, so I can give you a bunch of recommendations for black metal bands to listen to but I honestly cannot think of much that sounds like Slipknot, especially not anymore now that Slipknot has softened their sound a lot. Sorry 😕

I love how the dude joins the forum on April 17th, makes exactly one post then disappears, and over 6 months later people are still bumping this thread to answer him with recos of shitty mainstream and nu-metal bands that might sound like something a Balloon-knot fan might dig. I'll never understand why people do that. Dude says he's new to metal and he discovered a band and for some reason everyone assumes he wants more of the same. I would have told him forget about the fucking 'Knot and recommended he start his journey into metal by combing the WAYLTRN thread where you'll find a shit ton of good ideas to explore. But that's me. 'Cause I mean if he really just wants mainstream garbage he can find that shit anywhere.

Balloon-knot wasn't so bad when I was in the 9th grade. I still on occasion listen to the first album when I want to kick it old school. The song "Surfacing" always reminds me of hanging out on campus with my friends while football games were going on, and then going to the Clock restaurant to get coffee and omelettes. It sort of has the same vibe as Kittie's "Spit" and other albums that we were into when we were kids.

It's a generation thing Nokky. Balloon-knot and Limp Bizkunt and all that nu-metal crap from the late 90's like Korn or Kittie or whomever was made to appeal to millennial teenagers. When the 'Knot debut dropped in the summer of '99 I was already approaching 38 years old, well past their target demographic. So the entire nu-metal movement was barely a blip on my radar, that's not how I remember the 90's and 2000's musically because I wasn't listening to it. You were only like 13 at the time, so you and your little schoolmates were exactly who those records were aimed at. There's no shame in having a nostalgic connection to nu-metal or whatever music might've been popular when a person was a teenager in school.

I was just saying if an adult came to me now in 2021 and said they'd just discovered metal and they found this crappy band from 20 years ago and asked if I had any recos for them, I would be more inclined to try to steer them towards something I thought was good rather than trying to give them more similar alternatives to said crappy band. My theory is let's not go out of our way to keep nu-metal alive, let's just let it die gracefully with whatever small amount of dignity it might still have left.

18 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

You were only like 13 at the time, so you and your little schoolmates were exactly who those records were aimed at. There's no shame in having a nostalgic connection to nu-metal or whatever music might've been popular when a person was a teenager in school.

I never got into Limp Bizkunt or Korn or anything, but I liked Kittie, Deftones, and Balloon-knot when I was a freshman in high school and if it wasn't for those two bands, I probably wouldn't have found Dark Funeral, Emperor, or Nightwish (and then wouldn't have found Nokturnal Mortum, Malevolent Creation, Tiamat, Marduk, et al). I get what you're saying though, at 35 the album doesn't have the same appeal to me as other albums from my teenage years... like the one I'm listening to right now "Spiritual Black Dimensions" (Dimmu Borgir). I have fond recollections of the debut Slipknot album because it reminds me of a time when all my friends were still alive/not doing 25 to life.

Balloon-knot only has one album that I liked though, that's the debut one but I don't think I would ever go out and buy it on vinyl because I overplayed it in high school. Same with Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning, and Master of Puppets... I overplayed all of those albums in high school and would now only buy original pressings of them instead of going out and spending $35 on 180g represses.

I was into Nu-metal very briefly until I found Emperor, Nightwish, Dark Funeral, Iced Earth, etc and then was largely mocked by my peer group for listening to "kill your mother, rape your dog shit" that "doesn't sound like anything". I actually traded in almost all my Nu-Metal CDs to CD Warehouse and got black and death metal stuff that they had to offer, which admittedly was not very much by the time I was in my sophomore year of high school. I'm on of the fortunate ones who made it out with better taste than I had when I went in.

I bring up Balloon-knot specifically because my buddy's son is really into them and Stone Sour now. Fortunately he also likes Cannibal Corpse, Amon Amarth, and is exposed to stuff like Rotting Christ and Nokturnal Mortum by his old man, so he can see through the whole commercial metal thing pretty well, has picked up guitar and is better than both I and his old man were at 16.

I have no problem with letting Nu-Metal die, but there were some legitimately good albums that came out of that whole movement, they're just few and far between and I can name most of them on my fingers. See, most of the Nu-metal bands dropped any pretense of being a subgenre of metal by their second or third albums and then became standard bullshit radio rock. Kittie was the only one that continued to be a metal band after their third album (or even had a third album, because Skrape did not).