Upcoming Albums/New Releases, 2021 Edition

FatherAlabaster

Ninkharsag - The Dread march of solemn gods

UK black metal of the more modern sort. Kind of like a mix of Dark Funeral, Naglfar, with some traces of Norwegian scene thrown in. Halfway through and I'm digging it. Good riffs and focus on tight songwriting.

SPectral Lore -

Don't let the ugly as fuck cover scare you off, Spectral Lore once again prove to be one of the most talented bands in black metal. It's a long album, and requires some time invested, but IMO it's worth it.

I've seen this described under a couple of genre tags, but I'm going to go with Encyclopedia Metallum's post-doom tag (whatever the fuck that is). Excellently weird shit from South Africa.

Ophiuchi - Shibboleth

His first album is delightfully unsettling. This song in particularly fun on a dark night with a good set of headphones.

Ophiuchi - Bifurcaria Bifurcata

Another interesting release that I'm not sure I like, but came to me highly recommended. I don't usually do Industrial Metal, especially not with clean singing, but the first pass has me intrigued. I hear some Killing Joke in this which is never a bad thing.

C R O W N - The End of All Things

Upcoming release from WTC Productions - "SamaeLilith", a four-way split between Thy Darkened Shade, Amestigon, Inconcessus Lux Lucis, and Shaarimoth. They only have preview snippets available right now, no full tracks, but it sounds good so far.

https://wtcproductions.bandcamp.com/album/samaelilith-a-conjunction-of-the-fireborn

On 5/2/2021 at 1:14 AM, FatherAlabaster said:

Upcoming release from WTC Productions - "SamaeLilith", a four-way split between Thy Darkened Shade, Amestigon, Inconcessus Lux Lucis, and Shaarimoth. They only have preview snippets available right now, no full tracks, but it sounds good so far.

https://wtcproductions.bandcamp.com/album/samaelilith-a-conjunction-of-the-fireborn

Intersting, Thy Darkened Shade's "Liber Lvcifer" was damn good, as was their track on the 4-way split with Mortuus, Abigor and Nightbringer.

3 hours ago, Sheol said:

Intersting, Thy Darkened Shade's "Liber Lvcifer" was damn good, as was their track on the 4-way split with Mortuus, Abigor and Nightbringer.

They're great. "Liber Lvcifer" kicks ass, it's been one of my go-to albums for a while. I wish they had included one full track here instead of the promo mashup, but Thy Darkened Shade's stuff sounds like it's the same high quality. 

New track from the upcoming Cerebral Rot album. I thought their last album was boring and I find most contemporary "caveman" death metal to be uninspiring and dull, but I liked this track much more than I thought I would so my interest has been piqued.

Album releases June 25.

Still haven't decided where I want to deposit new stuff, here on the Upcoming Albums thread or maybe on the Black Metal Recommendations thread or I could just throw it all on the WAYLTN thread. I suppose every upcoming album becomes a new album at some point and then eventually an old album. So I reckon it's about time I got over my little problem with the word "upcoming" and just make this my new release thread across all genres. I post a ton of new releases, it's what I do. And then the real standout must buy stuff I can post on the Black Metal recos thread or whatever the appropriate genre may be. Majority of it will be black metal though.

Posted this on the other board in a big dump awhile back, still on the fence about buying it but I think today I'm starting to lean towards yes. So much good Polish black metal all of a sudden the last several years, I wonder what's going on over there?

Sznur - Dom Człowieka

Atmo-black from Belarus. I've really been a lot more receptive to atmo the last couple of years than I had been previously. As long as it has some balls.

Cryptospital - Scythe of the Black Death

• FatherAlabaster changed the title to Upcoming Albums/New Releases, 2021 Edition
22 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Still haven't decided where I want to deposit new stuff, here on the Upcoming Albums thread or maybe on the Black Metal Recommendations thread or I could just throw it all on the WAYLTN thread. I suppose every upcoming album becomes a new album at some point and then eventually an old album. So I reckon it's about time I got over my little problem with the word "upcoming" and just make this my new release thread across all genres.

I changed it for you. Hope it helps.

On 5/1/2021 at 9:17 AM, navybsn said:

I've seen this described under a couple of genre tags, but I'm going to go with Encyclopedia Metallum's post-doom tag (whatever the fuck that is). Excellently weird shit from South Africa.

Ophiuchi - Shibboleth

His first album is delightfully unsettling. This song in particularly fun on a dark night with a good set of headphones.

Ophiuchi - Bifurcaria Bifurcata

Nice Navy. I've got Bifurcaria Bifurcata.  Wouldn't have guessed you'd like these guys, but you've got diverse tastes. Cool album. Haven't followed them since this one came out. 

1 hour ago, markm said:

Nice Navy. I've got Bifurcaria Bifurcata.  Wouldn't have guessed you'd like these guys, but you've got diverse tastes. Cool album. Haven't followed them since this one came out. 

The new one is good. I was pretty surprised to find out it had come out. I follow him on bc and still didn't get an alert or anything.

7 hours ago, navybsn said:

The new one is good. I was pretty surprised to find out it had come out. I follow him on bc and still didn't get an alert or anything.

I stumbled on a meh review on AMG and put in my Bandcamp. I think I did see it earlier but only one track was released. The whole album is up on Spotify which means I can listen on my mains rather than stream on my PC.

NP -Dinosaur Jr. -Sweep it Into Speace-this should be "new purchases" for me me but I'm being lazy. This one has a great loose almost power pop alt rock sound with Mascis signature alternative rock meets Neil  Young's Crazy Horse harder edged sound of which I count myself a fan. 

NEW RELEASE INFO:
Old school stalwarts Craven Idol celebrate their 15th anniversary with third opus FORKED TONGUES.
Swearing by the gods of old, the North London veterans further hone their unique blend of old school extreme metal.
“After spending a month on the road with Mystifer, we are a closer-knit unit than ever before. There’s a good reason for this being the longest standing line-up in our fifteen-year existence. The entire band lived and breathed this record in the months preceding the studio, and the performances delivered by each member are testament to their dedication to untarnished extreme metal of old,” says founding member Sadistik Wrath. “FORKED TONGUES is a vicious and concerted tribute to folly of mankind. In these godless days of Sodom, craven idols are in their element, wheeling and dealing, beckoning you to follow their treacherous causes. The apocalyptic legends of ancient Greece read like unholy divination… and it is from them that we drew the subject matter for the record.”
Recorded, mixed, and mastered by Tom Dring at Southport’s Vagrant Recordings, FORKED TONGUES showcases a rawer side of CRAVEN IDOL, aiming to bottle the band’s live ferocity.
Shunning the trends and genre-specifications poisoning the scene, CRAVEN IDOL pay homage to a wide variety of bands, including Bathory, Mercyful Fate, Master’s Hammer, Manilla Road, Gospel Of The Horns, Sodom, Satan, Poison (Ger), Candlemass, Mystifier, Cirith Ungol, and Absu, to name just a few.
The monumental artwork, courtesy of master painter Eliran Kantor (Sodom, Incantation, Testament, Atheist) displays a scene of our world on the brink of total devastation.
"Forked Tongues" will be released on CD/LP/CS/digital formats on July 23rd through Dark Descent Records.
Pre-orders begin June 4th. Preview track coming soon!

Personally I am very excited by this news!

On 5/11/2021 at 6:33 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I had the first Craven Idol album whenever that came out and I liked it, but I don't think I even noticed that they had a second album out in '17.

Craven Idol - Shackles of Mammon

Actually, have that one myself. Pretty fun album. 

Djevel - Tanker som rir natten

Djevel has consistently released good albums and two tracks in on this one I see no reason to suspect this one will be any different. Norwegian black metal from genre veterans like Kvitrim (Mare, Celestial Bloodshed), Faust (Emperor, Thorns) and Trond (NettleCarrier)