Upcoming Albums/New Releases, 2021 Edition

FatherAlabaster

I don't have a lot to add right now, but there are a few albums I'm looking forward to - this February will see new releases from:

Ad Nauseam - Imperative Imperceptible Impulse
I just listened to about half of this and it's holding up to its promise, a definite step up from their (very good) debut. Chaotic, technical, dissonant DM that doesn't hide behind layers of murk. Here's a link to a full album premiere: https://www.nocleansinging.com/2021/01/29/an-ncs-album-premiere-and-a-review-ad-nauseam-imperative-imperceptible-impulse/

StarGazer - Psychic Secretions
Proggy, thrashy, engaging DM from Australia with great fretless bass. Here's another premiere link: https://www.nocleansinging.com/2021/01/28/an-ncs-album-premiere-and-a-review-stargazer-psychic-secretions/

Forhist - Forhist
A new project from the mind behind Blut Aus Nord, this project is intended as a more straightforward melodic black metal offering. Personally I've become a huge fan of BAN's more expansive albums recently, and I'm not finding this as captivating on first listen, but I'm still eager to take in the full album when it comes out. Promo tracks on Bandcamp: https://blutausnord.bandcamp.com/album/forhist

What are you all looking forward to in the coming months? Feel free to share.

New Intonate album "Severed Within" due out this April. Their debut "The Swerve" was a cool, riffy modern tech death album that wasn't sterile and didn't sound like everybody else. Promo track sounds good, the bass is nice and prominent like their last recording - check it out at Invisible Oranges: https://www.invisibleoranges.com/intonate-yearn-premiere/

The debut album from Isgherurd Morth is coming out in March. New school dissonant BM ( in a good way) with some post-BM atmosphere, impressive musicianship, caustic vocals and a great, clear sound, featuring one of Necrophagist's previous drummers. Promo tracks on bandcamp: https://reposerecords.bandcamp.com/album/hellrduk

Edit: I have to say the full EP doesn't hold up well. The promo tracks were cool, but as a whole, it's poorly paced and outstays its welcome, which isn't good for four tracks. Still some good ideas on here though.

And I find myself actually kind of looking forward to the new Cannibal Corpse for some reason, I haven't put them on for years but I think this new track is kinda cool -

I meant to add to this:

New split album featuring Grizzly Fetish (black/death metal), collaborations between Reek of the Unzen Gas Fumes (black/grind)/Scatmother (harsh noise), and Nigamushi (dark ambient).  It is supposed to be out early this year on the label Death Hymns.

May be an anime-style image

I must say that I am really looking forward to this one!

• 4 weeks later...

Grave Miasma album scheduled for release this May. Preorders available from Dark Descent later this month. Promo track sounds as you'd expect from Grave Miasma, killer old-school vibes echoing from the blasphemous yawning chasm of goat something something. I dig it.

I'm also looking forward to this EP from Turris Eburnea, a trans-Atlantic collaboration including Nick McMaster of Krallice. He was also a member of Castevet, one of my favorite NYC bands back when I was in the area, and this new music has some vibes that recall their stuff. Releases next week, preorders available at Everlasting Spew.

https://everlastingspewrecords.bandcamp.com/album/turris-eburnea

On 2/3/2021 at 6:25 PM, FatherAlabaster said:

And I find myself actually kind of looking forward to the new Cannibal Corpse for some reason, I haven't put them on for years but I think this new track is kinda cool -

Yeah, good track that. But then they do always have at least one track per album that I really like, rarely more than a few, so I don't have high hopes for being into the new album as a whole. Incredible live band, though, and I absolutely love their documentaries too.

1 hour ago, Thrashman said:

Yeah, good track that. But then they do always have at least one track per album that I really like, rarely more than a few, so I don't have high hopes for being into the new album as a whole. Incredible live band, though, and I absolutely love their documentaries too.

I haven't really connected with them since The Wretched Spawn, so I can't say I have very high hopes either, but it's a refreshing change to find myself actually enjoying something new from them. 

17 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I haven't really connected with them since The Wretched Spawn, so I can't say I have very high hopes either, but it's a refreshing change to find myself actually enjoying something new from them. 

Evisceration Plague, Death Walking Terror, Scourge Of Iron, Kill Or Become, Code Of The Slashers... a few other tracks since The Wretched Spawn that I reckon you might like :)

38 minutes ago, Thrashman said:

Evisceration Plague, Death Walking Terror, Scourge Of Iron, Kill Or Become, Code Of The Slashers... a few other tracks since The Wretched Spawn that I reckon you might like :)

Thanks man. I generally listen to everything they do when it comes out, and I can usually find something to enjoy for a little while, but it's been a long time since a CC album stuck with me. I think I just got burned out on their sound, and I hate feeling like I'm wading through filler to get to the good stuff. 

9 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Thanks man. I generally listen to everything they do when it comes out, and I can usually find something to enjoy for a little while, but it's been a long time since a CC album stuck with me. I think I just got burned out on their sound, and I hate feeling like I'm wading through filler to get to the good stuff. 

Well, fingers crossed this album is different. But the interviews I've seen with the band recently would suggest otherwise.

None of them have even mentioned Pat O'Brien, as an aside, I would love to know how he's doing. Hope he's sorted himself out/ isn't going to prison forever/ etc. 😕

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2021 at 6:02 PM, FatherAlabaster said:

Forhist - Forhist
A new project from the mind behind Blut Aus Nord, this project is intended as a more straightforward melodic black metal offering. Personally I've become a huge fan of BAN's more expansive albums recently, and I'm not finding this as captivating on first listen, but I'm still eager to take in the full album when it comes out. Promo tracks on Bandcamp: https://blutausnord.bandcamp.com/album/forhist

I just grabbed this Forhist album not too long ago, a couple of weeks ago now maybe and I just thought it was some cool atmospheric black metal from France. I was completely unaware of the BAN connection. Put it on just now to see what I can hear and yeah absolutely I can hear it now quite clearly. I'm finding it remeniscent of Hallucinogen (without all the cool retro soloing unfortunately) which was one of the absolute best albums of 2019. So good that it made me go back and revisit a lot of their previous stuff and listen to it with new ears.

31 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I just grabbed this Forhist album not too long ago, a couple of weeks ago now maybe and I just thought it was some cool atmospheric black metal from France. I was completely unaware of the BAN connection. Put it on just now to see what I can hear and yeah absolutely I can hear it now quite clearly. I'm finding it remeniscent of Hallucinogen (without all the cool retro soloing unfortunately) which was one of the absolute best albums of 2019. So good that it made me go back and revisit a lot of their previous stuff and listen to it with new ears.

Hallucinogen was great, yeah. And it definitely made me more open to some of their less black-metally stuff. Great listening for when I'm walking around the woods or anytime I want the music to give me a bit more space. I still haven't spent as much time with Forhist as I'd like, my listening time has been scarce lately.

1914 - Where fear and weapons meet October 22, presumably on Napalm Records.

"Blind leading the blind" was my favorite album of 2018 so I'm really looking forward to the follow up. For those unaware, 1914 is an Ukrainian black metal band (no Nazi) that mainly sing about WW1. They're not the rawest, nor the most commercial, but straddles that nice middle ground of being memorable while still being fucking intense.

10 hours ago, Sheol said:

1914 - Where fear and weapons meet October 22, presumably on Napalm Records.

"Blind leading the blind" was my favorite album of 2018 so I'm really looking forward to the follow up. For those unaware, 1914 is an Ukrainian black metal band (no Nazi) that mainly sing about WW1. They're not the rawest, nor the most commercial, but straddles that nice middle ground of being memorable while still being fucking intense.

T

Haven't heard Blind, but the 1914 album I have, Eschatology of War from 2015 is death/doom. Are you saying they changed style from death/doom to black metal?

11 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Haven't heard Blind, but the 1914 album I have, Eschatology of War from 2015 is death/doom. Are you saying they changed style from death/doom to black metal?

The Blind Leading The Blind is the same style, but loads better. Great album. Didn't know they have a new one on the way, that's good news. I have tickets to see them on tour (in a cool tiny little venue near where I live), but it's been postponed twice and I'm guessing it might never happen now 😕

2 hours ago, Thrashman said:

The Blind Leading The Blind is the same style, but loads better. Great album. Didn't know they have a new one on the way, that's good news. I have tickets to see them on tour (in a cool tiny little venue near where I live), but it's been postponed twice and I'm guessing it might never happen now 😕

Maybe I ran afoul of the hype machine when that album came out, but it didn't do much for me. I seem to remember thinking it was kind of uninspired. Wouldn't say no to a revisit but my expectations are low.

8 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Maybe I ran afoul of the hype machine when that album came out, but it didn't do much for me. I seem to remember thinking it was kind of uninspired. Wouldn't say no to a revisit but my expectations are low.

Think I had it pre-release, from Redefining Darkness, so I definitely wasn’t influenced by the hype train. I loved the old WW1 samples, the songs really did it for me, I thought the production was excellent and that it worked really well as an overall package... plus the timing of the release was cool - 11th hour on the 11th day on the 11th month/ the hundredth anniversary of the end of the war. These things are of course entirely subjective, and the world would be a dull place if we all liked all of the same things, but I thought it was a pretty special album anyway.

1 minute ago, zackflag said:

New Darkthrone album releasing June 25.

https://metalinjection.net/upcoming-releases/darkthrone-announces-new-album-eternal-hails-for-june

Their last three albums have all been great! Needless to say I'm looking forward to this.

Hell yeah, that put a smile on my face. I think everyone who knows me knows how I feel about the last 3 Darkthrone albums. 

Don't like to dwell on upcomings too much since once I've heard a track I get impatient and annoyed about having to wait for the official release date to get it when I know it's already in the can. How very entitled of me, yes I know. I like finding shit just after it's been released so if I'm digging it I can get it right away. So most of what I will post on this thread will be new shit from the current year that's already dropped.

That said I'm currently listening to a preorder!

Crucifixion Ritual - Gouging the Eyes of Angelic Purity demo

1 minute ago, zackflag said:

New Darkthrone album releasing June 25.

https://metalinjection.net/upcoming-releases/darkthrone-announces-new-album-eternal-hails-for-june

Their last three albums have all been great! Needless to say I'm looking forward to this.