The All-Time Greats Thread - Flawless or not.

StefSabbath

12 hours ago, wayfaringstranger said:

A few:

Rosetta - The Galilean Satellites 

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada

Ulver - Bergtatt 

Der Weg Einer Freiheit - Finisterre

Between the Buried and Me - Colors 

I'm not familiar with the other bands, but I saw BTBAM not too long after they released Colors and it was an amazing show. In a pretty shitty club (which I liked) and the crowd basically stood there in awe, not sure what to do.

13 hours ago, Yowie said:

I'm not familiar with the other bands, but I saw BTBAM not too long after they released Colors and it was an amazing show. In a pretty shitty club (which I liked) and the crowd basically stood there in awe, not sure what to do.

Oh, nice! I've seen BTBAM tons of times, they're my most-attended live show for whatever reason haha. A few years back they played Colors in its entirety for an anniversary show and it was one of the best shows I've ever been to, was just phenomenal.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

Here are 5 I like....maybe 6......

HUSKER DU - New Day Rising

MILES DAVIS - Tribute To Jack Johnson

STORMCROW - Enslaved In Darkness

NEUROSIS - Times Of Grace

KRAFTWERK - Autobahn

G.I.S.M - Detestation

......and a bunch more.....

Husker DU is a great band. I think I like Zen Arcade a little more than NDR, but there's not a bad song on either.

And that Miles Davis album is one of many perfect albums he made. John McLaughlin is on another level of reality. Some of the stuff he did on A Tribute to Jack Johnson will never be duplicated by mere mortals. One of my favorite guitarists of all time. Sonny Sharrock is no slouch either.

...I would also add "Flip Your Wig" to that HUSKER list as well....

...SST Records from 1980- 1987 was virtually unmatched in quality releases....

MEAT PUPPETS

MINUTEMEN

FIREHOSE

SACCHARINE TRUST

BAD BRAINS

DAS DAMEN

OVERKILL L.A.

WURM

BLAST

GONE

DC3

ST. VITUS

PAINTED WILLIE

....and obviously BLACK FLAG and HUSKER DU....

...I have every single release from SST through 1996...and most after that....great label....

I'm missing a few of those, but now I have a need to fill in the gaps. Dischord had a pretty great run back then too and I spent quite some time acquiring their discography. Which leads me to Fugazi - 13 Songs (a comp I know but still the first proper Fugazi album nonetheless. Take the individual EPs if you would rather). Absolutely essential album with not a bad track.

Discord was quite formidable.....

FAITH

VOID

JAWBOX

MINOR THREAT

RITES OF SPRING

SCREAM

TEEN IDLES

IRON CROSS

.....the DC/Northern VA  scene was every bit as cool as NY, Boston, and LA.....

...my brother and I used to hop freight trains up to DC to catch hardcore shows on weekends back when we were in high school......

....went to see MINOR THREAT/CIRCLE JERKS show there at the 930 Club... BLACK FLAG, ROOT BOY SLIM, REM, tons of other bands......

......WhiteNoise was too busy prancing and preening, in his "bronto" boots and concho belt, back then.....I don't think he had his fresh white Reeboks yet.....

5 minutes ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

FAITH

VOID

JAWBOX

MINOR THREAT

RITES OF SPRING

SCREAM

TEEN IDLES

IRON CROSS

...my brother and I used to hop freight trains up to DC to catch hardcore shows on weekends back when we were in high school......

....went to see MINOR THREAT/CIRCLE JERKS show there at the 930 Club... BLACK FLAG, ROOT BOY SLIM, REM, tons of other bands......

......WhiteNoise was too busy prancing and preening, in his "bronto" boots and concho belt, back then.....I don't think he had his fresh white Reeboks yet.....

Nah no freight train hopping for me in the 80's, we rode inside the LIRR cars to the city for CB's matinees and shit like Nina Hagen at Irving Plaza. They even let us bring beers on the train if you kept it in a paper bag. For metal we drove 90 minutes to L'Amours in Brooklyn because it seemed that's where all the bands played back then. No Reeboks ever, I was way too cool to be wearin' sneakers in the 80's, it was grey (everyone else had brown) dime store cowboy boots all the way. I did the long hair leather jacket and bullet belt thing back in the days when they sold bullet belts and spiked gauntlets at the record store.

I'm not really sure tbh. I know I've seen both the Cro-Mags and Leeway back then a couple of times each so good chance I might have been to that one. There were always fights outside wherever the hardcore bands happened to be playing. If there were metal and hardcore bands playing the same show the hardcore kids would beat up on the long haired suburban metalheads, and if it was all hardcore bands on the bill the skinheads would just beat on each other for fun. I'm pretty sure I saw Cro-Mags at L'amour and at the Ritz one time as well. And I'm positive we saw Leeway at CB's one time too. We were going to just about every metal show we could find out about in that period from summer of '81 right up until I got married in '88 and then I started slacking off and missing some shows. I was at L'amours Brooklyn so many times in those years as well as all kinds of different places on Long Island and in the city as well it becomes hard to remember which show was which 40 years later. When the first kid came along in 1990 then that was it, I started working two jobs and shows became a rare treat that needed to be planned well in advance. That meant no more just hop in the car start driving and then open the Good Times paper to see who was playing where and figure out which direction we needed to head in. NY in the early 80's was a great time to come of age. The live music club scene back then was an unbelievable cornucopia of riches. Sometimes there'd be two or even three bands we wanted to see on the same night (if you count cover bands) and we'd have to pioritize. I should have written down the names of all the bands we saw and the dates of the various shows.

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/images/artists/cro-mags.jpg

An Interview with the Influential NYHC Band Leeway

Skins, Smack, and 'SNL': 80s New York Hardcore With Agnostic Front's Roger  Miret

Hardcore Legends Sheer Terror Take the Proud Boys Down a Notch | RVA Mag

....I remember seeing a few shows at The Ritz....

....my favorite places in the city were....

Gildersleeves....probably my favorite place in NYC

A7....missed a few of the great shows there but caught my fair share

Peppermint Lounge....really shitty bathroom

Danceteria.....not a ton of punk shows, but I did see Nick Cave and SWANS there...

Mudd Club....best place in Tribeca

...I think I saw CARNIVORE at The Ritz....I know I saw D.R.I. there and VENOM...

Yeah well you fled Carolina in your youth with the shirt on your back to come up north and live in the big city for a time on the lower east side, right? I was just a fluffy haired suburban kid who rode the train in from the Island with my friends sometimes on the weekends in our teens and early 20's because the city seemed dangerous and exciting to us. We'd come in ostensibly to catch metal shows but we'd always make a day of it. We'd catch the train around lunchtime, get into Penn Station in the early afternoon and just walk downtown to look at the freaks and see what we could find. We stopped into all kinds of little hole in the wall dives, don't remember the names of most of them. My buddy Steve took a liking to this place The Holiday on St Marks off 1st so often we'd head that general direction if we didn't have a real plan.

I don't think I've ever been to the Peppermint Lounge which I think was more of a new wave club than a metal club. We were metal kids that dabbled in a little punk and hardcore because it was something new and cool and different. Steve branched out got into post punk and new wave a little later, more towards the mid 80's but by that point we were a little older so he went on a lot of those excursions without me. He ran into this band from Queens VoG (pronounced vogue) and developed a little crush on the singer Ony Kaye, he used to follow them around and go to all their shows. He dragged me along once or twice but I wasn't too much into it myself so I stopped tagging along on Vog nights.

Never even heard of A7, I take it that was more of a real hardcore joint.

I've definitely been to Danceteria and Gildersleeves, really not sure about the Mudd Club though. I've heard of it but it closed in '83 and I don't remember us spending much time on the other side of Canal St. We hung out in the Village mostly. Could have been to The Mudd Club though, Steve was usually the one with the plan in our early days '79 to '84. He was the alchy, he just wanted to get wherever we were going so he could start drinking. I was probably stoned so I was cool letting him set the course.                                                                                          

There were a shit ton of cover bands playing the suburban LI club circuit in the early 80's as well, or bands that played covers and originals mixed like Twisted SIster and Swift Kick so we'd just stay closer to home and do that a lot of nights too. By '84 - '85 most of our trips into the city were either to L'amourz or The Ritz, (which if anyone isn't aware was the old Studio 54 70's disco repurposed as an 80's live music venue) We saw a ton of shows at each. I'll never forget the green Rolling Rock cans they served at The Ritz. And the seemingly endless flights of stairs we had to stumble down to get to the bathrooms. We were a bunch of drunken rowdy kids in black t-shirts and they always had these old men bathroom attendants passing out paper towels to us all as we stood at the sinks rinsing beer and piss off our hands. Funny the stupid shit you remember sometimes.

....not Carolina, but close....I grew up in VA....moved to the NY in 82/83....Alphabet City was a trip back then...it had already started to become more tame by then but it was still the wild west some days...I saw a lot of crazy shit back then....I was lucky to have my own place and didn't have to live in a squat...although I spent much of my time at my friends squats....I remember the MINOR THREAT guys were staying at one of my friends squat once before or after their show...and some dude was always coming around to get drugs for Basquiat, supposedly....don't know if that was true or not....

....I also remember this crazy-ass dude who was always walking up and down my block screaming at peeps and yelling at himself in some bizarre argument that only he knew about...he apparently was murdered and was found on a stoop with a plastic bag on his head and covered in a bunch of stab wounds....

...I'm surprised you never heard of A7.....everybody played there back in the day....AF, SHEER TERROR, MURPHY'S LAW, BAD BRAINS, etc......

....do you remember Rock Hotel before it moved to the Ritz ?.......

You mean before it moved to 11th St in the Webster Hall space when it was all the way over on Jane St by the West Side Highway? No, I don't specifically remember going to any shows over there. Not sure when they moved it but going off the posters it seems in 1985 there were Rock Hotel shows at Jane St in July and also at The RItz in December. The dude behind Rock Hotel Chris Williamson produced the Cro-Mags album so he got them on the bill of as many shows as he could. Seems it wasn't until April '89 when they moved it up to the former Studio 54 in the theatre district.

Flaming Pablum: Which Way to the Rock Hotel?Flaming Pablum: Which Way to the Rock Hotel?Flaming Pablum: Which Way to the Rock Hotel?

18 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

You mean before it moved to 11th St in the Webster Hall space when it was all the way over on Jane St by the West Side Highway? No, I don't specifically remember going to any shows over there. Not sure when they moved it but going off the posters it seems in 1985 there were Rock Hotel shows at Jane St in July and also at The RItz in December. The dude behind Rock Hotel Chris Williamson produced the Cro-Mags album so he got them on the bill of as many shows as he could. Seems it wasn't until April '89 when they moved it up to the former Studio 54 in the theatre district.

Flaming Pablum: Which Way to the Rock Hotel?Flaming Pablum: Which Way to the Rock Hotel?Flaming Pablum: Which Way to the Rock Hotel?

...that BAD BRAINS show I do remember....but holy shit...where was I for that RAMONES  show?.....I might've been back in VA when that show happened...same with that MOTORHEAD/W.O.W. show....both of those would've been amazing....

...I remember seeing GBH many times at the Ritz and also at City Gardens over in Jersey...the best show I saw of them was at this bar in Boston called The Ratskellar or Rathskeller....cool place....hard to get to because of the traffic...but worth it....

On 5/18/2021 at 3:26 PM, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

FAITH

VOID

JAWBOX

MINOR THREAT

RITES OF SPRING

SCREAM

TEEN IDLES

IRON CROSS

Hey man, were you in high school in the DC area by any chance?  I graduated from McLean (not Langley FFS) IN '84. Funny, LIz Chaney was in my graduating class-DOH!

2 hours ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

....no...I grew up in the Shenandoah Valley....not far from Charlottesville....but I went up to DC all the time....saw quite a few shows around DC...mainly at 930 and DC Space....but I also remember a place called the Wax Museum....I'm sure there were some others in forgetting....

Ah, went to JMU so I know the Shenandoah Valley-beautiful place. Skyline Drive, Big Meadows. 

30 minutes ago, markm said:

Ah, went to JMU so I know the Shenandoah Valley-beautiful place. Skyline Drive, Big Meadows. 

Stayed at a timeshare near Harrisonburg once. I always take I-81 when headed to points south and cut down I-77 through Charlotte as an alternative to I-95. Pretty pastoral part of the country with the rolling hills and dairy farms but I could see how a young man would want to leave in search of bigger and better things in  the big apple. 

49 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Stayed at a timeshare near Harrisonburg once. I always take I-81 when headed to points south and cut down I-77 through Charlotte as an alternative to I-95. Pretty pastoral part of the country with the rolling hills and dairy farms but I could see how a young man would want to leave in search of bigger and better things in  the big apple. 

...let me guess....Massanutten Ski Resort....did you ever check out Wintergreen Resort?....that's closer to where I grew up....