Why some people like (,or dislike) Nu metal?

DirtyParadox

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Cabbage's story in particular about the "syncopated beats associated with Satan" when he was a young lad of just 9 years old I found quite interesting but also incredibly maddening. Imagine how twisted these church people must've been to go after a little kid for simply listening to rock oldies? That's fucking insane!! And this would have been roughly 1995, not back in the dark ages of the 1950's when it was commonly believed by normies in large swaths of this country that rock & roll was the work of Satan. 🙄

Oh, believe me, this town was permanently stuck in the 1950's. The school had refused to stop using Bob Jones University issued textbooks. If you know anything about Bob Jones U and their supreme court battle you'll promptly realize these people weren't even worth the time to try and fight with. Absolutely delusional clueless reprobates, the lot of them. I honestly really only caught the least of it, and my parents knew what was going on and exactly why they were constantly inventing ways to give me detention or failed assignments.

The sad part of it was that there was another kid in class who was getting the same treatment, and he had been living there his entire life. Needless to say this kids self esteem and social functionality was absolutely shot. Dead. Stick a fork in it. Not coming back. I kinda took him up as a friend cause this kid had absolutely nobody. His family was a pack of imbeciles who thought beating his dog to death with a shovel in front of him was an appropriate punishment for him acting out. When my family finally got secured for the move away, because they were literally running us out of town and rumors about driving us out were only going to make the last month or so harder on us and escalate things, I was told not to tell anybody at school, church, or the local gas station until the day of. I was accustomed to leaving friends behind by then having been through many moves before. Honestly I could handle it by that point, but I still remember stopping by this kids place on our way out, and breaking the news to him that way. That one really stung.

4 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Well you see Blivvington, what happened was I had typed a response to someone who had quoted me, completey unaware of all the drama that was going on. And then I posted it, only to immediately rethink it when I saw what'd happened, because at that point I thought it better to let a dead horse lie. But there's no delete button here, my choices were: report, share, edit. So I edited my post and didn't want to just leave it blank, because blank posts are kinda weird. So at 7:20 am after being up all night I figured I should probably just say something brief and go to bed and that's what I came up with. I'm sure you would have been less pleased with the original post I had made in that slot.

Not sure what you mean by "blameless" though, I for one rather enjoyed all the various different discussions that took place on this thread yesterday. I do enjoy the What Are You Listening to Now thread quite a bit as you've probably surmised, but sometimes it can be fun to get into some actual stimulating conversations with my fellow forum members. Cabbage's story in particular about the "syncopated beats associated with Satan" when he was a young lad of just 9 years old I found quite interesting but also incredibly maddening. Imagine how twisted these church people must've been to go after a little kid for simply listening to rock oldies? That's fucking insane!! And this would have been roughly 1995, not back in the dark ages of the 1950's when it was commonly believed by normies in large swaths of this country that rock & roll was the work of Satan. 🙄 If something like that were ever to happen around my 9 year old I would be out of my mind with rage. I just hope someone close to me would be abe to calm me down and talk some sense into me before I went down to that school and did something stupid. 

The discussion shifted in an interesting direction that’s true, blameless referred to antagonising the kid, though they take the lions share for handling that situation so poorly. For future reference since I do think it’s weird we don’t have a delete button for regular uses. If you ever have a post you would rather delete upon reflection, just edit it to tag one of the moderators and we can do that for you.

i’m hardly surprised, religious wackos would head down that path. Unfortunately, I mean, let us not forget. I’m the man who had the witnesses tell him the only reason I’m blind, is because I haven’t excepted God into my life…

Wow, this thread really took off since the last time I posted on it!

Sad to see that Dark Metal Geek guy get so upset.  I, for one, still like nu metal quite a bit.  I love Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, and Disturbed and listen to all of them fairly regularly.  But I completely understand other metalheads thinking the entire sub genre sucks.  Oddly enough, the only nu metal band I can't get into is one of the biggest names of all - which is Korn.  For some reason, their stuff is just boring to me.

Tetrarch is a young band doing the sub genre very well.  

I'm fully prepared for the pelting of the tomatoes that is undoubtedly coming my way for being a guy who loves nu metal!

15 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

3l3z.gif

Haha there it is!  And more quickly than expected!

Without turning this into a mush fest, I love this forum and am exceedingly glad I stumbled upon it a couple of years ago.  I've gotten entertainment and laughs aplenty.  This morning, I unashamedly guffawed at Mr. GG's comment about how Macabre was probably slipping Mrs. Macabre the "jolly roger".  

Happy to be part of the metal community, and happy listening, my fellow metalheads!

23 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I’m hardly surprised, religious wackos would head down that path. Unfortunately, I mean, let us not forget, I’m the man who had the witnesses tell him the only reason I’m blind, is because I haven’t accepted God into my life…

See now that's just nuts. Sometimes it really amazes me that no one else seems to be up in arms or filled with righteous indignation that we as a society are so content to just look the other way and let these dangerously unhinged theist lunatics walk around in public alongside the rest of us openly spewing their hatred and theist nonsense uncheked and unregulated. We should at least have a registry so we can keep an eye on them and track their movements. We already track the Muslim terrorists here in the states, as well as the S.O.'s, so why not the Christian terrorists as well?

It's like most people won't want to even aknowledge that there's a problem until it's too late. How many rights will we let them take from us until we make a stand? You can't stand up and openly proclaim to be an atheist in my country because that's seen as a very unpopular position here and there would be negative social and/or economic repercussions. So most atheists keep their mouths shut and their heads down and fly under the radar, taking the path of least resistance. But this seems like bizarro backwards world to me, because shouldn't it be the other way around? Shouldn't the theists be the ones who have to hide their crazy beliefs in shame and keep their intolerance and insanity on the d/l? As with many things in this country it's just another case of the tail wagging the dog. A vocal minority getting their way simply because they make the most noise and people can't be bothered to stand up to them unless it directly affects them personally.

16 hours ago, DarkMetalGeek said:

Never waste your time trying to explain yourself to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

I get you.  You want us to not display our hatred or dislike of something.  The old "If you don't have anything positive to say, then don't say anything."

I personally think it's only human to display all attitudes be they like or dislike.

17 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

Once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away I went on a band's forum. I cannot remember which one, it may have been Metallica. It was horrible and consisted primarily of "Metallica rulz!" on every topic. Forums where everyone agrees with each other seem the most pointless form of communication in history. 

I've seen lots of forums and social media like this on a variety of topics.  Basically they are vapid echo chambers full of people circle jerking.

But to be honest everyone hating on something is also a vapid echo chamber.

On this forum we get different opinions which is awesome! 

1 hour ago, JamesT said:

Wow, this thread really took off since the last time I posted on it!

Sad to see that Dark Metal Geek guy get so upset.  I, for one, still like nu metal quite a bit.  I love Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, and Disturbed and listen to all of them fairly regularly.  But I completely understand other metalheads thinking the entire sub genre sucks.  Oddly enough, the only nu metal band I can't get into is one of the biggest names of all - which is Korn.  For some reason, their stuff is just boring to me.

Tetrarch is a young band doing the sub genre very well.  

I'm fully prepared for the pelting of the tomatoes that is undoubtedly coming my way for being a guy who loves nu metal!

No dude, there won't be any tomatoes coming your way JT. It's totally cool that you dig nu-metal or Pantera or Lorna Shore whatever other silliness you might dig. No one cares what anyone else does or doesn't want to listen to, that's entirely up to the individual. Many of us here have some pretty diverse tastes and yet we all generally manage to get along pretty well. You and I for instance have very different taste in music but yet we've never had any beef between us over it. Because we both respect each other and we're both much more interested in finding common ground and seeing where we can come together and find stuff to agree on like Overkill and Candlemass. And that Korn blows!

Problems only arise when someone gets all butt-hurt and wants to start a ruckus because someone might have said something negative about some band(s) or maybe even an entire sub-genre they happen to like. So like for example you could go back through my old posts and see where I might've made some negative comments about Limp Bizkunt or Balloon-knot or some bands like that who you might happen to like. But you're not an idiot so you understand that my comments were just my own opinions and they're no reflection on you or any other people who might also like these bands. You're not going to take my contempt for Balloon-knot's music as a personal attack. You understand that in any community of metalheads it's a given that different people will have different tastes. We're not all gonna like all the same shit. And that's OK because we all respect each other's rights to have our own differing opinions.  

So no raincoat or protective gear needed JT, you can rest easy and continue to let your true colors show without fear of reprisal. Or tomatoes.

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

You want to be thankful he's too old to work out how to post an animated gif!

Cunt Stfu GIF - Cunt STFU Shutup - Discover & Share GIFs

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Problems only arise when someone gets all butt-hurt and wants to start a ruckus because someone might have said something negative about some band(s) or maybe even an entire sub-genre they happen to like.

Has anyone here visited 'Your Favourite Band Sucks' website? If you want to get butt hurt by opinionated turds railing your favourite band this is the place. Enough metal bands I don't like are dealt with to amuse.

But their act wears thin after a while. In the end they hate everything and everyone and who the fuck are they anyway?

9 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Has anyone here visited 'Your Favourite Band Sucks' website? If you want to get butt hurt by opinionated turds railing your favourite band this is the place. Enough metal bands I don't like are dealt with to amuse.

But their act wears thin after a while. In the end they hate everything and everyone and who the fuck are they anyway?

It's a podcast too. I've heard it but it's all well known mainstream bands they're roasting so it has limited appeal. Because when you don't like a band like Pantera or Rush or Pearl Jam it might be fun to hear someone roast them for 5 minutes or so, but I don't want to spend a whole fucking hour thinking about bands I don't even like.

17 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I started listening to Mastodon one but got bored of it within a couple of minutes as they harped on about face tattoos and the band looking like they smelt.

I was hoping for a more meaty attack on their music.

Like most podcasts, it's just a couple of numbnuts loving the sound of their own voice.  

23 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

No dude, there won't be any tomatoes coming your way JT. It's totally cool that you dig nu-metal or Pantera or Lorna Shore whatever other silliness you might dig. No one cares what anyone else does or doesn't want to listen to, that's entirely up to the individual. Many of us here have some pretty diverse tastes and yet we all generally manage to get along pretty well. You and I for instance have very different taste in music but yet we've never had any beef between us over it. Because we both respect each other and we're both much more interested in finding common ground and seeing where we can come together and find stuff to agree on like Overkill and Candlemass. And that Korn blows!

Problems only arise when someone gets all butt-hurt and wants to start a ruckus because someone might have said something negative about some band(s) or maybe even an entire sub-genre they happen to like. So like for example you could go back through my old posts and see where I might've made some negative comments about Limp Bizkunt or Balloon-knot or some bands like that who you might happen to like. But you're not an idiot so you understand that my comments were just my own opinions and they're no reflection on you or any other people who might also like these bands. You're not going to take my contempt for Balloon-knot's music as a personal attack. You understand that in any community of metalheads it's a given that different people will have different tastes. We're not all gonna like all the same shit. And that's OK because we all respect each other's rights to have our own differing opinions.  

So no raincoat or protective gear needed JT, you can rest easy and continue to let your true colors show without fear of reprisal. Or tomatoes.

Cunt Stfu GIF - Cunt STFU Shutup - Discover & Share GIFs

I appreciate that entire post, my friend.  I truly enjoy our interactions on here.  And yes, it's deeply satisfying that we share bands like Overkill and Candlemass in common!  

And you're completely right!  I don't take any offense at someone else's disdain for those aforementioned nu metal bands (or any other bands, for that matter).  Heck, I completely understand it.  I also enjoy reading the different names you come up with for some of these bands.  I could sit here at my computer and think for hours and still not be able to come up with that stuff!  I'm just not creative in the slightest.  

At the bottom line, you summed it up perfectly.  I completely respect your choice of music, even if a genre like black metal isn't my thing, personally.  I do enjoy listening to Immortal and Emperor on some occasions, so I guess I get a few brownie points?  

Have a great night, Mr. GG!

33 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

*lobs cabbage.

Cabbage are much easier to dodge than 'maters. A young agile dude like JT would easily be able to avoid a direct hit. And they're much less messy too. Lob a few cabbages and we'll pick them up and be making cole slaw over here. Tomatoes would just splatter and get their gelatinous goo all over everything, there'd be no way to use them. So go ahead, keep chucking them cabbages, I'll make some dressing.

32 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Cabbage are much easier to dodge than 'maters. A young agile dude like JT would easily be able to avoid a direct hit. And they're much less messy too. Lob a few cabbages and we'll pick them up and be making cole slaw over here. Tomatoes would just splatter and get their gelatinous goo all over everything, there'd be no way to use them. So go ahead, keep chucking them cabbages, I'll make some dressing.

*lobs jar of sauerkraut.

And yes, I do carry that in my inner jacket pocket at all times. Come to think of it the smell might be why I don't have many friends.

• 7 months later...