Why some people like (,or dislike) Nu metal?

DirtyParadox

I personally love some Nu-Metal artists (Disturbed and Evanescence ) but from my understanding from what people have said and my experience with alternative rock, is that some people just don't like the fact that it's labeled metal when it is only a tiny bit more metal then other rock genres. It's also annoying when people go around acting as if they know so much about metal when they only listen to alternative, which is a sub-genre that does not give justice to the whole metal genre.

It's not my favorite, though I have a soft spot for System of a Down on rare occasions.  I think the hate probably stems from the genre's adoption of a more commercial/rock/rap sound.  The people who hate it the most are probably those who are also very concerned about remaining in the "underground."

• 5 months later...

I love nu metal. Most people tend to think or Linkin Park or Limp Bizkit first when anyone mentions nu metal which is a shame as there are some great bands in the sub genre like One Minute Silence, Mushroomhead, Ill Nino, Flaw, Deftones and Soulfly. Because it went mainstream in the late 90's and early 2000's some metal fans can not like it because they are programmed like robots (no free mind of there own) to hate everything that is mainstream.  

• 1 year later...

Honestly I know I need to explore other subgenres way more but I just have such a soft spot for nu-metal. I find it so energetic as a general rule.

System Of A Down and Korn are becoming some of my favourite bands lately, got to see Korn live at Download 2022 which was incredible. Slipknot is obviously a big one.

What kind of sound are you looking for? A few songs I'd recommend off the top of my head would be Jumpdafuckup (Soulfy ft. Corey Taylor), 7 Words by Deftones, and Blind by Korn (the "are you ready?" just always gets me pumped, it's like it was made to get a mosh pit going). There's so many more I love but those might give you a few places to start. 

You don't need to do anything. You can and should listen to whatever makes you happy.

But I think you'll find there aren't many of us here on the forum these days (of the members who post regularly) who have any interest in or can even tolerate nu-metal. I have no use for it myself. So you might be on your own here. I have seen new people join and post nu-metal stuff every now and then but the response is generally crickets. There was one teenage girl quite recently who seemed to like all that kind of crap, maybe you two can get together and trade recos.

Also, replying to threads from two or more years ago is probably a waste of time because these posters you're giving recos to have long since moved on.

On 10/10/2022 at 10:38 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

You don't need to do anything. You can and should listen to whatever makes you happy.

But I think you'll find there aren't many of us here on the forum these days (of the members who post regularly) who have any interest in or can even tolerate nu-metal. I have no use for it myself. So you might be on your own here. I have seen new people join and post nu-metal stuff every now and then but the response is generally crickets. There was one teenage girl quite recently who seemed to like all that kind of crap, maybe you two can get together and trade recos.

Also, replying to threads from two or more years ago is probably a waste of time because these posters you're giving recos to have long since moved on.

Oh crap sorry didn't even look at the date to be honest I was just exploring the site a bit. 

I mean I guess need was the wrong word, just wanna be a bit more well-rounded I guess.

• 1 month later...

Growing up in the late 90s/early 2000s, Nu Metal was like the "background music" of life to me lol not because I was into Nu Metal but because it was everywhere: Radio, MTV, movies, some of my friends listened to Nu Metal bands, even one of my sisters was a big Linkin Park fan back then.

So some Nu Metal songs take me back to those days, and it's a good feeling. But don't ask me to listen to a full Papa Roach album lol  however, that song from the Resident Evil movie trailer? Not Listening? I can loop that song for a while. The 2000s certainly were something!

• 4 months later...

The general hate for Nu-Metal stems from a lot of things. A lot of people didn't like the fusing of Hip Hop in the genre, how much it realized on simple chugging riffs and the lyrics that could sometimes come off as edgy in a way that could be taken as a joke (there is good edge and also bad edge). Another big reason was overexposure. Nu-Metal was everywhere once Korn blew up in 98 and there was just SO much of it around. People tend to forget that Korn were superstars once Follow the Leader shot to the top of the charts. People were literally running on the streets and chasing their car and buses to get their autographs. And once Linkin Park came around and Hybrid Theory shot that out of the park, it just became too much. In a way, it was like Disco back in the 70's were it just got oversaturated. 

And just like any other genre, there were bands that a lot of people really think should have never gotten the success they got for being really bad. Bands like Crazy Town, (həd) p.e., Staind, etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was around then and fucking hated it then and hate fucking it now to the point I could send some of its leading players onto a bombing range when the air force are practicing carpet bombing.  

First of all most of it's not even metal eg stuff like Spineshank or Paparoach or Deftones or Linkin fucking Park or whatever was alternative rock not metal based.  Even Korn doesn't really do metal music.

Second I hate how it was rammed down our throats whilst the mainstream media smashed real metal.  Really I couldn't buy an Iron Maiden album anywhere but Limp Bizkit were everywhere.

Third, I hate how fucking trendy it was.  It was all so contrived.  It was very corporate in essence - most of the bands formed and had new albums on major labels within a year.  Eg even Korn only formed in 1993 and had an album out on a major label by 1994 or Linkin Park who were essentially a manufactured band.

Fourth, I hate how Facebook tries to ram nu-metal down my throat again cause mainstream media like Metal Hammer and Loudwire are trying to make it "come back" because they are vapid fucks without an original idea in their stupid heads and because Facebook algorithms don't understand difference between metal subgenres.  They too would end on the bombing range.

I do like System of a Down's first album but that was more prog/avant garde punk than numetal.  Nothing against rap and rock mixing - first Rage Against The Machine album is superb.

I'm in the minority here, and I'm okay with that.  I enjoy quite a bit of nu metal still.  A newer band doing it really well are called Tetrarch.  Fantastic stuff.  I also still love the Limp Bizkit albums from back in the day.  I was never a Korn fan, but I enjoy Slipknot's music regularly.  Other bands that seemed to get lumped in with that label, such as Disturbed and Godsmack, are also favorites of mine.  As someone who was born in 1990, a lot of this stuff was up-and-coming right around the time I was in middle school, and it does take me back to a simpler time.  

• 1 month later...

There’s really not much to say, much like melodic metal core. It’s a genre where the metal element is heavily toned down in favour of a more marketable sound. I understand that will appeal to some people, but I’m not one of them and pretty much stick to the rule but if anyone says their favourite metal bands are lorn, slipknot, and disturbed they are either teenagers/young adults, or aren’t really that into metal to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...

It was new and became popular so old metalheads of course hated it. It hit the sweet spot for me because I just hit my teens as Slipknot, SOAD, Kittie, and Korn became popular. It was a breath of fresh air because other popular acts like Megadeth and Metallica started to become stale at that point.

On 5/18/2023 at 5:15 PM, Skittler said:

It was new and became popular so old metalheads of course hated it. It hit the sweet spot for me because I just hit my teens as Slipknot, SOAD, Kittie, and Korn became popular. It was a breath of fresh air because other popular acts like Megadeth and Metallica started to become stale at that point.

I hated it because most of it wasn't metal but it was being marketed as such and because the "metal" media ditched all real metal in favour of this new mainstream stuff.

As for staleness, sure thrash and death was a bit overdone.  But you had plenty of interesting stuff happening in mid-late 1990s - melodic Swedish death metal ala In Flames, Dark Tranquillity etc, symphonic black metal ala Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Emperor, weird stuff like Strapping Young Lad, power metal ala Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, prog-thrash of Nevermore and death metal bands like Cryptopsy and Death doing interesting stuff.

All ignored by so-called metal fans and so-called metal media.

Once again we see a variation on the tired old strawman "metalheads just hated it because it was popular" meme. No. We hated it 'cause it sucked leaky ass. We metalheads were pissed off that it became popular while all the shit we thought was good was relegated to obscurity. If something we really liked ever became popular most of us would be cool with that. But that doesn't seem to happen like ever.

So basically we're pissed off that the world has such shitty taste. It's the same with anything. I don't hate McDonalds and Burger King because they're popular and have sold 50 billion burgers. I hate them because they sell shit food. I don't hate Budweiser and Coors because they're popular and have sold billions of cases, I hate them because they're piss water swill. Why is this hard to understand?

4 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Once again we see a variation on the tired old strawman "metalheads just hated it because it was popular" meme. No. We hated it 'cause it sucked leaky ass. We metalheads were pissed off that it became popular while all the shit we thought was good was relegated to obscurity. If something we really liked ever became popular most of us would be cool with that. But that doesn't seem to happen like ever.

So basically we're pissed off that the world has such shitty taste. It's the same with anything. I don't hate McDonalds and Burger King because they're popular and have sold 50 billion burgers. I hate them because they sell shit food. I don't hate Budweiser and Coors because they're popular and have sold billions of cases, I hate them because they're piss water swill. Why is this hard to understand?

This, the world is telling me Foster’s rocks while I’m drinking James Squire. Wait that analogy isn’t the best, Aussie beer just kinda sucks. What was my point again?

5 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

This, the world is telling me Foster’s rocks while I’m drinking James Squire. Wait that analogy isn’t the best, Aussie beer just kinda sucks. What was my point again?

The lager, the pale ale or the special edition porter?

I do remember going to the pub a few times when I was down there in Sydney to meet a dude I knew from the old forum and there being a dearth of choice. They had 5 or 6 beers on tap but they were all essentially the same thing. I asked Carlissimo which one he thought was the best and I just stuck with that one after trying 2 or 3 of them when we first got there.

While I personally like the genre, there are many problems with it. The music has not aged the best (limp bizkit anyone), it sometimes tried way too hard to be edgy, and many of the bands that showed the genre could be legitimately good either did the same thing over and over without much innovation, disturbed and korn being good examples, not releasing anything for over a decade (soad), or have moved on to other genres (deftones and to a lesser extent slipknot). I also think it’s sort of an acquired taste. As already mentioned, the genre incorporates elements of alternative as well as rap, and for someone like me who has experiences and an appreciation for both those genres as well as metal of course I'm going to like it (even if it’s far from my favorite), but for someone who doesn't, they’re probably not going to like it as much.

3 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

That Porter was pretty good actually, pa though is an ok summer beer. Sadly while Oz boasts bountiful brilliant boozes our beer isn’t one of them.

I can't agree. There's heaps of great Aussie beers, but you just don't get many on tap. And/or you've got to pick your boozer.

Oh, and Nu-metal sucks, of course.

53 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I can't agree. There's heaps of great Aussie beers, but you just don't get many on tap. And/or you've got to pick your boozer.

Oh, and Nu-metal sucks, of course.

I’ve tried a few, admittedly though I tend to seek out wine or whiskey more than beer. Also yes nu-metal, I’d call it rancid garbage but I think the trash might get offended.

21 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Good to see you're keeping metal gatekeeping and elitsim alive and only further proving what I said. You sound like an old man yelling at air about anything you don't consider "metal". A personal preferences to validate hating a genre is your choice but personally I am pretty open minded. I love when genres evolve and do different things. I can't imagine how much you probably hate Metalcore 😄. My taste is eclectic and I listen to all types of genres from Witch House, Synth Punk, Metal, Synthwave, Rock and I'll even do Trap and Hyperpop so I can respect all styles. Putting myself into a single box when it comes to a hobby I suppose to enjoy or hating other genres I don't deem worthy seems pretty foolish.

Nu Metal is suppose to be fun. It's 'jump da fuck' up music used for hype. When I workout it's perfect, when I played sports in school I listened to it. Don't overthink the genre guys. 

11 minutes ago, Skittler said:

Good to see you're keeping metal gatekeeping and elitsim alive and only further proving what I said. You sound like an old man yelling at air about anything you don't consider "metal". A personal preferences to validate hating a genre is your choice but personally I am pretty open minded. I love when genres evovle and do different things. My taste is eclectic and I listen to all type of genres from Witch House, Synth Punk, Metal, Synthwave, Rock and I'll even do Trap and Hyperpop so I can respect all styles. I couldn't imagine being this narrow minded when it comes to something I suppose to enjoy so much. 

Lol GG the Gatekeeper? Dude no one is saying you can’t listen to whatever you like. Guess I missed the memo which said liking metal meant blindly listening to everything even loosely related to it.

You want to play the innovation card? Ok but Fantomas, Strapping Young Lad, Edge of Sanity, and Emperor all did far more to advance heavy music than adding some hip hop elements to simple down tuned chugs. Eclectic taste? Please I’ve been awake an hour and already ran the gauntlet from classical to sludge, blues to avant-garde, so don’t mistake anyone’s taste for elitism.