Wintersun Crowdfunding - More Money Required!

Requiem

Well, I'm not sure if anyone here has seen this yet, but the Wintersun crowdfunding saga is far from over. 

A few years ago Wintersun ran a crowdfunding campaign which raised about $524,000US, for the express purpose of building an entirely new studio with sleeping quaters and all of the frills. Obviously, this raised a few eyebrows at the time, as Jari was claiming that he can't make the Wintersun albums he wants without a proper studio.

Anyway, apparently we were wrong about the plan, because now the story goes that they can't build the studio yet, and that they've always had a plan to run three (3) different crowdfunding campaigns. I've just checked the original video, and yes, they did claim that they were going to do three campaigns until they made 750,000 euros! 

And yes, they've now started a Patreon page as well, with a monthly subscription fee to watch live videos and behind the scenes footage. 

https://vimeo.com/407298479/ddff87cefc? ... &utm_term=

No new album. No new nothing. Just another crowdfunding campaign and now a patreon page. This is just too funny. The whole saga was a joke back when 'Time 2' was supposed to be out fifteen years ago, and it never eventuated.

Notice in the vimeo video that it's stated that the first crowdfunding campaign allowed 'The Forest Seasons' to be recorded and released. "Thanks to your huge support we released 'The Four Seasons' album". I double-checked the footage. Well, the fact is that 'The Forest Seasons' was already recorded and it was released initially to those who contributed to the campaign as a thank you! It wasn't recorded with the funds the campaign raised. The original crowdfunding price was 50 euros, with 'The Forest Seasons' being the big drawcard, then they went ahead and released it on CD anyway for about fifteen bucks hahaha. 

Apparently all they've been able to do is set up a temporary studio, which "part" of the first campaign contributed to. Where did the rest of the cash go? Yet they say in their original video that with heaps of cash they could make all their albums faster. Well, nothing has been released since 'The Forest Seasons' back in 2017, and yet they made over half a million US dollars. 

Here's the original crowdfunding info: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/wintersun-crowdfunding--3#/

Just an incredible, embarrassing, scenario, although it's reminded me about how good 'The Forest Seasons' actually is, and I'm now blasting it. Great album, and great band. Just sad to see them morph into this sad used-car marketing entity. 

11 hours ago, Requiem said:

Well, I'm not sure if anyone here has seen this yet, but the Wintersun crowdfunding saga is far from over. 

A few years ago Wintersun ran a crowdfunding campaign which raised about $524,000US, for the express purpose of building an entirely new studio with sleeping quaters and all of the frills. Obviously, this raised a few eyebrows at the time, as Jari was claiming that he can't make the Wintersun albums he wants without a proper studio.

Anyway, apparently we were wrong about the plan, because now the story goes that they can't build the studio yet, and that they've always had a plan to run three (3) different crowdfunding campaigns. I've just checked the original video, and yes, they did claim that they were going to do three campaigns until they made 750,000 euros! 

And yes, they've now started a Patreon page as well, with a monthly subscription fee to watch live videos and behind the scenes footage. 

https://vimeo.com/407298479/ddff87cefc? ... &utm_term=

No new album. No new nothing. Just another crowdfunding campaign and now a patreon page. This is just too funny. The whole saga was a joke back when 'Time 2' was supposed to be out fifteen years ago, and it never eventuated.

Notice in the vimeo video that it's stated that the first crowdfunding campaign allowed 'The Forest Seasons' to be recorded and released. "Thanks to your huge support we released 'The Four Seasons' album". I double-checked the footage. Well, the fact is that 'The Forest Seasons' was already recorded and it was released initially to those who contributed to the campaign as a thank you! It wasn't recorded with the funds the campaign raised. The original crowdfunding price was 50 euros, with 'The Forest Seasons' being the big drawcard, then they went ahead and released it on CD anyway for about fifteen bucks hahaha. 

Apparently all they've been able to do is set up a temporary studio, which "part" of the first campaign contributed to. Where did the rest of the cash go? Yet they say in their original video that with heaps of cash they could make all their albums faster. Well, nothing has been released since 'The Forest Seasons' back in 2017, and yet they made over half a million US dollars. 

Here's the original crowdfunding info: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/wintersun-crowdfunding--3#/

Just an incredible, embarrassing, scenario, although it's reminded me about how good 'The Forest Seasons' actually is, and I'm now blasting it. Great album, and great band. Just sad to see them morph into this sad used-car marketing entity. 

Thanks for the update. I can't believe this saga is still going on.i thought they would have had a studio with half million euros. Im a big fan of there music whenever they release any which is not very often. Your right it's a bit of a mess.   

I too liked the forest seasons even if it was imo not quite as good as previous album's. 2 things unlikely to happen anytime soon Englands football team lifting the world cup or time 2 being released ?    will definitely keep a track of this as big fan of winter sun. Thanks

5 minutes ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Thanks for the update. I can't believe this saga is still going on.i thought they would have had a studio with half million euros. Im a big fan of there music whenever they release any which is not very often. Your right it's a bit of a mess.   

I too liked the forest seasons even if it was imo not quite as good as previous album's. 2 things unlikely to happen anytime soon Englands football team lifting the world cup or time 2 being released ?    will definitely keep a track of this as big fan of winter sun. Thanks

As I do sympathize with musicians and artists who are trying to make money from their craft, and think its sad no one will buy your 10 -15 cd, mp3 or mp4s, that can last virtually forever, people will buy a your shirt for 20. This usually just helps larger bands who can tour on a tour.
I though it was strange he need3ed a whole studio also, but I thought well perhaps he would help out other smaller bands to get their stuff recorded as well.
I think Jari is just trying to get money from any platform because in this day an age people are making money form random things they do on pateron (I think the whole thing is dumb).
I understand his want to try to make this in to a living, but at the same time musicians are doing alot more with alot less and it feels insulting to most of us.
I do think encouraging people to buy music again would be helpful in all this, otherwise we may see more attempts of this.
People who want to make music will, but having income from it is nice. Music should never be about the money, but also its not good to never support the artist enjoy and is important to you also.

I dont think pateron or crowdfunding is the way to go at all.

Shortly after posting this someone from Missouri tried to hack my account three times apparently. Jari's mafia henchmen? Fuck off cowardly criminal scum. 

I guess it's not that Jari or anyone wants to make money from music. Money is great - who wouldn't want to? It's just that it's all a bit shady - the concept of needing enough fan donated money to actually purchase land and build a studio with residential/sauna/living areas or else Wintersun can't make their albums properly is what sticks in people's craw.

As a business idea, building your own studio/house is a pretty good one - taking subscriptions to build things. It was a popular approach in the 19th century for buildings, churches, clubs etc. But it's the strange excuses and justifications, added to the hilarity of the 'Time' albums' delay, that makes the whole thing strange. For instance, Jari hit back at critics who asked where the first $700k had been spent, by telling them that when they buy a can of coke they don't demand to know where the Coca Cola company spends that money. Strange, false dichotomies like that... 

On 6/11/2020 at 11:03 PM, Requiem said:

Shortly after posting this someone from Missouri tried to hack my account three times apparently. Jari's mafia henchmen? Fuck off cowardly criminal scum. 

I guess it's not that Jari or anyone wants to make money from music. Money is great - who wouldn't want to? It's just that it's all a bit shady - the concept of needing enough fan donated money to actually purchase land and build a studio with residential/sauna/living areas or else Wintersun can't make their albums properly is what sticks in people's craw.

As a business idea, building your own studio/house is a pretty good one - taking subscriptions to build things. It was a popular approach in the 19th century for buildings, churches, clubs etc. But it's the strange excuses and justifications, added to the hilarity of the 'Time' albums' delay, that makes the whole thing strange. For instance, Jari hit back at critics who asked where the first $700k had been spent, by telling them that when they buy a can of coke they don't demand to know where the Coca Cola company spends that money. Strange, false dichotomies like that... 

On 6/8/2020 at 1:12 AM, MetallValkyrien said:

As I do sympathize with musicians and artists who are trying to make money from their craft, and think its sad no one will buy your 10 -15 cd, mp3 or mp4s, that can last virtually forever, people will buy a your shirt for 20. This usually just helps larger bands who can tour on a tour.
I though it was strange he need3ed a whole studio also, but I thought well perhaps he would help out other smaller bands to get their stuff recorded as well.
I think Jari is just trying to get money from any platform because in this day an age people are making money form random things they do on pateron (I think the whole thing is dumb).
I understand his want to try to make this in to a living, but at the same time musicians are doing alot more with alot less and it feels insulting to most of us.
I do think encouraging people to buy music again would be helpful in all this, otherwise we may see more attempts of this.
People who want to make music will, but having income from it is nice. Music should never be about the money, but also its not good to never support the artist enjoy and is important to you also.

I dont think pateron or crowdfunding is the way to go at all.

For me after reading one of wintersun statements the pateron thing is just another way to support wintersun. I assume other bands do this all the time although pateron is new to me. It's not like you have to sign up and it's entirety voluntary. Maybe more bands will do things like pateron in the future with Corona situation stopping tours. I agree though bands need support in this day where not so many actual albums are bought as mp3 or cds and most of it seems to be streamed.  I hope they will get a positive outcome so wintersun will release another album before too long. Not really decided if I will use it though. 

On 6/13/2020 at 2:35 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

For me after reading one of wintersun statements the pateron thing is just another way to support wintersun. I assume other bands do this all the time although pateron is new to me. It's not like you have to sign up and it's entirety voluntary. Maybe more bands will do things like pateron in the future with Corona situation stopping tours. I agree though bands need support in this day where not so many actual albums are bought as mp3 or cds and most of it seems to be streamed.  I hope they will get a positive outcome so wintersun will release another album before too long. Not really decided if I will use it though. 

The issue with pateron is that its a waste, what do you really get? Do we really want all bands to turn into EA? While theres something wrong with currently not buying the music to begin with. For smaller bands especially metal it makes a difference.