Jump to content
Sign in to stalk this  
MetallValkyrien

Traditional Folk Instrments

Recommended Posts

I'm not too into most folk metal, but I love the sound of the traditional instruments in Nordic folk and neo-folk (Hedningarna, Garmarna, Groupa) and newer stuff like Wardruna and the collaboration that Einar Selvik has with Ivar from Enslaved.

As far as playing them goes, I mean, good luck, hopefully you can make progress towards proficiency on some of them if you're diligent with practice. Do you have access to any of the instruments or people who know about playing them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2020 at 5:27 PM, FatherAlabaster said:

I'm not too into most folk metal, but I love the sound of the traditional instruments in Nordic folk and neo-folk (Hedningarna, Garmarna, Groupa) and newer stuff like Wardruna and the collaboration that Einar Selvik has with Ivar from Enslaved.

As far as playing them goes, I mean, good luck, hopefully you can make progress towards proficiency on some of them if you're diligent with practice. Do you have access to any of the instruments or people who know about playing them?

I am right now just messing around on some, learning how the scales are. I may search some online sources and watch some people playing it, then just keep at it. XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2020 at 6:57 PM, GorboGorboze said:

I have a hammered dulcimer, and think it could be great for metal, I've wanted to get a pickup for it and try it with some petals, but have not yet.

Thats awesome I think hammer Dulcimers are also a good fit for some folk metal, I recently got a harp and just experimenting with it.
Have you played hammer dulcimer for a while?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2020 at 10:46 PM, MetallValkyrien said:

Thats awesome I think hammer Dulcimers are also a good fit for some folk metal, I recently got a harp and just experimenting with it.
Have you played hammer dulcimer for a while?

Sadly I rarely take the time to tune it which is a minor chore with all those strings, though thank goodness we are living in the age of the snark. The great thing is that it is very satisfying to play just on occasion as it easy to make it sound decent. I hope you won't think less of me when I admit that I have strips of papering propped under the strings saying what notes they are. It is like using training wheels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2020 at 6:11 PM, GorboGorboze said:

Sadly I rarely take the time to tune it which is a minor chore with all those strings, though thank goodness we are living in the age of the snark. The great thing is that it is very satisfying to play just on occasion as it easy to make it sound decent. I hope you won't think less of me when I admit that I have strips of papering propped under the strings saying what notes they are. It is like using training wheels.

That makes scene, I am useing a snark also in along with a keyboard to tune my strings instruments. I dont think less of you at all for having paper on the strings i actually think its a good idea, its like when in piano they put masking tape on the piano keys to learn the notes.
I am still learning more about my harp but i was having alot of fun with the peddles on it.
Do you know songs or written any on your hammer dulcimer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to stalk this  

  • Join Metal Forum

    joinus-home.jpg

  • Our picks

    • Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

      Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.


      There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

      Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

      3/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/50-queensryche-the-verdict/
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies

    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
×