What's the Best Record I Can Get from Belphegor?

JJWO

Question

I've been sampling a lot of tracks from these guys (on iTunes and YouTube) and they sound legit. I've been considering buying a few records from them, like "Totenritual", "Walpurgis Rites: Hexenwahn", and "Lucifer Incestus" - I just don't know which one I'm going to get... Maybe I'll get all of them! Who knows..! What do you all know about Belphegor and what suggestions could you give me as far as they are concerned?

18 answers to this question

I feel like they were on fire for Lucifer Incestus, Goatreich: Fleshcult, and Pestapokalypse VI, with Pestapokalypse being my favorite of the three. I rarely listen to their older stuff, and everything I've heard after that run has sounded repetitive and a bit hollow to my ears; on the other hand, I'm easily put off by those kinds of impressions, and you might enjoy it a bunch. They were a surprisingly good live act when I caught them ten or eleven years ago.

Belphegor for me have a lot of great songs, but not a lot of great albums, "Bondage Goat Zombie" is a great track, but the rest of the album to me is forgettable, I think most of the best songs are on Lucifer Incestus… I remember hearing them the first time I think was on a terrorizer cd, "Hell's Ambassador" - quality song, now when I buy an album I really do hope that all of the music on it is in the same vein as the one track I've already heard and this certainly was the case with Pestapocalypse, but I dunno, none of the other tracks really stood out as AMAZING... So I guess my recommendation would be Lucifer Incestus

On 5/17/2020 at 8:07 PM, FatherAlabaster said:

Rotting Christ (honestly a disappointing set from one of my old favorites) and Immolation (absolutely ruled that evening). And looking back at it, that was a little more than twelve years ago. Yuck.

Immolation is definitely a favorite

4 hours ago, noblastbeats said:

I really feel Conjuring The Dead is a great album.  Its definitely my favourite.

cool, I'll check it out

3 hours ago, Sabazios said:

Belphegor for me have a lot of great songs, but not a lot of great albums, "Bondage Goat Zombie" is a great track, but the rest of the album to me is forgettable, I think most of the best songs are on Lucifer Incestus… I remember hearing them the first time I think was on a terrorizer cd, "Hell's Ambassador" - quality song, now when I buy an album I really do hope that all of the music on it is in the same vein as the one track I've already heard and this certainly was the case with Pestapocalypse, but I dunno, none of the other tracks really stood out as AMAZING... So I guess my recommendation would be Lucifer Incestus

Cool, Lucifer Incestus seemed to be more in the black metal phase, and their newer stuff seems to be more hardcore death metal... Maybe I should just get them track for track... Totenritual seems to be pretty good though

3 hours ago, JJWO said:

Immolation is definitely a favorite

cool, I'll check it out

Cool, Lucifer Incestus seemed to be more in the black metal phase, and their newer stuff seems to be more hardcore death metal... Maybe I should just get them track for track... Totenritual seems to be pretty good though

Yeah I'm listening to it now, always loved the production for Belphegor its consistently top drawer, these guys actually have had a bigger influence on my own writing than often I give them credit for, I regularly use the multi-layered melody style... See I'm listening to it now and I'm thinking, yeah it sounds fucking awesome. There's lots really good riffs in there, but a lack of legendary riffs... but then I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder... For example a legendary riff to me is 2:22 into "Soul Devourer" by Krisiun on Conquerors of Armageddon, or the opening riff to "Ye Entrance Emperium" - Emperor have many legendary riffs!

22 hours ago, Sabazios said:

Yeah I'm listening to it now, always loved the production for Belphegor its consistently top drawer, these guys actually have had a bigger influence on my own writing than often I give them credit for, I regularly use the multi-layered melody style... See I'm listening to it now and I'm thinking, yeah it sounds fucking awesome. There's lots really good riffs in there, but a lack of legendary riffs... but then I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder... For example a legendary riff to me is 2:22 into "Soul Devourer" by Krisiun on Conquerors of Armageddon, or the opening riff to "Ye Entrance Emperium" - Emperor have many legendary riffs!

Krisiun is one of my favorite bands, Ageless Venomous and Southern Storm and my favorite records from them. That's a good question though, is it better to have a record with all good songs, or to have a record with a few godlike songs and others that aren't really that good?.. I play music too, guitar mostly, where are you with your riffs and songs? 

to be completely honest, nearly all of my favourite bands have maybe 2 or 3 tracks on each album that I actually listen to, godlike songs I guess and the rest, I know appeal to other people, but to me is filler and that's absolutely fine with me, after all I strongly believe that the best bands write music for themselves first and foremost.  What is it that makes a riff legendary though? it's not technicality, because some of the best riffs are simplistic, but it's not uh... simple-ism? because some of the best riffs are incredibly complex... For me I am not a big technical guitarist, having played for about 24 years, I really should be better than I am, I personally favour song writing and structuring over uh... riff smithery? (Fantastically technical terms I'm using here! XD) I have written quite a few riffs though, that I would consider legendary, though the next person may think they're mediocre... Speaking of legendary riffs and Ageless Venomous, the third riff from "Dawn of Flagellation", am I right? Absolute belter!!!

48 minutes ago, JJWO said:

Krisiun is one of my favorite bands, Ageless Venomous and Southern Storm and my favorite records from them. That's a good question though, is it better to have a record with all good songs, or to have a record with a few godlike songs and others that aren't really that good?.. I play music too, guitar mostly, where are you with your riffs and songs? 

Gotta say I'm deeply opposed to filler, to the point that if I feel like bands are writing throwaway songs or using placeholder parts I'll lose a lot of respect for them. Obviously that's subjective. But if you've got three great songs and seven that don't make the cut, put out a three song EP, you know?

1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Gotta say I'm deeply opposed to filler, to the point that if I feel like bands are writing throwaway songs or using placeholder parts I'll lose a lot of respect for them. Obviously that's subjective. But if you've got three great songs and seven that don't make the cut, put out a three song EP, you know?

Absolutely, there are definitely loads of bands that just churn out music, with a lot of filler, but maybe sometimes what we consider filler the band feels is fulfilling... sometimes... 

20 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I agree, just make some singles or an EP

18 hours ago, Sabazios said:

Absolutely, there are definitely loads of bands that just churn out music, with a lot of filler, but maybe sometimes what we consider filler the band feels is fulfilling... sometimes... 

that's such a good point though, how can one determine what's a great track in another's mind?..

On 5/30/2020 at 5:28 PM, JJWO said:

that's such a good point though, how can one determine what's a great track in another's mind?..

I guess all we can do is have faith that the song(s) in question mean something to the artist or they're trying to do something that they believe in. Its what the artist wants to achieve vs what the fan considers to be an honest attempt to create good music.

9 hours ago, noblastbeats said:

I guess all we can do is have faith that the song(s) in question mean something to the artist or they're trying to do something that they believe in. Its what the artist wants to achieve vs what the fan considers to be an honest attempt to create good music.

Yeah, for instance, I'm listening to Opeth's Orchid right now... when I first heard it (more than 10 years ago) I didn't really like it... now, I'm really appreciating almost every part of it, so... who knows what will be a good album now and a good album tomorrow...

On 6/2/2020 at 12:17 AM, JJWO said:

Yeah, for instance, I'm listening to Opeth's Orchid right now... when I first heard it (more than 10 years ago) I didn't really like it... now, I'm really appreciating almost every part of it, so... who knows what will be a good album now and a good album tomorrow...

I wasnt impressed with Emperor when I first heard them 20 years ago and anthems was the album I heard! I now list that as one of my favourite albums, like top 3 probably... and that's difficult for me to say! Often the best releases grow on you

2 hours ago, Sabazios said:

I wasnt impressed with Emperor when I first heard them 20 years ago and anthems was the album I heard! I now list that as one of my favourite albums, like top 3 probably... and that's difficult for me to say! Often the best releases grow on you

cool, I'll check that out

On 6/4/2020 at 1:28 PM, Sabazios said:

I just reviewed some of the first songs off that Emperor record on itunes samples, and it sounds good.. a good standard black metal record. My old high school band used to be really into Emperor's Into the Nightside Eclipse and I bought the first track off that record... the first track really summarizes everything I would be looking for in that record (and I think sets a great standard for Black Metal)