When metal bands p*ssed off there fans by changing style ???????

blaaacdoommmmfan

On 4/25/2022 at 1:09 AM, JamesT said:

I've always been a fan of "St. Anger", and I'm not ashamed to say it.  I enjoy the rawness of the sound and appreciate Metallica making the effort to get back to ferocious heavy metal after the utter embarrassments of "Load" and "Reload".  

After speaking to you I decided to wipe my ideas of this album. I just listened to it  with zero expectations and and I too liked the rawness and high energy of the record. I find it bit repetitive and not biggest fan of nu metal sound with those alternative rock/Alice in chains bridges (well that's my opinion)but overall 👍from me. I like it more than load , reload, death magnetic and hardwired. 

On 4/13/2022 at 11:41 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

I'd forgotten about that one. It's called forbidden for a reason. 😉 Hopefully it improves. Let me know how you like 2nd half of album

I listened other day to st anger by Mettalica with zero expectations and I must say I liked it alot more than I was expecting. It was bit repetitive and some songs a bit long but I liked the energy. I used to hate that album. Now I appreciate the energy which reminded me of there glory days of thrash. There were punk, groove metal, nu metal bits but I still liked it somewhat

I listened to forbidden and I don't like it. Good singing and music but bit too much classic rock sound for me. It's forbidden for now from me collection. 😉

On 4/26/2022 at 2:46 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

After speaking to you I decided to wipe my ideas of this album. I just listened to it  with zero expectations and and I too liked the rawness and high energy of the record. I find it bit repetitive and not biggest fan of nu metal sound with those alternative rock/Alice in chains bridges (well that's my opinion)but overall 👍from me. I like it more than load , reload, death magnetic and hardwired. 

I listened to forbidden and I don't like it. Good singing and music but bit too much classic rock sound for me. It's forbidden for now from me collection. 😉

Awesome, glad to hear you liked it!  It doesn't have any guitar solos, but the heaviness is undeniable.  You can tell they were trying to reclaim the "metal" title after a couple of albums that didn't amount to much more than radio-friendly rock.  I'll always listen to it fairly regularly. 

On 4/28/2022 at 12:30 AM, JamesT said:

Awesome, glad to hear you liked it!  It doesn't have any guitar solos, but the heaviness is undeniable.  You can tell they were trying to reclaim the "metal" title after a couple of albums that didn't amount to much more than radio-friendly rock.  I'll always listen to it fairly regularly. 

You convinced me to listen to it. Thanks again James t. It's by no means my favourite album but I like it more than dislike. I certainly like it more than nearly all the stuff I hear on the radio. No solos. I think it would have been better with solos. I'd have thought it have been to do with idea going around at time that solos were not needed for nu metal. In fact I can't remember why bands didn't play solos deliberately. Definitely it's there heavy attempt. What genre do you call it. Is it nu/groove metal.  

On 4/24/2022 at 11:21 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

For st anger. Going in with no expectations helped. I switched it off on last track but I was amazed I got that far and enjoyed it overall even with those drums and it's bit repetitive. It's definitely worth another listen. Only one mind you. It was background music when I played it as I was doing some work. Maybe this helped. 

I will have to hear this black Sabbath album. I've heard some others say they like his vocals. It's difficult to follow Ozzy, Dio, Ian gillen. All legendary imo. 

It's hard going in with zero expectations after they released such classics, but I'll take you up on that and give you my thoughts when I can :)

No disrespect to Tony Martin but he cannot match the talent of his predecessors. He does try, though you'll be begging for anyone other than him on the album.

15 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

You convinced me to listen to it. Thanks again James t. It's by no means my favourite album but I like it more than dislike. I certainly like it more than nearly all the stuff I hear on the radio. No solos. I think it would have been better with solos. I'd have thought it have been to do with idea going around at time that solos were not needed for nu metal. In fact I can't remember why bands didn't play solos deliberately. Definitely it's there heavy attempt. What genre do you call it. Is it nu/groove metal.  

Let's face it, guitar solos were absent from most nu-metal in the 90's due to a lack of talent. When other bands who had guitar players quite capable of playing good guitar solos started not playing them either as a 'style choice' that's just plain dumb on their part. I remember from the SKOM movie Kirk was lobbying hard for them to rethink their no solos decision. Said it would forever date the album to that period. Personally I think they had other much more important issues with that album namely in the songwriting department. Songs went on forever and weren't in any way memorable or catchy. But that's just my opinion.

My question is with so many thousands of great metal albums in existence no matter what sub-genre you're into, why would anyone feel the need to play a turd like St Anger regularly? To each his own obviously, but what good is being 'heavy' again and having 'energy' when the songwriting on the album was such utter shyte? Album was so bad it made their self-titled seem almost good by comparison. Almost.

Nu metal was always heavily driven by the commercial side of the music industry, by definition that does somewhat preclude the genre from lengthy guitar solos there’s no mainstream appeal for that sort of thing. That is in no way a defence of the genre I’ve always maintained nothing good came of it. And as far as Metallica go I think the only album of theirs I find even remotely enjoyable these days is ride the lightning and even that I might play once a year. 

I don’t really have much to add as far as the actual topic goes, maybe Reinkaos for being a pretty substantial departure from what dissection had been doing to that point but I don’t really see the record criticised all that much.

35 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Nu metal was always heavily driven by the commercial side of the music industry, by definition that does somewhat preclude the genre from lengthy guitar solos there’s no mainstream appeal for that sort of thing. That is in no way a defence of the genre I’ve always maintained nothing good came of it. And as far as Metallica go I think the only album of theirs I find even remotely enjoyable these days is ride the lightning and even that I might play once a year. 

I don’t really have much to add as far as the actual topic goes, maybe Reinkaos for being a pretty substantial departure from what dissection had been doing to that point but I don’t really see the record criticised all that much.

I agree with you about RtL but I probably wouldn't even want to listen to the whole thing anymore, I might just cherry pick a few tracks every year or two, Creeping Death, Bell Tolls, the title track, Fight Fire... and then move onto something else. That's basically how I feel about most of the stuff I loved and played to death 35 years ago. It's weird how some music from back then just sticks with me forever and other stuff has worn out it's appeal.

I just didn't know about a shit ton of different metal bands back in the 80's (because there just weren't as many bands) so I played the ever loving shit out of whatever records I had managed to accumulate all throughout the 80's and I played the shit out of them all throughout the 90's as well. I played them until I ultimately found myself sick & tired of a lot of that stuff.

I realize a lot of younger people who weren't born yet or at least weren't rabid metalheads yet in the mid 80's will have had completely different experiences and perceptions with that same music from that era.

That's the way it seems to go at least for me. Some stuff just becomes part of your DNA and will be in the rotation forever. But there has also been heaps of stuff I've been totally fucking infatuated with at a certain point in time, much of which has faded away into little more than distant memories a decade or two or three later as my tastes have continued to change and evolve and I've discovered more and more bands that I've connected with on a much deeper level. In the 80's I was mostly just happy that someone had finally invented a heavier form of music than the 70's rock bands I'd grown up with. Now that I have so many more musical options I can really dial down into what speaks to me the clearest. 

I don't understand why those who dislike St Anger so much have a need question anyone who likes it. At one point or another most people involved in this conversation had said something along the lines of 'your taste, your choice' yet the need to question why someone listens to one particular album still arises.

Could it not simply be a case of curiosity? Obviously there is something about these albums that resonates with some people, maybe getting that perspective from some people might let a few of us appreciate certain albums? Besides this place would be pretty boring if the extent of the conversation surroundings bands and albums was just well you like it that’s your taste let’s leave it there. 

1 hour ago, KillaKukumba said:

I don't understand why those who dislike St Anger so much have a need question anyone who likes it. At one point or another most people involved in this conversation had said something along the lines of 'your taste, your choice' yet the need to question why someone listens to one particular album still arises.

I would say Kuke old boy that it's probably because we sometimes have trouble reconciling how other people could be so into something that we find so offensively unlistenable, especially when it's from a band we used to love at one time.

I agree 100% with the statement 'your taste, your ears, your choice.' But I don't see how questioning why people might like something is contradictory to that. You or anyone else is certainly fee to enjoy St Anger or any other album all day to your heart's content, you don't need my permission.

But you see this my friend is a metal forum. Discussing albums and sometimes saying negative things about them is par for the course, wouldn't you say? I honestly have never understood why some people seem to take it so personally when someone says they don't like or even can't stand something that they might happen to really like. Who cares? I certainly don't have that reaction when someone says they hate something that I might happen to love which happens quite frequently. I just figure they have different taste than I do.

So what's the big deal? Should only positive and complimentary comments be allowed? Or is it just the hyperbole and the specific words and phrases I choose to express my dislike of something that rubs you the wrong way?

On 5/2/2022 at 3:30 AM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

No problem!  I enjoy making recommendations and hearing that someone else found it rewarding.  That's a great question as to the genre that "St. Anger" would fall into.  I guess I've always just thought of it as straight-forward heavy metal and not really being characterized by any specific sub-genres.  Not sure, though!

What have you been listening to lately? 

On 5/3/2022 at 3:06 AM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

On 5/2/2022 at 11:58 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Let's face it, guitar solos were absent from most nu-metal in the 90's due to a lack of talent. When other bands who had guitar players quite capable of playing good guitar solos started not playing them either as a 'style choice' that's just plain dumb on their part. I remember from the SKOM movie Kirk was lobbying hard for them to rethink their no solos decision. Said it would forever date the album to that period. Personally I think they had other much more important issues with that album namely in the songwriting department. Songs went on forever and weren't in any way memorable or catchy. But that's just my opinion.

My question is with so many thousands of great metal albums in existence no matter what sub-genre you're into, why would anyone feel the need to play a turd like St Anger regularly? To each his own obviously, but what good is being 'heavy' again and having 'energy' when the songwriting on the album was such utter shyte? Album was so bad it made their self-titled seem almost good by comparison. Almost.

makes the world more interesting that some people hate something whilst others like the album.  With st anger it's a 6/10 album overall for me but there's alot of there other albums I prefer it to.You could say I'm not there biggest fan as die hard fans would like all there stuff whilst I mainly like the first 3 albums.  I agree st anger is bit repetitive, the lyrics are not exactly inspired all the time, the drums sound don't work for me and lack of solos. 😞A good few solo would have improved it alot. Still I like listening to it somewhat. 

On 5/5/2022 at 1:29 AM, JamesT said:

No problem!  I enjoy making recommendations and hearing that someone else found it rewarding.  That's a great question as to the genre that "St. Anger" would fall into.  I guess I've always just thought of it as straight-forward heavy metal and not really being characterized by any specific sub-genres.  Not sure, though!

What have you been listening to lately? 

Yeah it was a good recommendation. The songs are very good imo with the music video. Frantic i liked alot. I googled it and it's listed as metal/alt metal/nu metal/groove metal so we're all right. I can't see the metal tag but I can hear all the other genres in it. 

I've been listening to transcending obscurity records stuff from there you tube feed. A range of stuff which I like some of alot. What you been spinning ☺️

On 5/8/2022 at 1:03 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Yeah it was a good recommendation. The songs are very good imo with the music video. Frantic i liked alot. I googled it and it's listed as metal/alt metal/nu metal/groove metal so we're all right. I can't see the metal tag but I can hear all the other genres in it. 

I've been listening to transcending obscurity records stuff from there you tube feed. A range of stuff which I like some of alot. What you been spinning ☺️

Very cool!  I've been blasting a lot of deathcore lately.  Lorna Shore just released their newest song yesterday, and I've been playing it repeatedly.  I've also been jamming to Black Tongue, The Red Chord, and Shadow of Intent.  Highly recommended! 

On 5/15/2022 at 2:04 AM, JamesT said:

Very cool!  I've been blasting a lot of deathcore lately.  Lorna Shore just released their newest song yesterday, and I've been playing it repeatedly.  I've also been jamming to Black Tongue, The Red Chord, and Shadow of Intent.  Highly recommended! 

James t if your liking deathcore. Why not. I'm not a big fan. Lorna shore recent track  sun eater is catchy and sounds similar to some music I've got. Those atmospheric choir bits and orchestra stuff I like. The metal bits I'm liking too. Vocals I think work well.  I've heard alot worse deathcore stuff. Have you got the album?

Cool re jamming to those bands. Does that mean your can play along to them. What instrument do you play 

I pre-ordered the new album by sisyphean. It's dissonant black metal which is a genre I've never bought music from and never heard of before. but I'm liking. Probably not a million miles from sun eater track. 

On 5/22/2022 at 6:44 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

James t if your liking deathcore. Why not. I'm not a big fan. Lorna shore recent track  sun eater is catchy and sounds similar to some music I've got. Those atmospheric choir bits and orchestra stuff I like. The metal bits I'm liking too. Vocals I think work well.  I've heard alot worse deathcore stuff. Have you got the album?

Cool re jamming to those bands. Does that mean your can play along to them. What instrument do you play 

I pre-ordered the new album by sisyphean. It's dissonant black metal which is a genre I've never bought music from and never heard of before. but I'm liking. Probably not a million miles from sun eater track. 

Yeah man!  I enjoy deathcore, although I tend to listen to it in waves.  The new Lorna Shore album will be released later this year in October, and I'll be sure to snag it as soon as it's available.  

I wish I could play along with them!  But no, I don't play any instruments.  I just use the word "jamming" to mean that I rock out to the music in my car or through my headphones.  

Very cool!  I'll check out Sisyphean this evening.  I don't like black metal as much, but if it's more of the atmospheric variety, I do enjoy it a lot more.  Thanks for the recommendation! 

On 5/24/2022 at 2:25 AM, JamesT said:

Yeah man!  I enjoy deathcore, although I tend to listen to it in waves.  The new Lorna Shore album will be released later this year in October, and I'll be sure to snag it as soon as it's available.  

I wish I could play along with them!  But no, I don't play any instruments.  I just use the word "jamming" to mean that I rock out to the music in my car or through my headphones.  

Very cool!  I'll check out Sisyphean this evening.  I don't like black metal as much, but if it's more of the atmospheric variety, I do enjoy it a lot more.  Thanks for the recommendation! 

James t this album I think you'd like given some of other music you like. It's et moriemurs new one. It's Japanese themed one. It's called tamashii no Yama. It's mixes very well played atmospheric orchestral stuff with Japanese themes and metal. I like this alot.  Well worth a listen. It's the best album I've heard in months. 

Ok re jamming I understand. I certainly do that more in the car these days and not so much at home. It makes journeys more interesting ☺️

Yeah good plan to listen to deathcore metal in waves. I listen to many styles of metal and I Do the same. I listen to different genres of metal depending how I am that day. If I've had a bad day put on the sad doomy stuff, thrash music if I'm bit energetic.