When metal bands p*ssed off there fans by changing style ???????

blaaacdoommmmfan

On 4/15/2020 at 1:49 PM, Balor said:

Perhaps Burzum could be another contender here.  I know that his style certainly evolved over time, and that many people have sharp disagreements over which albums/eras of his material are even worth listening to.  I generally like all Burzum albums, but certainly have a preference as to which era is best!

I'm not the biggest fan of Varg's "post-prison" albums. Some of his more ambient stuff is pretty cool, but I remember reading a review of Dauði Baldrs that was like "40 minutes of a crazed neo-nazi, church burning murderer playing a toy piano. It's only half as funny as it sounds." 

Honestly I don't really disagree.

On 2/12/2022 at 8:16 PM, Megatokyo said:

I'm not the biggest fan of Varg's "post-prison" albums. Some of his more ambient stuff is pretty cool, but I remember reading a review of Dauði Baldrs that was like "40 minutes of a crazed neo-nazi, church burning murderer playing a toy piano. It's only half as funny as it sounds." 

Honestly I don't really disagree.

But the prison synth has to be distinguished from the post-prison stuff too.  I actually like those dungeon synth albums...

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2022 at 11:54 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

I look forward to hearing what you think of forbidden. I will give deaths spiritual healing another listen. Didn't think it was that bad. It's the lowest rated album of there's. The cover I reckon is hilarious but in a good. Way😁

It's been a long time since, but I've finally given Forbidden a shot. Four songs in and I'm not feeling it. Tommy Iommi carries the album, everything else has been poor so far. Hoping it gets a little better at least!

On 4/12/2022 at 12:54 PM, Karambit said:

It's been a long time since, but I've finally given Forbidden a shot. Four songs in and I'm not feeling it. Tommy Iommi carries the album, everything else has been poor so far. Hoping it gets a little better at least!

I'd forgotten about that one. It's called forbidden for a reason. 😉 Hopefully it improves. Let me know how you like 2nd half of album

I listened other day to st anger by Mettalica with zero expectations and I must say I liked it alot more than I was expecting. It was bit repetitive and some songs a bit long but I liked the energy. I used to hate that album. Now I appreciate the energy which reminded me of there glory days of thrash. There were punk, groove metal, nu metal bits but I still liked it somewhat

43 minutes ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

I'd forgotten about that one. It's called forbidden for a reason. 😉 Hopefully it improves. Let me know how you like 2nd half of album

I listened other day to st anger by Mettalica with zero expectations and I must say I liked it alot more than I was expecting. It was bit repetitive and some songs a bit long but I liked the energy. I used to hate that album. Now I appreciate the energy which reminded me of there glory days of thrash. There were punk, groove metal, nu metal bits but I still liked it somewhat

Forbidden is definitely the correct word to describe it! It gets worse during the second half, dear lord. Tony Martin's vocals lack finesse. They sound weak on every song which is a crying shame. Ozzy had a booming voice that took control of each track, this is more power ballad than metal.

There's one decent song (Shaking Off the Chains) but everything else is filler. A terrible album indeed. Not even Tommy Iommi could salvage it.

As for St Anger, I found it to be garbage. Only lasted four songs before giving up, but you've convinced me to give it another shot. Surely it has good parts right?

On 4/14/2022 at 12:30 AM, Karambit said:

Forbidden is definitely the correct word to describe it! It gets worse during the second half, dear lord. Tony Martin's vocals lack finesse. They sound weak on every song which is a crying shame. Ozzy had a booming voice that took control of each track, this is more power ballad than metal.

There's one decent song (Shaking Off the Chains) but everything else is filler. A terrible album indeed. Not even Tommy Iommi could salvage it.

As for St Anger, I found it to be garbage. Only lasted four songs before giving up, but you've convinced me to give it another shot. Surely it has good parts right?

For st anger. Going in with no expectations helped. I switched it off on last track but I was amazed I got that far and enjoyed it overall even with those drums and it's bit repetitive. It's definitely worth another listen. Only one mind you. It was background music when I played it as I was doing some work. Maybe this helped. 

I will have to hear this black Sabbath album. I've heard some others say they like his vocals. It's difficult to follow Ozzy, Dio, Ian gillen. All legendary imo. 

On 4/14/2022 at 10:46 PM, KillaKukumba said:

I said it's ok so it's bloody ok and nothing you can say will change that, okay!

I think albums ok too. Not amazing but not without merit. That main riff for st anger I've heard very similar from other band.

I just can't remember where I've heard that before. You get riffs like that. There's a riff megadeth, pantera and machine head all used  that sound almost identical to me anyway. With them they have thrash in there music so guess that figures. Still can't work out what other song st anger riff sounds like 🤔

Well I don't read mainstream clickbait articles so I'll have to take your word for it. I would think that James might be too close to the 'Talllica situation to be truly objective. Just the fact that they've released some of the dog shit they have tells me that his opinions regarding musical taste are of little value to me. But I was just weighing in with my two cents. Obviously you are all free to make up your own minds about their albums and which ones are better or worse.

I remember buying Some Kind of Monster on VHS many years ago whenever that was, and then giving it away to a dude at work shortly after. He kept asking me if I wanted him to return it to me, and I kept telling him no that's alright, you can keep it.

Personally I would say Reload is the best and most listenable album of original material they've done since the 1980's. Which says a lot about their other post-80's albums, because it's certainly no masterpiece or Grammy winner or anything.

My Metallica ranking because I like ranking shit.

1. RTL (far and away their best, they peaked here in 1984 won't even listen to any dissenters)

2. KEA (hasn't held up all that well over the years besides a handful of standout tracks (4 H-men, S & D) but thrash was such a new and exciting sound at the time so it has some nostalgia attached, and sadly it's still better than any of the others)

3. MoP (noticeable shift toward a more contrived and commercial sound. I liked about half of it and then got sick of those after two months)

4. AJFA (huge drop-off in quality from the first 3 imho. I like 3 tunes, Blackened, Frayed Ends, and the best song on the album Harvester of Sorrows)

5. The one with all the cover songs, Garage Inc. (because I love cover songs)

6. Reload (about half of this album is ok for what it is, mainstream commercial heavy metal) 

7. Metallica (this one makes the list soley for Wherever I May Roam which is a song I've always really liked. I liked Sandman at one time as well but it's hard for me to listen to it now for the billionth time) 

I liked that Freight Train Coming Your Way song too whatever album that was from with the symphony orchestra.

I don't find any redeeming value in any of their other albums, haven't even bothered listening to Hardwired.