Jump to content

When metal bands p*ssed off there fans by changing style ???????


Recommended Posts

Perhaps Burzum could be another contender here.  I know that his style certainly evolved over time, and that many people have sharp disagreements over which albums/eras of his material are even worth listening to.  I generally like all Burzum albums, but certainly have a preference as to which era is best!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2020 at 7:25 AM, Eternal_ said:

My favorite album is Morningrise. It was deeply interesting and atmospheric, so much i can!t explain. I lthink imy favorite era is really starting at this one and, it ends when they released the first prog rock album... with the self laughing cover art... how it was called? Ehm... I don!t know now, i was so disapointed that i never heard it twice, lol :D

The first two albums are my favourite of there's to be honest. For me I love the way they mix death metal with prog and loads of other different genres in neat little flourishes ?plus the use of contrast is used to great effect between heavy and light sections, clean and harsh vocals in a unique way that's executed with perfection. It's a very eclectic album I really like but not one for purists who generally hate it. I also agree with you as for me this album was there high point. The albums to my ears afterwards were not as varied as this one but still good. I read that the band changed there style  because of copy cat bands mimicking there style or they got bored and fancied a change. I also read that recreation of the early material live was very difficult and so they altered there style so they could get tighter live shows but im only going on what other fans have said on internet. They were still good album's after. Obviously that heritage album was a shock because it's so different to every thing they'd done before. I like you listened to it a few times but never really connected with it as losing the heavy bits and replacing it with meandering prog or whatever for all I heard meant they lost there unique opeth sound for me if that makes sense. Your right alot of there fans were a bit disappointed with this one.maybe like this ??????  Maybe they gained loads of new prog fans I don't know.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2020 at 11:42 AM, noblastbeats said:

I think I remember reading in Metal Hammer that they all made up around about the time they did the Big 4 tour. Maybe it'll happen!

. For me Mettalica for too long have been surrounded by yes men. Alot of previous album's are not thrash anymore but could have been good hard rock albums with better edits of the songs and some times less songs on album like load album.  I'm not only person who thinks this. I heard a few metal djs say it as have a load of rock and metal fans I've spoken too.  My hope for mettalica would be that they give doing an old school album again a real go with this time not turning the bass really low like they did with justice for all. Get in a proper  thrash producer.  plus  If they got Dave mustaine in he would not mince his words and they might do something special ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2020 at 6:49 PM, Balor said:

Perhaps Burzum could be another contender here.  I know that his style certainly evolved over time, and that many people have sharp disagreements over which albums/eras of his material are even worth listening to.  I generally like all Burzum albums, but certainly have a preference as to which era is best!

I know nothing about burzums music as not heard any of it but I know the early stuff is highly regarded from bands, fans and journalists who think the music is really fantastic .can anyone else elaborate. I assume after he was jailed for 20 years plus for that nasty murder of euronomous and the chapel burnings his popularity plummeted and never returned.i remember reading about that back in the day and I was shocked what had happened, no real easy answers to what happened but clearly things got very out of hand.      Your a big fan aren't you balor burzum. Was it you who said the albums quality went down in prison because he was only allowed to play on keyboards. Did the album quality improve after release from prison when varg got to play with guitars again. Are burzum still serious players  or have they sunk to the bottom. I can imagine after what's happened burzum really gets a divided opinion. What are other people's opinions of burzum and or varg. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

I know nothing about burzums music as not heard any of it but I know the early stuff is highly regarded from bands, fans and journalists who think the music is really fantastic .can anyone else elaborate. I assume after he was jailed for 20 years plus for that nasty murder of euronomous and the chapel burnings his popularity plummeted and never returned.i remember reading about that back in the day and I was shocked what had happened, no real easy answers to what happened but clearly things got very out of hand.      Your a big fan aren't you balor burzum. Was it you who said the albums quality went down in prison because he was only allowed to play on keyboards. Did the album quality improve after release from prison when varg got to play with guitars again. Are burzum still serious players  or have they sunk to the bottom. I can imagine after what's happened burzum really gets a divided opinion. What are other people's opinions of burzum and or varg. 

I am a big fan of Burzum, though I do not think that the quality of his albums when down while he was incarcerated.  His prison albums represent, to me at least, some of his best material (and certainly the best of his ambient works).  However, Burzum's post-prison music just does not live up to the same atmosphere as what came before.  It generally falls flat to my ears (in reference to other Burzum albums, they are still enjoyable).

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2020 at 10:46 PM, Balor said:

I am a big fan of Burzum, though I do not think that the quality of his albums when down while he was incarcerated.  His prison albums represent, to me at least, some of his best material (and certainly the best of his ambient works).  However, Burzum's post-prison music just does not live up to the same atmosphere as what came before.  It generally falls flat to my ears (in reference to other Burzum albums, they are still enjoyable).

?To be honest would have to listen to some burzum before I can comment any more. What are your top picks. I take it you like the early stuff plus at least 1 of the ambient prison releases.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

?To be honest would have to listen to some burzum before I can comment any more. What are your top picks. I take it you like the early stuff plus at least 1 of the ambient prison releases.  

Honestly, everything up through Hliðskjálf is masterful (including the demos).  Burzum goes downhill a bit after that.  Filosofem is probably his best work (some might disagree, but this is my opinion), so that is a must-listen!

Link to post
Share on other sites

For me it was probably Satyricon. Their first three albums are black metal classics, then Satyr just seemed to become more and more interested in sounding like some sort of arena rock...don't get me wrong, even their self-titled release has its moments, but it's just not the same. I'll go back and listen to "Forhekset" or whatever and then wonder why I even bother trying to listen to their more recent material.

(Honorable mention for Anathema. I don't think they were exactly fantastic to begin with, but damn they had a really unique sound on Serenades and their first few EPs. Then they steadily lost their minds, it seems.)

Actually, I believe this is a curse most bands suffer from at some point, oftentimes permanently. I guess they get bored and sort of jump off the deep end experminetally and never return. No one's asking for the same exact album over and over again, but when your fans can't even recognize your new music as yours...there's definitely a problem.

On 4/13/2020 at 4:35 AM, Eternal_ said:

For me, it was Opeth and Katatonia, for instance. I!ve been their huge fan till Opeth went into the kinda heavier Art/Prog. Rock and Katatonia started to put much sugar into their cup of coffees. 

Ugh yes - two of my most favorite bands of all time but I really cannot stomach Opeth's psychadelic/progressive rock-inspired Porcupine Tree worship, nor Katatonia's electronica BS much these days. I'm still a huge fan of their 90s output but I can't bring myself to listen to their more recent stuff. It's pretty disheartening when you have to try to force yourself to like their new albums...

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Depraved said:

For me it was probably Satyricon. Their first three albums are black metal classics, then Satyr just seemed to become more and more interested in sounding like some sort of arena rock...don't get me wrong, even their self-titled release has its moments, but it's just not the same. I'll go back and listen to "Forhekset" or whatever and then wonder why I even bother trying to listen to their more recent material.

While I was never a big fan of Satyricon, I can see where this is coming from.  Their early bm was great, but the turn to black 'n roll - not so much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2020 at 9:03 PM, Depraved said:

 

I really cannot stomach Opeth's psychadelic/progressive rock-inspired Porcupine Tree worship, nor Katatonia's electronica BS much these days. I'm still a huge fan of their 90s output but I can't bring myself to listen to their more recent stuff. It's pretty disheartening when you have to try to force yourself to like their new albums...

With the case of opeth. More of a case of oh dear for me. I know they've got alot of fans still. But for me they used to be so good when they were playing metal with loads of other genres mixed in, they were one of my favourite bands. First two albums are some of my favourite albums. I guess Michael akerfeldt got bored of doing metal and just stopped doing it. I reckon opeth should have dropped that name and called themselves some thing else when they went all prog. What was it you just did not get with the opeth prog stuff. For me it was the loss of extreme contrast  from heavy stuff to beutifull light sections.  

Also what other bands should just drop there name and start again with a new one when they completely change there style of music. It's a crazy idea but theres certain amount of logic to it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

With the case of opeth. More of a case of oh dear for me. I know they've got alot of fans still. But for me they used to be so good when they were playing metal with loads of other genres mixed in, they were one of my favourite bands. First two albums are some of my favourite albums. I guess Michael akerfeldt got bored of doing metal and just stopped doing it. I reckon opeth should have dropped that name and called themselves some thing else when they went all prog. What was it you just did not get with the opeth prog stuff. For me it was the loss of extreme contrast  from heavy stuff to beutifull light sections.  

Also what other bands should just drop there name and start again with a new one when they completely change there style of music. It's a crazy idea but theres certain amount of logic to it. 

I agree, their early material is still excellent. I love their first three albums, very avant-garde and experimental but I love the juxtaposition of melodic/acoustic/instrumental with more harsh death metal passages and so forth. I think Ghost Reveries and Watershed is where they really started to sound way too much like a progressive rock band, but it was Heritage that was the final straw for me. I was just bored throughout that entire album. Their work since then has felt much the same way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2020 at 2:01 PM, Depraved said:

I agree, their early material is still excellent. I love their first three albums, very avant-garde and experimental but I love the juxtaposition of melodic/acoustic/instrumental with more harsh death metal passages and so forth. I think Ghost Reveries and Watershed is where they really started to sound way too much like a progressive rock band, but it was Heritage that was the final straw for me. I was just bored throughout that entire album. Their work since then has felt much the same way. 

Ok great so it's not just me who has tried to listen to the new prog stuff but just does not really like it. I'm not even sure it's good for prog music then again they do popular tours all the time so they must be doing some thing right . 

Do you reckon the change in sound may be to do with Michael akerfeldt protecting his voice as not everyone can sing harsh vocals forever just an idea after watching a you tube video when he sung poorly and the vocal coach said excellent voice protecting technique for when doing harsh vocals. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 9 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Join Metal Forum

    joinus-home.jpg

  • Our picks

    • Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

      Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.


      There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

      Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

      3/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/50-queensryche-the-verdict/
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies

    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
×
×
  • Create New...