When metal bands p*ssed off there fans by changing style ???????

blaaacdoommmmfan

Honestly, I get annoyed with monotony.  As long as a band isn;t flat-out selling out, I'm fine with trying new things.  Honestly, I wish Shadow of Intent would change things up more instead of steering further and further into "typical" deathcore.  Without the Halo influence, they've lost a big part of their identity.

And then we have Linkin Park.  I never thought I'd want nu metal back.

11 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Bit harsh on papa het. I preferred his old style singing on those classic first few albums. He had more energy in his vocals then. He's bit too croony for my liking these days but he's good singer. I think musically there not as interesting as they've been since cliff died. That's my main problem with them

There are 2 Metallica songs that I like. One song has an instrumental version (meaning no Hetty in it, which is why I like that version only) - "King Nothing". The other song is "The Four Horsemen". Fortunately in this song his voice isn't that loud to bother me but I'd very much like to find an instrumental of that song as well.

On 8/7/2022 at 3:30 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

No Sweets, pull yer head out. He's a great guitar player, but a really shitty singer. I happen to be a rather terrible singer myself, and it takes one to know one. Your hound's a better singer than Jaymz.

Years ago in the 80's they flirted with the idea of hiring a dedicated singer to relieve him of his vocal duties. But then they figured people already knew him as the voice of the band, and adding another band member would mean they'd have to give the new guy a share diluting their own shares so the idea was nixed. But if they had known back then how bad his voice would one day get, maybe they would have taken that idea more seriously. 

Ok we agree to differ opinions on this one. Surely Mettalica would be improved if mustaine came back in some capacity like guitar or guitar and vocals. Surely.

2 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Ok we agree to differ opinions on this one. Surely Mettalica would be improved if Mustaine came back in some capacity like guitar or guitar and vocals. Surely.

Maybe they could bring him back as their fluffer.

Dave's at least as big or probably even a bigger dick than Lars. Pretty good guitar player when he's sober but that doesn't excuse his dickishness. Wouldn't ask him to sing anything though. Even though he'd probably do a better job than Jaymz. They should let the new guy Trujillo sing, what would they have to lose? 

Of course I am biased from the one time I saw them live in a wee small little club in the 80's and Dave was a sloppy drunken beligerent mess onstage. I don't know what all he was on but they had to cut the show short. I did buy a few more of their albums after that but the whole experience kind of soured me on MegaDave. So fuck that guy.

And seriously nothing could improve Metallica at this point, I think it's a bit too late for them. Jaymz just turned 59 last week, Dave will be 61 next month, they're loaded, why don't they just retire?

I have to ask you Sweets, is there a reason you spell Metallica that same way every time?

4 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

It's terrible!

But have you heard Hetfield lately? Pull up a live video from the last couple of years, it's pretty rough. I guess Dave has always sounded terrible right from the beginning so I've learned to expect it. I liked James' voice back in '84 -'85.

the last live metallica thing i saw was their appearance on jimmy kimmel last fall to celebrate black album's 30th anniversary. in my opinion, his voice still sounded better than what chris barnes' voice has devolved into over the last 20 years 😂 barnes sounded horrifically strained on the last six feet under album

Megadeth wouldn't be the same band without Dave's distinctive voice. His combination of drug/booze addled antics and flat out hatred made the first few albums better. Gave them a little fire. Love him or hate him, no one else would sound right delivering those lyrics. I'd say the same for James and Tom Araya. They are unique characteristics of the band. Neither of those guys are "good singers", but they fit. Honestly, I can't name a "good" singer in a classic thrash band. All of their post 1990 material is meh at best, so no comment there. Dave did sound pretty good when I saw them last year, but check out the video from Hellfest this year....he looks ready for the retirement home.

9 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Justis says Dave can do anything!

Actually that might be more of a case of "have to do anything" as in anything I say, since he's now boss Of MegaInc.

What do you get like a badge and a patch for joining the fan club? One of Dave's sweaty used wrist bands? Or do they make you pay just to get in?

You're aware MegaDave's hey-day was a few dozen years ago, right? 😉

30 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

What do you get like a badge and a patch for joining the fan club? One of Dave's sweaty used wrist bands? Or do they make you pay just to get in?

You're aware MegaDave's hey-day was a few dozen years ago, right? 😉

Dave was one of the first metal bands to charge an entry fee just to be part of his forum. Megadeth Arizona was about $5 for a casual member back in '97 from memory. But Justis is pushing MegaInc into the crypto world now and trying to sell NFT's as a valuable Megacollectible with the idea that when they get things moving the fan club will only be open to members willing to trade in crypto.

Commercial hey-day or creative hey-day?

I wouldn't say imploded, there is still plenty of people trading, but I really don't think metal fans are looking to use whatever crypto they have just to buy one of NFT's. This isn't even MegaIncs first run into NFT's. Ozzy got stung a year or two ago (although to what $$$ extent I don't really know). I think if Dave or Justis want to trade in crypto then that's what they should do, but I really can't see it being a great marketing tool.