When metal bands p*ssed off there fans by changing style ???????

blaaacdoommmmfan

The only albums on that MS list I would have even been willing to consider for my list were Hellripper and Sodom. Hellripper made it, just not that specific album. My list is almost entirely black/thrash. 

When I say "mainstream" in this context Deadovic I just mean bands that are well known within the world of thrash. I doubt you could find too many dudes who'd claim to be big into thrash metal but then say they've never heard of Warbringer or Hellripper. Even if they're not fans of those bands they've likely heard of them. Because these bands have gotten a lot more media attention than your average no name thrash band. I bet even most of the Metallica/Lamb of god/Slipknot crowd has probably heard of Warbringer.

Speedwolf - Ride With Death, Denver 2011. I happened to wear this shirt today, so I figured I should give the album a spin. Would have put this one on my list for sure but it's a lot more speed than thrash.

25 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Speedwolf - Ride With Death, Denver 2011. I happened to wear this shirt today, so I figured I should give the album a spin. Would have put this one on my list for sure but it's a lot more speed than thrash.

I wish Speedwolf had more music out.

Warbringer have definitely been a well known and often respected thrash band from the people I know, Hellripper not so much, but I think every thrash fan has at least heard of Warbringer.

Hellripper Interview. James of Hellripper talks about his band, his new album & signing to Peaceville Records.

This kid's amazing, he has a few different projects he's done all on his own besides just Hellripper. (Rats of Reality, Lord Rot, Lock Howl) He says the first few demos and EP's were recorded in his bedroom at his parents' house in Aberdeen Scotland in 2014/15 when he was 18/19. I shouldn't call him a "kid" he's 27 now.

I don't have my finger on the pulse of the mainstream metal world by any means. I wouldn't ever think to go on any of the big metal sites some of you talk about or anything, I have no real interest in mainstream metal "news" or what Vince Neil or Ozzy are up to these days or anything like that. But I find it hard to believe there are many serious metalheads that have never heard of Hellripper by now. Even if blackened speed metal isn't really their thing.

I wouldn't say Hellripper is well known in the more mainstream side of things, but "The Affair of the Poisons" definitely put him in the position to break through. It was one of those releases that enough people were aware of, that his next album will probably be the one everyone will latch onto and act like it's their favorite band...assuming it's good.

26 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

I wouldn't say Hellripper is well known in the more mainstream side of things, but "The Affair of the Poisons" definitely put him in the position to break through. It was one of those releases that enough people were aware of, that his next album will probably be the one everyone will latch onto and act like it's their favorite band...assuming it's good.

Hard to guess what will happen. I personally liked Coagulating a fair bit better than Poisons. The newer one doesn't strike me as any better produced or any catchier than the first one really so I'm not sure if he's even moving in the right direction for mainstream success. I know he's not there yet, but it does seem like I've been hearing the name Hellripper kicked around quite a bit for the last few years. That's probably mostly because outside of the kvlt black metal world the one man band aspect is a novelty.

47 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Hard to guess what will happen. I personally liked Coagulating a fair bit better than Poisons. The newer one doesn't strike me as any better produced or any catchier than the first one really so I'm not sure if he's even moving in the right direction for mainstream success. I know he's not there yet, but it does seem like I've been hearing the name Hellripper kicked around quite a bit for the last few years. That's probably mostly because outside of the kvlt black metal world the one man band aspect is a novelty.

It's got nothing to do with which one is better/catchier/better produced...I'm speaking purely about name recognition. "The Affair of the Poisons" brought a decent level of organic attention/buzz to Hellripper to the point that the next album will probably be the one that gets reviewers and metal media sites talking about it and a wider metal audience becoming aware of the band.

It's like the difference between Mgla - With Hearts Toward None and Mgla - Exercises in Futility. With Hearts Toward None was the album that got the buzz and brought the attention, but because most mainstream metal media is perpetually 2 steps behind, they didn't catch onto it until it was too late to slobber all over it. So when Exercises in Futility came out, they tripped all over themselves promoting it, putting it on year end lists, etc. That became the album the more mainstream fans most associated with Mgla, and you can tell because it's the one usually brought up by people with more mainstream tastes.

4 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Metalsucks seems to be running again, so here's their list (ranks are inverted...Warbringer was number one)

1. Carnal Forge, Firedemon
  2. Hellripper, The Affair of the Poisons
  3. Exodus, Persona Non Grata
  4. Desaster, The Oath of an Iron Ritual
  5. Death Angel, Killing Season
  6. Death of Kings, Kneel Before None
  7. Havok, Time Is Up
  8. Toxic Holocaust, Chemistry of Consciousness
  9. Sodom, M-16
  10. Hypnosia, Extreme Hatred
  11. Black Fast, Terms of Surrender
  12. Nifelheim, Envoy of Lucifer
  13. The Haunted, The Haunted Made Me Do It
  14. Ghoul, Splatterthrash
  15. Witchery, Symphony for the Devil
  16. Municipal Waste, The Art of Partying
  17. Gama Bomb, Citizen Brain
  18. Power Trip, Nightmare Logic
  19. Kreator, Violent Revolution
  20. Warbringer, Woe to the Vanquished

It's not a bad list by any stretch.

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

The only albums on that MS list I would have even been willing to consider for my list were Hellripper and Sodom. Hellripper made it, just not that specific album. My list is almost entirely black/thrash. 

When I say "mainstream" in this context Deadovic I just mean bands that are well known within the world of thrash. I doubt you could find too many dudes who'd claim to be big into thrash metal but then say they've never heard of Warbringer or Hellripper. Even if they're not fans of those bands they've likely heard of them. Because these bands have gotten a lot more media attention than your average no name thrash band. I bet even most of the Metallica/Lamb of god/Slipknot crowd has probably heard of Warbringer.

Possibly not.

Your average Metallica fan doesn't even know who Overkill or Exodus is because they don't usually listen to metal.  I've even met Metallica fans who didn't know that they had 4 albums before Black album (one massive fan of Black and the Loads was horrified when we played him Master of Puppets.  Metallica is metal for mainstream types who want to pretend to be alternative.

The Slipknot crowd again never look at anything even below the surface.  I knew quite a few guys like this - Slipknot is usually their "extreme band" for when Korn, Limp Bizkit, Spineshank, SOAD etc wasn't heavy enough.

One of my mates is really old school thrash and owns stuff that many people would never have heard of but he zones out after about 2000 and he would struggle to know who Warbringer or Havoc are.  He introduced me to a ton of what was back then forgotten 1980s and early 1990s thrash in the early 2000s ala Artillery, Vendetta, Whiplash, Demolition Hammer, Rosicrucian etc.  He also got me into a ton of forgotten death metal and speed metal.

I know a couple of dudes who are hardcore old school death metallers and both played in local death and grind bands but haven't heard of Gruesome or had never heard Cattle Decapitation.  These are dudes that swear by Brutal Truth or Suffocation or Cryptopsy, having got into those bands when they were new.   It actually blew my mind when I was talking to them about this newer stuff at a Napalm Death gig and they didn't have a clue what I was on about.

Seriously most people don't deep delve as us here!

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

You mean he's gone off the cocaine, tequila and pussy diet?

Vince Neil Opens A Strip Club Even He Can't Get Kicked Out Of

Judging by that photo of sleazy fat old Vince surrounded by hot chicks, it's doesn't look so bad!

2 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Totally agree.  Hopefully he won't drop the ball.

Here's a metal thought - other than this website my dealings with metalheads in real life seldom reveal any deep understanding of the genre.  People happily choof along with their mainstream metal oblivious to even the sub mainstream lurking just below the surface.

4 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Your average Metallica fan doesn't even know who Overkill or Exodus is because they don't usually listen to metal.  I've even met Metallica fans who didn't know that they had 4 albums before Black album (one massive fan of Black and the Loads was horrified when we played him Master of Puppets.  Metallica is metal for mainstream types who want to pretend to be alternative.

The Slipknot crowd again never look at anything even below the surface.  I knew quite a few guys like this - Slipknot is usually their "extreme band" for when Korn, Limp Bizkit, Spineshank, SOAD etc wasn't heavy enough.

One of my mates is really old school thrash and owns stuff that many people would never have heard of but he zones out after about 2000 and he would struggle to know who Warbringer or Havoc are.  He introduced me to a ton of what was back then forgotten 1980s and early 1990s thrash in the early 2000s ala Artillery, Vendetta, Whiplash, Demolition Hammer, Rosicrucian etc.  He also got me into a ton of forgotten death metal and speed metal.

I know a couple of dudes who are hardcore old school death metallers and both played in local death and grind bands but haven't heard of Gruesome or had never heard Cattle Decapitation.  These are dudes that swear by Brutal Truth or Suffocation or Cryptopsy, having got into those bands when they were new.  It actually blew my mind when I was talking to them about this newer stuff at a Napalm Death gig and they didn't have a clue what I was on about.

Seriously most people don't deep delve as us here!

I suppose some of it's generational. I was too old for nu-metal when it came around in the mid/late 90's. I was clearly not part of the target demographic for that stuff (teenage Millennials and younger Gen X-ers) so I really missed out on a lot of that nonsense. I don't have a clear idea of what Slipknot even sounds like (I know I've youtubed them a few times just to see what they were about because they get mentioned a lot, but I've since forgotten) and I've never even heard of Spineshank.

So in the late 90's and early 2000's I was a bit like your mates who you said were all about 90's death metal but didn't know any of the newer 2000's bands, except I'm a generation older. So I knew all about the 70's and 80's bands and I kept listening to that stuff all throughout the 90's only picking up a handful of new bands during that entire decade. I discover more new bands in an average month now than I did during the entire decade of the 90's. I didn't know too much about most of the newer 'alternative' late 90's bands who were aimed at teens and 20-somethings because I didn't care. I didn't know much about 90's black and death metal because real metal had gone underground at some point and nobody told me.

It really wasn't until the mid 2000's in my 40's when I made a conscious decision to get back into it and educate myself about how to use the internet to find out what was going on in the metal world. And then it turned out I connected with the newer metal more than the old 80's stuff. But I suppose most people aren't really motivated to do that so late in life. I think a lot of people tend to latch onto music from a certain time in their life when they were young and are pretty content just to go with that. 

So my perceptions of what typical metalheads are like have been informed by my own personal experience as well as the other metalheads I've met on internet forums over the last 15 years. Who for the most part I've found to be pretty knowledgeable about metal and go much deeper than just a surface level. And most of them (not me so much tbh) tend to also be fairly knowledgeable about other music far beyond the scope of metal as well. I really have trouble understanding how there could be people who claim to be fans of a certain kind of music, but then they only know 3 or 4 bands if that. What is that? Don't these people have any intellect or curiosity about anything at all? 

On 4/2/2020 at 1:00 AM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

I was reading about how suicide silence really annoyed there fans with a change of direction from deathcore to a nu metal .the fans were highly fu*ked  about this.???? They've gone heavy again apparently.(never listened to them) 

what  other bands have really annoyed there fans so much that a big part of the audience never had much to do with them again. There's got to be some good ones surely. I know of a few but would like to find out what others have to say about this. 

IDK about other people, but I know which band pissed me off - Rammstein. IDK why or when but they're no longer industrial metal, they're... something else. That's why I haven't updated my collection and stick to my favorite 20 songs only.

9Zdq7tm.png

11 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Here's a metal thought - other than this website my dealings with metalheads in real life seldom reveal any deep understanding of the genre.  People happily choof along with their mainstream metal oblivious to even the sub mainstream lurking just below the surface.

I've actually found a mix of both. I've been out and occasionally bumped into people who knew exactly who the band on my shirt was, and got to chatting with them a bit, and I've also run into people whose understanding of metal was basically no deeper than Slipknot, Metallica, Ghost, etc....definitely more of the latter, but that's to be expected. I think most people, even ones who might be brought around to more extreme stuff if they heard it, just aren't aware of those bands or how to find them. Most people who even try are more likely to run into some shit-site like Revolver or Metalsucks and stop there

Edit: Holy shit...Spineshank!? That's a fucking name I haven't heard in a very long time

Spineshank, haha... I saw them and System Of A Down open for Fear Factory on a leg of the Obsolete tour. They felt out of place, overcompensated by acting tough, and came across even worse as a result.  Still better than the other time FF came through with Hed(pe) opening.

It's easy to miss a lot of great stuff. Especially older bands that fell off the radar, if you didn't catch them the first time around, when it was harder to find stuff in general. I was basically at the mercy of what they would stock at my record store, recs from friends, and what I could find in magazines. Now it's much easier to hear music from any scene and era, but I have to force myself to do it when I'm in the mood. It's not natural for me to approach it systematically. I prefer stumbling across things by accident and hammering on them for a while. The upshot of that is, I've been listening to DM for almost 30 years and I'm still finding good stuff I haven't heard.

3 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

It's easy to miss a lot of great stuff. Especially older bands that fell off the radar, if you didn't catch them the first time around, when it was harder to find stuff in general.

Although my original comment about GG's list of thrash albums was a little tongue in cheek, because I do pretty much the same thing when someone ask me to make a list, missing stuff is one of the reasons 20 years at once seems like such a big task. If I did a deep dive into the last 20 years of thrash I know I'd find a heap of albums that I had missed the first time around. Doesn't mean they'd all be automatic winners but I'd still want to listen to some of them to see how good they were.

On 7/18/2022 at 12:35 PM, Valso said:

IDK about other people, but I know which band pissed me off - Rammstein. IDK why or when but they're no longer industrial metal, they're... something else. That's why I haven't updated my collection and stick to my favorite 20 songs only.

9Zdq7tm.png

I almost never trust a band who's that popular like they are. Even if I liked them in the first place which I did not. The very idea of going to an arena to watch  them mostly on a big screen seems kinda pointless to me. Changing there sound was what many bands do to sell more records and lose some fans in the process like you 😉. Whats your favourite track album of theres. Du hast is very catchy but little too poppy for me. 

Would you be a fan of them again if they went back to industrial again? Would an apology from the band help. We're sorry we have given up on  our roots but we won't do that again 🤣

On 7/22/2022 at 1:19 AM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Would you be a fan of them again if they went back to industrial again?

Would an apology from the band help?

If Lindemann returns to the band, yes, I would. I stopped listening to Nigthwish for the same reason - no more Tarya in the band.

An apology would help only if they return to what they were, otherwise it's just words. "We're sorry we disappointed you but we got to greedy for money".