When metal bands p*ssed off there fans by changing style ???????

blaaacdoommmmfan

On 5/26/2022 at 5:55 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

James t this album I think you'd like given some of other music you like. It's et moriemurs new one. It's Japanese themed one. It's called tamashii no Yama. It's mixes very well played atmospheric orchestral stuff with Japanese themes and metal. I like this alot.  Well worth a listen. It's the best album I've heard in months. 

Ok re jamming I understand. I certainly do that more in the car these days and not so much at home. It makes journeys more interesting ☺️

Yeah good plan to listen to deathcore metal in waves. I listen to many styles of metal and I Do the same. I listen to different genres of metal depending how I am that day. If I've had a bad day put on the sad doomy stuff, thrash music if I'm bit energetic. 

Yep, exactly the same for me!  Groove is my favorite metal subgenre, followed by thrash and traditional heavy metal.  Lately, I've been rocking out to Bullet - a Swedish classic-sounding metal band.  They've been around since 2006, but their music sounds like it's from the 80's.  Killer stuff.  Great guitar work and perfect vocals for the style.  The singer sounds like a mix of Brian Johnson and Udo, if you can picture that.  The band is criminally underrated.  If you get a chance, try their 2011 album "Highway Pirates".  My favorite Bullet album, and it's a blast to listen to.  Happy listening!

Dimmu Borgir. The "realness" of their sound has done a sharp right turn after ICS Vortex and Mustis were fired. They were truly the heart and soul of the band musically. It was incredibly disappointing to learn that Shagrath wasn't treating them like it. Even in their live shows - sure it's quite a spectacle, but an entire choir cannot fill Vortex's spot. The energetic contrast between their shows from early 2000s vs more recent ones is striking. And disappointing, honestly. It leaves me wondering if Shagrath fired them from a place of jealousy. Vortex specifically had such a huge stage presence, no one can really compare. I hope whatever they are both doing, they are being appropriately appreciated. 

1 hour ago, SurgicalBrute said:

...but is their style of music really that much different from their early albums? I'm not really a huge follower of Dimmu Borgir, but haven't they always been a symphonic black metal band? They've just become more bombastic over the years

(Sorry if I'm not replying correctly, I'm a noob!) That's true, they've always been symphonic, but maybe I mean more of the quality of their production has changed, since Mustis was the powerhouse of their discography. He wrote the songs on keys first and wrote most of the lyrics (he left the band since Shagrath was not crediting him for this). And Vortex's clean vocals were IMO a key element to their sound. They were both the genuine talent in the band, so Dimmu has had to compensate for their loss by, well, becoming more bombastic. 

On 6/12/2022 at 9:35 PM, JamesT said:

Yep, exactly the same for me!  Groove is my favorite metal subgenre, followed by thrash and traditional heavy metal.  Lately, I've been rocking out to Bullet - a Swedish classic-sounding metal band.  They've been around since 2006, but their music sounds like it's from the 80's.  Killer stuff.  Great guitar work and perfect vocals for the style.  The singer sounds like a mix of Brian Johnson and Udo, if you can picture that.  The band is criminally underrated.  If you get a chance, try their 2011 album "Highway Pirates".  My favorite Bullet album, and it's a blast to listen to.  Happy listening!

The name is amazing and right up my way of thinking. Highway pirates. Ohh ahhhh matey 😁 thanks for the recommendation. It's very catchy. Pleased you like it. If I was looking for classic rock I'd go for this but not for me at the moment . Vocal wise I agree it's mostly Brian Johnson with other influences in there. I'm hearing Bruce Dickinson in places particularly the snarl on a number of tracks, Cinderella Tom kiefer style vocals too and there was one track which reminds of deep purple highway star solo a bit which is cool as I like that track alot. Udo I will Google that. Udo?never heard of them

Mispyrming album Algleymi is worth a listen especially island steingelda track. It's kind of rock n roll meets metal. Vocals kind of remind bit of machine head rob Flynn

I've been listening to yob's album our raw heart. I still have not heard all of it but I'm liking it what Ive heard so far. It kind of reminds me of doom with some grunge  Chris Cornell in places too. Cool cover art too.  I want to listen to few tracks before I buy. I don't know about you but I've bought albums on the basis of a few tracks only to find there the only tracks I like and the rest is filler 🫣

1 hour ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

The name is amazing and right up my way of thinking. Highway pirates. Ohh ahhhh matey 😁 thanks for the recommendation. It's very catchy. Pleased you like it. If I was looking for classic rock I'd go for this but not for me at the moment . Vocal wise I agree it's mostly Brian Johnson with other influences in there. I'm hearing Bruce Dickinson in places particularly the snarl on a number of tracks, Cinderella Tom kiefer style vocals too and there was one track which reminds of deep purple highway star solo a bit which is cool as I like that track alot. Udo I will Google that. Udo?never heard of them

Mispyrming album Algleymi is worth a listen especially island steingelda track. It's kind of rock n roll meets metal. Vocals kind of remind bit of machine head rob Flynn

I've been listening to yob's album our raw heart. I still have not heard all of it but I'm liking it what Ive heard so far. It kind of reminds me of doom with some grunge  Chris Cornell in places too. Cool cover art too.  I want to listen to few tracks before I buy. I don't know about you but I've bought albums on the basis of a few tracks only to find there the only tracks I like and the rest is filler 🫣

Glad you liked Bullet!  They're certainly one of my top 10 bands of all time.  Udo Dirkschneider is a classic metal vocalist - originally in Accept and now in his own band called U.D.O.  His voice is very unique.  

I'll definitely have to check out Mispyrming!  If it's rock 'n' roll meets metal, it's welcome in my collection.  

Yes, I've certainly bought an album based on a few tracks, only to find out that those were the only tracks I could get into.  It's such a bummer!  

I'm currently on a thrash kick - "M-16" by Sodom at the moment!

On 6/23/2022 at 1:30 AM, JamesT said:

Glad you liked Bullet!  They're certainly one of my top 10 bands of all time.  Udo Dirkschneider is a classic metal vocalist - originally in Accept and now in his own band called U.D.O.  His voice is very unique.  

I'll definitely have to check out Mispyrming!  If it's rock 'n' roll meets metal, it's welcome in my collection.  

Yes, I've certainly bought an album based on a few tracks, only to find out that those were the only tracks I could get into.  It's such a bummer!  

I'm currently on a thrash kick - "M-16" by Sodom at the moment!

For mispyrming the album I recommended is the one I mentioned, I don't know about there other stuff.  You might not like it as it's black metal. Although Id say it's got lots of other influences in it so it's not just black metal. The review described it as black n roll but I'm hearing other influences other than those 2. Track 3 is really cool and catchy reminds me of rob Flynn vocals for machine head.

Have you heard of yob. I know not much of them. I just bought there my raw heart album which I'm liking. If you don't like the first recommendation. You may well like yob. Kind of doom, stoner doom for this album at least. 

Accept I've heard some of there stuff. Yeah reminded me of acdc singing but with very catchy riffs. I'm not there biggest fan but will check out udo's solo career. 

Im sure bullet are well happy you rate them so highly. Have you seen them play live 

Thanks for recommendation

1 hour ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

For mispyrming the album I recommended is the one I mentioned, I don't know about there other stuff.  You might not like it as it's black metal. Although Id say it's got lots of other influences in it so it's not just black metal. The review described it as black n roll but I'm hearing other influences other than those 2. Track 3 is really cool and catchy reminds me of rob Flynn vocals for machine head.

Have you heard of yob. I know not much of them. I just bought there my raw heart album which I'm liking. If you don't like the first recommendation. You may well like yob. Kind of doom, stoner doom for this album at least. 

Accept I've heard some of there stuff. Yeah reminded me of acdc singing but with very catchy riffs. I'm not there biggest fan but will check out udo's solo career. 

Im sure bullet are well happy you rate them so highly. Have you seen them play live 

Thanks for recommendation

I have heard some of YOB and really like their stuff!  I haven't heard that album, though, so I'll be checking it out shortly.  

Unfortunately, I've never gotten to see Bullet play live.  I live in the States, and I'm not sure how often those guys tour over here.  I'm sure they tour all around their home country of Sweden, but if they ever come over to the States, I'll be right there on the front row!  Thanks for the heads-up on YOB.  I'm getting ready to listen to it now!

On 6/28/2022 at 1:02 AM, JamesT said:

I have heard some of YOB and really like their stuff!  I haven't heard that album, though, so I'll be checking it out shortly.  

Unfortunately, I've never gotten to see Bullet play live.  I live in the States, and I'm not sure how often those guys tour over here.  I'm sure they tour all around their home country of Sweden, but if they ever come over to the States, I'll be right there on the front row!  Thanks for the heads-up on YOB.  I'm getting ready to listen to it now!

Have you heard "our raw heart" and what did you think. 

Bullet probably don't tour United States much. You will have to go to Sweden to them 😉they've supported the mighty AC DC in Sweden shows. They play a handful of shows in Europe this year but most are in 🇸🇪 Bruce Dickinson played them on his radio show so it's pretty cool he's a fan too. 

On 6/29/2022 at 6:12 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Have you heard "our raw heart" and what did you think. 

Bullet probably don't tour United States much. You will have to go to Sweden to them 😉they've supported the mighty AC DC in Sweden shows. They play a handful of shows in Europe this year but most are in 🇸🇪 Bruce Dickinson played them on his radio show so it's pretty cool he's a fan too. 

Our Raw Heart is awesome!  I can't stop listening to it.  Fantastic stuff.

Yes, I'm afraid I'll have to book a ticket to Sweden to be able to see the mighty Bullet!  I just bought my ticket to see Crowbar next month, though.  They're one of my top 5 favorite bands of all time, and this will be the second time I've seen them live.  Incredibly heavy show!  I have all 12 of their albums.  If you're not familiar with them, they play a dirty, heavy style of groove-sludge.  Awesome stuff!

On 7/2/2022 at 11:26 PM, JamesT said:

Our Raw Heart is awesome!  I can't stop listening to it.  Fantastic stuff.

Yes, I'm afraid I'll have to book a ticket to Sweden to be able to see the mighty Bullet!  I just bought my ticket to see Crowbar next month, though.  They're one of my top 5 favorite bands of all time, and this will be the second time I've seen them live.  Incredibly heavy show!  I have all 12 of their albums.  If you're not familiar with them, they play a dirty, heavy style of groove-sludge.  Awesome stuff!

Crowbar live. Awesome your seeing them again. What do you mean the show is heavy. do you mean very loud 

There a band I've not listened much but they are famous name. Back in the nineties I saw them on TV late night and was impressed. Not as much into groove metal as you but I do like some of it alot. What's your favourite album of theres

Im seeing conjurer in November which Im Looking forward to. Just got there new album which I'm liking alot. There a heavy metal band who are bit eclectic in influences. Quite a bit of doom in there though 

On 7/5/2022 at 6:41 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Crowbar live. Awesome your seeing them again. What do you mean the show is heavy. do you mean very loud 

There a band I've not listened much but they are famous name. Back in the nineties I saw them on TV late night and was impressed. Not as much into groove metal as you but I do like some of it alot. What's your favourite album of theres

Im seeing conjurer in November which Im Looking forward to. Just got there new album which I'm liking alot. There a heavy metal band who are bit eclectic in influences. Quite a bit of doom in there though 

Yes, I can't wait!  August 14 is gonna be epic!  They're already such a heavy band because of how downtuned their guitars are.  But in a live setting, it literally makes your teeth rattle.  It's crazy!  My favorite album is their 1996 release "Broken Glass", followed closely by their 1998 release "Odd Fellows Rest" and their 2014 release "Symmetry in Black".  Out of all 12 albums, I enjoy every single one, though.  

That's awesome that you're seeing Conjurer!  What's your favorite song from their new album?  I do enjoy some doom every now and then, so I'll make sure to check out more of their stuff.  What's their best album, in your opinion? 

On 7/7/2022 at 2:23 AM, JamesT said:

Yes, I can't wait!  August 14 is gonna be epic!  They're already such a heavy band because of how downtuned their guitars are.  But in a live setting, it literally makes your teeth rattle.  It's crazy!  My favorite album is their 1996 release "Broken Glass", followed closely by their 1998 release "Odd Fellows Rest" and their 2014 release "Symmetry in Black".  Out of all 12 albums, I enjoy every single one, though.  

That's awesome that you're seeing Conjurer!  What's your favorite song from their new album?  I do enjoy some doom every now and then, so I'll make sure to check out more of their stuff.  What's their best album, in your opinion? 

Conjurer are a excellent band as far as I'm concerned. They get lots of support from the heavy music magazines in the UK which is deserved as far as I'm concerned as I like the music.   It dwells is a track I like alot from new album pathos so heavy but with light sections . Having two lead vocalists works well too. They do different vocal ranges which I like alot and they complement each other excellently. Favourite album id say mire. Although new album pathos runs close it close. I'm looking forward to seeing them live in November. There going to rock out  so much. I may take my ear defenders. I don't know if there going to go motorhead on me 😉

Cool crowbar. I remember seeing them on late night TV and being very impressed with there sound and the heavy slow guitars. Rattling teeth for you with crowbar. Good thing I'm not going as  I'd probably get rattling knees as well. 😉bassy bands. Yeah when I saw pallbearer they were very bassy too and my cousin looked like he'd seen a ghost at the end of the show. It was his first metal show. Bless him😁talk about baptism of fire 

Cool will check out those crowbar albums. There later stuff is excellent from what I've heard and the thrashy bits in there stuff was an unexpected bonus 

On 7/11/2022 at 6:21 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Conjurer are a excellent band as far as I'm concerned. They get lots of support from the heavy music magazines in the UK which is deserved as far as I'm concerned as I like the music.   It dwells is a track I like alot from new album pathos so heavy but with light sections . Having two lead vocalists works well too. They do different vocal ranges which I like alot and they complement each other excellently. Favourite album id say mire. Although new album pathos runs close it close. I'm looking forward to seeing them live in November. There going to rock out  so much. I may take my ear defenders. I don't know if there going to go motorhead on me 😉

Cool crowbar. I remember seeing them on late night TV and being very impressed with there sound and the heavy slow guitars. Rattling teeth for you with crowbar. Good thing I'm not going as  I'd probably get rattling knees as well. 😉bassy bands. Yeah when I saw pallbearer they were very bassy too and my cousin looked like he'd seen a ghost at the end of the show. It was his first metal show. Bless him😁talk about baptism of fire 

Cool will check out those crowbar albums. There later stuff is excellent from what I've heard and the thrashy bits in there stuff was an unexpected bonus 

That is a crazy first metal show!  He had a fantastic introduction!  

Yes, Crowbar will occasionally pick up the pace, and it really adds some nice variety to the sound.  Their tagline throughout the years has been:  "none heavier".  And I'd have to agree.  Less than a month away now - let the countdown begin! 

What have you been jamming to this weekend?  I've been playing nothing but thrash for more than a week now.  I went with some Death Angel and Chemicide yesterday, and I've also been playing a lot of Evile lately. 

21 minutes ago, JamesT said:

What have you been jamming to this weekend?  I've been playing nothing but thrash for more than a week now.  I went with some Death Angel and Chemicide yesterday, and I've also been playing a lot of Evile lately. 

So James do you think you could give us your 20 favorite thrash (or thrashy) albums that have come out since the year 2000?

2 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

I've been trying to get on the metalsucks website all morning to see their list but it wont load for me.

Damn Aussie internet. 

It was all the mainstream shit you'd expect. Warbringer, Kreator, Power Trip, Municipal Waste, Gamma Bomb, Ghoul, Toxic Holocaust, The Haunted, Havok, Exodus, Witchery, Sodom, Hellripper, Death Angel, Carnal Forge...and then a few surprises like Hypnosia, Nifelheim, Desaster and Black Fast.

I keep getting time outs, but that's the only site. Was Metalsucks the website that got in the shit 5 or so years ago because of racist bullshit or some such thing? Maybe we are so far behind the times that we still ban the site so we don't all become racist from reading it.

I like seeing the surprise ones. Sometimes it's funny reading what the sites think are underrate gems.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Damn Aussie internet. 

It was all the mainstream shit you'd expect. Warbringer, Kreator, Power Trip, Municipal Waste, Gamma Bomb, Ghoul, Toxic Holocaust, The Haunted, Havok, Exodus, Witchery, Sodom, Hellripper, Death Angel, Carnal Forge...and then a few surprises like Hypnosis, Nifelheim, Desaster and Black Fast.

Sounds decent to me.  I love how you call Hellripper mainstream.  In fact many of those bands weren't that mainstream - I got into Ghoul when they were new and they were as obscure as shit.  Same with Warbringer (though o idea what album Metalsucks is referring too as I too can't view their site).

You'd have to be more specific about what incident you're talking about, but I'd say that most likely wasn't them, as they're very "Brooklyn hipster" in their world view of things. They're the site that published some cringe laden "manifesto" about how they were "proud SJW's" and basically had everyone laughing at them for about a month. They also tried to cancel Hells Headbangers one time too.

Think they're having issues with the site...it was acting a bit weird for me too when I checked it a minute ago

EDIT: Considering I used to be able to find Warbringer cd's at Best Buy, calling them mainstream seems accurate

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

So James do you think you could give us your 20 favorite thrash (or thrashy) albums that have come out since the year 2000?

I'll certainly give it a shot!  Overkill will dominate the list, so here it goes:

"The Electric Age" - Overkill

"Ironbound" - Overkill

"White Devil Armory" - Overkill

"The Grinding Wheel" - Overkill

"The Wings of War" - Overkill

"Enter the Grave" - Evile

"The Call" - Angelus Apatrida

"Formation of Damnation" - Testament

"Titans of Creation" - Testament

"Fire & Damnation" - Exumer

"Hostile Defiance" - Exumer

"Combat Cathedral" - Assassin

"Rise of Violence" - freaKings

"Drunk or Dead" - Alkoholizer

"Time is Up" - Havok

"The Dream Calls for Blood" - Death Angel

"The Evil Divide" - Death Angel

"Humanicide" - Death Angel

"When Death Comes" - Artillery

"Shovel Headed Kill Machine" - Exodus 

I currently have 1,811 songs on my thrash playlist in my music library, which amounts to more than 133 hours.  So I'm not even close to the bottom of the barrel, but I tried to limit it to 20, per request!

Metalsucks seems to be running again, so here's their list (ranks are inverted...Warbringer was number one)

1. Carnal Forge, Firedemon
  2. Hellripper, The Affair of the Poisons
  3. Exodus, Persona Non Grata
  4. Desaster, The Oath of an Iron Ritual
  5. Death Angel, Killing Season
  6. Death of Kings, Kneel Before None
  7. Havok, Time Is Up
  8. Toxic Holocaust, Chemistry of Consciousness
  9. Sodom, M-16
  10. Hypnosia, Extreme Hatred
  11. Black Fast, Terms of Surrender
  12. Nifelheim, Envoy of Lucifer
  13. The Haunted, The Haunted Made Me Do It
  14. Ghoul, Splatterthrash
  15. Witchery, Symphony for the Devil
  16. Municipal Waste, The Art of Partying
  17. Gama Bomb, Citizen Brain
  18. Power Trip, Nightmare Logic
  19. Kreator, Violent Revolution
  20. Warbringer, Woe to the Vanquished

Still not working here, maybe I've upset them!

It's an interesting list. There are definitely albums on there that I wouldn't list and I'm surprised by a few.

51 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

You'd have to be more specific about what incident you're talking about, but I'd say that most likely wasn't them, as they're very "Brooklyn hipster" in their world view of things. They're the site that published some cringe laden "manifesto" about how they were "proud SJW's" and basically had everyone laughing at them for about a month. They also tried to cancel Hells Headbangers one time too.

Think they're having issues with the site...it was acting a bit weird for me too when I checked it a minute ago

EDIT: Considering I used to be able to find Warbringer cd's at Best Buy, calling them mainstream seems accurate

I don't remember the specific incident. I just remember a metal news site being hammered for doing something people considered racist and offensive, or the website owner was doing such things elsewhere.

14 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Still not working here, maybe I've upset them!

Yeah, it crapped out again even as I was copying that list. It's definitely something on their side. Honestly, if Vince and Axl had tried to make that list it would have been way worse. Rhombus is an idiot, but he's still a step up from those two, knowledge wise

I suppose any list is always going to be met with some disagreement. I used to wonder what the hell some of the writers at Metal Injection were on when their yearly lists came out. But after reading some of their reviews and realising that they really don't like upsetting anyone so they give middle of the road ratings to just about everything it's no wonder their yearly lists are so obscure some times.