When metal bands p*ssed off there fans by changing style ???????

blaaacdoommmmfan

13 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

The ones I find funny, and there's been a few over the years, is when a keyboard warrior slags the crap out of some album only to have a band member come and ask them what the problems were and suddenly the keyboard warrior goes all quiet. I've seen a few band members loose it on forums because people didn't like their output, that's kind of funny too.

One of my favourites was when Monstorsity recived a medium review from a webzine I was on, and the bassist lost his shit and started sending badly spelled hatemail. This was a webzine with few readers that no one except those involved really cared about. The guy could barely string two sentences together, but he was really pissed. He was also quite racist/antisemitic from what I can remember.

On 10/3/2021 at 11:31 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

I'd go further than that. I'd say it's a shame mettalica who are in some ways my favourite band ever have not done another super amazing album since master of puppets. That was the high point for me. The album's that followed are not all that bad really but don't come any where near imo. Enter sandman is iconic metal popular track imo though. Ok Lulu album with Lou Reed is terrible imo but I'm sure fair load must like it . Load was the album when I stopped listening to them for number of years. I was so disappointed.mama said is not a bad track but Metallica doing country was too much for me at the time. Did you like the Lulu Lou Reed duet release they did.

Agree that black album was disappointing they stopped the thrash stuff as much. Even though justice was far from perfect. I used to listen to that after load and think justice is way better imo 😁

What did you think for load release. Metal was even more absent imo here

i thought load was ok, but the whole lulu lou reed stuff was just not what im looking for. country music to me is like some wierd form of folk metal, if that makes sense... combine it with metallica leaving their thrash roots, just, no. 😑 

opinions on death magnetic? i thought that was a decent record, sorta like the old thrash stuff.

8 hours ago, Sheol said:

One of my favourites was when Monstorsity recived a medium review from a webzine I was on, and the bassist lost his shit and started sending badly spelled hatemail. This was a webzine with few readers that no one except those involved really cared about. The guy could barely string two sentences together, but he was really pissed. He was also quite racist/antisemitic from what I can remember.

I liked the fight between someone who may or may not have been Sebastian Bach against some wannbe be with a god complex on the trash mag Blabbermouth. That ended up in both arguing for a meet up to see who could throw the lamest punch. The same god wannabe had a similar fight with Dee Snider but that didn't get physical, just two supposedly grown men crying at each other

8 hours ago, Sheol said:

The most brazen example of this that I've seen in recent years was when AMG reviewed the latest Spirit Adrift album and the main songwriter/guitarist/vocalist appeared in the comments to voice his displeasure with the review. He preceded to get into it with the writer of the review, other AMG staff and regular commenters, and just generally digging himself deeper and deeper into a hole with each response. He was quite confrontational and clearly very upset lol. 

The real kicker here is..... it wasn't even a negative review. They gave the album a 3/5, ya know... a "good but not great" type of score. And he lost his shit over that. I'd hate to see his response to an actual negative review haha.

16 minutes ago, navybsn said:

I hadn't thought about AMG in years. The comments section was quite a dumpster fire last I was there. Not as bad as Blabbermouth's, but not a whole lot better. Sorry I missed that fiasco though. I bet it was entertaining.

It's all still there if you want to wade through it...

https://www.angrymetalguy.com/spirit-adrift-enlightened-in-eternity-review/

Another site that gets a few arguments between bands and fans is Metal Archives.

But the butthurt site award goes to Metal Injection who fell for the ruse where one guy created a band and booked himself a tour based on hype he created for himself. I can't remember the name of the band created but Metal Injection fell for it, pushed it hard and then when the ruse was exposed Metal Injection spent weeks trying to act like they were didn't fall for anything. The guy did hurt some people, venues and the like who booked his ruse and had one or two people turn up, but Metal Injection acted like they didn't help create the ruse by not actually checking out who the guy was.

4 hours ago, eternalcrypt said:

i thought load was ok, but the whole lulu lou reed stuff was just not what im looking for. country music to me is like some wierd form of folk metal, if that makes sense... combine it with metallica leaving their thrash roots, just, no. 😑 

opinions on death magnetic? i thought that was a decent record, sorta like the old thrash stuff.

I'm pleased you liked the death magnetic album eternalcrypt. It is to my ears like the old thrash stuff in places. A big improvement from st anger imo.   Even still  I preferred hetfields old style of singing on the early albums. It was less polished but had more urgency and venom to my ears at least. I've read somewhere he was a reluctant lead singer. Was mustaine originally the singer. Tbh I know nothing about when mustaine was in the band

out of all there albums. Lulu is the one I don't like also.ive heard it and it was just not for me at all too. I'm not suggesting we set up a we don't like Lou Reed Metallica album fan club with posters and marches though😁that would be mean and possibly bit nuts

Load had catchy songs but too many for my liking. would have preferred album with less tracks.I definitely would review it as ok too but imo not amazing. A step down in quality from the black album imo. 

1 hour ago, KillaKukumba said:

I liked the fight between someone who may or may not have been Sebastian Bach against some wannbe be with a god complex on the trash mag Blabbermouth. That ended up in both arguing for a meet up to see who could throw the lamest punch. The same god wannabe had a similar fight with Dee Snider but that didn't get physical, just two supposedly grown men crying at each other

Surely Dee snider crying with laughter at the other person. 😂

23 minutes ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Surely Dee snider crying with laughter at the other person. 😂

Dee pretty much instigated the shit fight because he can't keep his whinging mouth shut. The guy is/was an internet troll, a piece of shit that used fake identities to make stupid anonymous comments and both Dee and Sebastian dropped down to his level and made idiots of themselves to fuel this guys fire.

1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said:

It's all still there if you want to wade through it...

https://www.angrymetalguy.com/spirit-adrift-enlightened-in-eternity-review/

Well much Ado about not much. Maybe the really good stuff was deleted, but I didn't see much over the top. Dude clearly has beef with the site that is out of touch with the actual feelings of the reviewers about the actual music. If it was my site, I'd just refuse to cover them any longer and move along. No need to give time to whiny fucks with mediocre music who make a production over perceived insults. If he doesn't like those relatively tame comments and even positive review, he should probably avoid actually going about forums and whatnot to see what people actually think of his band.

On 10/5/2021 at 11:31 PM, KillaKukumba said:

Dee pretty much instigated the shit fight because he can't keep his whinging mouth shut. The guy is/was an internet troll, a piece of shit that used fake identities to make stupid anonymous comments and both Dee and Sebastian dropped down to his level and made idiots of themselves to fuel this guys fire.

Ignoring the troll would have been better. Your right from what I know about Dee snider from interviews. He is quite the talker and from the twisted sister days quite a fighter if someone  provoked him

Tbh I know nothing about this so I will leave it at that. I was just having some fun with my comment. 😁

I think it's a problem many musos face, they let their egos take over and regret what happens later. Dee's and Sebastian are both incredible front men, both can sing and both were at one point on top of the world, but they both should have known better that to try and fight a troll.

But they aren't the only ones who do it. KK Downing gets a mic shoved in his face and he splatters the most unbelievable bullshit possible, many of his stories aren't just contradicted by facts they are contradicted by his own stories from previous days. Dave Mustaine is the same, more shit that substance. Axl Rose, Lars Ulrich, Scott Ian, the list goes on and on. Some of these guys have been mouthpieces from the start, some change mid career, (which ties in with the title too because you can bet some of them loose fans for their attitude change as much as their music change).

We should all live by the old saying "it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt."

7 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

We should all live by the old saying "it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt."

This is double true for musicians. Another hilarious moment was when everyone was up in arms over Set Teitan of Watain throwing a Nazi salute in a picture. The band put out a statement basically saying it was taken out of context but for peace' sake Set would step down, but he was absolutely not a Nazi.

Set goes on to play with Absurd.🤣🤣

• 3 weeks later...

Metallica is the best example of this. The first three Metallica albums were great for their time and I still listen to them on occasion but as soon as Cliff died they began to change their style until they cut their hair and you got Load & ReLoad and now I can't even stomach listening to them anymore because they're basically just a hard rock band with the word "Metal" in their name, so everyone thinks that they're still a metal band when they really haven't been one since ...And Justice for All (which being completely fair, was never my favorite album by them).

Slayer sort of changed their style too, but people liked them more for it. My favorite period of Slayer is like Show No Mercy through Hell Awaits because they were that early black metal thing that wasn't really well defined yet (Mercyful Fate often falls into this category and the kvlt kiddies get pissed about it when you say that Mercyful Fate was an early black metal band because they feel threatened by Mercyful Fate or something but let's be honest here: a lot of black metal bands cover Mercyful Fate so it's appropriate to put them in the "first wave of Black Metal" category in my mind).

Another band I can think of that changed their sound and turned a lot of people off was Bathory. They went from true first wave black metal to Viking/Pagan metal and the kvlt kiddies are willing to say "Bathory isn't black metal" when they know that they can get away with it.

Graveland is another one: They started off as black metal and did the same thing Bathory did and went viking/pagan on more recent albums. Only thing is Graveland fans can deal with it.

On 10/24/2021 at 2:00 AM, NokturnalBoredom said:

Metallica is the best example of this. The first three Metallica albums were great for their time and I still listen to them on occasion but as soon as Cliff died they began to change their style until they cut their hair and you got Load & ReLoad and now I can't even stomach listening to them anymore because they're basically just a hard rock band with the word "Metal" in their name, so everyone thinks that they're still a metal band when they really haven't been one since ...And Justice for All (which being completely fair, was never my favorite album by them).

Slayer sort of changed their style too, but people liked them more for it. My favorite period of Slayer is like Show No Mercy through Hell Awaits because they were that early black metal thing that wasn't really well defined yet (Mercyful Fate often falls into this category and the kvlt kiddies get pissed about it when you say that Mercyful Fate was an early black metal band because they feel threatened by Mercyful Fate or something but let's be honest here: a lot of black metal bands cover Mercyful Fate so it's appropriate to put them in the "first wave of Black Metal" category in my mind).

Another band I can think of that changed their sound and turned a lot of people off was Bathory. They went from true first wave black metal to Viking/Pagan metal and the kvlt kiddies are willing to say "Bathory isn't black metal" when they know that they can get away with it.

Graveland is another one: They started off as black metal and did the same thing Bathory did and went viking/pagan on more recent albums. Only thing is Graveland fans can deal with it.

Those first 3 Metallica albums nokturnal are amongst my favourite metal albums ever. It seemed so easy on puppets to do just another as good.They seemed to know the formula. Cliff died as you said and that was there peak. I'd see them live if they weren't so expensive for there classic songs. I rarely listen to anything past puppets anymore. Still they did well for themselves financially🤑💸💰💲💵💵💵💵

The early albums of slayer are cool. Show No mercy is very good imo even if the reviews I read said otherwise. Your right slayers sound changed a bit over time but they sort of sounded like slayer from what I heard anyway and I liked what I heard even to there last album.they had that intensity and it just worked for me although I've not heard all there albums. 

I've heard lots of people say over the years that if it wasn't for Cliff's death Metallica wouldn't have changed like they did because Cliff wouldn't have allowed it. (I know that's not exactly what you're saying).

But I think, and I might be the only one, if there was a changing point it's more to do with Lars seeing stardom especially through being on tour with Ozzy that changed them. Lars was programmed at an early age to think success was his, he knew Metallica was kicking arse in those early days but he could also look to the future. He could see the crowds Ozzy was selling to and knew what his band needed to do to cash in on that. Cliff may not have liked the path they followed, he might even have left eventually, but Lars was seeing the path to stardom and riches and it was always his band.

That said I can still listen to most of the Metallica catalogue just not everyday. I can also listen to the entire Slayer catalogue and really like God Hates Us All which many people claim is a terrible album.

3 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Those first 3 Metallica albums nokturnal are amongst my favourite metal albums ever.

Not gonna lie, I would get the first three Metallica albums on vinyl if I could find originals from the 80s. They're great albums from the infancy of metal and I'm not denying that. I just don't like the direction they went in post Cliff Burton, ...And Justice For All just didn't do much of anything for me & neither did the black album or any of the stuff since then. They were definitely three of my favorite albums in high school, but I sort of overplayed them (I listened to the three of them every day in the 9th grade) so now they're sort of albums that I'd like to have if I could find originals, but I wouldn't go out spending $30 a piece on the 180g reissues.

4 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

The early albums of slayer are cool. Show No mercy is very good imo even if the reviews I read said otherwise. Your right slayers sound changed a bit over time but they sort of sounded like slayer from what I heard anyway and I liked what I heard even to there last album.

I first got into Slayer through Show No Mercy when I was in the tenth grade, because I was listening to internet radio and heard the song "black magic" and I liked the first two albums, Live Undead, Haunting the Chapel but Reign in Blood did not do it for me because they went full thrash and dropped a lot of their proto-black metal image that they had going on those first two albums. I'm not saying that Reign in Blood was a bad album, again it's just one of those ones that I've listened to so many times that it's sort of stale for me now.

I've never listened to any Slayer after Reign in Blood (no South of Heaven, no Seasons in the Abyss, none of it). It's not that I don't like Slayer, it's just that I liked their very early stuff a lot more because it was fundamental to the creation of what we now understand to be black metal. Same with Celtic Frost... I like the early stuff up to Into the Pandemonium but as soon as you hit the Cold Lake & Vanity/Nemesis period, I'm no longer interested in them.

The first two Mercyful Fate albums were amazing as well. I never got into anything they did post Don't Break the Oath though (and am still looking for a copy of Melissa on vinyl)

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2021 at 1:00 AM, NokturnalBoredom said:

Not gonna lie, I would get the first three Metallica albums on vinyl if I could find originals from the 80s. They're great albums from the infancy of metal and I'm not denying that. I just don't like the direction they went in post Cliff Burton, ...And Justice For All just didn't do much of anything for me & neither did the black album or any of the stuff since then. They were definitely three of my favorite albums in high school, but I sort of overplayed them (I listened to the three of them every day in the 9th grade) so now they're sort of albums that I'd like to have if I could find originals, but I wouldn't go out spending $30 a piece on the 180g reissues.

I first got into Slayer through Show No Mercy when I was in the tenth grade, because I was listening to internet radio and heard the song "black magic" and I liked the first two albums, Live Undead, Haunting the Chapel but Reign in Blood did not do it for me because they went full thrash and dropped a lot of their proto-black metal image that they had going on those first two albums. I'm not saying that Reign in Blood was a bad album, again it's just one of those ones that I've listened to so many times that it's sort of stale for me now.

I've never listened to any Slayer after Reign in Blood (no South of Heaven, no Seasons in the Abyss, none of it). It's not that I don't like Slayer, it's just that I liked their very early stuff a lot more because it was fundamental to the creation of what we now understand to be black metal. Same with Celtic Frost... I like the early stuff up to Into the Pandemonium but as soon as you hit the Cold Lake & Vanity/Nemesis period, I'm no longer interested in them.

The first two Mercyful Fate albums were amazing as well. I never got into anything they did post Don't Break the Oath though (and am still looking for a copy of Melissa on vinyl)

I agree there's some albums you like so much that for variety of reasons you just never connect with there music for follow up releases, weather it's change of sound or just the music quality dips a bit e.g justice for all. I just don't like it as much as puppets. One is cool though

Overplaying stuff. I did that to master of puppets. Ive overplayed that album. I just don't like it as much as I used to. I still listen to it from time to time

Nothing wrong with what your saying at all.  Early opeth I like alot. Anything past morningrise I just don't like as much. Although the prog stuff of there's I've liked more than there metal albums post morningrise. 

Show no mercy is quite a cool album. Not bought it but heard it a few times. That's an album I need to hear again. Thanks for reminder. preferred it to reign in blood too and I like that album alot. Anything after reign in.... is not as good for me though but I do have seasons in the abyss which I like  and listen to from time to time. 

I have two bands in mind: Ulver (Black Metal -> Ambient/Electronic) and Diablo Swing Orchestra (Avant-Garde -> Avant-WTF!?)

When both bands decided to explore new musical horizons in their respective moments... I felt how my soul imploded after getting burnt in its spiritual balls using salt, sunlight, lemon juice and Yoko Ono's singing. It was a pretty painful, hard-to-explain experience in my life. I thought "What did I do wrong or what obscure brand of toilet paper did I wrongly and naively buy to make the universe turn against metal?"

There are many other examples, including the ones people already pointed out.

But those two... man... SERIOUSLY!?!?

I don't think many metal bands manage to pull off a decent genre switcheroo.

The one's that come to mind:

Bathory - from early black ->thrash -> folk  HOWEVER the switch from folk -> extreme metal suck bollocks (Octagon).  Switchback to folkier stuff was haphazard but eventually resulted in the two brilliant Nordland albums

Behemoth - from black metal -> death metal (though lost plot over years).

Carcass - grindcore -> death metal -> melodic death metal

Corrossion of Conformity - from hardcore/crossover -> southern style metal

Napalm Death -grindcore -> death metal -> groove metal (Diatribes etc) ->back to grindcore.  Though output has not been consistent.  

Pantera - from glam metal -> groove metal

Paradise Lost - from death doom -> gothic metal.

Pestilence - from thrash metal -> death metal -> cool jazz weirdness with Spheres.  Resurrected band is shit.

Suicidal Tendencies - from pure hardcore -> thrash -> almost avant garde thrash/punk

Tiamat managed to do something awesome with Wildhoney but they lose me after that and I can't comment on whether it's any good as I don't listen to alt/goth rock.

Iron Maiden evolved into a prog band and At The Gates into a thrashy death metal band but they're gradual evolutions so I don't think they count.

12 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Paradise Lost - from death doom -> gothic metal.

I remember how they tried to go back to their roots in "The Plague Within" in 2015: there was this intense and positive response from the metal community. I was pretty excited too. Nice album, by the way. They managed to evoke that sound of melancholic despair, once lost when they switched to a more smooth, digestible gothic approach.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2021 at 6:08 PM, Mikkapantli said:

I remember how they tried to go back to their roots in "The Plague Within" in 2015: there was this intense and positive response from the metal community. I was pretty excited too. Nice album, by the way. They managed to evoke that sound of melancholic despair, once lost when they switched to a more smooth, digestible gothic approach.

I will check this out as prefer there death doom stuff. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2021 at 12:58 AM, Karambit said:

Cold Lake by Celtic Frost sends a shiver down my spine. I've been listening to the so-called worst albums by popular bands (last one I did was Virtual XI by Iron Maiden) but this is too much. Glam can work, not here though.

That's good idea. Motley's crues debut I think is one terrible album to go gold sales. I don't get why people like that one and they do. The overuse of cowbell on one track is the highlight for me. 😊. Virtual XI yeah well done for giving that a go. Not heard it.   

What's next on your list.  I've got suspicions that heritage by opeth is considered there worst album by metal fans yet I quite like it.

Is there a website for so called worst albums?