When metal bands p*ssed off there fans by changing style ???????

blaaacdoommmmfan

I was reading about how suicide silence really annoyed there fans with a change of direction from deathcore to a nu metal .the fans were highly fu*ked  about this.???? They've gone heavy again apparently.(never listened to them) 

what  other bands have really annoyed there fans so much that a big part of the audience never had much to do with them again. There's got to be some good ones surely. I know of a few but would like to find out what others have to say about this. 

Ok since no one's responding to this I will put in one.

1) Metallica- when they released the black album they really alienated  alot of there fans as changing there style from thrash metal to radio friendly  hard rock/ or soft metal(my term ?) in an effort to be mega stars was one of the biggest ways to sell out, really piss off your fans and lose many of them in the process. I bought this album as my first metal album back in the day. On first listen I was like ok let's get there earlier stuff to hear propper metal ?I was not disappointed with puppets. On black album they made loads of cash but they lost alot of fans in the process. They were popular before the black album. My mate reckons they were high up on the bill at festivals but they wanted to be headlining and they changed alot to do that. 

If anybody has anything to add that would be good re Metallica or any other bands that did similar things to piss off and lose lots of there fans. 

I agree with Behemoth. The new album was poor in comparison with the The Satanist.

But for me, the one that really pissed me off was Metallica.  Just like blaaacdoommmmfan says, they went from being the best metal band to being the biggest sell outs. However, I have to say that The God That Failed off the black album is one of my favourite Metallica songs. Its heavy as fuck and they only one on the black album worthy of their earlier music.

8 hours ago, noblastbeats said:

However, I have to say that The God That Failed off the black album is one of my favourite Metallica songs. Its heavy as fuck and they only one on the black album worthy of their earlier music.

The whole album is untouchable, in my mind!

18 hours ago, Balor said:

Behemoth would likely be a good entry to this discussion.  Their most recent album was greatly disappointing to me in a lot of ways - thematically and musically.

However, I still enjoy their earlier material.

Will have a look on the web and ask a few people. There certainly a big band for black metal. I know of them but know little of there music. Sounds like they've changed there sound a bit. Maybe they wanted to earn more money to live a more comfortable life. If anybody else has input for this that would be great. 

13 hours ago, noblastbeats said:

I agree with Behemoth. The new album was poor in comparison with the The Satanist.

But for me, the one that really pissed me off was Metallica.  Just like blaaacdoommmmfan says, they went from being the best metal band to being the biggest sell outs. However, I have to say that The God That Failed off the black album is one of my favourite Metallica songs. Its heavy as fuck and they only one on the black album worthy of their earlier music.

May have to check out god that failed again. ?Probably my main issue with black album is how polished it is. I mean for me it's still metal but very commercial metal. It's a very listenable album  but it just does not feel like an album fitting of what  Metallica were doing at there up until then. I know alot of other people have similar problems with it. Mind you album's changed even more after this one which made me bitter and annoyed. The country ballad mama said had me fuming. ? Can this be Metallica ?Saying all this I would fucking like to see them live again to hear all the old hits and best mate says they play mostly old classics for gigs but price of tickets is normally above what I'm willing to pay. 

2 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Will have a look on the web and ask a few people. There certainly a big band for black metal. I know of them but know little of there music. Sounds like they've changed there sound a bit. Maybe they wanted to earn more money to live a more comfortable life. If anybody else has input for this that would be great. 

I think money was definitely a big factor in their evolution (the amount of stuff they market is testament to that!).  They began by playing pretty standard/traditional sounding bm, before later adding more death metal elements.  I have liked stuff from most of their albums, but I just did not like their most recent one.  It struck me as shallow.

10 hours ago, Balor said:

I have liked stuff from most of their albums, but I just did not like their most recent one.  It struck me as shallow.

I completely agree. Overly long songs which just disappear into noodledom, fairly standard riffs and the annoying overall production sound. Whenever I hear a modern metallica song I just wonder why they don;t go back to the production for MOP. That record has the best production sound of any Metallica album.

6 hours ago, noblastbeats said:

I completely agree. Overly long songs which just disappear into noodledom, fairly standard riffs and the annoying overall production sound. Whenever I hear a modern metallica song I just wonder why they don;t go back to the production for MOP. That record has the best production sound of any Metallica album.

I wasn't just the songwriting, though.  I thought it was conceptually shallow too.  Behemoth presents themselves as being free-thinkers who fight against the indoctrination of Christianity, yet they go on to hire children to sing in their Satanic songs.

14 hours ago, noblastbeats said:

I completely agree. Overly long songs and fairly standard riffs and the annoying overall production sound. Whenever I hear a modern metallica song I just wonder why they don;t go back to the production for MOP. That record has the best production sound of any Metallica album.

I have not heard most recent album but the reviews I read  said album had too many songs, plus alot of the songs were too long otherwise, so I have not heard it having been disappointed by previous releases since mop album.

Your right with Metallica that best thing would be for them to go back to the sound of mop album or even justice album.  Not sure they don't go back to that sound because they can't or they won't. One crazy theory I have is as follows which I thought for decades now how much of a loss for the band was cliff burton when he tragically died. He did not have many writing credits that I'm aware of but was he a catalyst for getting the band to create great album's. ? 

29 minutes ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

I have not heard most recent album but the reviews I read  said album had too many songs, plus alot of the songs were too long otherwise, so I have not heard it having been disappointed by previous releases since mop album.

Too many songs?  My version is a 3 cd box set!  The best thing that came on that album was the bonus live set on the third disc.

10 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

One crazy theory I have is as follows which I thought for decades now how much of a loss for the band was cliff burton when he tragically died. He did not have many writing credits that I'm aware of but was he a catalyst for getting the band to create great album's. ? 

He was a massive loss, the last songs he had direct input into were a couple on Justice. Its no coincidence to me that their direction changed massively after that. James is on record saying Cliff was almost the leader of the band, always pushing them to go further and I think that since Justice, Metallica have lost their direction. Cliff would never have allowed the Load/Reload era to happen.

19 hours ago, noblastbeats said:

He was a massive loss, the last songs he had direct input into were a couple on Justice. Its no coincidence to me that their direction changed massively after that. James is on record saying Cliff was almost the leader of the band, always pushing them to go further and I think that since Justice, Metallica have lost their direction. Cliff would never have allowed the Load/Reload era to happen.

Your right re cliff buttons influence on mettalica. Seems like He really got them working really hard which probably helps explain there drop in form after his tragic death. It's again just my opinion and probably alot of others. Also found a very good master of puppets documentary on you tube. it's called  hypnotizing power:the story of master of puppets.   By Stuart kirwan.  It's really good, watched about half of it so far. Would recommend if you've not seen it. Goes through how the album came about. Very interesting. Documentary might go some way to explain why they changed sound after justice album. Can't remember there words on documentary but something on line we make music we like period. Lars seeing guns n roses go massive must have got  Lars thinking he wanted to be a megastar too and they even got appetite for destruction producer on justice album until James and Kirk said no way Lars?. After all the money they've made imo I am hoping they try seriously to do an old school album. Can't see they've got much to lose. But at least we've got the early album's. Oh yeahhhhh ? 

1 hour ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Do you reckon Metallica could work with Dave mustaine again either as band member or producer of some kind or is this just crazy considering there history. Could be awesome though as loved  the stuff Dave did with them. ???Drinks on me if it did?

I could see Dave doing a guest solo like he did for Body Count. It would be awesome if they got him on board as producer for any new album!

On 4/9/2020 at 2:38 AM, Balor said:

Behemoth would likely be a good entry to this discussion.  Their most recent album was greatly disappointing to me in a lot of ways - thematically and musically.

However, I still enjoy their earlier material.

I read in metal hammer that after doing the Satanist nergal got bad writer's block apparently as result of how pleased he was with the Satanist. He just had no energy to create new metal music. He did that side project me and that man which from what I heard of it was ok but hardly amazing, did you hear that. not even sure of genre but it's not metal. By the time the current one was done alot of acdc was listened to which had an influence on the album. Metal hammer review as I remember was a good one but they said recommended if you like acdc. Obviously not you or no bast beats liked it and a fair few othera. I guess it was a change from there normal sound. Apparently theyve got loads of ideas for new album. I guess your hoping they will go back to there roots or hoping less acdc will be listened too 

13 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Obviously not you or no bast beats liked it and a fair few othera. I guess it was a change from there normal sound. Apparently theyve got loads of ideas for new album. I guess your hoping they will go back to there roots or hoping less acdc will be listened too 

It just seemed a bit tired. Behemoth records are usually bristling with a dark energy and I Loved You At Your Darkest was the record of a band not sure what they were aiming for IMO. The AC/DC connection is interesting. I have nothing against AC/DC they were one of my gateway to metal bands when I was a kid in the 70's :) 

18 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

I read in metal hammer that after doing the Satanist nergal got bad writer's block apparently as result of how pleased he was with the Satanist. He just had no energy to create new metal music. He did that side project me and that man which from what I heard of it was ok but hardly amazing, did you hear that. not even sure of genre but it's not metal. By the time the current one was done alot of acdc was listened to which had an influence on the album. Metal hammer review as I remember was a good one but they said recommended if you like acdc. Obviously not you or no bast beats liked it and a fair few othera. I guess it was a change from there normal sound. Apparently theyve got loads of ideas for new album. I guess your hoping they will go back to there roots or hoping less acdc will be listened too 

He went and played country, which was fun for a little while because it was something different (I hope he pursues more stuff in that direction, as he seemed to have a talent for it).  I guess the expectation to release new music is part of the curse of success - most people would have had the luxury to just stop composing until inspiration arose.

On 4/13/2020 at 9:35 AM, Eternal_ said:

For me, it was Opeth and Katatonia, for instance. I!ve been their huge fan till Opeth went into the kinda heavier Art/Prog. Rock and Katatonia started to put much sugar into their cup of coffees. 

Great shout. Which was the opeth album which made you go you can not be serious. ?you used to be good. Nothings is happening of note on this album? obviously I don't get there music as loads of people think there great and play to packed venues but alot of fans  must be thinking what the fuck is this.is this the same band who did those amazing metal music for loads of album's  with one of my favourite metal growling singers. I think that's right term ?. I've tried a few times to listen to the prog music or whatever it's called  and don't get it. Also what era was your favourite for them. Mine was first few album's with that progressive death metal counter point music (my term and probably not correct ?)

On 4/12/2020 at 10:28 AM, noblastbeats said:

I could see Dave doing a guest solo like he did for Body Count. It would be awesome if they got him on board as producer for any new album!

I reckon if Lars and James apologised to Dave mustaine maybe he could help out one way or other in future. Times heals many wounds or whatever that wisdom was. Also making more use of Kirk hammet for next album surely must happen as last album was almost James and Lars solo project from what I read in press which is a shame as he's helped pen some great tunes. Am I way off on bigging up Kirk.?

9 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Great shout. Which was the opeth album which made you go you can not be serious. ?you used to be good. Nothings is happening of note on this album? obviously I don't get there music as loads of people think there great and play to packed venues but alot of fans  must be thinking what the fuck is this.is this the same band who did those amazing metal music for loads of album's  with one of my favourite metal growling singers. I think that's right term ?. I've tried a few times to listen to the prog music or whatever it's called  and don't get it. Also what era was your favourite for them. Mine was first few album's with that progressive death metal counter point music (my term and probably not correct ?)

My favorite album is Morningrise. It was deeply interesting and atmospheric, so much i can!t explain. I lthink imy favorite era is really starting at this one and, it ends when they released the first prog rock album... with the self laughing cover art... how it was called? Ehm... I don!t know now, i was so disapointed that i never heard it twice, lol :D