Best metal gigs live filmed

blaaacdoommmmfan

Assuming there is not already a thread for this I was interested in what are people's favourite recorded filmed live metal shows? I can't go to so many gigs even before Corona due to family commitments but am interested what others like. I really like immortal live at wacken 2007 such energy and show manship, obituary live at bloodstock 2016 just a very good show all round everything very sharp.  

On 3/25/2020 at 6:45 PM, audiophile said:

Hands down "Live After Death". Excellent audio and the camera work was great. Back in the day, Stryper's "Live in Japan" was really well shot.

Great thanks audio phile will check those out. I can only guess that bands don't really release many live filmed recordings these days? Has it ever been much of a thing? There are a few recently released ones of note prob amon amarth is best of the newer lived filmed gigs but was quite expensive new. 

On 3/25/2020 at 6:45 PM, audiophile said:

Hands down "Live After Death". Excellent audio and the camera work was great. Back in the day, Stryper's "Live in Japan" was really well shot.

Live after death. What a recording of maiden live. Really gets alot of the energy of it all with great camera work and sound quality is really good like you said. Dodgy clothes though ? mind you other bands no doubt wore worse in the 80s probably another thread for that? i take it most fans count Dickinson as the maiden frontman. 

There must be a few other classic live filmed concerts anyone? priest and Sabbath likely and Metallica definitely but anymore apart from big 4 live ??☠️

• 8 months later...

Amon amarths latest live DVD/blu ray looks epically brilliant.cant remember name. Therethe gate way band that got me back into metal after a few years without metal but obviously even though I don't listen to them as much these days theyve still got a great back catalogue of songs,  

Screenshot_20201202-203134.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2021 at 8:07 AM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Yowie looks good. I used to listen to alot of sepultura. Will check it out. What your best era for sepultura. The early thrash years, the roots groove metal era or the Derrick green stuff. 

Definitely the Max era for me, but Roots being the album of that era I've least enjoyed. I've only liked the last 2 albums since Derrick Green joined. In saying that, there's a few albums I haven't listened to since he joined so I might like a few more. 

12 hours ago, Yowie said:

Definitely the Max era for me, but Roots being the album of that era I've least enjoyed. I've only liked the last 2 albums since Derrick Green joined. In saying that, there's a few albums I haven't listened to since he joined so I might like a few more. 

Yeah roots is not my favourite either. They have more of groove metal thing going on which didn't like so much. Still roots is a song I very much like. The album's before are better for me, guess I prefer the Thrashier music of albums schizophrenia, beaneath the ...., And arise,  still like chaos ad but not quite as much chaos ad, it  was my first proper metal album so I still value it for that. Haven't listened to much of Derrick green era. Sounds like you gave  sepultura a go for most of there albums which is great. More than me and loads of others. ? I've listened to some stuff from green era and it was good, not max good but still .

which is your favourite album of theres and why

Did you ever see them live. 

On 1/14/2021 at 6:55 AM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Yeah roots is not my favourite either. They have more of groove metal thing going on which didn't like so much. Still roots is a song I very much like. The album's before are better for me, guess I prefer the Thrashier music of albums schizophrenia, beaneath the ...., And arise,  still like chaos ad but not quite as much chaos ad, it  was my first proper metal album so I still value it for that. Haven't listened to much of Derrick green era. Sounds like you gave  sepultura a go for most of there albums which is great. More than me and loads of others. ? I've listened to some stuff from green era and it was good, not max good but still .

which is your favourite album of theres and why

Did you ever see them live. 

Nah, never got to see them live. I got to see Soulfly in 1999 and that was very cool. 

Arise is definitely my favourite Sepultura album. It was the first thing I'd heard of them. Before I heard it I was into stuff about as heavy as Metallica and Slayer and Arise just blew me away. It took it a step further and I loved it. It just sparked something in me. I still love that album to this day. 

On 1/18/2021 at 6:09 AM, Yowie said:

Nah, never got to see them live. I got to see Soulfly in 1999 and that was very cool. 

Arise is definitely my favourite Sepultura album. It was the first thing I'd heard of them. Before I heard it I was into stuff about as heavy as Metallica and Slayer and Arise just blew me away. It took it a step further and I loved it. It just sparked something in me. I still love that album to this day. 

True mettalica followed by sepultura is a mind blower. First time I heard sepultura. It was Territory. I thought it was a monster singing.ha ha. I was truly shocked but was a big fan soon enough

Would you see sepultura if they played at city near you. For ages I was like no way. I'm coming round to the idea and only taken me 20 odd years ? although seeing soulfly is  cool, is max better live or on cd. 

arise is pretty cool album. For a while when I listened to them most days after work arise felt like there most complete and mature album. Sort of like a peak. Obviously the catchy riffs helped. I'm pretty sure macabre eternal has done a very good review on this album on this forum too. It's there somewhere. Worth a read if you find it. 

On 1/18/2021 at 1:09 AM, Yowie said:

Arise is fantastic, my favorite from Sepultura and one of my two favorite thrash albums overall. 

4 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

True mettalica followed by sepultura is a mind blower. First time I heard sepultura. It was Territory. I thought it was a monster singing.ha ha. I was truly shocked but was a big fan soon enough

Would you see sepultura if they played at city near you. For ages I was like no way. I'm coming round to the idea and only taken me 20 odd years ? although seeing soulfly is  cool, is max better live or on cd. 

arise is pretty cool album. For a while when I listened to them most days after work arise felt like there most complete and mature album. Sort of like a peak. Obviously the catchy riffs helped. I'm pretty sure macabre eternal has done a very good review on this album on this forum too. It's there somewhere. Worth a read if you find it. 

I would definitely go see Sepultura if they came to a city near me. We don't get many big bands come to or near where I live, especially big metal bands. I usually have to travel about 1,400 kilometers to see big metal bands that I like. 

Max was great live back then. It was 20 years ago. I think his voice has changed a bit since. He doesn't go as low as he used to.  

On 1/20/2021 at 4:40 AM, Yowie said:

I would definitely go see Sepultura if they came to a city near me. We don't get many big bands come to or near where I live, especially big metal bands. I usually have to travel about 1,400 kilometers to see big metal bands that I like. 

Max was great live back then. It was 20 years ago. I think his voice has changed a bit since. He doesn't go as low as he used to.  

Good to hear from you yowie. That makes you most determined metal fan I know. I see most of my gigs in London.  Very easy 60 mins commute in to most north London gigs. Which part of world are you from is it Australia?

Also interesting point re Max voice. You'd think you'd go lower as you get older but maybe his lungs have lost some of there power after all the use he's given them. 2nd hand Smoke from performing gigs won't help his lungs much either 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2021 at 8:15 PM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Good to hear from you yowie. That makes you most determined metal fan I know. I see most of my gigs in London.  Very easy 60 mins commute in to most north London gigs. Which part of world are you from is it Australia?

Also interesting point re Max voice. You'd think you'd go lower as you get older but maybe his lungs have lost some of there power after all the use he's given them. 2nd hand Smoke from performing gigs won't help his lungs much either 

Yep, I live in Australia. In north Queensland.

On 04/02/2021 at 6:26 AM, Yowie said:

Yep, I live in Australia. In north Queensland.

Cool. Will see rest of sepultura live video you posted. It's really good but got bit distracted with life and lack of free time. I've been watching children of bodum live as after Kerry king was singing Alex laiho praises thought I would check it out. What an amazing player live and so quick.  Keyboardist is great too. So sad he died at 41. Whilst I'm not biggest fan of there sound I can really appreciate the skill and like the music enough to keep watching. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've definitely enjoyed listening to this one a bit. Such a good recording imo. For me band sounds so tight which is impressive considering that there a veteran band and some veteran bands just can't play live as well as they used to. ?? Also includes unexpected bit when Trevor  chuggs a pint. Obviously a thirsty man. ?