How's Corona virus affecting the world of metalheads

blaaacdoommmmfan

Every food worker in every food handling business in every country in the world has a story about something they did which makes the place they worked look bad. It doesn't mean they all happened, in most cases they just make the story teller look like a fucking idiot for wanting to admit they did something so stupid and pointless.

What makes you assume non-metal cruisers are worse than metal cruises? These 'metal' cruises are organised by the same companies. The boats are all owned by a few large corporations. The staff are all staffed from a huge pool of workers world wide. The only difference between a metal cruise and a normal cruise is the music played to the guests. And the stinky, unwashed, half drunk, annoying guests are all they same whether they wear a black t-shirt and vest or a party dress.

3 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

The only difference between a metal cruise and a normal cruise is the music played to the guests.

This is the exact difference why I assume that it's better than a mundane cruise. Being able to see big name bands live would be worth the ticket price alone.

I mean, I probably won't go. It's just a nice fantasy for me to have at this point because I don't really do much of anything and it would be an event that I could maybe make some memories of, since I don't do much of that either. IDK, it's just something that I'd consider doing after seeing some of the previous lineups.

But if you're going to believe some comedian about how bad things are on a non-metal cruise, then you have to believe it's the same petri dish of bugs and germs whether the music is metal or country. You can't even rely on different countries being better or worse for the bugs. The last cruise I went on was a short one around Oz and there was hundreds of overseas travellers aboard that flew to Oz just for the trip. 70,000 Tons, MegaCruise, KISSCruise, they are all the same, travellers and staff from all around the world, from all walks of life, the petri dish doesn't change because the music is better. However that's hardly any different to flying, so it's not the reason I wouldn't go on a cruise again.

However that's hardly any different to flying, so it's not the reason I wouldn't go on a cruise again.

I mean, I'm actually more worried about the Petri dish of recirculated air in a flight than I am worried about it on the sea, because it seems like it would be easier to get fresh air on the sea than on a flight. I'm well aware that it would not change based on the style of music, that's just crazy talk but I was thinking about the fact that I spent 8 hours handling money today and how that is probably sufficient risk of catching a bug & it made me rethink my unwillingness to ever go on a cruise, at least using the Petri dish as an excuse.

In reality I just don't do much of anything. I don't go out very often unless it's to go to work. I don't go to bars, I don't go to concerts anymore, I just don't get out that often. I have to go to my sister's wedding in December and I am not terribly stoked on that whole thing either.

If you want fresh air (in your room) on a cruise you have to be somewhat rich, cruising isn't cheap to begin with but the room with the balconies are the expensive ones. No balcony and you get to stare through a window at wonderful things like the life boats while sucking conditioned air. Worldwide there will be a bit of a shake up of these systems post covid because of the way air is recycled but I can't see them getting rid of such rooms, they are too easy to fill.

I'd feel safer on a cruise ship than a plane simply because there is so many options not to be in a closed room of recycled air. Even in shitty weather there is areas that would be considered outside but still undercover. The shitty time comes when they start tying down all the outdoor furniture because then you know you're in for bad weather and you have little choice but to stay inside somewhere.

The last cruise I went on was for 8 days, we got a balcony, king sized bed, sitting room, and shower/bath, the room was about 208sq feet they claimed. We got all we could eat breakfast and lunch at the main eateries, dinner every night at one of the 3 star restaurants, and two dinners at one of the 5 star restaurants included. We also had $50 coffee (from the coffee shops not the eateries) vouchers and $200 wine vouchers which I cashed in for coffee. On top of all that we didn't have to lift a finger for anything, if we wanted meals brought to us, even a jug of water, we just rang our staff member and he brought whatever we wanted to us any time of the day. We got that for less than $1800 (for my wife and I), there was a time in Australia where we couldn't fly from one side of the country to the other for that price. So it's relatively good value for what it is and I'd much prefer that to flying, but I'd still rather drive myself to places and get off the beaten track, as opposed to the weather beaten ocean.

I have memories of rooms on the Megacruise going for $7K at the pointy end on the deck below the bands, down to about $2.5K for the rooms where swinging a cat isn't possible, at least not possible without it bouncing off the walls. Not sure what was included in all the packages that the cruise company Megadeth paid to organise things had, but from memory I don't think it was much. So no matter how you look at it cost is a big issue of any cruise but put bands on the ship and it's easy to see why many will think it's not value for money.

It was also some what ironic that on the MegaCruise after all his hype about it MegaDave couldn't make it due to his treatments so he sent MegaDaughter in his place and left Jnr to cover the band stuff.

Well if that's the case, I could see myself enjoying a cruise far more than a flight. It's not that I'm afraid of flying, it's just that I flew in business class once and now cannot go back to coach, so it's very expensive for me to fly anywhere so I just drive to wherever I have to go (When I was still allowed to leave the state, prior to being on probation).

The problem is, I don't like driving either because of the other people on the road who can't be bothered to do it safely. I do not speed, I do not change lanes a lot and I absolutely do not fuck around with my phone when I drive because I had a friend who died in a pretty horrid car accident in Long Island and now I am paranoid af about being on the road (especially at night or Christ forbid, in the snow and ice which is going to become a regular part of my life in another year or so when we move back to upstate NY).

But I could see myself going on the 70000 tons of metal cruise and probably having a good time if the food is actually good, despite the fact that I do not drink. I would likely book a double for myself instead of sharing a room with another person, because I doubt that I'd have anyone to go on the cruise with as the only person who would be interested in going has a wife and kids that probably wouldn't let him do something like that.

When they start it up again, I'm going to get a passport (If I am allowed to, as I am a felon) and see if I can actually go on the cruise. It would at the very least be a chance to see a bunch of bands that I'd never get to see otherwise and hopefully eat some good food. It's not that much per person, so I could probably afford it if I was allowed to go but it won't be for another year until I get off of probation.

I love planes, my dad worked on them for years and I've always had an interest in them, but I've never liked commercial travel. Even before covid I also hated the idea of being cramped in a tin can like sardines. Being tall doesn't help, but just being that close to people has never thrilled me.

The 'other people' excuse on  the road seems to be a universal problem. In this country there is forums dedicated to people bitching about how other people drive, what they never bitch about is their own driving habits. Internet drivers are always perfect, never break any rules, in fact they go beyond every road rule, except the ones they deem stupid like speed limits that were obviously created by some idiot in a suit sitting in an office with no windows.

I'm a driver, I have been for years, and always will be. I watch other road users for mistakes just like I watch myself, but I don't focus on them, I also don't drive around thinking everyone else is out to get me. If I was to hit the road for another holiday, it wouldn't be to crowded areas anyway, it would be out in the country where I can count the traffic I see every hour in single digits.

One of the things that's really suffered here because of state wide covid lockdowns is regional businesses who despite not even seeing cases of covid were forced to close the doors and not make money. I'd much rather spend the money of flights or cruises on motels, food and fuels in small towns to help them recover from the last 2 years. I'll probably have to go over to Western Australia one day soon to visit the in-laws, 5 hours in the air versus 5 days on the road for me is a no brainer. Firstly and foremost, if I drive I get to spend less time with the family!

I don't know if I'll ever get on another cruise, I might, but it's not the thought of covid that will keep me away, it's seeking something else. My guess is that cruise prices will increase if the industry has to to do too much to be 'covid safe', we're already seeing this happen in Australia with flights. They dropped the price initially, but as bookings increase into the future the prices are also increasing to make up for lost money.

As for going on something like 70,000 tons, for me that's a long haul flight in a sardine can only to spend a week in a smaller sardine can, before getting back on the aerial sardine can all while having the pleasure of knowing I paid an absolutely shit load for the privileged.

4 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

As for going on something like 70,000 tons, for me that's a long haul flight in a sardine can only to spend a week in a smaller sardine can, before getting back on the aerial sardine can all while having the pleasure of knowing I paid an absolutely shit load for the privileged.

See I live in Florida so it's like a three hour drive for me to get to the port to get on the 70,000 tons. If it was when I was living in New York, I wouldn't do it because it would involve me having to fly down to Florida to do it and that's like another $400 probably, so I'd be out like a grand for the whole experience.

4 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

The 'other people' excuse on  the road seems to be a universal problem.

It's legit in my case. I'm paranoid about being out on the road because I'm always seeing car accidents from people that were screwing around with their phones, probably while speeding and I don't have great insurance anyway so I limit the places I go a lot because down here especially, we have a lot of elderly people who are on different drugs and probably should not be behind the wheel (since they have a tendency to crash into the fronts of stores and houses). We also have a lot of people who get fucked up on drugs and get behind the wheel of a car or truck. One of these people blacked out while driving one night a few years ago and crashed through the front of my buddy's grandmother's house. That was a horrible incident because the area where the person hit was the room that he used to stay in when he would go there to stay over. He chose to stay at his mom's that night and was shook by the fact that they crashed into the room he usually slept in over there. I've been in a car that was rear ended by a box truck when I was going out collecting scrap metal one night-- driver ended up suing the company that owned and operated the box truck and made a nice little chunk of change for himself.

How long is a $400 flight? The last time I priced a trip west to see family it was $650 cattle class and more than double that for business. It's a 5-6 hour flight depending on weather. I can't get a price on that now because of border restrictions but a flight from Melb to Brisbane, about 2 hours, is $250 for cattle class and $1200 for business. For me it also means a 3 hour drive to the airport. Bus and train is an option but because of times I'd have to leave about 8 hours before the flight to make it. Otherwise I'd be paying for car parking which ranges from about $50 a day in parking garages, to about $370 per day at the actual airport. Flying in this country has never been that cheap, it's nearly always been cheaper to fly it Bali than it has to fly interstate.

How long is a $400 flight?

My guess is that it would be Rochester, NY to Tampa, FL but if I was going on the 70,000 tons cruise, I'd just fly into Ft. Lauderdale if it was possible, since that's where the cruise departs from. So it would be about two or three hours if you flew nonstop, but I'd probably pick one with layovers if I was actually booking the flight because it would likely be cheaper that way. It would also probably be cattle class, because there's just no way I can afford business class unless I upgrade at the gate before the flight for $50-75 because they have an unsold seat or someone didn't show up for the flight. I've never flown first class and probably never will, because that's like thousands and I don't have that kind of money to drop.

Bus and train is an option but because of times I'd have to leave about 8 hours before the flight to make it.

Bus is always an option for me because I don't have a lot of money, but even Greyhound tickets are expensive now and with all the stops you have to make, it ends up taking much longer than it would if you were driving in your private vehicle. Like a Greyhound ticket from Florida to Colorado ended up taking me like four days and that's a hell of a long time to not be able to get any quality sleep or a shower without the help of powerful stimulant drugs.

Train is sadly, never really an option because America is a foolish country and doesn't have a lot of opportunity for railroad travel anymore unless you live in the Boswash megalopolis. In my life I've been on a train exactly twice: once from Florida to New York on the autotrain when I was a kid and once from Newark, NJ into Manhattan when I was going on an Advent retreat with the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal back in 2014 when I had this period where I thought I was going to take vows into a religious order (that didn't end up happening because I'm too materialistic and simply do not have that kind of love in my heart for mankind).

Flying in this country has never been that cheap, it's nearly always been cheaper to fly it Bali than it has to fly interstate.

I haven't done a lot of flying in my life. I mean, I've done enough to know how to fly efficiently but air fares are still pretty expensive for someone in my economic bracket. Like I doubt that I'd ever be able to fly to Europe or anywhere other than Canada because I can't see myself being able to be on a plane for more than 6 to 8 hours at a time (so Japan and Australia are right out because those are like 17-22 hour flights and I feel like I'd go batshit being on a jet, stuck in a cramped seat next to other people for 17-22 hours).

When I've driven across the country here it's cost me about the same in nightly accommodation and fuel as it would if I flew. The added bonus of driving is that I get to see the country side. Admittedly I've seen it all a hundred times and when you get to the outback and all there is is dirt, shrubs, dirt, more dirt, dead animals, more dirt and more dirt, it does sound boring but somehow every time I've done it both in the truck, hauling three trailers or in the ute it's been different. The plane always seems the same, cramped, boring and I have to share with others.

I put the car on the train once to cross East to West and it was a good experience but like cruising it's over priced and something I've experienced and don't really have much desire to do again. Busses are something I'd never consider, even for short trips. If I'm going via road I'm the steering wheel attendant because I have control issues!!

That's the thing I like about driving in a personal car: I can stop in different places and see different things on my way to my destination. I took a road trip to Tennessee back in 2016 and I had a pretty good time stopping to see all of the different little goofy roadside attractions on the way up there. I got to Chattanooga in about a day's time and was able to then drive around Tennessee and see the historic sites. I went to Knoxville and Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, and then drove through the Smoky mountains into North Carolina and saw this hipster city called Asheville (which did not impress me all that much because that type of thing isn't my scene).

I went because I was originally thinking about moving up there and just living in this girl's trailer but when I got there and stayed at her place for the night, it was a lot more rough than I thought it would be, with rats and stuff. I had not seen that kind of poverty in the US before. Especially not in Florida. This wasn't even a girl that I was interested in dating, she was someone who I had talked to online through a coworker and through our online conversations, she basically invited me to come up and live at her place... but like I said, it was brutal with rats and holes in the trailer and stuff. Yard full of junk, very much like something out of Gummo. The other thing was that she was very weird... I think she may have been some sort of weird Christian/White nationalist because she really wanted me to go to her church & she was constantly talking about people she wanted me to meet and framing it with stuff like "Our race, our people" and she wanted me to rush out and buy a gun right away. Keep in mind, this girl did not know me from Peter, so it was pretty weird that she wanted a stranger to come move into her trailer (with her kids) and go out and buy a gun right away. By the second day, my alarm bells were going off and red flags were popping up so I got the hell out of there and went to Knoxville and stayed there in a Super 8 for a few days & got pretty drunk on cider the second day I was there to try and erase the memory of the creepy shit that had just happened to me in Crossville with the girl.

Although it wasn't as bizarre as when my buddy and I went to Colorado to stay with his sister-in-law and the very first night we were there, they had pounds of weed out on the table that they were packaging up to sell. Oh and guns, lots of them. We stayed there for a week and mostly looked for jobs and then got drunk at night and listened to black metal. I remember that was the place that I saw Harold & Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay and the phrase "cockmeat sandwich" entered my lexicon (and was the funniest thing in the world because I was very drunk). Eventually when we realized that these people were effectively running a serious business drug enterprise, we got the hell out and flew back to Florida & realized that it was a very bizarre adventure indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

I've considered getting the booster. It's currently available in my area but they aren't administering it yet as they're still trying to get the remaining eligible populace to get their fist and second doses. Which is a massive waste of time. The only people who haven't been vaxxed yet are naturopath hippies and the Qanon loonies who will never get it.

I booked my 3rd booster shot in for 1 December.  Official estimates show once Tasmania opens up on 15 December 2021, we are going from average of 0 COVID cases since pandemic started to potentially up to 81,000 cases by July (and that assumes 90% vaccination rate for over 16 year olds).

Australia fully opens up 1 December and they're looking at overloading immigration to make up for no immigration in 2020 and limited in 2021.  

Modeling Report (coronavirus.tas.gov.au)

Interesting the death rate seems to be deliberately understated.  Even best scenarios indicate ICU usage of 56 beds daily and 186 at worst (not including people with other conditions).  Max cumulative deaths in that same period is 236.  Yet total number of ICU beds is around 40.   

So without sufficient beds, the death rate will probably be much higher,

Also it's stupid we are opening up and will then will probably have restrictions given we have had no COVID and very few restrictions.

The joys of neoliberalism and consumerism.

I'm not getting the booster. I feel like I got away relatively lucky with the initial doses because I don't appear to have had any adverse events, but I don't really want to be jamming mRNA chemical concoctions into my arm every six months for the rest of my life and running the risk of myocarditis or damaging my immune system. I did enough damage to my heart and my body from recreational drugs. Gambling on a vaccine every six months isn't something I'm willing to do. I got the initial vaccine, and Pfizer made their money, but that's going to be it for me & vaccines from here on out.

Besides, everyone is eventually going to get COVID19. It's going to become endemic. Hell, I could have already had it and just been an asymptomatic carrier for all I know. The fact that people like Stephen Colbert and the rest of the mainstream media are pushing the vaccine so hard naturally causes me to be skeptical of it, but I played along and got the first two doses because I was willing to give it a shot (no pun intended).

Also, my governor shot down mandates in the state of Florida.

1 hour ago, NokturnalBoredom said:

I'm not getting the booster. I feel like I got away relatively lucky with the initial doses because I don't appear to have had any adverse events, but I don't really want to be jamming mRNA chemical concoctions into my arm every six months for the rest of my life and running the risk of myocarditis or damaging my immune system. 

Besides, everyone is eventually going to get COVID19. It's going to become endemic. 

I actually don't care much about living much beyond 50 (when my daughter turns 18) so if mRNA gets me it's free to do so after 2030.   

I've only getting the booster so I'm less likely to get it and spread it to my unvaccinated kid or my inlaws who have a variety of illnesses and unlike me want to live.

9 hours ago, NokturnalBoredom said:

I'm not getting the booster. I feel like I got away relatively lucky with the initial doses because I don't appear to have had any adverse events, but I don't really want to be jamming mRNA chemical concoctions into my arm every six months for the rest of my life and running the risk of myocarditis or damaging my immune system. I did enough damage to my heart and my body from recreational drugs. Gambling on a vaccine every six months isn't something I'm willing to do. I got the initial vaccine, and Pfizer made their money, but that's going to be it for me & vaccines from here on out.

Besides, everyone is eventually going to get COVID19. It's going to become endemic. Hell, I could have already had it and just been an asymptomatic carrier for all I know.

That's not how it works. You can by all accounts get C19 multiple times, just with longer intervals as your immune system tries to adapt. And the more people get it and spread it, the high risk that it will mutate and then your vaccination isn't really protecting you anymore. You seem hellbent on making up your own narrative on this with no regard to what science and professionals are actually saying. You know what would really damage your immune system? Covid and death. The fact that you have damaged your heart and body previously is a really good reason for trying to avoid getting covid (i.e. getting vaccinated) since Covid can be a real motherfucker to those with already compromised health. No matter how bad you imagine the side effects of the vaccine is I can guarantee you that the actual virus can be worse. BUT being vaccinated means that there's much lower risk of you becoming critically ill when/if you get Covid, if it's gonna be endemic like you say.

And as along as people refuse to get the vaccine or keep behaving like the pandemic is over and socialize, the longer this fuckin virus will stick around, mutate and be a nuisance to everyone, vaccinated or not.

4 hours ago, Sheol said:

You seem hellbent on making up your own narrative on this with no regard to what science and professionals are actually saying

"Science" and professionals are the ones saying that it's going to become endemic and eventually everyone is going to get it, and it's just going to have to be something that we learn to live with. The guy who invented the mRNA vaccine already said that "we cannot vaccinate our way out of a pandemic" and the narrative that is being pushed regarding the vaccine by scrotes like Stephen Colbert and Anderson Cooper is a narrative that is being pushed on behalf of the giant pharmaceutical corporations that have $$$$ to gain by forcing everyone to take vaccines every six months for perpetuity. I'm not telling people not to get the vaccine, if you want to get it then get it, I already got two doses of it.  That's enough. I'm not going to be getting a covid19 vaccine every six months for the rest of my life, that's where I draw the line. I already have to take medication every day for the rest of my life & I don't like that fact.

That's the reason why I'm not getting the booster. Because I actually know what's going on: I follow real journalism about the subject, because I don't believe a blessed thing that mainstream media says since they got everything else wrong for the past 4 years. CNN, MSNBC, Fox News and the others don't have the best interests of normal people in mind-- they are all sponsored by Pfizer and that's why they are pushing the vaccine so hard: because with the vaccine, Pfizer and others have realized that they can get vast amounts of tax dollars out of the system by lobbying the government to mandate vaccines and provide them at "no cost" to the public. The entire thing is a great big scam and they're going to have people taking covid19 boosters for the rest of their lives, and I'm not going to be doing that.

My understanding of the mRna vaccines is that they do what other vaccines do - teach your immune system how to recognize part of the virus. Unfortunately, between naturally waning immunity and viral mutations, the protection that all of the vaccines offer seems to diminish over time, which is why boosters are a good thing, especially for vulnerable people - the elderly and immunocompromised. There's a significant amount of data on the risk increase with age. And there are enough unvaccinated populations of people (and animals) around the world that we're pretty much guaranteed to have more sources for new infections for the foreseeable future, so we are going to have to learn to live with it. Vaccines are part of how we live with it. They can't make Covid go away but they can make it a lot less risky.

There's still a lot of uncertainty. I suppose one of the draws of the conspiracy-minded stuff is that it offers a feeling of certainty, or at least a feeling of access to special information, so it winds up creeping in wherever uncertainty exists - part of the predictable backlash that goes along with situations like this. And you know, corporate news media aren't the greatest, and big pharma does suck. But that's all chaff that has nothing to do with how the virus works, or how vaccines work, or keeping people safe. 

I don't really like posting about this stuff because I'm not an expert, but obviously that's not stopping everyone else. If your sources are leading you to think that the vaccines are ineffective, or that they're only a cash grab, or that they're some kind of ticking time bomb with risks outweighing the risk of actually getting a bad case of Covid, then they're not experts either. The cost/payment/patent rights discussion is one I have some time for, as relates to areas around the globe that are poor or hard to reach. But living in a place that offers free vaccine access on demand makes it pretty hard for us to complain.

In any case we're tired of doing housekeeping on this thread. We've already had to shitcan one previous member who couldn't stop themselves from posting some absolute garbage a while back. Locked before it heads back down.