blaaacdoommmmfan

How's Corona virus affecting the world of metalheads

In BC Canada, it's wonderful. Instead of practicing 'metal stuff' with other musicians, it's the perfect opportuinity to finally record death metal music. I haven't found anyone in town anyways who wants to play 666% hard. 

On 3/25/2020 at 1:45 AM, ChainsawAkimbo said:

One of my only irl friends and his wife are both in risk group too.. but propably visiting them tomorrow anyway, it´s up to them to decide.. we have stuff we need to get done anyway and thankfully no illness of anykind in my family.. but it´s the ones without symptomst that spread it so not that simple.

Everything you say in this sentence says "don't go to see your friends".  Sorry but it is just as much your call as it is theirs.

The Countess, the blonde vampiria and I are in the Castle, keeping the drawbridge up and the moat filled with crocodiles. 

I've actually learned the vampire children's names, and tomorrow I'm hoping to tell them apart. This virus is bringing us closer...

I called the local council today to come quickly as there was a wolf on the property, only to find out it was the family dog which we've had for ten years.... So I'm learning lots of new things. 

We broke the 1,000 deaths barrier today here and the media went into a frenzy announcing the figure like it was a national count we all had to hear about.  Approx 6% of the number of known infections make up the number of dead currently.  We’re planning for at lest 20,000 deaths in the UK meaning based on current ratio we are looking at over 300,000 people with a positive test result for COVID19.

More time? More stress?

Both for me, personally. I've gotten used to having a pretty busy schedule, so not having something to do for most of the day has had an unexpected anxiety effect on me, lol(I own and work in a modest family bakery, and my buyers haven't been able to sell my product very much given the current circumstances)....At the very least though I have time to work on my musical projects, which is great because I have like a million of them. Most recently I've been working on several tracks with a Worlds Beyond The Veil kind of feel, and it's looking like it might be my debut EP. idk yet though.

In a more general , non-metal aspect, I have been able to catch up on some tv shows. Season 5 of BCS has been pretty eh~, which I think might be due to the writers realizing they need to close out the prequel at some point soon and thus rushing to get the story to an appropriate ending. Looking at how that kind of thing led to random contrivance in El Camino, I am a bit concerned about how the rest of this will play out =(

how about you guys? hows quarantine? anyone going insane yet, hopefully not

31 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

***Topic merged after @Medley started duplicate in different thread.***

oh...i thought this thread was strictly relating to the effects on the music world. my b

Further news: Im in mexico, and the headlines here havent been great....there are multiple articles (in spanish) about how this country isnt respecting the self-quarantine rule at all. though to be fair to them, AMLO is a ducking idiot and they cannot be reasonably expected to entrust their government with their financial needs. our head of state was showing off his amulets for warding off the virus not too long ago, looks like they've not been effective. how the heck did this guy get into office. this whole country is going to get the virus at this rate. im gonna be out of business for months, FML lol

15 minutes ago, Medley said:

oh...i thought this thread was strictly relating to the effects on the music world. my b

Further news: Im in mexico, and the headlines here havent been great....there are multiple articles (in spanish) about how this country isnt respecting the self-quarantine rule at all. though to be fair to them, AMLO is a ducking idiot and they cannot be reasonably expected to entrust their government with their financial needs. our head of state was showing off his amulets for warding off the virus not too long ago, looks like they've not been effective. how the heck did this guy get into office. this whole country is going to get the virus at this rate. im gonna be out of business for months, FML lol

What metal bands are you into? 

I haven't seen @True Belief in weeks, which is very traumatic considering I'm camped out the front of his mansion every day, waving a flag. 

What an amazing time to be quarantined, in 2020. More technology than ever before, more supermarkets, more online schooling, bigger houses. It's just so strange. Yet also so strangely normal.  

Shit got real in the UK when Boris got admitted to hospital. I'm no fan of his policies or his action over COVID-19 but I don't wish the guy ill and hope he makes a full recovery. Perhaps in retrospect he might feel shaking hands with people who were COVID-19 positive wasn't the smartest thing he ever did.

Here in Oxfordshire most people are respecting the 2 meter rule and not going out unless absolutely necessary. Had a game of Trivial Pursuit with the ex and the kids yesterday in the House Party app. People are adapting pretty well generally.

8 hours ago, Requiem said:

What metal bands are you into? 

I haven't seen @True Belief in weeks, which is very traumatic considering I'm camped out the front of his mansion every day, waving a flag. 

What an amazing time to be quarantined, in 2020. More technology than ever before, more supermarkets, more online schooling, bigger houses. It's just so strange. Yet also so strangely normal. 

I've really been getting into Deathspell Omega lately. Their experimentation has been pretty wild so far, which is great because it means I still have something to listen to after Alexander Scriabin effectively ruined like 90% of my entire music library for me lol. Mithras has been pretty great as well, Worlds Beyond The Veil has become one of my fav albums of all time and has inspired one of my own projects that I hope can pay a worthy tribute to how stellar that thing was. Meshuggah has been pretty cool as well, though they are pretty inconsistent and hit-or-miss with individual tracks, moreso than the average band imo. I'd heard that Fredrik Thordendal supposedly had another project in the works, but that was a few years ago. Hopefully he's still working on it, I really enjoyed the feel of Sol Niger Within.

Those are my top 3 atm (technically 4, since Fredrik has done his own thing). I've also listened to a bit of Nile, Means End, Animals As Leaders, Epica, ALOT of Dream Theater, some Necrophagist, idk if Car Bomb counts as metal, and I've stuck with Megadeth and Opeth for like 7~ years now because those guys are almost always fun. so uh, yea.....if you got any weird stuff, def recommend it because i love that kind of thing lol

On 4/8/2020 at 7:10 PM, Medley said:

I've really been getting into Deathspell Omega lately. Their experimentation has been pretty wild so far, which is great because it means I still have something to listen to after Alexander Scriabin effectively ruined like 90% of my entire music library for me lol. Mithras has been pretty great as well, Worlds Beyond The Veil has become one of my fav albums of all time and has inspired one of my own projects that I hope can pay a worthy tribute to how stellar that thing was. Meshuggah has been pretty cool as well, though they are pretty inconsistent and hit-or-miss with individual tracks, moreso than the average band imo. I'd heard that Fredrik Thordendal supposedly had another project in the works, but that was a few years ago. Hopefully he's still working on it, I really enjoyed the feel of Sol Niger Within.

Those are my top 3 atm (technically 4, since Fredrik has done his own thing). I've also listened to a bit of Nile, Means End, Animals As Leaders, Epica, ALOT of Dream Theater, some Necrophagist, idk if Car Bomb counts as metal, and I've stuck with Megadeth and Opeth for like 7~ years now because those guys are almost always fun. so uh, yea.....if you got any weird stuff, def recommend it because i love that kind of thing lol

Top interesting recommendation in my collection would be by et moriemur with album called  epigrammata. It's a fantastic in the way it mixes Gregorian chanting  with atmospheric doom/death metal.  Not heard it done before as not many could pull it off.  A mixture of clean and not clean singing really set the tone. It's an album about the bands best way of coping with deaths of friends and family  with tracks of grief for the loss, happiness remembering good times spent with them, and hope there in a better place now. 🤯  Plus alot if it is sung in ancient Greek and Latin. no idea what there singing but it really works. An album that has to be heard to understand cause it sounds awful.

6 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Top interesting recommendation in my collection would be by et moriemur with album called  epigrammata. It's a fantastic in the way it mixes Gregorian chanting  with atmospheric doom/death metal.  Not heard it done before as not many could pull it off.  A mixture of clean and not clean singing really set the tone. It's an album about the bands best way of coping with deaths of friends and family  with tracks of grief for the loss, happiness remembering good times spent with them, and hope there in a better place now. 🤯  Plus alot if it is sung in ancient Greek and Latin. no idea what there singing but it really works. An album that has to be heard to understand cause it sounds awful.

oh, i frikkin love chants, lol. I will def be giving them a listen tomorrow, thx man

on topic: man, AMLO is getting slammed left and right rn. My state recently declared its emergency, and the use of face masks is now mandatory thank god. Hopefully this will end no later than it has to, hopefully :(

17 hours ago, Medley said:

oh, i frikkin love chants, lol. I will def be giving them a listen tomorrow, thx man

on topic: man, AMLO is getting slammed left and right rn. My state recently declared its emergency, and the use of face masks is now mandatory thank god. Hopefully this will end no later than it has to, hopefully :(

That's great you might like my suggestion it's really good  with all the chanting but then again took me a couple of listens to really get in to it.plus the new age intro and outro to album works so well too even though describing it makes it sound terrible.  It's got a very nice album cover. Not sure what going on but looks cool and classical. Lots of robes 😁. It's my go to pick me up album. Well worth a go. Have you got any eclectic recommend dations. I don't like metal core though or nu metal. 🤬🤣

Re corona. No face masks mandatory yet in uk  but probably need to get some anyway cause there useful sometimes on the bus or train. Very odd though day to day without seeing friends and family though and doing those online, not the same with terrible audio feeedback. Say what 😄I'm hoping it will end soon. Gone on longer than enough. 

If people obey the lockdown the masks are almost irrelevant.  You only need a mask really if you are caring for someone with COVID19.  That having been said, if people continue to flout the lockdown the need for masks increases ***insert image of matches in a row here***

On a personal level I am currently engaged as part of a team running staffing at two of the field hospitals here in the UK which is a relevant and welcome distraction to watching the endless doom and gloom on the news and being able to feel there’s some contribution I can make.

On 4/19/2020 at 7:46 AM, MacabreEternal said:

...being able to feel there’s some contribution I can make.

...and thank you for that contribution. 

One of my close friends is a nurse and aside from being exhausted just now, her personal gripe is seeing non medical staff wearing disposable gloves. Medical staff use them once, discard them, wash their hands and grab another pair. Using the same gloves for every transaction in a shop or to wipe down trolleys is only spreading the virus.

3 hours ago, noblastbeats said:

Medical staff use them once, discard them, wash their hands and grab another pair. Using the same gloves for every transaction in a shop or to wipe down trolleys is only spreading the virus.

Not only that, but when average people use them, it builds up ever more plastic waste!

Also while the situation is bad for the music industry from everyone who works in it I assume.  One silver lining for fans is that a well known Indian heavy metal label is giving free downloads of  loads of there bands on band camp and they've got some really good bands on there books  Course you can pay if you want. So not all bad. 

On 4/26/2020 at 9:32 AM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Also while the situation is bad for the music industry from everyone who works in it I assume.  One silver lining for fans is that a well known Indian heavy metal label is giving free downloads of  loads of there bands on band camp and they've got some really good bands on there books  Course you can pay if you want. So not all bad. 

Which label is it? I’ll have to look further into that.

8 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

8 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

Transcending Obscurity Records - got my copy of Serpent's Curse by Heads for the Dead from there.  Some good bands on there.

That's it. Was not sure if I should say on forum the band . As was unsure if I'd break rules re inappropriate advertising. 

Not biggest label but they've got some great bands on there. I got officium triste Latest. Sounds great if you like paradise lost, my dying bride that sort of the thing.    had some good reviews too. Will check out heads for the dead too. 

*** CINEMATIC SUMMER TOUR 2020 ***

'We must stick apart' is a proverb of Discordianism (a religion I [Ivar] might or might not have just made up) that might fit the situation we are all in now. We are all isolated in various degrees; and we all miss live music. So, we have stuck apart and with our fantastic team of super-people in management, label and booking, plus three of our best friends who happen to be the very creme de la creme of European Festivals; we are now able to present this digital festival-tour. We are already hard at work preparing sets and shows that will make this one for the (e-)books.

We are stoked to announce our upcoming "Cinematic Summer Tour 2020" today! After the great experience of our first streaming event on April 1st from Verftet Online Music Festival, we decided to take it one step further to enlighten our concertless summer with a series of high-end online events - a cinematic tour experience!

For this forward-thinking concept, we are joining forces with three festivals that present one of the three different shows each:
In cooperation with Roadburn Festival, the tour starts July 30th, with the "Chronicles Of The Northbound" show. Fans will be invited by the festival to choose their favourite Enslaved songs to create a career spanning set. The second show will be a "Below The Lights" set on August 20th, presented by Beyond the Gates festival.
We will end our virtual tour at the Summer Breeze open air on September 30th, with "Utgard - The Journey Within“.

Each individual event will be accompanied by different side happenings, on which we will shed more light separately.

All events will be streamed on our YouTube channel!
http://nblast.de/EnslavedYouTube

To give everyone the chance to be part of this, all three shows will be accessible free of charge. There will be a donation option and special merch for the Cinematic Summer Tour.

Thank you for your support, faith in us and patience - to have fans like you is an absolute privilege.
See you in the Ether!
- Enslaved

@FatherAlabaster and others may enjoy this!

1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Thank you for posting! I saw this earlier today and I'm definitely excited about it.

I never really got into their music. but this seems like a great chance!

So, as the restrictions of lockdown here in the UK start to be lifted I found myself reviewing the overall impact of living my near perfect existence for a misanthrope in terms of if I am any different coming out of lockdown than I was going into it.

About halfway into lockdown I all but quit drinking alcohol.  This decision was coupled with the decision I took to return back to a healthier lifestyle that I enjoyed in my younger years some 15 years or so ago of taking regular exercise up to 4 times a week and eating a more balanced diet removing alot of snacks and junk food in the process.  6 weeks into a healthier lifestyle I feel better and genuinely don't miss the booze as much as I thought I would.  I haven't become tee-total and do enjoy an occasional beer (one bottle a week or one glass of spirit a week) if I feel like it or if I feel I need the "treat" for hitting targets or celebration of personal or work related achievement (I am a salesman with targets, so any excuse really).

Our shopping habits have completely changed.  My fiancee is high risk for COVID so going to the supermarket was an immediate no-no.  As a result we plan to continue to do only collections from store of internet orders or deliveries.  I have started to utilise label/band sites directly for merchandise and music a lot more than I did and have made some neat discoveries on sites that I knew little or nothing about but now go back to as a regular shopper.

I have also learned that my day job has the potential to be done with much less travel and time on the road than it did previously.  The move away from face-to-face meetings to video conferencing has changed the way I engage with my customers making them more accessible if anything and so I think my time on the road could be significantly less once the restrictions are released in full (if that happens anytime soon, which I doubt).

All in all lockdown has been a positive experience for me, even affording me opportunity to contribute actively (albeit remotely) to the fight against coronavirus using my healthcare knowledge and experience which was a strange yet massively fulfiling experience for me.  Most of the behaviours I have adopted during the period of staying at home I intend to keep far beyond the end of this pandemic.

On 6/27/2020 at 4:38 PM, MacabreEternal said:

So, as the restrictions of lockdown here in the UK start to be lifted I found myself reviewing the overall impact of living my near perfect existence for a misanthrope in terms of if I am any different coming out of lockdown than I was going into it.

About halfway into lockdown I all but quit drinking alcohol.  This decision was coupled with the decision I took to return back to a healthier lifestyle that I enjoyed in my younger years some 15 years or so ago of taking regular exercise up to 4 times a week and eating a more balanced diet removing alot of snacks and junk food in the process.  6 weeks into a healthier lifestyle I feel better and genuinely don't miss the booze as much as I thought I would.  I haven't become tee-total and do enjoy an occasional beer (one bottle a week or one glass of spirit a week) if I feel like it or if I feel I need the "treat" for hitting targets or celebration of personal or work related achievement (I am a salesman with targets, so any excuse really).

Our shopping habits have completely changed.  My fiancee is high risk for COVID so going to the supermarket was an immediate no-no.  As a result we plan to continue to do only collections from store of internet orders or deliveries.  I have started to utilise label/band sites directly for merchandise and music a lot more than I did and have made some neat discoveries on sites that I knew little or nothing about but now go back to as a regular shopper.

I have also learned that my day job has the potential to be done with much less travel and time on the road than it did previously.  The move away from face-to-face meetings to video conferencing has changed the way I engage with my customers making them more accessible if anything and so I think my time on the road could be significantly less once the restrictions are released in full (if that happens anytime soon, which I doubt).

All in all lockdown has been a positive experience for me, even affording me opportunity to contribute actively (albeit remotely) to the fight against coronavirus using my healthcare knowledge and experience which was a strange yet massively fulfiling experience for me.  Most of the behaviours I have adopted during the period of staying at home I intend to keep far beyond the end of this pandemic.

First off you are right re those masks.They don't stop the spread of virus but they reduce droplet spread. Think that's what you said so good for when you can't avoid close contact with people like on the bus, tube etc. I've got some but not needed to use them yet.

It's great you done so well on lockdown. Less booze is something I've done too mainly for health reasons as I've got a medical condition so once a weeks ok for me. Same applies for processed food. I have very few of them and I don't miss them much and feel better. 

Fantastic too you've managed to support bands direct like you said on there sites and label sites. I bought a bit from bands online direct from them where possible

Your right re working remotely. If you can do this from home just as effectively why not. The commute in and from work costs me alot of time. If I could work from home I would but my job is a maintenance job with a water company so not possible.