Jump to content
blaaacdoommmmfan

How's Corona virus affecting the world of metalheads

Recommended Posts

As lots of things are getting cancelled  because of Corona virus from lots of tours to sports events, including the magnum UK tour which I had tickets for. There not a metal band but there pretty kick ass anyway so was disappointed but can understand why it was cancelled. What affect has the corona virus had on metal people. Is this a really bad chat to have for something where there are no easy solutions 🤔 I'm pretty ignorant on the subject but am interested what metal people have to say.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I'm fucking bummed because I was psyched to go see Cloak again and some local bands in a few weeks but most of the venues here are being forced to close. Even the venue where Cloak is supposed to play which is like an hour from me, it's a 100-capacity bar but they're limiting capacity to 50 people including the staff and bands. How can any band financially justify driving 6 hours to play to a crowd of like, what, 30 people? Tickets are only $10 so I imagine they won't be making any money from this show - more likely they'd be losing money. And worse for them, this would be their second tour canceled in a row (first one was due to Faketushka and their personal squabbles fucking it up for everyone involved).

I mean, I get that they're trying to control the virus, but the American government especially has everyone here thinking they're going to die if they step outside, like it's a fucking global ebola epidemic and thousands of perfectly healthy people are dropping dead left and right in the street every day. To my knowledge, unless you're elderly or have a weak immune system for some other reason, coronavirus is basically like the flu (although I did hear that it can turn into pneumonia very quickly, so I suppose that's a cause for concern). My office is closed until at least the end of the month, so I have no income at the moment.

The governor where I live said today that "no concert is worth the spread of this pandemic". Clearly, this man has never been to a metal show. 😂  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here in the UK we are just about getting ready for lockdown.  I work for a company that supports health care organisations and the lock down is massively overdue.  Although the virus does affect primarily the elderly and those with underlying health problems so the quarantine is still necessary for more or less all as the more social contact that goes on means more spread meaning more cases meaning more chance of pneumonia (for example) meaning more strain on resources.

My fiancée has a respiratory condition and therefore is of higher risk than myself and if you look at the playbook for that scenario she’s supposed to now  be at home for 12 weeks.  Her office is still open but today they will have to consider closing.

I am home based anyway so thankfully no real disruption other than my face to face interactions now move to conference call but most of my clients are too busy even for that.

The additional problem is human nature though and the crowd mentality of panic buying and “everyone for themselves” thought processes.  Panic buying is unnecessary and simply not needed - which is how I would describe the people who do it.

Thankfully there’s been some positives here like neighbours pulling together to help vulnerable or elderly people in the street or local area.  Some supermarkets are giving priority to elderly and disabled people by setting protected times for them to shop first thing as well as prioritising them for home deliveries.

Looking forwards to reading some books at least.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Ukraine, all possible concerts were also canceled, and this is especially sad, given that Judas Priest should come to us in June. They also closed all educational institutions (for students), restaurants, theaters and more. From today, the metro was also closed in those cities where it is (including in my city). The government is afraid of the spread of the virus, but makes the price of protective masks just huge!🤦‍♀️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SaintCapodastro said:

In Ukraine, all possible concerts were also canceled, and this is especially sad, given that Judas Priest should come to us in June. They also closed all educational institutions (for students), restaurants, theaters and more. From today, the metro was also closed in those cities where it is (including in my city). The government is afraid of the spread of the virus, but makes the price of protective masks just huge!🤦‍♀️

The masks don't really do anything btw, just one of the myths of the virus in terms of how to prevent it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are a few predictions from the Gorbo desk of things to come...

Seems to me it could be a good time to write music, and make album covers, so the art may get elevated. Also a good time to hang out on metal forums, I think this place will get a boost (I'm posting for the first time in a while for example). I predict that doom is the genre most apt to benefit from the pandemic, but thrash could pick up as well, I could see that with people's level of frustration. I think death and black metal may see some diminishing relevance, but that is probably my positivity bias speaking; it's hard to be sure. The mosh pit is going to have to go through an adjustment. In the coming years people will realize that moshing is a privalidge and not a right. Shitty bands who come on stage and say stupid shit like "We want to see the most brutal death spiral evveeerror !" are going to have to fuck off for several years into the future, as we all come to realize that moshing is a thing that must be reserved only for such bands as truly fucking rock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Depraved said:

Well I'm fucking bummed because I was psyched to go see Cloak again and some local bands in a few weeks but most of the venues here are being forced to close. Even the venue where Cloak is supposed to play which is like an hour from me, it's a 100-capacity bar but they're limiting capacity to 50 people including the staff and bands. How can any band financially justify driving 6 hours to play to a crowd of like, what, 30 people? Tickets are only $10 so I imagine they won't be making any money from this show - more likely they'd be losing money. And worse for them, this would be their second tour canceled in a row (first one was due to Faketushka and their personal squabbles fucking it up for everyone involved).

I mean, I get that they're trying to control the virus, but the American government especially has everyone here thinking they're going to die if they step outside, like it's a fucking global ebola epidemic and thousands of perfectly healthy people are dropping dead left and right in the street every day. To my knowledge, unless you're elderly or have a weak immune system for some other reason, coronavirus is basically like the flu (although I did hear that it can turn into pneumonia very quickly, so I suppose that's a cause for concern). My office is closed until at least the end of the month, so I have no income at the moment.

The governor where I live said today that "no concert is worth the spread of this pandemic". Clearly, this man has never been to a metal show. 😂  

It is getting pretty paranoid in my part of the US too.  Everything is selling out in grocery stores and all signs point to things getting worse.  I wish you luck with work.

1 hour ago, Depraved said:

 

 

This too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Balor said:

It is getting pretty paranoid in my part of the US too.  Everything is selling out in grocery stores and all signs point to things getting worse.  I wish you luck with work.

Thanks. I went out today to get some food and it's like a ghost town here. I live in a city of about 200,000 and at 5pm I saw maybe three other cars on the highway. It's crazy...most places are closed here too, just a few fast food places and only their drive thru is open. I was lucky enough to get pizza but they were only allowing takeout. It really is starting to feel kind of apocalyptic. The shows I had planned to attend were all officially canceled today. I was expecting it but it's still really disappointing.

I've been amusing myself searching "coronavirus metal" on youtube. I have nothing better to do. 😂

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel bad for everyone whose livelihood depends on gigs and touring. A few of my friends are professional musicians and they're kinda fucked right now - no idea where or when their next job will be, nothing to fall back on. I'm in the middle of painting one of the last album covers I have lined up, and that's gonna be it for me, professionally, for a couple months at least. 

I'm staying in. Basically pretending I'm sick, just in case I am, because who knows. The family only goes out for things we need, or walks in the woods. But that's pretty much the way I live anyway. I'm bummed we can't have band practice for a while, but I can jam on my own. I look forward to finally having an opportunity to work on my own art rather than illustrations, for a change; I'm enjoying the school closure because it means we all get more sleep. My son's eighth birthday is today and we managed to get him a couple things at the store. My wife works in healthcare and I'm worried about her getting sick. I'm hoping that if we do get sick, we get through it ok. I'm hoping we don't run out of food. I'm hoping my parents stay healthy, they're in their 70s and I haven't been able to visit them in way too long. 

Bummed about me personally missing metal shows? Not even a little bit. Public gatherings can fuck right off.

Best wishes to all of you in this weird time we've landed in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2020 at 2:42 AM, Depraved said:

Well I'm fucking bummed because I was psyched to go see Cloak again and some local bands in a few weeks but most of the venues here are being forced to close. Even the venue where Cloak is supposed to play which is like an hour from me, it's a 100-capacity bar but they're limiting capacity to 50 people including the staff and bands. How can any band financially justify driving 6 hours to play to a crowd of like, what, 30 people? Tickets are only $10 so I imagine they won't be making any money from this show - more likely they'd be losing money. And worse for them, this would be their second tour canceled in a row (first one was due to Faketushka and their personal squabbles fucking it up for everyone involved).

I mean, I get that they're trying to control the virus, but the American government especially has everyone here thinking they're going to die if they step outside, like it's a fucking global ebola epidemic and thousands of perfectly healthy people are dropping dead left and right in the street every day. To my knowledge, unless you're elderly or have a weak immune system for some other reason, coronavirus is basically like the flu (although I did hear that it can turn into pneumonia very quickly, so I suppose that's a cause for concern). My office is closed until at least the end of the month, so I have no income at the moment.

The governor where I live said today that "no concert is worth the spread of this pandemic". Clearly, this man has never been to a metal show. 😂  

To be honest when I put up this thread on I was a bit concerned I'd asked the wrong question as people are dying of this.  All the responses are enlightening and really well thought out and helped me to understand it better so thanks 👍😁 And definitely real sorry for everyone forced not to work because of this people like depraved.luckily Im not affected by this but looking for another job is on hold at moment. My personal and probably wrong opinion is governments surely have to help out those who are forced not to work because of this   

Up until today like depraved said a few days ago I did not really understand the fuss about the Corona virus and my opinion was I know why gigs are cancelled but is it really necessary I mean really. Now I can see why we need to stop metal gigs and alot of other things  as losing friends and family will be terrible, and chances the virus will do this are a real possibility if we do nothing. I'm kinda of hoping this will blow over in a few weeks but at least theres the forum to keep me sane until it does. 👻🦇 empty supermarket shelves are not good either. Some of the sold out items does make you chuckle like all the fresh milk is gone in city near me supermarkets. I mean why? 🤣   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Some of the sold out items does make you chuckle like all the fresh milk is gone in city near me supermarkets. I mean why?

Oh, my favorite is the toilet paper hoarding. It's such an absurd thing to hoard. I can understand buying like an extra 8-pack or something but I see pictures online and on the news of people with like five 24-packs in their cart. Even with a family of four that's going to take them like...an entire year to get through lol. Not to mention it's extremely selfish. Other people have to poop too, you know. At least we know now that in the event of a real apocalypse, there should be plenty of medicine and self-defense items available since everyone else is more concerned about wiping their ass! 🤣  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Depraved said:

Oh, my favorite is the toilet paper hoarding. It's such an absurd thing to hoard. I can understand buying like an extra 8-pack or something but I see pictures online and on the news of people with like five 24-packs in their cart. Even with a family of four that's going to take them like...an entire year to get through lol. Not to mention it's extremely selfish. Other people have to poop too, you know. At least we know now that in the event of a real apocalypse, there should be plenty of medicine and self-defense items available since everyone else is more concerned about wiping their ass! 🤣  

Totally agree hoarding massive supplies of toilet rolls and milk just prove how illogical most people are at times. 😂😂😂There's a good few posts by  Gary hoult of exodus on his social media site where he shares some very funny  alternative ways to make do without toilet rolls. Really good laugh. Laugh out loud but not my wife's type of humour as I found out 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many people here in the UK have been panic buying in the past couple of weeks.  In other words, they have been buying far more groceries than they need, leaving other people to go without.  At least one national newspaper has reported the case of a nurse who went grocery shopping after a 48-hour shift, and found the shelves empty in her local supermarket.

I went into four shops today.  Three had no toilet rolls, and one had just sold out as I arrived.  Fortunately I do not need any right now.

Other things which are hard to come by are bread, rice, pasta, and jars of cook in sauces.

I do not know anyone who is hoarding stuff, but I feel that if I did know anyone who is hoarding, then I would never speak to them again.  My country does not need selfish twats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone is a hoarder. Just some were too late. Just think, you wanted to buy toilet paper and you didn't need it. Everyone is selfish, everyone gets scared. Noone wants to go without.  In some towns in California they are limiting shoppers to only 2 pieces of each item.  Even with that some people will just go to multiple stores.

Another thing, people who hoard aren't going to tell you about it. The last thing they want is everyone hungry showing up at their door when things get worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, the_thrashing said:

... people who hoard aren't going to tell you about it. The last thing they want is everyone hungry showing up at their door when things get worse.

I disagree.  Yes, some people who hoard will do so secretly, but most people are visited by family, friends, neighbours, workmen, etc.  It is highly unlikely that many people who are hoarding will do so without at least one person noticing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2020 at 6:52 PM, Depraved said:

 

 

Well... I guess it's a case in point really. I admit of the possibility of bias on my part, and yet, here is evidence given in refutation that ironically bolsters my argument. I mean to say this smacks of irrelevance, this Corvid 19 tune, unless it reaches someone who has not started holding pasta yet. It's not in the least bit elevated either. But again, forecasting trends is hard, and we will just need to see how it plays out. The quality doom output I'm talking about will take a while to cook, so be patient please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we finally caught up with the rest of the world and went on full lockdown in the UK tonight.  Not much of a change for us since my fiancée and I have only had food delivered or been out for essentials when needed.

At the weekend the weather was warm and sunny and people just got together en masse as families or social groups, so blatantly ignoring the social distancing guidance.  Glad total lockdown is in place and there’s some degree of control over these selfish pricks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MacabreEternal said:

So we finally caught up with the rest of the world and went on full lockdown in the UK tonight.  Not much of a change for us since my fiancée and I have only had food delivered or been out for essentials when needed.

At the weekend the weather was warm and sunny and people just got together en masse as families or social groups, so blatantly ignoring the social distancing guidance.  Glad total lockdown is in place and there’s some degree of control over these selfish pricks.

It seems weird to me that the US got shut down before the UK.  I would have guessed that it would have been the other way around given your proximity to mainland Europe.  How are the grocery stores in your area?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MacabreEternal said:

So we finally caught up with the rest of the world and went on full lockdown in the UK tonight.  Not much of a change for us since my fiancée and I have only had food delivered or been out for essentials when needed.

At the weekend the weather was warm and sunny and people just got together en masse as families or social groups, so blatantly ignoring the social distancing guidance.  Glad total lockdown is in place and there’s some degree of control over these selfish pricks.

Could not agree more. Why the UK government would not put country on lockdown sooner was beyond me considering nearly every other country was already already doing it. 

I think the problem is that people think there are lots of grey areas with coronavirus and it's not a big deal and stark truth if you get the virus you could die as many of us are not in great health me included. My parents are high risk but they do not take the guidelines seriously enough and other family members are like that. It drives me crazy.  I do hope they will be alright plus the  front line healthcare workers in my family who follow the guidelines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Balor said:

It seems weird to me that the US got shut down before the UK.  I would have guessed that it would have been the other way around given your proximity to mainland Europe.  How are the grocery stores in your area?

Sparsely stocked.  Most of the food deliveries bring orders with multiple items missing.  A friend brought bread yesterday and left it in the porch out front so we didn’t actually see her to interact with.  Whether the lockdown eases the pressure on stores remains to be seen.

An acquaintance put an image up on social media of two friends of theirs who came to have a meal at their house dressed in head to toe painter overalls wearing masks and gloves like it was some fucking joke.  What’s wrong with people?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

Sparsely stocked.  Most of the food deliveries bring orders with multiple items missing.  A friend brought bread yesterday and left it in the porch out front so we didn’t actually see her to interact with.  Whether the lockdown eases the pressure on stores remains to be seen.

An acquaintance put an image up on social media of two friends of theirs who came to have a meal at their house dressed in head to toe painter overalls wearing masks and gloves like it was some fucking joke.  What’s wrong with people?

Food started returning to grocery stores here after a few days, but some items are still sold out.  The solution here seemed to be stores placing limits on the quantities of items people can buy.  People are getting really paranoid about this whole thing, and the fact that their paranoia has yet to let up is starting to be a bit scary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2020 at 9:39 AM, GothExplorer said:

I disagree.  Yes, some people who hoard will do so secretly, but most people are visited by family, friends, neighbours, workmen, etc.  It is highly unlikely that many people who are hoarding will do so without at least one person noticing.

I agree with goth explorer. It's the amount that some people are hoard ing. It's normal to buy enough to last you a week imo but not normal to buy enough for 6 months supply that's just selfish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

I agree with goth explorer. It's the amount that some people are hoard ing. It's normal to buy enough to last you a week imo but not normal to buy enough for 6 months supply that's just selfish. 

6 months?  People are buying supplies of toilet paper that should last a year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we haven´t yet seen half of it all of how the virus and dealing with it will effect both people and economy. Currently i´ve stopped anything but creative work from home (this was the plan before corona virus though), but the downside is i can´t see my daughter right now.. she used to be with me bi-weekly. My current wifey has a job where she gets exposed to hundreds of people every week.. and my step-daughter from previous relationship is well in the risk group, therefore it´s safest if my biological daughter won´t visit us either. Sucks balls, but as a positive side the virus haven´t yet affected our lives hugely so far apart from that. One of my only irl friends and his wife are both in risk group too.. but propably visiting them tomorrow anyway, it´s up to them to decide.. we have stuff we need to get done anyway and thankfully no illness of anykind in my family.. but it´s the ones without symptomst that spread it so not that simple.

There are loads of people in finland who aren´t as lucky unfortunately.. especially little companies are in huge trouble.. many have lost most of their income for the year in a matter of days. Worst part is, until we get a vaccine this situation is unlikely to be finished anytime soon. The whole point of quarantines, and limitations is that not too many people would get ill at the same time, therefore seriously testing the healthcare system.. it was never about stopping the virus. Since it is very prone to mutations, even a scenario where it stays as an permanent nuisance is well in the realm of possibility. Fingers crossed for the vaccine.. healtcare systems around the world, economy and people in general can´t take situation the way it´s developing to for extended periods.. it´s obvious. They should forget morals for once, and test the crap out of potential vaccines on elders.. just to get something out there that´s half decent as a protection. Modern moral set is propably one of the biggest hindrances when it comes to advancement in medicine.

 

Oh right.. let´s add that statistics are useless at this point.. This new one is so new, that basically any statistics are pointless to compare, and don´t hold any water. Let´s see in a year. There are some really fucked up reports from the people who are working in the worst areas, and how it effects the lungs.. and sometimes even presumably healthy 20-year olds too! There was this amazing long post by and italian doctor, it was translated to finnish.. can´t do i all now.. but heres the jist of it..

"We need to stop talking about this as a difficult flu, it's something else entirely. People coming in are here because they can't breathe, they really want to get oxygen. There is little we can do with medication, all we can do is watch the body fight the virus and try to support that. There is no flu that developes so rapid, developes such issues (in lungs especially), or infects as many people at once." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Join Metal Forum

    joinus-home.jpg

  • Our picks

    • Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

      Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.


      There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

      Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

      3/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/50-queensryche-the-verdict/
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies

    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
×