Cheers, Maniacs!

Corrosive

Hello to the forum!

I am not involved in the social media version of reality, so being here is a little strange. However, I enjoy conversation and the search for like-minded individuals in the part of the world I live in is getting to be rather tricky without it. A Classic forum is my compromise.

Other words will be in other topics...

Ave!

38 minutes ago, Parker said:

Hey, how's it going? I hate social media, and this forum is the only social media I use. Can you tell us about what metal you are into? Like, what are some of your preferred genres, favorite bands or albums?

Hello! It's the end of my work week and I have a box of records to play when I get home - so I am well, thanks!

I can find something enjoyable in just about every genre. But if I have to keep it condensed, I'll list a few bands I've listened to over the last few days:

Beherit, Deiphago, Hulder, Sangue, Pheretrum, Winter, Profanatica...

Non-Metal, lots of Swans lately...

I've been into Metal since I bought a cassette of ...And Justice for All when I was nine. I'll be 41 soon.

20 minutes ago, Corrosive said:

Hello! It's the end of my work week and I have a box of records to play when I get home - so I am well, thanks!

I can find something enjoyable in just about every genre. But if I have to keep it condensed, I'll list a few bands I've listened to over the last few days:

Beherit, Deiphago, Hulder, Sangue, Pheretrum, Winter, Profanatica...

Non-Metal, lots of Swans lately...

I've been into Metal since I bought a cassette of ...And Justice for All when I was nine. I'll be 41 soon.

Swans, early 40s, "Justice" as a gateway cassette. Fuck yes.

On 1/24/2020 at 2:08 PM, Natassja said:

Welcome :)

Thank You!

On 1/24/2020 at 1:23 PM, FatherAlabaster said:

Swans, early 40s, "Justice" as a gateway cassette. Fuck yes.

Have you heard the new Swans album, 'leaving meaning'? "Fuck Yes" is a worthy reaction to it.

I was amused at the "gateway cassette" description. I did have years of bands like Van Halen, Ozzy and Kiss floating around, but Metallica really changed everything. I had seen the video for 'One' first, as most kids from my era. I bought the tape either that weekend or the following one and I haven't been the same since.

For the sake of detail, I also bought Bon Jovi's - 'New Jersey'. Guess what style won...

6 hours ago, Corrosive said:

Thank You!

Have you heard the new Swans album, 'leaving meaning'? "Fuck Yes" is a worthy reaction to it.

I was amused at the "gateway cassette" description. I did have years of bands like Van Halen, Ozzy and Kiss floating around, but Metallica really changed everything. I had seen the video for 'One' first, as most kids from my era. I bought the tape either that weekend or the following one and I haven't been the same since.

For the sake of detail, I also bought Bon Jovi's - 'New Jersey'. Guess what style won...

I have not heard the new Swans, but it's good to hear a recommendation for it, I'll definitely make time for it. I'm a huge fan of the old stuff but haven't kept up with everything from the reincarnation period. I loved "To Be Kind" but find it such an immersive experience that I rarely can put aside the time to listen to it.

I also got turned on to Metallica through MTV. That "One" video was unreal at the time, huh? My dad brought home a tape of "Ride The Lightning" one day and that was kind of it for me. My copy of "Justice" was dubbed from a friend in some weird order to fit as much of it on the tape as possible, and it still cut off on one side halfway through the solo on "Frayed Ends Of Sanity". Still probably my favorite Metallica album.

I also have a "path not taken" cassette, in my case "Appetite For Destruction".

16 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I have not heard the new Swans, but it's good to hear a recommendation for it, I'll definitely make time for it. I'm a huge fan of the old stuff but haven't kept up with everything from the reincarnation period. I loved "To Be Kind" but find it such an immersive experience that I rarely can put aside the time to listen to it.

I also got turned on to Metallica through MTV. That "One" video was unreal at the time, huh? My dad brought home a tape of "Ride The Lightning" one day and that was kind of it for me. My copy of "Justice" was dubbed from a friend in some weird order to fit as much of it on the tape as possible, and it still cut off on one side halfway through the solo on "Frayed Ends Of Sanity". Still probably my favorite Metallica album.

I also have a "path not taken" cassette, in my case "Appetite For Destruction".

I didn't even have MTV at that point. I saw it on a late night video show called Night Tracks, if I recall correctly. They played the video numerous times as they were also running a contest to win a Zorlac skateboard with one of Pushead's Metallica graphics printed on the deck. Memory says it was the Pirate one. I could be wrong.

I neglected mentioning Guns N Fuckin' Roses. For shame. I had 'Appetite for Destruction' and 'Lies' prior to getting into Metallica. I still think those albums are tits! I remember buying 'Use Your Illusion 2' (my best friend at the time bought 'UYI1') and my uncle had to get it as they were trying to enforce carding people for the albums with a "Parental Advisory" sticker. That didn't last long though. I'm sure the dollars outweighed the "morals". For the record: I think the 'Illusion' albums are Rock masterpieces. For my ears, Nothing has surpased them in that genre.

I also neglected to keep up with the rebirth of Swans. Mostly due to Jarboe not being there when she was so crucial to so many great Swans moments. However, I bought the 'Deliquescence' 2xCD on a whim as a birthday gift to myself in 2018 and after that blowing me away, I have been slowly getting caught up. I ordered 'leaving meaning' the day it was announced.

One of the last books I read in 2019 was the book Nick Soulsby put together, Swans: Sacrifice and Transcendence. It is mandatory for Swans fans.

I have no pinned down favorite album, but 'The Great Annihilator' is the one I usually play for people that have never heard the band before. Such a great album!

19 hours ago, the_thrashing said:

Hi!

I don't use social media either. I'm somewhat new, I come and go  on this forum. There's some cool folks on here. Stick around, we'll talk metal.

Hi, back!

There's so much to read through on here! It's been fun. Also nice to see there aren't any bullshit net-battles going on. Not that I've stumbled upon, anyway.

I've been kicked off and or booed off by nasty comments of a few forums before. it happens. People here are cool pretty much. But I haven't been around lately til now. Who knows.

I'm a big horror fan, and a few forums all hate me for criticizing CGI. Im an old naysayer that hates the majority of new things. That was my latest internet backlash a while back.

Crawling back in my cave of shame now.

11 minutes ago, the_thrashing said:

I've been kicked off and or booed off by nasty comments of a few forums before. it happens. People here are cool pretty much. But I haven't been around lately til now. Who knows.

I'm a big horror fan, and a few forums all hate me for criticizing CGI. Im an old naysayer that hates the majority of new things. That was my latest internet backlash a while back.

Crawling back in my cave of shame now.

The most up-to-date Horror film I own is The Blair Witch Project, so you can likely guess where I stand on modern Horror. I spend way more time watching Horror/Sci-Fi from the 40s and 50s than anything else. However, I do champion flicks like The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Halloween, Friday the 13 and Nightmare on Elm Street. Obviously, the originals! Also, Night of the Living Dead - which is one of the only films I can say with no exaggeration that I have seen at least a hundred times.

Watch your step for guano.

15 minutes ago, ChainsawAkimbo said:

Welcome! :) 

Hello and Thank You!

17 minutes ago, Corrosive said:

The most up-to-date Horror film I own is The Blair Witch Project, so you can likely guess where I stand on modern Horror. I spend way more time watching Horror/Sci-Fi from the 40s and 50s than anything else. However, I do champion flicks like The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Halloween, Friday the 13 and Nightmare on Elm Street. Obviously, the originals! Also, Night of the Living Dead - which is one of the only films I can say with no exaggeration that I have seen at least a hundred times.

Watch your step for guano.

Hello and Thank You!

Yeah I'm a big fan of all the classic flicks you mentioned. I'm more into 70s/80s horror like Phantasm, Exorcist, Amittyville 1, Evil  Dead, the Omen etc horror went south for me in the mid 90s but everything went south for me around that time, metal too. I still like a few new ones like Hereditary and Inside (the original French 1) but they are few and far between. TV too, I haven't followed a single TV show since Masters of Horror. Out of action/adventure/comedy I hate all of it except old 80s and 70s stuff. I don't like any of the new comedians. I don't use FB. I'm a weirdo. That's why I live in a cave and say NAY to the outside world.

I used to watch a lot of 50s scifi b movies on tv when I was a kid. I can't remember many of them though aside from the Sadist. Found it in a dvd bargain bin way back and it was great.

On 1/28/2020 at 11:17 AM, Corrosive said:

I didn't even have MTV at that point. I saw it on a late night video show called Night Tracks, if I recall correctly. They played the video numerous times as they were also running a contest to win a Zorlac skateboard with one of Pushead's Metallica graphics printed on the deck. Memory says it was the Pirate one. I could be wrong.

I neglected mentioning Guns N Fuckin' Roses. For shame. I had 'Appetite for Destruction' and 'Lies' prior to getting into Metallica. I still think those albums are tits! I remember buying 'Use Your Illusion 2' (my best friend at the time bought 'UYI1') and my uncle had to get it as they were trying to enforce carding people for the albums with a "Parental Advisory" sticker. That didn't last long though. I'm sure the dollars outweighed the "morals". For the record: I think the 'Illusion' albums are Rock masterpieces. For my ears, Nothing has surpased them in that genre.

I also neglected to keep up with the rebirth of Swans. Mostly due to Jarboe not being there when she was so crucial to so many great Swans moments. However, I bought the 'Deliquescence' 2xCD on a whim as a birthday gift to myself in 2018 and after that blowing me away, I have been slowly getting caught up. I ordered 'leaving meaning' the day it was announced.

One of the last books I read in 2019 was the book Nick Soulsby put together, Swans: Sacrifice and Transcendence. It is mandatory for Swans fans.

I have no pinned down favorite album, but 'The Great Annihilator' is the one I usually play for people that have never heard the band before. Such a great album!

I couldn't pick a favorite either. I even have trouble picking just one to play for people. The Great Annihilator is awesome, probably the most consistent and road-trip-worthy of their 90s stuff. Children Of God was my first one and it still casts a spell over me when I sit down with it, and Filth is just perfect for what it is. I have all the studio stuff and some of the live recordings and related projects from that era, and I honestly think it's all great, but those three and the Various Failures compilation are the ones I play the most often. I agree that Jarboe brought something really special to the band, but to my ears that magic didn't extend to her solo stuff. The Swans book sounds interesting, I hadn't heard about it. Must check it out.

Did you ever get into The Angels Of Light? They had some amazing material as well, and a great live show.

I used to absolutely love GNR, at least for Appetite and the two Use Your Illusion albums, but they wore thin for me sometime in my mid to late teens and I just never regained my appreciation. I'm surprised now that I think about it. I would expect to have at least some residual nostalgic attachment to them, but it hasn't materialized so far.

The idea of the "parental advisory" stickers was flawed to begin with - if anything it made albums seem more desirable. In hindsight it was charmingly naive. The good old days, huh?

18 hours ago, the_thrashing said:

Yeah I'm a big fan of all the classic flicks you mentioned. I'm more into 70s/80s horror like Phantasm, Exorcist, Amittyville 1, Evil  Dead, the Omen etc horror went south for me in the mid 90s but everything went south for me around that time, metal too. I still like a few new ones like Hereditary and Inside (the original French 1) but they are few and far between. TV too, I haven't followed a single TV show since Masters of Horror. Out of action/adventure/comedy I hate all of it except old 80s and 70s stuff. I don't like any of the new comedians. I don't use FB. I'm a weirdo. That's why I live in a cave and say NAY to the outside world.

I used to watch a lot of 50s scifi b movies on tv when I was a kid. I can't remember many of them though aside from the Sadist. Found it in a dvd bargain bin way back and it was great.

I've long been a fan of those classics you mentioned. Phantasm was watched three times around Halloween last year. Also Evil Dead a few times with the commentary tracks, because I am that dorky.

A lot of weird sterilization happened in the 90s. That's why people thought Slipknot was edgy and Blair Witch was "real". (For any SK fans - I don't care if you like them. It's totally cool with me. Just don't try to sell me a popsicle stick as a butcher knife.)

The last Sci-Fi / Horror tv show I enjoyed when it was on the air was Friday the 13th: The Series. Some of those stories were wonderfully creepy, and well shot and acted, from what I recall. I haven't seen it since then and though I have seen the DVD reissue floating around, I've not picked it up yet.

3 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I couldn't pick a favorite either. I even have trouble picking just one to play for people. The Great Annihilator is awesome, probably the most consistent and road-trip-worthy of their 90s stuff. Children Of God was my first one and it still casts a spell over me when I sit down with it, and Filth is just perfect for what it is. I have all the studio stuff and some of the live recordings and related projects from that era, and I honestly think it's all great, but those three and the Various Failures compilation are the ones I play the most often. I agree that Jarboe brought something really special to the band, but to my ears that magic didn't extend to her solo stuff. The Swans book sounds interesting, I hadn't heard about it. Must check it out.

Did you ever get into The Angels Of Light? They had some amazing material as well, and a great live show.

I used to absolutely love GNR, at least for Appetite and the two Use Your Illusion albums, but they wore thin for me sometime in my mid to late teens and I just never regained my appreciation. I'm surprised now that I think about it. I would expect to have at least some residual nostalgic attachment to them, but it hasn't materialized so far.

The idea of the "parental advisory" stickers was flawed to begin with - if anything it made albums seem more desirable. In hindsight it was charmingly naive. The good old days, huh?

I think like most GnR fans back then, the absurd Rockstar bullshit Axl was pulling so often, Izzy leaving, and that weak covers album, we were all left annoyed and the power had faded into nothing. If you have the time, sit down and watch a full set from the Illusion tour, when Izzy is still there, and you'll quickly get that fire back in your belly. Most sets, Axl needs a few tunes for his voice to warm up - then it's on!

My first Swans purchase was the 'Feel Good Now' live CD, immediately followed by 'Soundtracks for the Blind'. I bought everything I could after that.

I enjoy Angels of Light, also. I don't actually own any though. Something that needs correcting, certainly. And I do agree with the Jarboe comment. I still like that material, but it isn't quite the same. Which is a good thing, really. How lame would it be if she had just tried to copy herself? So to speak.

You're right about those dumb labels. I knew people that would intentionally search for them. "Dirty words that'll piss off mom and dad? Give me two!"

It's no coincidence that most of those doing it for the trend-records have been forgotten.